"Ask Amy" on hosts who try to shake you down

leno...@yahoo.com

Aug 16, 2007, 2:24:34 PM8/16/07
Enjoy - for what it's worth.
Lenona.

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/chi-0816askamyaug16,0,1353428.column

Dear Amy: Yesterday we went to the home of a friend for dinner. There
were 25 guests.

My wife and I brought a moderately priced bottle of wine.

Following dinner and before dessert, an announcement was made by the
host that a collection of money was being made to defray the costs. My
wife and I were appalled by this as the host is by no means in need of
money.

We have invited this person to our home several times in the past and
would never think of assessing our guests for anything. Should we have
contributed? How would one politely refuse? We have decided never to
attend any future functions by this host. Your thoughts?

-- Stunned by the Host

Dear Stunned: I would have thought this unbelievable, but a similar
thing happened to me recently. Now I wonder if this is an unfortunate
trend.

I don't think that there is a polite way to refuse to contribute in
this situation, though one could say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't bring
any cash with me; do you take Visa?"

Bob's Backfire Burrito

Aug 16, 2007, 2:33:09 PM8/16/07

<leno...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

HAHAHA!!
First I would do an "Upperdeck" in the bathroom. For people not familiar
with the term or practice, it's taking a shit in the TANK of the toilet. It
works great!
Give them $5 and leave. NEVER return!
Real friends do things for each other without thinking of a "Return" on
their actions. The people that did this are shitbags.

Winston Smith, American Patriot

Aug 16, 2007, 4:18:31 PM8/16/07
leno...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

It would have been acceptable if an announcement had been made in the
invitation that contributions to defray costs would be requested.

But to spring it on the guests like that is completely beyond the bounds
of even bad etiquette.

I just returned to the United States after more than a dozen years abroad,
living in a place where there are still Old World manners. Absolutely NO
person in his right mind would have asked for a dime from me.

In fact, I even invited people to lunch, and when it was time for me to
pay, they insisted on paying for the both of us, saying that I was a
"guest" because I was a foreigner. I finally convinced them that it was
right for me to pay, and largely on the reason that I was no longer a
"guest" there after several years of living there, but the generosity of
these people are astounding.

Now that I am back in the U.S., I am singularly unimpressed with the
changes I have seen here. Aside from the complete decline in the quality
of products and of customer service of many businesses, I see a kind of
rude self-centeredness in this Generation X---or is it Generation W?----
that is certainly appalling. People you thought you knew well turn out to
disappoint you deeply. There is a total indifference to personal or
professional responsibility, and I wonder if it doesn't reflect a person's
decision that if the people who lead this government can be completely
unaccountable for their actions and indifferent to their own
responsibilities, then why should the common man?

freeisbest

Aug 16, 2007, 4:41:20 PM8/16/07
On Aug 16, 4:18 pm, "Winston Smith, American Patriot"
<FranzKa...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote:
> lenona...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

I'm sorry to have to agree with you. Even a couple of weeks in
any of the European nations is enough to shows that this country has
been Walmartized.
The mannerless arrogance that is starting to be our most
noticeable national trait, does suggest that young people think our
Nuculer president is a strong argument against real work, sobriety,
willingness to defend this country in time of war, willingness to
defend the Constitution, and mental effort.
As for the people who treated dinner guests as if they were
customers in a restaurant... the best way to deal with them is to
simply to tell this story to one other person in that social group.
Not gossip, or complaint, mind you. Just a simple statement should
make it clear to other prospective guests what the terms of their
invitation are likely to be.

Rod Speed

Aug 16, 2007, 5:08:07 PM8/16/07

You wanna try one of the slums in one of those countrys.

> The mannerless arrogance that is starting to be our most
> noticeable national trait, does suggest that young people think our
> Nuculer president is a strong argument against real work, sobriety,
> willingness to defend this country in time of war, willingness to
> defend the Constitution, and mental effort.

Hasnt got a damned thing to do with the prez.

Winston Smith, American Patriot

Aug 17, 2007, 2:43:03 AM8/17/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in
misc.consumers.frugal-living:

> freeisbest <demeter...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 16, 4:18 pm, "Winston Smith, American Patriot"
>> <FranzKa...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote:

I think President Dick Cheney is rather proud of how this nation has
turned out. Not to mention the up-yours foreign policy that has been
implemented.

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Aug 17, 2007, 5:26:54 AM8/17/07
Winston Smith, American Patriot <Franz...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote:

>I think President Dick Cheney is rather proud of how this nation has
>turned out. Not to mention the up-yours foreign policy that has been
>implemented.

Once in a while, he tells the truth :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY

Nick

Rod Speed

Aug 17, 2007, 5:46:55 AM8/17/07
Winston Smith, American Patriot <Franz...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> freeisbest <demeter...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Winston Smith, American Patriot <FranzKa...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote

Who cares ? He's passed his useby date.

> Not to mention the up-yours foreign policy that has been implemented.

See above.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Aug 17, 2007, 9:37:51 AM8/17/07

<nicks...@ece.villanova.edu> wrote in message

but is cathy obrien telling the truth about cheney hunting her?

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=cathy+obrien+the+most+dangerous+game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY1_w99XwA

cat

Aug 17, 2007, 2:06:36 PM8/17/07
"Winston Smith, American Patriot" <Franz...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote
in message

> Now that I am back in the U.S., I am singularly unimpressed with the
> changes I have seen here. Aside from the complete decline in the quality
> of products and of customer service of many businesses, I see a kind of
> rude self-centeredness in this Generation X---or is it Generation W?----
> that is certainly appalling.

It's not a sudden change.

Almost 30 years ago, I was in the military, stationed far from home (but
within the US). A number of us were invited to a home for Thanksgiving
dinner. At the end of the meal, we were told we had to pay for our share.
The irony is that I had eaten very little, thinking I did not want to use
too much of the family's resources. Had I known I'd be charged for the
food, I'd have at least filled my stomach.

Jan 8, 2008, 10:39:58 AM1/8/08
> Dear Amy: Yesterday we went to the home of a friend for dinner. There
> were 25 guests.
>
> My wife and I brought a moderately priced bottle of wine.
>
> Following dinner and before dessert, an announcement was made by the
> host that a collection of money was being made to defray the costs. My
> wife and I were appalled by this as the host is by no means in need of
> money.
>
> We have invited this person to our home several times in the past and
> would never think of assessing our guests for anything. Should we have
> contributed? How would one politely refuse? We have decided never to
> attend any future functions by this host. Your thoughts?
>
> -- Stunned by the Host
>
> Dear Stunned: I would have thought this unbelievable, but a similar
> thing happened to me recently. Now I wonder if this is an unfortunate
> trend.
>
> I don't think that there is a polite way to refuse to contribute in
> this situation, though one could say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't bring
> any cash with me; do you take Visa?"

That's exactly what I would have said, since I rarely have more than a few
singles in my wallet. Unbelievable!

Mac Cool

Jan 9, 2008, 7:29:28 PM1/9/08
I believe it is a trend. I've been invited out to a couple of birthday
parties in the last year or so and without warning have had to pay my
share. I think if you don't want to pay for your guests then you should
either have a party at home or at least warn them in advance that it's a
dutch affair.

--
Mac Cool

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 9:45:09 PM1/9/08
Mac Cool wrote:

You'd think. Perhaps the first response when invited to a party
nowadays should be "Will there be a fee?" If the answer is yes, I think
the next response should be "Hey, do you think I have to PAY to have a
good time with a (wo)man?" with as much injured pride as it's possible
for you to simulate.

I can't imagine even knowing people like that, much less going to one of
their parties.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross