OK to cut vitamins in half?

m...@privacy.net

Aug 6, 2007, 5:33:46 PM8/6/07
Been thinking abt starting to take a daily vitamin such
as Centrum

But got to looking at label and some of the doses are
at 400%!!

I don't want to mega dose anything..... just get "some"
dose for each thing

Think it OK to cut vitamins in half or even quarters
and take that way? Or do they have some kind of
enteric coating on them that slows down absorption that
cutting would hinder?

spinne...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:48:38 PM8/6/07

Yes, to first Q. And yes, to second Q when there is a special-
purpose coating only.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 7, 2007, 2:47:16 PM8/7/07
spinne...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Think it OK to cut vitamins in half or even quarters
>> and take that way? Or do they have some kind of
>> enteric coating on them that slows down absorption that
>> cutting would hinder?
>
>Yes, to first Q. And yes, to second Q when there is a special-
>purpose coating only.

The vitamins I have are generic Walmart brand
multivitamins for people over age 50

How can I tell if they have enteric coating on them
just by looking at them?

Label has no info on whether or not it has enteric
coating.

Michael Black

Aug 7, 2007, 4:12:33 PM8/7/07
(m...@privacy.net) writes:
> Been thinking abt starting to take a daily vitamin such
> as Centrum
>
> But got to looking at label and some of the doses are
> at 400%!!

So don't buy such a powerful vitamin, it will have the
advantage of being cheaper.

But of course, if you were really frugal you'd be doing
your own research on vitamins, instead of jumping to
the nonsense solution of cutting them in half, and learn
about vitamins.

Some vitamins, you don't want to get too much of, since
they do accumulate in your body.

Others, they don't so an "overdose" doesn't matter.

Of course, since you're so concerned about the more
than the "daily requirement", you'd better be thinking about
whether you really need vitamins in the first place. Because
chances are good, unless your diet is really lousy, that
you will be getting more than the RDA on some of those
vitamins anyway, since the food you eat will give you
the vitamins.

Again, the frugal solution might be to eat better so
you don't need (or don't feel you need) vitamin supplements.

Or realize you are eating okay, and you don't need the vitamin
supplement, or at the very most need only a specific supplement
to compensate for one or a handful of missing vitamins or minerals.

Michael

<RJ>

Aug 7, 2007, 11:59:09 PM8/7/07

I've been taking those WalMart vitamins for years.
My wife and I split one pill every morning.
( we feel a half-dose is adequate )

We call it our "American Health Plan"

<rj>

m...@privacy.net

Aug 8, 2007, 11:49:02 AM8/8/07
"<RJ>" <bara...@localnet.com> wrote:

>I've been taking those WalMart vitamins for years.
>My wife and I split one pill every morning.
>( we feel a half-dose is adequate )

OK

I may even split it in thirds

PaPaPeng

Aug 8, 2007, 11:58:15 AM8/8/07

There are no nutritional deficiency problems in industrial countries
including the US. The stuff you buy in an average grocery store is
more than enough to provide a balanced diet. Vitamins are an optional
food supplement not a medication. Do anything you want with it. Just
don't overdose.

rick++

Aug 8, 2007, 12:58:31 PM8/8/07

> There are no nutritional deficiency problems in industrial countries
> including the US. The stuff you buy in an average grocery store is
> more than enough to provide a balanced diet. Vitamins are an optional
> food supplement not a medication. Do anything you want with it. Just
> don't overdose.

Yes there are.
Vitamin D is the prime example.
The optimal source is sun exposure, but dark complexion people
have to stay out longer. These and elderly may get insufficient sun,
especially in winter and high latitudes. The traditional method of
fortification is milk which intolerable for most non-European adults.
Vitamin D deficiency is strongly correlated with bone strength.
Correlation is obervsed with nerve diseases like MS and certain
cancers,
but causal link unknown.

rick++

Aug 8, 2007, 1:03:47 PM8/8/07
> I may even split it in thirds

Some medicines are not well-mixed within a pill.
This is of concern for where undosing (pain killer)
or overdosing (cutting for children) could be a
problem with just one dose. Something less crucial
like vitamins it doesnt matter as much if you dose
is doubel of half what you expect day to to day.

<RJ>

Aug 8, 2007, 7:59:06 PM8/8/07
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:58:15 GMT, PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There are no nutritional deficiency problems in industrial countries
>including the US. The stuff you buy in an average grocery store is
>more than enough to provide a balanced diet. Vitamins are an optional
>food supplement not a medication. Do anything you want with it. Just
>don't overdose.

Au contraire mon ami.....

It's not the "vitamins" so much as the minerals and trace elements.
Every day it seems, science finds a positive use for some trace element.
Did you get your daily dose of selenium, chromium, etc. today. ?

It's possible to get "everything"
if you have a nutritionist preparing every meal.
But most Americans don't eat mushrooms, or liver, or arugula every day.

At little more than a penny apiece, I figure a multi-vitamin/mineral pill
is damn cheap nutritional health insurance.

<rj>

Rod Speed

Aug 8, 2007, 8:13:16 PM8/8/07
<RJ> <RJ> wrote
> PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> There are no nutritional deficiency problems in industrial countries
>> including the US. The stuff you buy in an average grocery store is
>> more than enough to provide a balanced diet. Vitamins are an
>> optional food supplement not a medication. Do anything you want
>> with it. Just don't overdose.

