Re: How does the California point system affect me in my traffic situation?

Ann LaRocca-Reifers, RN

Nov 10, 2007, 8:43:16 PM11/10/07
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:44:57 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol wrote:
> The law is: if you're in an accident, you must report it within 30 days.
> That was what I had to do last March. I wasn't at fault, someone else hit me,
> didn't matter.
> Does it hurt to file? No. Is it a good idea to file? Definitely.
> It *is* the law.

That's not the law.
The law is if the DAMAGE is over 750 dollars, both parties must file.
I said so in the first post.

THe problem is how to ASSESS what the damage is.
I've assessed it at 100 dollars (that's what it cost anyway).
Yet, the repair was substandard.
So, who gets to assess the damage?
What if I assess the damage at 700 dollars and the other party assesses the
damage at 800 dollars?
And, it is the total damage or just the damage to one vehicle?

See what I mean?
Nobody yet I've ever met understands the implications, not the DMV, not the
police (neither of whom I trust) and not anyone I've spoken to (all of whom
I trust).

Does ANYBODY know the California law (you certainly don't & neither do I)?

Why doesn't someone on alt.law-enforcement.traffic respond?

Steve Sobol

Nov 10, 2007, 8:46:51 PM11/10/07
["Followup-To:" header set to ca.driving.]

On 2007-11-11, Ann LaRocca-Reifers, RN <AnnR...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> The law is if the DAMAGE is over 750 dollars, both parties must file.
> I said so in the first post.
>
> THe problem is how to ASSESS what the damage is.

Not a problem. Take it to a body shop and get an estimate.

> I've assessed it at 100 dollars (that's what it cost anyway).

Based on what?

> Nobody yet I've ever met understands the implications, not the DMV, not the
> police (neither of whom I trust) and not anyone I've spoken to (all of whom
> I trust).

I don't know what the problem is.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
Geek-for-hire. Details: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevesobol

Logan Shaw

Nov 11, 2007, 12:18:41 AM11/11/07
Ann LaRocca-Reifers, RN wrote:
> Does ANYBODY know the California law (you certainly don't & neither do I)?
>
> Why doesn't someone on alt.law-enforcement.traffic respond?

If you want legal advice or opinion and nobody is offering it to you for
free, then why not hire a lawyer? That's what they do, after all.

Alternatively, why not go to the State of California's web site and read
through the relevant parts of the code?

Both of those would be a lot more effective than cross-posting to
misc.consumers.frugal-living.

- Logan

George Grapman

Nov 11, 2007, 10:32:16 AM11/11/07