Mayonnaise as frugal head lice remedy!

1 view

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2008, 8:37:37 PM7/30/08
I first heard of this in "The Nation."

From the September 20, 2007 column, "Poverty Is Hazardous to Your
Health":

"The patient, mother of a month-old baby, was crying on the phone
because for the past two days she had been tormented by head lice
(Pediculosis capitis, if you really want to know). A simple problem,
you might think--head lice is endemic among schoolchildren, as many a
parent could tell you--and one that hardly needs a high-powered
medical consultation. You just go to the drugstore, buy a bottle of
Nix (permethrin) over the counter and spend a lot of time with that
little plastic comb. But Nix costs $22.99, and this woman didn't have
it. By then it was Saturday night, and the drugstores in her
neighborhood were closed until Monday. Fortunately, there was an all-
night pharmacy, so Michele prescribed her permethrin, which Medicaid
would pay for."

So in October, someone wrote a letter and said that he/she had had
lice, used relatively cheap mayonnnaise, and it worked like a dream.
Of course, one can get mayo with food stamps if need be.

See here for more.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lice+mayonnaise&btnG=Search

(One person says: "Use the real mayo - NOT Miracle Whip!")

If this works for most cases of lice, it would also help prevent lice
from building up immunities to stronger remedies.

Lenona.

MarieD

Jul 30, 2008, 11:34:59 PM7/30/08

<leno...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lice+mayonnaise&btnG=Search
>
> (One person says: "Use the real mayo - NOT Miracle Whip!")
>
> If this works for most cases of lice, it would also help prevent lice
> from building up immunities to stronger remedies.

I just used hair conditioner and a comb that comes in lice kits. My daughter
had waist-length curly hair so it was hell to get through it, but it worked
and the other stuff didn't.
Marie

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 31, 2008, 1:02:16 AM7/31/08
I heard that Vaseline also works well. The point is, it smothers the
lice, sort of like drowning a tick in oil so it will pull out and can
then easily be removed.

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2008, 1:49:02 AM7/31/08
On Jul 31, 1:02 am, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

<samh...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote:
> I heard that Vaseline also works well. The point is, it smothers the
> lice, sort of like drowning a tick in oil so it will pull out and can
> then easily be removed.

How in the world do you get Vaseline OUT of hair - especially long
hair - without a quart of shampoo?

Lenona.

Jul 31, 2008, 6:22:30 AM7/31/08

<leno...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It just takes about 10 shampoos. I put Vaseline in my hair (to soften it!)
when I was 10. Not my most shining moment, but my long hair was incredibly
soft for about 6 months!

TMcLone