MSN article: "High food prices? Here's how to save"

leno...@yahoo.com

May 5, 2008, 4:50:47 PM5/5/08
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/HowToFight5FoodBudgetKillers.aspx?GT1=33009

It's 3 pages long and includes a link: "How to shop organic on a
budget"

They also ask for your personal tips on saving!

One thing I hadn't heard of before was how to make powdered milk more
palatable.

Lenona.

Seerialmom

May 5, 2008, 5:08:40 PM5/5/08
On May 5, 1:50 pm, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/HowTo...

> It's 3 pages long and includes a link: "How to shop organic on a
> budget"
>
> They also ask for your personal tips on saving!
>
> One thing I hadn't heard of before was how to make powdered milk more
> palatable.
>
> Lenona.

I use my powdered milk for cooking only (like in mashed potatoes); so
the liquid taste isn't an issue. I'm betting most of the readers of
this newsgroup know how to shop organic on a budget already (or they
don't shop, they raise their own stuff).

My own personal tips for saving were born from necessity...see if I
can get the basics at Dollar Tree, 99¢ Only or Big Lots, hit Grocery
Outlet next and scope out the loss leaders from the Wednesday sales
ads (plus the Sunday glossy ads). Once those sources have been used I
fill in using Sam's Club or Costco.

mavigozler

May 6, 2008, 9:11:48 AM5/6/08
leno...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/HowToFi
> ght5FoodBudgetKillers.aspx?GT1=33009

> It's 3 pages long and includes a link: "How to shop organic on a
> budget"

I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE granny
smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per apple.

Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???

George Grapman

May 6, 2008, 9:16:35 AM5/6/08
Last week the local farmers market had them at $1.25 a pound

mavigozler

May 6, 2008, 11:56:33 AM5/6/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in
misc.consumers.frugal-living:

> mavigozler wrote:
>> leno...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:
>>
>>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/HowTo

>>> Fi ght5FoodBudgetKillers.aspx?GT1=33009

>>> It's 3 pages long and includes a link: "How to shop organic on a
>>> budget"
>>
>> I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE
>> granny smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per
>> apple.
>>
>> Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???
>>
> Last week the local farmers market had them at $1.25 a pound

Whose LOCAL farmers' market?

The one in this city?

Seerialmom

May 6, 2008, 5:42:44 PM5/6/08
On May 6, 6:11 am, mavigozler <mavigoz...@turkiye.gov> wrote:
> lenona...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

Amazingly, had you crossed the bridge to West Sacramento you could
have gone to Grocery Outlet on Harbor Blvd and paid about half that
much (or less). But seriously...Safeway is VERY expensive (mostly).
I'd think Davis would have weekend or weekday farmers markets where
you could buy fairly cheap, too?

SMS

May 6, 2008, 9:52:00 PM5/6/08
mavigozler wrote:

> I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE granny
> smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per apple.
>
> Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???

The problem is that you're shopping at Safeway. Had you gone to Costco,
Smart & Final, an Asian market, or a Mexican market, you would have paid
much, much less. Safeway is often more expensive than even Whole Foods.

Last week Whole Foods had non-organic navel oranges at $1.33 per pound.
The Chinese market near me had them at 33¢ per pound.

You can't find groceries much more expensive than Safeway or Lucky.

The Real Bev

May 6, 2008, 11:56:32 PM5/6/08
SMS wrote:

> mavigozler wrote:
>
>> I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE granny
>> smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per apple.

Only the truly desperate or profligate would pay a buck for an apple.

>> Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???
>
> The problem is that you're shopping at Safeway. Had you gone to Costco,
> Smart & Final, an Asian market, or a Mexican market, you would have paid
> much, much less. Safeway is often more expensive than even Whole Foods.

I almost never buy produce at Costco -- you have to buy too much, and
the price isn't all that much better than what you get at the supers AND
you still have to wait for it to ripen.

S&F is a little better, but the ethnic markets are the way to go.

> Last week Whole Foods had non-organic navel oranges at $1.33 per pound.
> The Chinese market near me had them at 33¢ per pound.

Same for the Italian and middle-eastern stores here.

> You can't find groceries much more expensive than Safeway or Lucky.

Gelson's, Whole Foods...