> Au contraire mon ami.....

Bloody wogs.

> It's not the "vitamins" so much as the minerals and trace elements.
> Every day it seems, science finds a positive use for some trace element.

Pity that there are plenty of those in normal diets too.

> Did you get your daily dose of selenium, chromium, etc. today. ?

Pity that you aint established that most diets are deficient in those.

> It's possible to get "everything" if you have a nutritionist preparing every meal.

You dont need to do that to get more than you need of everything that matters.

> But most Americans don't eat mushrooms, or liver, or arugula every day.

They dont need to, or even every week either.

> At little more than a penny apiece, I figure a multi-vitamin/mineral
> pill is damn cheap nutritional health insurance.

More fool you.

PaPaPeng

Aug 8, 2007, 11:50:43 PM8/8/07
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:59:06 -0700, "<RJ>" <bara...@localnet.com>
wrote:

I'm 65. I'm in excellent health, good eyesight, excellent hearing,
excellent teeth, cycle to get around or walk or the bus, etc. A very
modest lifestyle in keeping with my modest circumstance and by choice.
I take a RDA of all vitamins once a week (or once a fortnight if I
forget) in case I am missing something in my simple daily food. I
have never followed any dietary regimen and just eat whatever I have
on hand. Of course my groceries comprise only foods that agree with
me. But they are nothing out of the ordinary and I always go for
bargains. I do not eat processed foods. I avoid junk food because
because I feel nauseous after eating them. I do have food
sensitivities. Food is something I eat because I have to to stay
alive. I don't give eating much thought. No one among my many
siblings do and we are all in good health.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 9, 2007, 11:08:37 AM8/9/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I take a RDA of all vitamins once a week (or once a fortnight if I

so you only take one multi-vitamin pill once a week?

if yes....sound like a decent "strategy"

Shawn Hirn

Aug 9, 2007, 6:20:04 PM8/9/07
In article <gffhb3lruppft7uvc...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
wrote:

Your vitamins probably don't have an enteric coating, otherwise it would
say so on the label. When in doubt though, contact the manufacturer or
seller.

Jon v Leipzig

Aug 12, 2007, 4:47:56 PM8/12/07

Last time I checked, the Equate brand at Chinamart is almost identical,
at half the price.

Only B-12 is 400%, probably due to the fact that it's difficult to
absorb as you get older, from food, too.

In almost all these one-a-day formulations they use the cheapest, least
absorbable form, mostly synthetic. Only a small pct is a actually used
by the body.

Jon v Leipzig

Aug 12, 2007, 4:55:29 PM8/12/07

A lack of knowledge can be blissful.
You need your C, B's, and some minerals every day.
You might be meeting your quota from eating Real food.

PaPaPeng

Aug 13, 2007, 6:07:21 AM8/13/07
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:55:29 -0400, Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com>
wrote:

Once a week, or less often, a RDA set of pills comprising A, B6, B12
complex, C, D, E and and occasional iron pill. The dieticians over
the years has not made any recommendations to change my practice. We
have a doc and a prof doc in the family so access to good advice is
not a problem. All of us believe that if we can do without "extras"
the better. We are particularly wary of medications of any kind.

The iron pill causes very black stools meaning most of the iron is
excreted. I am not quite sure if the iron pill accelerates the
breakdown of the haem component of red blood cells or if the iron is
excreted unabsorbed. Whatever it looks processed and may have been
part of an extraordinary body function. One of the vitamins also
cause yellow urine thus my minimal vitamin intake. I avoid most
things I suspect cause an extraordinary load on my metabolism.

Vitamin deficiency does cause dietary diseases. Since over the
decades long period I did not have any of that and my weight had been
fairly stable though on the high side of normal I assume I have an
adequate and balanced diet and never gave food types further thought.
EAt some of every type of food and I am covered.

Into this sunny picture comes some rain. I had Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome since childhood and of course didn't know it. It wasn't
severe enough to disable me but it was bad enough as I grew older to
really mess up my life. At the age of 50 I discovered that it was
brought about by soy products, gluten, legumes and a few more plant
proteins (long story). Avoiding them really improved my quality of
life and that is the extent of my interest in diets. The other
"rains", shared by a few of my siblings, is blood cholesterol on the
high side of normal, three of us with blocked vessels that needed
operations, and gallstones that also needed to be removed. Otherwise
we have remarkably good health.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 13, 2007, 11:00:31 AM8/13/07

>>A lack of knowledge can be blissful.
>>You need your C, B's, and some minerals every day.
>>You might be meeting your quota from eating Real food.

Understand

But my daily diet probably gives me that

The once a week vitamin pill would just "ensure" I'm
not missing something

m...@privacy.net

Aug 13, 2007, 11:02:57 AM8/13/07
Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:

>Only B-12 is 400%, probably due to the fact that it's difficult to
>absorb as you get older, from food, too.
>
>In almost all these one-a-day formulations they use the cheapest, least
>absorbable form, mostly synthetic. Only a small pct is a actually used
>by the body.

link to that?