Budget fare to wash.d.c from NYC

Boothbay

Oct 24, 2007, 3:33:56 PM10/24/07
Does anyone know what is the cheapest fare to wash. D.C for 1 senior,
from NYC? Jetblue has $59 each way. Amtrak is around $117 and does not
include other fees and tax's. I only have to go for at the most 2
days. Greyhound is around the same.

elise d faber

Oct 24, 2007, 5:40:58 PM10/24/07
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:33:56 -0700, Boothbay <harri...@aol.com>
wrote:

in august i paid about $95 one way to washington [senior-weekday
morning going-sunday morning coming back]. they seemed to have
different fares for different trains, so check the other trains
leaving around when you want to go.

i live near penn station, so this was lots cheaper for me than getting
to the airport and i can take the metro from union station in
washington. don't know about greyhound, but at the same price, i
think amtrak is more comfortable.

if you do decide to do the airport thing, super shuttle is about $15
each way.

elise

Don K

Oct 24, 2007, 5:41:44 PM10/24/07
"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

The China bus is $20 from NYC to DC.
You probably won't find much cheaper than that.

Don

Boothbay

Oct 24, 2007, 6:28:14 PM10/24/07
On Oct 24, 5:41 pm, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
> "Boothbay" <harri85...@aol.com> wrote in message

HI, could you please elaborate about China bus. I never heard of it.
Where are they located? I'll try google and see if anything comes up.
And to the other party, some of us are strangers to the area, what is
super shuttle?

Boothbay

Oct 24, 2007, 6:39:14 PM10/24/07
On Oct 24, 5:40 pm, ediefa...@yahoo.com (elise d faber) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct2007 12:33:56 -0700, Boothbay <harri85...@aol.com>

In google I found only super shuttles that go locally from one airport
to another...ie...in NY, it would go from JFK to Laquardia and or
Newark. I could not find one that goes from NYC to Wash, D.C. it would
have been convenient if you added more info on this super shuttle info
and location.:)

Don K

Oct 24, 2007, 7:52:15 PM10/24/07

"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

You should have no problem googling them.
There's several that go between chinatowns.
http://www.2000coach.com/newyorkdc.html
http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/

I first heard about them when my kids were in college. They operate on
a shoestring, they may break down frequently, but they are cheap!

Don

elise d faber

Oct 25, 2007, 8:30:49 AM10/25/07
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:39:14 -0700, Boothbay <harri...@aol.com>
wrote:

this is a van that picks you up at your door and goes to all the
airports. www.bluevan.com??? i've never used it to newark because
the buses from the port authority terminal and amtrak to the airport
train are easy for me.

the china buses leave from around chatham square in chinatown. they
are really cheap, but they are unlicensed and do have frequent
mechanical problems. this would be the cheapest route.

PaPaPeng

Oct 25, 2007, 12:06:58 PM10/25/07
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:33:56 -0700, Boothbay <harri...@aol.com>
wrote:

Go to your Chinatown travel agency. Usually there is a nearby tour
bus service that operates as an inter-city commuter bus. I don't know
the price except that its very affordable and brings you right to
downtown in the other city. The leave when the bus is full.

George Grapman

Oct 25, 2007, 12:15:02 PM10/25/07

That is the way some local bus lines in Mexico operate. You can wait
5 minutes or you can wait 20.

PaPaPeng

Oct 25, 2007, 9:39:15 PM10/25/07

Buses

The Chinatown express
Oct 25th 2007 | NEW YORK TO WASHINGTON, DC
From The Economist print edition
http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10024825

Innovation brings emulation

IT USED to be that you had to venture below the grime-caked pylons of
the Manhattan Bridge, to a scene more reminiscent of Luoyang than of
the Lower East Side, in order to catch a cheap bus ride between New
York and Washington, DC. Even now at the intersection of East Broadway
and Forsyth St, ticket hawkers scream out destinations in thick
Cantonese accents—“DC, DC, DC!” “Philly, Philly!”—and grab the arms of
passers-by toting luggage. Loading queues often disintegrate into a
Hobbesian struggle to nab untaken seats.

Despite all this, the business is a model of thrift and ingenuity,
revolutionising travel in the north-east by selling tickets between
its big cities for as little as $12. In a testament to the power of
the invisible hand, the rough-and-tumble success of the Chinese bus
lines is attracting new competitors, and the industry is becoming less
dodgy in the process.

The Chinatown bus business developed in the 1990s to offer recent
immigrants an inexpensive van ride around town and, later on, between
cities. By the end of the decade, the Fung Wah bus company had begun
shuttling college students and other cash-strapped Americans between
New York's Chinatown and Boston's for $10 each way.

Competition soon became so intense that it prompted the 2004 “bus
wars” in New York's Chinatown, in which buses were rammed and torched
and a decapitated torso was left near a passenger loading zone. Spotty
safety records—in 2005 one Chinatown bus caught fire on the road—and
reports of drivers working excessive hours also raised concerns about
safety. But with prices so low, the buses still left packed.

Greyhound, America's biggest passenger bus line, dropped its prices,
offering a name-brand alternative to the Chinatown coaches. Dozens of
new competitors also emerged. Hasidic Jews from Brooklyn founded the
Washington Deluxe and Vamoose Bus. Most recently, a Marriott executive
founded DC2NY, a service between Washington and New York that
guarantees customers seats if booked online and charges only slightly
more than the Chinatown buses (a $40 round-trip versus $35). It also
offers free bottles of water and Wi-Fi internet access. The “luxury”
bus carrier has more than doubled its operation since its inaugural
trip this summer. Watch as its older rivals start copying its perks.

Logan Shaw

Oct 26, 2007, 1:41:52 AM10/26/07
PaPaPeng wrote:
> The Chinatown express
> Oct 25th 2007 | NEW YORK TO WASHINGTON, DC
> From The Economist print edition
> http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10024825
>
> Innovation brings emulation
>

> IT USED to be that you had to venture below the grime-caked pylons of
> the Manhattan Bridge, to a scene more reminiscent of Luoyang than of
> the Lower East Side, in order to catch a cheap bus ride between New
> York and Washington, DC. Even now at the intersection of East Broadway
> and Forsyth St, ticket hawkers scream out destinations in thick
> Cantonese accents—“DC, DC, DC!” “Philly, Philly!”—and grab the arms of
> passers-by toting luggage.

If you're going to Philadelphia from NYC, a friend told me this tip:
take NJ Transit. I just checked, and to get from New York Penn Station
to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, it's $20.50. NJ Transit trains
go straight in to Penn Station[1] and you transfer in Trenton, NJ to
SEPTA to do the second half of the trip. It takes about 2.5 hours.
Amtrak can get you there in as little as an hour, but that costs $43.

I can see taking one of those buses to DC, but are they really cheaper
than $20.50, and are they as reliable and safe as major transit agencies?

- Logan

[1] New York Penn Station, not Newark Penn Station. Whose idea was it
to have two almost-consecutive stops on the *same* *line* called
"New York Penn Station" and "Newark Penn Station"? I suppose they
might have existed and been named before those lines connected,
but this is still pretty bad.

Nicik Name

Oct 29, 2007, 5:17:39 PM10/29/07

"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message