Easiest, simplest top loader washer that one can repair themselves?

1 view

m...@privacy.net

Jan 10, 2008, 11:06:27 AM1/10/08
I'm in market for cheap top loader washer..... live
alone so it wont be used a lot.

However, I'm curious if any brands are more "modular"
or easier to self-repair than others?

Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no
belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?

Dave

Jan 10, 2008, 2:36:17 PM1/10/08

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

How about a $30 used unit from craigslist, use it a few years until it dies,
then buy another $30 unit from craigslist? Seems a lot more frugal than
gambling $400 on something that might possibly be easy to repair, or maybe
not. -Dave

m...@privacy.net

Jan 10, 2008, 3:11:14 PM1/10/08
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote:

>> Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no
>> belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?
>
>How about a $30 used unit from craigslist, use it a few years until it dies,
>then buy another $30 unit from craigslist? Seems a lot more frugal than
>gambling $400 on something that might possibly be easy to repair, or maybe
>not. -Dave

Agree

But I live in a small town so that buying form
Craiglist means I have to drive tow hrs away to pickup
and haul back

Seerialmom

Jan 10, 2008, 3:45:07 PM1/10/08

Or even more frugal, get a "free" one from Craiglist? I see those
from time to time where the people say "we just upgraded" (actually I
gave away my 11 y/o Kenmore pair when I got the front loaders). When
it dies, offer it again for free on Craiglist.

Lou

Jan 10, 2008, 8:02:50 PM1/10/08

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Well, I can see how a four hour drive to get a washer might be somewhat of a
burden. On the other hand, if you buy a $400 washer and it breaks down, and
you can repair it yourself, how many hours are you going to spend doing the
repair - taking it apart to determine the problem, getting a replacement
part (if one is even available, and how far will you have to drive to do
that?), making the repair, and putting the machine back together?

Washers, like any other machine, will break down eventually, but in my
experience, it isn't all that often - on the order of once a decade, maybe
less often. On the other hand, I buy basic appliances, stuff without all
the electronics and touch pads and automatic features.

If you want a new washer, go to the store, buy a basic machine that has the
features you want (I'd suggest two or three water levels, and three wash
cycles - normal, delicate, and heavy duty, but you can probably do with only
two) and move on to something else. I'd stick with a name brand, but before
buying anything, I'd research it on the web to see if the model you chose is
prone to problems.

Whether Whirlpool makes a direct drive machine is one question, what some
store will sell it for is another. I think most machines are belt driven,
and usually the most common technology is the cheapest.

The Real Bev

Jan 11, 2008, 6:51:07 PM1/11/08
Lou wrote:

> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> But I live in a small town so that buying form
>> Craiglist means I have to drive tow hrs away to pickup
>> and haul back
>
> Well, I can see how a four hour drive to get a washer might be somewhat of a
> burden. On the other hand, if you buy a $400 washer and it breaks down, and
> you can repair it yourself, how many hours are you going to spend doing the
> repair - taking it apart to determine the problem, getting a replacement
> part (if one is even available, and how far will you have to drive to do
> that?), making the repair, and putting the machine back together?

OTOOH, I regard the purchase of any used appliance as problematical and
assume that it works only marginally, if at all, and set the price I'm
willing to pay accordingly. If a washing machine doesn't work, you have
a really good shot at having to empty it by hand, especially nice if you
have a full load of whites being bleached.

--
Cheers,
Bev