Free iPods at Key Bank

Gordon

Aug 1, 2007, 10:29:24 PM8/1/07
If you have a Key Bank in your area you can
get a free iPod by opening a checking account.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Key Bank and this
is not spam. I thought readers of this list might
be intrested in snagging a free iPod (very frugal).

The details:
I'm not sure of the geographic coverage of Key Bank.
The account in question is their free checking account.
You need to deposit at least $50.00 to open the account.
The account must remain open for at least 2 months.
You have to actually use the account.
Delayed gratification; your iPod will be shipped
to you around November.

I went to Key today and opened my account.
I'll keep you posted on the details.

Brontide

Aug 2, 2007, 9:19:25 AM8/2/07
On Aug 1, 10:29 pm, Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
> If you have a Key Bank in your area you can
> get a free iPod by opening a checking account.

Be forewarned, they didn't get the name "fee"-bank for nothing.

While it is possible that if you follow the letter of the promotion
you may get a 1gb nano ( the old model ~ $110 retail ) if you follow
the following rules. ( see complete listing below ).

* Open the account before Aug 24th
* Two -AUTOMATED- deposits/payments of at least $100 before Oct 26th
( not including bill pay or debit card use )
* You will be taxed on the value of the iPod ( probably around $150,
so another ~$30 in taxes to the IRS )
* If you close the account within 6 months they charge you $25

If you do all that you will get an iPod sometime in December
( hopefully ). Key Bank also charges fees up the wazoo, things like
using a teller will cost you $5. Even if you do get your iPod you
will have tied up cash for 6 months, probably incurred the wrath of at
least $5 in fees, and have to pay at least $30 in additional taxes. I
have looked into it in the past and it has never seemed like a good
deal.

-Eric

"Free Checking only applies to a Key Express Free Checking Account.
You must open a Key Express Free Checking (this is the basic banking
account in NY) or a Key Advantage Checking Account between July 21,
2007 and August 24, 2007, and make a combination of two direct
deposits and/or automated payments each of $100 or more by October 26,
2007 and you will receive your iPod® by December 15, 2007. Automated
payments excludes Key Bill Pay and debit card automated payments.
Offer available to individuals without an existing checking account at
KeyBank as of July 20, 2007. Employees of KeyBank, its affiliates and
subsidiaries are not eligible for this offer. Limit one free iPod nano
per qualifying account. Limit one free iPod nano per individual. Offer
valid while supplies last. The value of the iPod nano will be reported
on Form 1099-INT. If you close your account within 180 days of account
opening, you will be charged a $25 account early closure fee. Accounts
overdrawn or closed as of October 26, 2007 are not eligible for this
offer. Account titled as Trust Accounts, Non-Individual, Estate, and
No Access are excluded from eligibility. You must have a U.S. mailing
address on October 26, 2007 to be eligible. The iPod nano shipped may
differ from the iPod nano shown. Offer is subject to cancellation
without notice, and cannot be combined with any other offer. Other
miscellaneous charges may apply. iPod nano is a registered trademark
of Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple is not a
participant of this promotion. Key.com is a federally registered
service mark of KeyCorp."

Parallax

Aug 2, 2007, 11:11:30 AM8/2/07

Choosing your banking institution based on the brand of digital music
player they supply hardly seems like a frugal move.

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

Rick

Aug 2, 2007, 12:17:27 PM8/2/07
Brontide wrote:

> On Aug 1, 10:29 pm, Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
> > If you have a Key Bank in your area you can
> > get a free iPod by opening a checking account.
>
> Be forewarned, they didn't get the name "fee"-bank for nothing.
>
> While it is possible that if you follow the letter of the promotion
> you may get a 1gb nano ( the old model ~ $110 retail ) if you follow
> the following rules. ( see complete listing below ).

iPod nano? Isn't that the one nobody wants? The one with no user
controls or display that just plays song selections randomly? Is that
even available in the retail market any longer? Such a deal!

Rick

Rod Speed

Aug 2, 2007, 1:42:30 PM8/2/07

Sure, but if the bank suits otherwise, and the alternatives dont offer anything
to sign up with them, and the device appeals, why not take advantage of it ?

Gordon

Aug 2, 2007, 8:17:00 PM8/2/07

> Brontide wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 1, 10:29 pm, Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
>> > If you have a Key Bank in your area you can
>> > get a free iPod by opening a checking account.
>>

> iPod nano? Isn't that the one nobody wants? The one with no user
> controls or display that just plays song selections randomly? Is that
> even available in the retail market any longer? Such a deal!
>
> Rick

No Rick,
You are thinking of the Shuffle.
If you took a few seconds to use Google, you would have
seen that the Nano has a display and a scroll wheel.

Gordon

Aug 2, 2007, 8:34:51 PM8/2/07
Brontide <eri...@gmail.com> wrote in news:1186060765.313689.38180
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> On Aug 1, 10:29 pm, Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
>> If you have a Key Bank in your area you can
>> get a free iPod by opening a checking account.
>

> Be forewarned, they didn't get the name "fee"-bank for nothing.

I understand this. No one gives away a $100.00+ promo item
without the hope of getting most of it back. I'm entering
a minefield and I'm aware of that(I read the fine print).

> While it is possible that if you follow the letter of the promotion
> you may get a 1gb nano ( the old model ~ $110 retail ) if you follow
> the following rules. ( see complete listing below ).

From what I have been able to determine, I believe that they are
giving away a 2GB Nano. But even if I get a 1G, that would be
OK too.

Oh, and thanks for the better fine print. The other
readers of the list will thank you.

> * Open the account before Aug 24th

Done

> * Two -AUTOMATED- deposits/payments of at least $100 before Oct 26th
> ( not including bill pay or debit card use )

Easy

> * You will be taxed on the value of the iPod ( probably around $150,
> so another ~$30 in taxes to the IRS )

I get all my taxes back any way.

> * If you close the account within 6 months they charge you $25

One the two automated transactions are done, what's the cost
of holding the account inactive??

> If you do all that you will get an iPod sometime in December
> ( hopefully ).

Yes, I mentioned that.

> Key Bank also charges fees up the wazoo, things like
> using a teller will cost you $5. Even if you do get your iPod you
> will have tied up cash for 6 months, probably incurred the wrath of at
> least $5 in fees, and have to pay at least $30 in additional taxes. I
> have looked into it in the past and it has never seemed like a good
> deal.
>
> -Eric

YMMV: I am not closing my account at my favorite credit union. And I
advies anyone who wants to try this to keep any existing accounts open
too. That way you can do just enough business with Key to qualify for
the iPod, and avoid those activities that incure a fee.

FYI: I got about 11 pages of fine print that I am perusing.

Gordon

Aug 2, 2007, 8:37:37 PM8/2/07
Parallax <Parallax-G@???????.com> wrote in news:Cumsi.268$9h.79
@trndny04:

Well no, of course not. And I did not mean to suggest that
you should. I am keeping my longstanding accounts with my
favorite credit union open. And I intend to keep doing business
with them. But that doesn't mean I can't milk Key Bank for the
iPod.

Gordon

Aug 2, 2007, 8:44:03 PM8/2/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in

Or just do the minimum required to qualify for the iPod. See it as
an oppertunity to milk the system. Please see some of the fine print
that was posted by Eric. This is a minefield and you need to read the
fine print and follow the rules. I'm guessing they figure that
most people won't follow all the rules and will be disqualified,
the fees that they collect from those will justify the expense of
buying an iPod for the few that do qualify. READ THE FINE PRINT.