One-time credit card numbers?

Ken

Aug 26, 2008, 12:11:26 PM8/26/08
I've read that credit card companies will supply their card holders with
a credit card number good for only one transaction, for example for a
mail order or internet purchase.

If true, how does one get one of these numbers? Phone call? Web site?
I've seen no info in the billing stuff I get, but I could easily have
overlooked it - I'm mainly interested in the current charges and balance
amount.

TIA

Ken

Goomba

Aug 26, 2008, 12:37:54 PM8/26/08
Ken wrote:
> I've read that credit card companies will supply their card holders with
> a credit card number good for only one transaction, for example for a
> mail order or internet purchase.
>
> If true, how does one get one of these numbers? Phone call? Web site?
> I've seen no info in the billing stuff I get, but I could easily have
> overlooked it - I'm mainly interested in the current charges and balance
> amount.

AMEX used to offer this service (called "Private Payments") but stopped
it a couple of years ago. I loved it and regret its demise :(

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Aug 26, 2008, 1:09:30 PM8/26/08
Ken wrote:
> I've read that credit card companies will supply their card holders with
> a credit card number good for only one transaction, for example for a
> mail order or internet purchase.
>
> If true, how does one get one of these numbers? Phone call? Web site?
> I've seen no info in the billing stuff I get, but I could easily have
> overlooked it - I'm mainly interested in the current charges and balance
> amount.

I get it online with my Citicard. Go to the same web site where I pay
my bill, and there's an option to get a one-time card.

DLC

Aug 26, 2008, 2:01:20 PM8/26/08
Ken wrote:
> I've read that credit card companies will supply their card holders with
> a credit card number good for only one transaction, for example for a
> mail order or internet purchase.
>
> If true, how does one get one of these numbers? Phone call? Web site?
> I've seen no info in the billing stuff I get, but I could easily have
> overlooked it - I'm mainly interested in the current charges and balance
> amount.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Citi Bank and Discover cards have virtual or one time use account
numbers. MBNA used to have these as well, but I am not sure after the
Bank of America purchase.

You need to install software on your computer to generate the temporary
accounts.

The Real Bev

Aug 26, 2008, 5:58:01 PM8/26/08

Not necessarily one time only, you get to choose the amount and duration.

--
Cheers, Bev
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting

Dee

Aug 27, 2008, 8:03:21 AM8/27/08
DLC <D...@dlc.biz> wrote in

I have an MBNA (now BOA) card and can generate new card numbers on
the website or by installing software on my pc. You choose the $
amount and the length of time the card is good for (2 to 12 months).
The only limitation is each card number can be used by only one
merchant.

I also have a Chase card but so far I haven't found a similar service
from them.

Dee

Ken

Aug 27, 2008, 10:11:00 AM8/27/08
DLC <D...@dlc.biz> wrote in

> Ken wrote:

I looked at www.citicards.com but no luck so far. Perhaps the wrong site.

Ken

Aug 27, 2008, 10:16:42 AM8/27/08
Dee <d@d.d> wrote in news:Xns9B075522AE71Eddd888
@ispnews.usenetserver.com:

I have FIA, Citi & Chase but no BOA card.

> I also have a Chase card but so far I haven't found a similar service
> from them.

I looked at their site too but didn't see anything.

> Dee

Tiziano

Aug 29, 2008, 11:35:36 PM8/29/08
Ken:
If you have a Discover card, you can generate virtual credit card
numbers using either their software of via their web site.

Here is the link for more information:
http://www.discovercard.com/customer-service/security/create-soan.html

Please note that in some cases you will not be able to use a virtual
credit card number to purchase something. One example is the purchase
of airline tickets; your real credit card number must be used for
security reasons.
--
Tiziano

Tim Smith

Aug 31, 2008, 9:56:34 PM8/31/08
In article <IxXsk.19059$xZ.1...@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>,

DLC <D...@dlc.biz> wrote:
> Citi Bank and Discover cards have virtual or one time use account
> numbers. MBNA used to have these as well, but I am not sure after the
> Bank of America purchase.
>
> You need to install software on your computer to generate the temporary
> accounts.

The ones from Discover can be generated from their website, too.

However, they are *not* one time use numbers. They are good for as long
as your real number is good, so you can use them for subscription
services, or for on file orders, and things like that.

You can call Discover and have them invalidate a given number, so the
idea would be to use a different number for each merchant, and if one of
the merchants leaked your number, you'd just cancel that one, without
having to go update your on file information at all the other merchants
you deal with.

Probably the easiest thing to do if you want to buy from a site that you
don't trust is to use a prepaid card. There are two kinds of those.
One kind you buy and it has a fixed amount on it. Once that is gone,
they card is useless. So, buy one, use it for your questionable
transaction, and then go use any leftover for random local purchases.

The other kind is refillable. You go to the issuer's web site and can
put money on the card, using your regular credit or debit card.

--
--Tim Smith

Marc

Sep 2, 2008, 12:33:52 PM9/2/08
On Aug 29, 8:35 pm, Tiziano <nos...@example.com> wrote:
> Please note that in some cases you will not be able to use a virtual
> credit card number to purchase something.  One example is the purchase
> of airline tickets; your real credit card number must be used for
> security reasons.

Really? I've done it and it worked fine. What possible "security
reasons"
would those be?

Tiziano

Sep 2, 2008, 10:57:13 PM9/2/08
Well, I had in mind those cases in which one purchases an airline ticket
online. He then goes to the airport and wants to print out the ticket
at the airline kiosk in order to avoid standing in line at the airline
counter. The kiosk will ask to insert the same credit card used to
purchase the ticket and, if a virtual credit card number was used, will
refuse to complete the transaction.

The Real Bev

Sep 3, 2008, 10:51:09 PM9/3/08
Tiziano wrote:

> Well, I had in mind those cases in which one purchases an airline ticket
> online. He then goes to the airport and wants to print out the ticket
> at the airline kiosk in order to avoid standing in line at the airline
> counter. The kiosk will ask to insert the same credit card used to
> purchase the ticket and, if a virtual credit card number was used, will
> refuse to complete the transaction.

Why not print your boarding pass at home? Surely Continental isn't the
only airline to allow you to do that...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We're so far beyond fucked we couldn't even catch a bus

Dennis

Sep 4, 2008, 4:10:36 PM9/4/08
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:51:09 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tiziano wrote:
>
>> Well, I had in mind those cases in which one purchases an airline ticket
>> online. He then goes to the airport and wants to print out the ticket
>> at the airline kiosk in order to avoid standing in line at the airline
>> counter. The kiosk will ask to insert the same credit card used to
>> purchase the ticket and, if a virtual credit card number was used, will
>> refuse to complete the transaction.
>
>Why not print your boarding pass at home? Surely Continental isn't the
>only airline to allow you to do that...

I recently bought a ticket from Delta online and they sent a
confirmation email that included a printable barcode that could be
swiped to retrieve the e-ticket at the kiosk.

>> on 9/2/2008 11:33 AM Marc wrote the following:
>>>
>>> Really? I've done it and it worked fine. What possible "security
>>> reasons" would those be?

My wife once tried to use a virtual CC number from Citibank to place
ads in a couple of local newspapers over the phone. It worked for one
and was rejected at the other. I have no idea why, could be a simple
case of incompetence at the newspaper ad office.

Dennis (evil)
--
What the government gives, it must first take.