Frugal air fares still exist

George Grapman

Oct 13, 2008, 11:18:32 PM10/13/08
I wanted to head east for Thanksgiving but the fares were all in
the %800 to 1,000 range. Kept playing around with the sites and found
that travelocity had a fare for $450 ($20 more than if I chose to return
on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving rather than on Monday.
Non-stop both ways,aisle seats and the red eye going east which is
always my preference.

Al Bundy

Oct 15, 2008, 2:16:32 PM10/15/08

I guess so. I just checked Orbitz and found a United flight from
Chicago-New York for $198 round trip with one stop, less for being
over 65. The non-stop price was $256. The dates I selected were
leaving 11/26 and returning 12/2. Of course, I don't know where you
are coming from or going to.

Los Angeles to NYC on the same dates was $244.
(All taxes included.)
Hope you didn't get hosed.

George Grapman

Oct 15, 2008, 2:24:56 PM10/15/08
Al Bundy wrote:
> On Oct 13, 11:18 pm, George Grapman <sfgeor...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> I wanted to head east for Thanksgiving but the fares were all in
>> the %800 to 1,000 range. Kept playing around with the sites and found
>> that travelocity had a fare for $450 ($20 more than if I chose to return
>> on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving rather than on Monday.
>> Non-stop both ways,aisle seats and the red eye going east which is
>> always my preference.
>
> I guess so. I just checked Orbitz and found a United flight from
> Chicago-New York for $198 round trip with one stop, less for being
> over 65. The non-stop price was $256. The dates I selected were
> leaving 11/26 and returning 12/2. Of course, I don't know where you
> are coming from or going to.

SF to New York.

Al Bundy

Oct 15, 2008, 5:44:19 PM10/15/08

Orbitz shows $284 with one stop from SF.

George Grapman

Oct 15, 2008, 5:52:49 PM10/15/08

It is a bit surprising that some people do not shop around. I have
talked to several people who pick travel dates ,call up an airline and
pretty much accept the quoted price. On the other hand there are people
who spend hours online to save a few dollars.
When flying east I generally want two things beside price, a red eye
and a non-stop flight. If I have to I will accept a stop over but not a
change of planes (too many problems with missed connections and luggage)

George Grapman

Oct 15, 2008, 6:07:20 PM10/15/08

P.S. The other thing I always want is an aisle seat,a little more
leg room and easier to get up and stretch.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

George Grapman

Oct 16, 2008, 9:32:57 AM10/16/08
jdoe wrote:
> look harder, united sent me their weekly sale list on tuesday ord/nyc
> 104 each way non stop
But was it for the period I am traveling,Thanksgiving and from SFO?.
Thanks anyway but the ticket has been purchased.

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 4:44:38 PM10/16/08
jdoe wrote:

> orbitz doesn't always have the lowest fares, I have found dealing
> direct with the airline always get the lowest fares, search on
> www.kayak.com select a flight and then buy it directly from the
> airline

Ditto. I've used Orbitz twice, but Kayak is better and gets my vote
next time. Curiously enough, now Delta has the best prices for
Ontario-RDU; 6 months ago it was Continental. Maybe I can get a flight
via SLC, which I would really like to do during the day.

--
Cheers, Bev
Just as you cannot explain snow to a summer insect, so also you cannot

George Grapman

Oct 16, 2008, 6:43:33 PM10/16/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> jdoe wrote:
>
>> orbitz doesn't always have the lowest fares, I have found dealing
>> direct with the airline always get the lowest fares, search on
>> www.kayak.com select a flight and then buy it directly from the
>> airline
>
> Ditto. I've used Orbitz twice, but Kayak is better and gets my vote
> next time. Curiously enough, now Delta has the best prices for
> Ontario-RDU; 6 months ago it was Continental. Maybe I can get a flight
> via SLC, which I would really like to do during the day.

Earlier this year I found a fare on Jet Blue from SF to NY on a
travel site. I was ready to take it but they would not give me a seat
selection . Since I always want an aisle seat unless I have no choice I
went to the Jet Blue site and got the same two non-stops for $20 less
and aisle seats.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 8:18:17 PM10/16/08

Feh. I want window seats. I want to look and take pictures and NEXT
time I'll take the little hand-held Garmin eMap GPS unit ($1 at a yard
sale) and record waypoints so I can figure out what that cool thing in
the picture is.

