when does the tripling of grain prices "hit the fan"?

rick++

Feb 17, 2008, 1:11:59 PM2/17/08
Wheat and corn prices have quadrupled in the past two years
due to ethanol and international grain demand.
I read a sad Denver news story about hobby horse owners
having to put down their animals because monthly feed
costs have trebled. They could board a horse at $500 a
month but not $1500.
I havent seen this passed through bakeries like the 1979-1980
jump, but I guess its coming.

Don Klipstein

Feb 17, 2008, 2:54:21 PM2/17/08
In <9eea2763-200d-4e2b...@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
rick++ wrote:

Wheat recently hit a high of $10.93 per bushel for March delivery:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080208/usda_wheat_commodities_wrap.html?.v=1

A bushel of weight is 60 pounds of wheat.

http://www.cyberspaceag.com/kansascrops/whatsinabushel.htm

So wheat costs about 18 cents per pound. The wheat in a $2-plus
22-ounce loaf of bread costs about 25 cents at the latest high prices of
wheat.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Al Bundy

Feb 17, 2008, 4:48:13 PM2/17/08

So perhaps the cost of horse meat will be going down. It all evens out.

Rod Speed

Feb 17, 2008, 4:48:23 PM2/17/08
rick++ <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wheat and corn prices have quadrupled in the past two years

Pig ignorant lie.

> due to ethanol and international grain demand.

The same reason that prices always vary.

> I read a sad Denver news story about hobby horse owners having
> to put down their animals because monthly feed costs have trebled.

And you were actually stupid enough to believe it.
You dont have to feed horses on grain, stupid.

> They could board a horse at $500 a month but not $1500.

> I havent seen this passed through bakeries like
> the 1979-1980 jump, but I guess its coming.

Nope, because the drought that has produced the main hike wont last long enough.

Don Klipstein

Feb 17, 2008, 5:10:03 PM2/17/08
In <slrnfrh47...@manx.misty.com>, I, Don Klipstein wrote:

> Wheat recently hit a high of $10.93 per bushel for March delivery:
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080208/usda_wheat_commodities_wrap.html?.v=1
>
> A bushel of weight is 60 pounds of wheat.
>
>http://www.cyberspaceag.com/kansascrops/whatsinabushel.htm
>
> So wheat costs about 18 cents per pound. The wheat in a $2-plus 22-ounce
>loaf of bread costs about 25 cents at the latest high prices of wheat.

Make that less than 25 cents - bread is roughly half water, much of it
added.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

catalpa

Feb 17, 2008, 9:03:19 PM2/17/08

"rick++" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Your data is wrong. Corn had doubled going from $2.50 to $5.00 and wheat has
more than tripled going from $3.10 to $10.50. The higher prices will cause
record levels of planting in 2008.

larry

Feb 18, 2008, 12:35:51 PM2/18/08

Using/confusing food stock for fuel is never a good idea.

The history of the Easter Islands is a good example. You
don't cut down all the trees, when your existence depends on
them. There is a similar Cree Indian saying.

-- larry / dallas

larry

Feb 18, 2008, 12:58:21 PM2/18/08
catalpa wrote:

Corn prices are now dropping, gumint subsidies for the
conversion plants skewed the real cost of the new fuel.
Ironically, transportation (fuel) costs from field to plant
to user have shuttered some plants.

Localized solar (direct heat/voltaic/bio growth/wind)
storage and use (thermal mass/chemical/biomass) are much
more efficient than centralized energy. But the
government/politics/money is the beneficiary and saviour of
centralized.

-- larry / dallas

Rod Speed

Feb 18, 2008, 2:23:03 PM2/18/08
larry <f...@foobar.com> wrote
> Don Klipstein wrote
>> Don Klipstein wrote

>>> Wheat recently hit a high of $10.93 per bushel for March delivery:

>>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080208/usda_wheat_commodities_wrap.html?.v=1

>>> A bushel of weight is 60 pounds of wheat.

>>> http://www.cyberspaceag.com/kansascrops/whatsinabushel.htm

>>> So wheat costs about 18 cents per pound. The wheat in a $2-plus 22-ounce loaf of bread costs about 25 cents at the
>>> latest high prices of wheat.

>> Make that less than 25 cents - bread is roughly half water, much of it added.

> Using/confusing food stock for fuel is never a good idea.

Wrong. Its an excellent way of using fast food cooking oil etc.

> The history of the Easter Islands is a good example.

Nope, we arent a tiny island.

> You don't cut down all the trees, when your existence depends on them.

Our existence doesnt depend on anything like that.

There isnt even a shortage of grain.

> There is a similar Cree Indian saying.

Pity the world moved on just a tad since their time.

Rod Speed

Feb 18, 2008, 2:24:55 PM2/18/08
catalpa <cat...@entertab.org> wrote
> rick++ <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote

>> Wheat and corn prices have quadrupled in the past two years
>> due to ethanol and international grain demand.
>> I read a sad Denver news story about hobby horse owners
>> having to put down their animals because monthly feed
>> costs have trebled. They could board a horse at $500 a
>> month but not $1500.

>> I havent seen this passed through bakeries like the 1979-1980
>> jump, but I guess its coming.

> Your data is wrong. Corn had doubled going from $2.50 to $5.00 and wheat has more than tripled going from $3.10 to
> $10.50.

And much of the increase has been due to drought, not ethanol production.

> The higher prices will cause record levels of planting in 2008.

And the weather will determine the yield, as always.

Rod Speed

Feb 18, 2008, 2:27:04 PM2/18/08

But arent generally much good as a transport fuel.

> But the government/politics/money is the beneficiary and saviour of centralized.

Its a hell of a lot more viable than localised for electricity etc.

RodSpeed,_the_EWA_fund_is_doing_great

Feb 21, 2008, 5:52:23 PM2/21/08

Stock up on sale items. This is a frugal group, right? Let the wealthy
subsidize our wheat.