vacuum sealers or vacuum packagers

1 view

dhouston

Oct 13, 2007, 8:51:54 AM10/13/07
Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
experience with them?

Janie

Oct 13, 2007, 11:29:29 AM10/13/07

<dhouston> wrote in message

> Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
> I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
> experience with them?

I own one; it was a gift. The bags are expensive but can be reused. Just
My Opinion, but this is just another item that ends up at the back of the
cupboard . I just don't like all the messing around that is involved with
using the thing. Plastic containers work almost as well and are much more
economical to use.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Oct 13, 2007, 11:59:42 AM10/13/07

<dhouston> wrote in message
> Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
> I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
> experience with them?

i just read or heard on the tv that the ziploc freezer bags do just as well
for freezing. you just need to be sure to squeeze out as much air as you
can since that's what causes the freezer burn. and you can double bag if
you feel safer.

Dennis

Oct 13, 2007, 12:41:25 PM10/13/07

I have one. Maybe it's the bags I use -- I got a continuous roll of
bag material, so each "bag" requires two sealing operations -- but I
have trouble getting a reliable vacuum seal. It will appear to be
sealed, but often when I later go to use the package it is no longer a
vacuum.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

turtlelover

Oct 13, 2007, 1:39:43 PM10/13/07

I have a Magic Vac Maxima, purchased from an eBay vendor. Magic Vac is made in Italy, by the original maker of the Foodsaver (before they changed to Chinese manufacturing). It's a great machine. I also use it for sealing mason jars of dry, dehydrated, or refrigerated foods.

A different eBay vendor sells bags inexpensively (compared to Foodsaver brand), and she also has the Maxima on sale for ... get this ... $99. (I paid $158 at a different vendor's store.)

I have no affiliation with either vendor. If someone wants the store info, let me know. Just remove "the obvious" to reply.

Cheers,
Turtlelover

Don K

Oct 13, 2007, 1:45:17 PM10/13/07
<dhouston> wrote in message news:inf1h3t2thj7nv6sa...@4ax.com...
> Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
> I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
> experience with them?

In my single days, I had a simple one that just had a pair of heated wires that
squeezed together, without the vacuum option.

It worked ok, but it wasn't worth the hassle of buying special rolls of
plastic, IMO.

The neat part about it was that it could be used to reseal packaging
that came with various products (like bread, bagels etc.) if they
used the right kind of soft plastic that could be re-melted.

I wouldn't bother buying another one, but if I ever come across my old
sealer again, I wouldn't mind using it again.

Don

Logan Shaw

Oct 13, 2007, 2:22:36 PM10/13/07
Don K wrote:
> <dhouston> wrote in message news:inf1h3t2thj7nv6sa...@4ax.com...
>> Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
>> I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
>> experience with them?
>
> In my single days, I had a simple one that just had a pair of heated wires that
> squeezed together, without the vacuum option.

Was it called the Seal-a-Meal? When I was a kid, our family got one of those
(it was mustard yellow), and you had to count to 10 seconds, I think it was,
for the plastic to melt together. The instructions advised counting by saying
"one seal a meal, two seal a meal, ...", so my sister and I made up a dumb
little song (with those lyrics) you could sing while you were waiting for it.
Frugal entertainment, or something.

- Logan

Don K

Oct 13, 2007, 3:17:14 PM10/13/07
"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Yes, that's it!

Tockk

Oct 16, 2007, 2:24:03 AM10/16/07

<dhouston> wrote in message
> Just wondering if those vacuum sealers/packagers really work or should
> I say really preserve frozen food as they advertise? Anyone have
> experience with them?

I have one, and instead of using plastic bags, I use the plastic containers
(clear boxes). You put the stuff in the box, put the cover on, hook a
plastic hose from the vacuum to the box, pump out the air, turn a knob on
the box's lid, to seal, and that's it. Dunno how well it works -- I had
some stuff frozen in it, but the power company turned my electricity off,
and I had to toss out everything in the frige. Gotta try again, I guess.