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Oct 16, 2008, 11:20:58 PM10/16/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Ditto. I've used Orbitz twice, but Kayak is better and gets my vote
>>> next time. Curiously enough, now Delta has the best prices for
>>> Ontario-RDU; 6 months ago it was Continental. Maybe I can get a
>>> flight via SLC, which I would really like to do during the day.
>>
>> Earlier this year I found a fare on Jet Blue from SF to NY on a
>> travel site. I was ready to take it but they would not give me a seat
>> selection . Since I always want an aisle seat unless I have no choice
>> I went to the Jet Blue site and got the same two non-stops for $20
>> less and aisle seats.
>
> Feh. I want window seats. I want to look and take pictures and NEXT
> time I'll take the little hand-held Garmin eMap GPS unit ($1 at a yard
> sale) and record waypoints so I can figure out what that cool thing in
> the picture is.

T To each their own.On a red eye there is nothing to see. I prefer to
sleep,have a little more leg room and stretch out in the aisle without
waking/walking over people.

I always try to get the next to last row. Most people want to be
closer to the front so they can run off and wait for their bags. This
gives me a better chance for at least the middle seat to be empty and
maybe all three. Also, the last row is sometimes the seat of last resort
as it does not recline so if it is empty I grab it as soon as the seat
belt sign goes off.

As far as frugal goes I bring my own food,better and cheaper than
airline food (If they even have a meal) and I eat what I want when I want.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 11:36:28 PM10/16/08
George Grapman wrote:

I love aerial views. I love maps. The opportunity to do it live is
irresistible. I also sit in the back so the wings don't get in the way,
and choose the north side of the plane so I don't have to stare into the
sun. I fly so infrequently that the trip itself is a treat.

> I always try to get the next to last row. Most people want to be
> closer to the front so they can run off and wait for their bags. This
> gives me a better chance for at least the middle seat to be empty and
> maybe all three.

I have yet to experience an empty seat. I guess that's what comes of
going for the cheapest flights I can find. Hey, we're all cattle, what
do we need room for?

> Also, the last row is sometimes the seat of last resort
> as it does not recline so if it is empty I grab it as soon as the seat
> belt sign goes off.

"Recline"? What is this "recline" of which you speak? 5 degrees is NOT
reclining.

> As far as frugal goes I bring my own food,better and cheaper than
> airline food (If they even have a meal) and I eat what I want when I want.

Food is unimportant, and drink just means I might have to fight my way
to the bathroom. The disadvantage of sitting in the back, of course, is
that the aroma of the disinfectant wafts over you each time somebody
opens or closes the john door. Big deal, but I might think differently
if one of the occupants had severe bowel problems...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly,

George Grapman

Oct 16, 2008, 11:39:31 PM10/16/08

Beats sitting upright for 6 hours.

>> As far as frugal goes I bring my own food,better and cheaper than
>> airline food (If they even have a meal) and I eat what I want when I
>> want.
>
> Food is unimportant, and drink just means I might have to fight my way
> to the bathroom. The disadvantage of sitting in the back, of course, is
> that the aroma of the disinfectant wafts over you each time somebody
> opens or closes the john door. Big deal, but I might think differently
> if one of the occupants had severe bowel problems...

I tend to get hungry and thirsty over period of time.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 11:56:05 PM10/16/08
George Grapman wrote:

Wiss!

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Oct 17, 2008, 5:30:20 PM10/17/08
The Real Bev wrote:

> George Grapman wrote:

>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Food is unimportant, and drink just means I might have to fight my way
>>> to the bathroom. The disadvantage of sitting in the back, of course, is
>>> that the aroma of the disinfectant wafts over you each time somebody
>>> opens or closes the john door. Big deal, but I might think differently
>>> if one of the occupants had severe bowel problems...
>>
>> I tend to get hungry and thirsty over period of time.
>
> Wiss!

<sigh> I meant "wuss" and I typed "scissors" :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Oct 17, 2008, 6:52:33 PM10/17/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> George Grapman wrote:

>>> I tend to get hungry and thirsty over period of time.
>>
>> Wiss!
>
> <sigh> I meant "wuss" and I typed "scissors" :-(

N N o problem, it's the thought that counts.