BTW, our friendly independent health food store has brown rice and
rolled oats for 99 cents/pound (50 cents/pound a year ago). Steel-cut
oats were $1.20/lb. I'd heard about them but never tried, so I bought
some. Disappointed. Too long to cook and no better than rolled.

--
Cheers, Bev
Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?

lionel

May 7, 2008, 3:42:20 AM5/7/08
On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:11:48 GMT, mavigozler <mavig...@turkiye.gov>
wrote:

Yeah, food prices are going up and up due mostly to fuel increases
but you are shopping at Safeway, a unionized chain of grocery stores
(I am not knocking union jobs at all, but its just a fact that they
cost more, if you can afford it. ) and the simple fact is that you
would be better off shopping at Food-4-Less or a Winco
supermarket, then a Safeway or Raleys' grocery supermarket.

SMS

May 7, 2008, 6:37:20 AM5/7/08
The Real Bev wrote:

>> You can't find groceries much more expensive than Safeway or Lucky.
>
> Gelson's, Whole Foods...

There are several items I buy at Whole Foods that are much cheaper than
at Safeway or Lucky. While Costco and Sam's Club are by far the cheapest
major chains for groceries, at least Costco has a few areas where their
offerings are poor, including yogurt, OJ, and HFCS-free soda.

The local consumer publication for the Bay Area did a market basket
survey and found Costco and Sam's to be between 36% and 41% cheaper than
Safeway and Albertson's (now the Albertson's out here have been sold to
SaveMart and have been rebranded as Lucky). It was interesting how they
did their comparison. The 36% was for package sizes that were not more
than 2x the supermarket package size, while 41% was for the larger, and
less expensive unit cost, packages. This type of comparsion was really
useful, since many of the Costco products, while larger in size than
typical supermarkets, are not so huge that an individual or small family
would be discouraged from buying them.

OTOH, Costco can be exasperating. They had the cheapest price for
bananas, and when their supplier raised their price they simply stopped
carrying bananas. Personally, I wouldn't have minded 40ข/pound bananas
instead of 30ข/pound bananas, since even S&F charges 49ข. Even the
ethnic markets charge a lot more than 40ข/pound.

Cheapo Groovo

May 7, 2008, 12:57:21 PM5/7/08
A price book is a good tool

An apple tree takes care of apple prices

Use local farmers markets - you can haggle price with these folks

http://www.cheapogroovo.com

In article <237d25e2-2047-4ab4-bb27-144c0d610e61@
26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>, leno...@yahoo.com says...

mavigozler

May 7, 2008, 1:08:26 PM5/7/08
lionel <lio...@yahoo.com> wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

> On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:11:48 GMT, mavigozler <mavig...@turkiye.gov>
> wrote:
>
>>leno...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:
>>
>>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/HowTo

>>> Fi ght5FoodBudgetKillers.aspx?GT1=33009

>>> It's 3 pages long and includes a link: "How to shop organic on a
>>> budget"
>>
>>I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE
>>granny smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per
>>apple.
>>
>>Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???
>
> Yeah, food prices are going up and up due mostly to fuel increases
> but you are shopping at Safeway, a unionized chain of grocery stores
> (I am not knocking union jobs at all, but its just a fact that they
> cost more, if you can afford it. ) and the simple fact is that you
> would be better off shopping at Food-4-Less or a Winco
> supermarket, then a Safeway or Raleys' grocery supermarket.

Food-4-Less in Woodland, where I used to live until the end of last month,
were selling the apples @ 1.58/lb a couple of weeks ago. Safeway was
selling them @ 1.99/lb, which is why I paid $5.49 for 5 apples.

I don't live in Davis: the farmer's open-air markets are on Sat morn and
Wed afternoon, and it is not always convenient. Much of the time, they
are selling higher-priced organics anyway. I don't even think the non-
organics are allowed a stand.

I returned to the USA several months ago after 15 years abroad. I was
telling the people among whom I was living that food and other essentials
were a small percentage of the necessary living costs of the household
budget. I have to make a special trip back to tell them I was sadly
mistaken.

Dennis

May 7, 2008, 4:17:22 PM5/7/08
On Tue, 06 May 2008 20:56:32 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steel-cut
>oats were $1.20/lb. I'd heard about them but never tried, so I bought
>some. Disappointed. Too long to cook and no better than rolled.

