Frugal things mom does

Steve

Jul 15, 2007, 2:31:19 PM7/15/07

http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing

When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she’s
finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock

Melissa

Jul 15, 2007, 5:01:15 PM7/15/07

"Steve" <d...@whc.inv> wrote in message

> http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing
>
> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she's
> finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.

10,000 ketchup packets? How many trips to a non-frugal fast food place does
it take to store up that many packets of ketchup.

You're either an idiot or a troll. Probably both.

Melissa

Al Bundy

Jul 15, 2007, 4:39:42 PM7/15/07
On Jul 15, 2:31 pm, Steve <d...@whc.inv> wrote:

> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she's
> finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.
> ...Stephen Leacock

So you are confirming that you come from a family of thieves.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve

Jul 15, 2007, 5:07:12 PM7/15/07

Link, dummy.

--

The government is unresponsive to the needs of the little man.
Under 5'7" it is impossible to get your congressman on the phone.

...Woody Allen

Ward Abbott

Jul 15, 2007, 5:23:39 PM7/15/07
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:31:19 -0700, Steve <d...@whc.inv> wrote:

> She
>then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
>ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle.

Why don't you have Yolanda or Juanita do that?

Nexus7

Jul 15, 2007, 10:25:52 PM7/15/07
On Jul 15, 1:31 pm, Steve <d...@whc.inv> wrote:
> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she's

Ketchup (American-made) costs $1 store-brand or at the dollar store.
The bottle recycles, unlike the ketchup packets. Where's the frugality
in your method?

Michael Black

Jul 15, 2007, 10:52:23 PM7/15/07
The original poster is likely very frugal, doesn't live in a house, instead
lives under a bridge.

They want people to react to the silly notion, they don't care about
frugality, they care about taunting. It's called a troll.

Michael

Steve

Jul 16, 2007, 1:43:59 AM7/16/07
et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
>The original poster is likely very frugal, doesn't live in a house, instead
>lives under a bridge.

Link, not OP -

http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing

Al Bundy

Jul 16, 2007, 5:07:10 PM7/16/07
On Jul 16, 1:43 am, Steve <d...@whc.inv> wrote:
> et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
> >The original poster is likely very frugal, doesn't live in a house, instead
> >lives under a bridge.
>
> Link, not OP -

I found it to be a dead link several times. Maybe others did as well.

Steve

Jul 16, 2007, 6:55:51 PM7/16/07
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
>> >The original poster is likely very frugal, doesn't live in a house, instead
>> >lives under a bridge.
>>
>> Link, not OP -
>>
>I found it to be a dead link several times. Maybe others did as well.

Thanks Al, that's interesting. Checked it just before posting, worked
fine, but now I see it's frequently timing out for some reason. It's
actually sorta interesting, the site's posted purpose is "Living large
on a small budget." Here's the ketchup post, it's followed on the
site by a bunch of comments...

=====================

This is the first part of an ongoing series called Frugal Things My
Mom Does (FTMD). Tune in each Friday for a new installment of Queen
Frugal’s adventures.

My mom is the Queen of Frugal, and quite frequently, her frugal ideas
give the rest of us a good laugh. I thought I’d start off my “FTMD”
series with one of Mom’s frugal tips that makes me laugh the most:
Free Ketchup, a/k/a Packet Squeezing.

Like most frugal devotees, Mom can’t stand for anything to be thrown
away. If there is a possibility it could be useful, we keep it. Our
kitchen has drawers stocked with drive-thru napkins, straws, plastic
silverware, chopsticks, and all variety of other things. But what I
find the strangest is the drawer in the refrigerator filled with
ketchup packets.

For most of us, when the ketchup bottle is empty, we pick up another
one at the store. Sure, we might buy the store brand and save some
money, but we definitely buy a new one. If you’re really, really
frugal, and a bit dishonest, you might steal one from one of the few
restaurants that still has bottles on the table. (I’m not condoning
that, so don’t do it!)

This, of course, isn’t good enough for Mom. Oh, no. When our ketchup

bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the scissors, and the
infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She then proceeds to
spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000 ketchup packets,

and squeeze them into the bottle. When she’s finished, we have a nice,
full bottle of ketchup.

How, you ask, do we have a drawer filled with 10,000 ketchup packets?
Because anytime Mom goes through the drive-thru, she asks for extra
ketchup, of course! (And extra napkins, salt and pepper, straws,
plastic silverware, and quite possibly, a roll of toilet paper from
the restroom…) If McDonalds ever caught onto the fact that they’ve
been filling our ketchup bottle for 20 years, they’d probably just
send her a 55 gallon drum and ask her to leave the drive-thru alone.

So, if you’re feeling extra frugal this weekend, pull out your
scissors, grab a funnel, and fill your ketchup bottle for free,
courtesy of your favorite burger stand!

Beeblebrox

Jul 18, 2007, 12:17:34 PM7/18/07
Steve wrote:
> http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing
>
> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she’s
> finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.

so::

* energy (fridge) to store the packets
* water to wash the scissors
* one hour labor to cut the packets

== a savings of what, $2????

barbie gee

Jul 18, 2007, 2:17:43 PM7/18/07

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Beeblebrox wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing
>>
>> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
>> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
>> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
>> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she’s
>> finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.
>>

> so::
>
> * energy (fridge) to store the packets

huh? in the fridge? nobody does that.

> * water to wash the scissors

huh? nobody would do that either. If they did, then maybe they should
also be washing the outsides of the packets, as well....

> * one hour labor to cut the packets

If you're retired, what's one hour labor?

Beeblebrox

Jul 19, 2007, 7:29:51 PM7/19/07
barbie gee wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Beeblebrox wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-things-my-mom-does-part-1-packet-squeezing
>>>

>>> When our ketchup bottle gets low, mom pulls out a funnel, the
>>> scissors, and the infamous ketchup drawer from the refrigerator. She
>>> then proceeds to spend an hour or more clipping the tops off 10,000
>>> ketchup packets, and squeeze them into the bottle. When she’s
>>> finished, we have a nice, full bottle of ketchup.
>>>

>> so::
>>
>> * energy (fridge) to store the packets
>

> huh? in the fridge? nobody does that.

read the above again - "the infamous ketchup drawer from the refridgerator"

>> * water to wash the scissors
>

> huh? nobody would do that either. If they did, then maybe they should
> also be washing the outsides of the packets, as well....

if you got ketchup on them, they'd need washed.

>> * one hour labor to cut the packets
>

> If you're retired, what's one hour labor?

one less hour of life left.