Pickets at non-Union grocers?

Seerialmom

Sep 22, 2008, 2:42:22 PM9/22/08
Recently my favorite off price grocery retailer, Grocery Outlet, has
been targeted by the UFCW union who has 4-6 people outside in the
parking lot with picket signs. This particular Grocery Outlet has
been in town for over 20 years...so why start picketing now??
Supposedly the reason for the pickets is because G.O. doesn't pay the
employees "union wages"; but none of the picketers ever worked for
G.O. nor are the employees of G.O. disgruntled?

Luckily the store does have a big fan base; it seems that the other
union based supermarkets are afraid that with this economy their
customers might "find" Grocery Outlet? The store isn't for everyone.
If you just want to go in and get the same old, same old you buy week
in and week out, don't go to Grocery Outlet because you might never
see the same item twice.

Chances are, regular shoppers of Grocery Outlet rarely, if ever, shop
at union stores nor do they even know what the difference is?

Gordon

Sep 22, 2008, 6:34:50 PM9/22/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:f0cd604e-cafa-4473-8545-
ef8228...@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

UFCW is a bunch of Loonies. There is no grey area in their
thinking. Union = Good, NonUnion = Spawn of Satan.

Ken Lay

Sep 22, 2008, 6:54:21 PM9/22/08
In article <Xns9B219E7ED9BC...@194.177.96.26>,
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

> UFCW is a bunch of Loonies. There is no grey area in their
> thinking. Union = Good, NonUnion = Spawn of Satan.

Wonder why oh why would they think that way? Probably just invisible
voices, huh? All those unionize grocery workers belong in straitjackets,
don't they? Not like the commonsense capitalists who brought us naked
short selling.
--
Everybody lies. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney just suck at it.

Seerialmom

Sep 22, 2008, 6:54:54 PM9/22/08
On Sep 22, 3:34 pm, Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
> Seerialmom <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:f0cd604e-cafa-4473-8545-
> ef822858b...@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com:
> thinking.  Union = Good, NonUnion = Spawn of Satan.- Hide quoted text -

I guess not. I looked on their website and they have a whole list of
stores "not to do business with" because they also sell some grocery
items and aren't union, including Longs Drugs?? What I find odd is
the stores that do use the union have "self-checkouts"...and I use
them. Yet Grocery Outlet and the others mentioned still have their
checkers?

In this *.pdf file they're also talking about picketing Tesco (Fresh &
Easy) and the list I mentioned is further down.

http://www.ufcw135.org/workers/2008%20FEBRUARY.pdf