$0.40/lb in the bins at the local WinCo. I cook them in the rice
steamer -- 2:1 water:oats for 30 minutes. Start 'em and forget 'em
while you make the coffee and read the paper. I like them way better
than rolled oats.

Dennis (evil)

George Grapman

May 7, 2008, 5:04:41 PM5/7/08
Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 20:56:32 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Steel-cut
>> oats were $1.20/lb. I'd heard about them but never tried, so I bought
>> some. Disappointed. Too long to cook and no better than rolled.
>
> $0.40/lb in the bins at the local WinCo. I cook them in the rice
> steamer -- 2:1 water:oats for 30 minutes. Start 'em and forget 'em
> while you make the coffee and read the paper. I like them way better
> than rolled oats.
>
> Dennis (evil)

I came across them by accident at Trader Joe's and love them. My
morning routine is get up, have coffee,check email ans shower. By the
time those are done the oats are ready.

Nicik Name

May 7, 2008, 11:22:16 PM5/7/08

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> SMS wrote:
>
>> mavigozler wrote:
>>
>>> I was in the grocery store (Safeway in Davis, CA) and I bought FIVE
>>> granny smith apples for $5.49. That works out to about $1.10 per apple.
>
> Only the truly desperate or profligate would pay a buck for an apple.
>
>>> Has the dollar gone down the toilet THAT MUCH???
>>
>> The problem is that you're shopping at Safeway. Had you gone to Costco,
>> Smart & Final, an Asian market, or a Mexican market, you would have paid
>> much, much less. Safeway is often more expensive than even Whole Foods.
>
> I almost never buy produce at Costco -- you have to buy too much, and the
> price isn't all that much better than what you get at the supers AND you
> still have to wait for it to ripen.
>
> S&F is a little better, but the ethnic markets are the way to go.
>
>> Last week Whole Foods had non-organic navel oranges at $1.33 per pound.
>> The Chinese market near me had them at 33¢ per pound.
>
> Same for the Italian and middle-eastern stores here.
>
>> You can't find groceries much more expensive than Safeway or Lucky.
>
> Gelson's, Whole Foods...
Trader Joes.....?
Ouch.......walked out.
Went over to AP

Seerialmom

May 8, 2008, 6:02:40 PM5/8/08
On May 7, 8:22 pm, "Nicik Name" <orb...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "The Real Bev" <bashley101+use...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:_L9Uj.160$rc...@newsfe06.lga...

> > SMS wrote:

> > Only the truly desperate or profligate would pay a buck for an apple.

> >> The problem is that you're shopping at Safeway. Had you gone to Costco,
> >> Smart & Final, an Asian market, or a Mexican market, you would have paid
> >> much, much less. Safeway is often more expensive than even Whole Foods.
>
> > I almost never buy produce at Costco -- you have to buy too much, and the
> > price isn't all that much better than what you get at the supers AND you
> > still have to wait for it to ripen.
>
> > S&F is a little better, but the ethnic markets are the way to go.
>
> >> Last week Whole Foods had non-organic navel oranges at $1.33 per pound.
> >> The Chinese market near me had them at 33¢ per pound.
>
> > Same for the Italian and middle-eastern stores here.
>
> >> You can't find groceries much more expensive than Safeway or Lucky.
>
> > Gelson's, Whole Foods...
>
> Trader Joes.....?
> Ouch.......walked out.
> Went over to AP

I've only gone to Trader Joe's a few times, one time out of
curiosity...they had a dozen eggs on sale for .99¢ so I bought them.
Went again when I ran out of eggs, still .99¢...next time...up to $2+
so I went to 99¢ Only, instead :)

Seerialmom

May 8, 2008, 6:04:36 PM5/8/08
On May 7, 12:42 am, lionel <lio...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:11:48 GMT, mavigozler <mavigoz...@turkiye.gov>
> wrote:
>
> >lenona...@yahoo.com wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-living:

Raley's is good if you can catch their loss leaders, like the Angus
Tri-Tip they had last week for $2.97 a pound? I would have stocked
up...except I stocked up last time and still have plenty :) I agree
full retail is horrible at any major grocery store.