Gore’s personal electricity consumption up 10%

Brad Naylor

Jun 17, 2008, 7:56:32 PM6/17/08
Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month - at a cost of $16,533 A
MONTH!

Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for
a Month
Gore's personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite "energy-efficient"
home renovations

NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more
energy-efficient, the former Vice President's home energy use surged more
than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

"A man's commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind
the closed doors of his own home," said Drew Johnson, President of the
Tennessee Center for Policy Research. "Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud
when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home
energy consumption."

In the past year, Gore's home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of
electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change
speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature.
The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore's
Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American
household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore's massive home
energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more
energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal
system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and
overhauling the home's windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more
electricity than before the "green" overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June,
Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month -1,638 kWh more energy per
month than before the renovations - at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the
average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according
to the Energy Information Administration.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore
won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his
personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to
speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

"Actions speak louder than words, and Gore's actions prove that he views
climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,"
Johnson said. "Gore is exploiting the public's concern about the environment
to line his pockets and enhance his profile."

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market
think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore's home
energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric
Service.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brad Naylor

Jun 18, 2008, 9:06:36 AM6/18/08

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <QaY5k.5811$89....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,

> "Brad Naylor" <brad_...@live.com> wrote:
>
>> Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month - at a cost of $16,533 A
>> MONTH!
>>

>> Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes
>> for
>> a Month
>> Gore's personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite
>> "energy-efficient"
>> home renovations
>>
>> NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more
>> energy-efficient, the former Vice President's home energy use surged more
>> than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.
>
> What they conveniently forget is tat Gore runs his offices out of his
> home and he also sells power to the local power utility. If you were a
> former VP and did the kind of work Gore does out of his home, with a
> contingent of staff on hand all day at home, you too would use more
> electricity than the average person.

"Sells power"? He pays $16,533 to the electric utility. Contingent staff?
How many, and do they in fact work in the private residence that this 20
room/8 bathroom mansion is listed as? If he does in fact have a large
resident staff that accounts for some of his exorbitant consumption, why
doesn't he say that instead of: "After the Tennessee Center for Policy

Research exposed Gore's massive home energy use, the former Vice President
scurried to make his home more energy-efficient."

How's this for energy efficiency:
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university,
this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction
can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and
is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central
closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water
through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67
degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system
uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of
the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system.
Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon
underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes
into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The
collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers
and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding
rural landscape.

This house, also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private
residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

George

Jun 18, 2008, 9:45:06 AM6/18/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <QaY5k.5811$89....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,
> "Brad Naylor" <brad_...@live.com> wrote:
>
>> Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month - at a cost of $16,533 A
>> MONTH!
>>

>> Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for
>> a Month
>> Gore's personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite "energy-efficient"
>> home renovations
>>
>> NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more
>> energy-efficient, the former Vice President's home energy use surged more
>> than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.
>
> What they conveniently forget is tat Gore runs his offices out of his
> home and he also sells power to the local power utility. If you were a
> former VP and did the kind of work Gore does out of his home, with a
> contingent of staff on hand all day at home, you too would use more
> electricity than the average person.

Some sort of new math? If he paid $16,533 to the utility wouldn't that
reflect his net usage?

Jeff

Jun 18, 2008, 11:08:35 AM6/18/08
Brad Naylor wrote:
> Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month - at a cost of $16,533 A
> MONTH!
>

> Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for
> a Month

Hmm, year to months?

> Gore's personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite "energy-efficient"
> home renovations
>
> NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more
> energy-efficient, the former Vice President's home energy use surged more
> than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

A few caveats.

1) That's not his total energy use, just the electric component. He's
switched to a ground source heat pump (for DHW also), so his natural gas
usage is a fraction of what it was.

2) The conversions were at the end of last year, so a fairer assessment
would be the total energy use over the same months since the retrofits.

3) Since he is generating his own power also, he may have separate
metering for the Green Power he is selling. Green Power sells at a premium.

4) This is not all personal, as it is a working office with an unknown
number of staffers.

His spokeswoman claims a 40% reduction in total energy use and a 90%
reduction in natural gas.

Now, I think that is a lot of energy, nonetheless. But I don't think
it is unusual for a house of that size. I have a few baby McMansions
down the street from me. The electric meter reader tells me that some of
those are already breaking 3,000 kWHr/month (they also have natural
gas). Now that's for new construction, a fraction (a tenth) of the size
of Gore's House.

All this goes to show that the proliferation of Mansions and
McMansions is unsustainable. Kudos to George W for his Texas White House.

But in the end, this is all about shooting the messenger, not the
message. We've had 7 years of that, and while some of you will be waxing
nostalgic, I'm ready to move on.

Jeff

Message has been deleted

Goomba

Jun 18, 2008, 2:15:01 PM6/18/08
Jeff wrote:

> All this goes to show that the proliferation of Mansions and
> McMansions is unsustainable. Kudos to George W for his Texas White House.

Do we know anything about the Crawford, Texas house? I can't think of
ever hearing how large or energy efficient it might be?

Brad Naylor

Jun 18, 2008, 2:47:34 PM6/18/08

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> Does "pissing into the wind" mean anything to you? Don't waste your time
> exchanging with sloganeering thought-deficient nitwits; just be sure to
> VOTE! Unfortunately ballots do not offer "none of the above" so you'll

Vote for "NOBODY"

NOBODY will keep election promises.

NOBODY has all the answers.

NOBODY will listen to your concerns.

NOBODY will help the poor and unemployed.

NOBODY will make a real difference.

NOBODY cares!

NOBODY can be trusted to spend your tax dollars wisely.

NOBODY knows nothing.

If NOBODY is elected, things will be better for everyone.

NOBODY tells the truth!

Of course, you have the freedom to not vote for NOBODY.

But if you don't vote for NOBODY, SOMEBODY wins.

Brad Naylor

Jun 18, 2008, 2:49:42 PM6/18/08

"Goomba" <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I'll repeat, for your benefit:

Goomba

Jun 18, 2008, 3:26:25 PM6/18/08
Brad Naylor wrote:
> "Goomba" <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff wrote:
>>
>>> All this goes to show that the proliferation of Mansions and McMansions
>>> is unsustainable. Kudos to George W for his Texas White House.
>>>
>> Do we know anything about the Crawford, Texas house? I can't think of ever
>> hearing how large or energy efficient it might be?
>
> I'll repeat, for your benefit:

Thank you. It was probably a benefit for others who may also have missed
it before? It certainly isn't well publicized information.

> Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university,
> this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction
> can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and
> is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central
> closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water
> through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67
> degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system
> uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of
> the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system.
> Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon
> underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes
> into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The
> collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers
> and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding
> rural landscape.

Very impressive.

Jeff

Jun 18, 2008, 3:37:49 PM6/18/08

But what's the electric bill? Al Gores home also has geothermal
heating and cooling now, as does he have a waste water recovery plan.

Jeff

Goomba

Jun 18, 2008, 4:31:34 PM6/18/08
Jeff wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> Very impressive.
>
> But what's the electric bill? Al Gores home also has geothermal heating
> and cooling now, as does he have a waste water recovery plan.
>
> Jeff

I'm pretty sure the electric bill on a 4K sq foot house is a lot less
than the mansion Gore owns?

Jeff

Jun 18, 2008, 10:42:05 PM6/18/08

Probably, as W's home is 2 1/2 times smaller, but who knows. You can
stuff a lot of energy hungry devices in a 4000 SF home. If you read the
article (on Gore) closely you'll see that there is a lot of funny math
going on.

I commend George W on his Texas Home, now if only he lead the way he
lives at home.

Jeff