Dental question, a bridge costs

veteran

Apr 17, 2008, 9:43:15 AM4/17/08
I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
time.
How does one get better prices or at least ball park estimates?
And where?
--
Remember," Only a dreamer can have a dream come true"

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 17, 2008, 11:45:01 AM4/17/08
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:43:15 -0700, veteran
<george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
>But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
>time.
> How does one get better prices or at least ball park estimates?
>And where?

Mexico. Seriously. Over the past 20 years the cost of most dentistry
in the U.S. has skyrocketed.

Chloe

Apr 17, 2008, 10:58:56 AM4/17/08
<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Transportation costs are skyrocketing, too. Are you suggesting it would be
cheaper on balance to travel to Mexico for a single bridge than to have it
done in the U.S.?

My only thought (other than to shop around and compare prices) is to talk to
the closest dental schools. You'd probably still have to pay full price for
the bridge itself, but you might save a little on the labor involved in
putting it in.

As an aside, a cautionary tale for people who avoid regular teeth cleaning
and checkups by a dentist: for about 20 years 62-year-old DH convinced
himself he was doing just fine taking care of his teeth on his own. Indeed,
he didn't seem to have much in the way of tartar buildup or gum problems,
and he wasn't aware of any cavities. Eventually a couple of teeth became so
painful he had to break down and go. Turns out a bunch of his old fillings
had failed, he had some serious infections, needed a number of crowns, and
ended up with a $10K bill. We did a little bit of price comparing, and the
charges were routine for our area.

Ouch.

Al Bundy

Apr 17, 2008, 11:32:58 AM4/17/08

It's hard to get much information when you don't give much to go on.
How can anyone here determine what a fair price would be when you
won't say how much the estimate is to begin with? The cost depends
upon how many teeth are on the bridge and whether it involves
replacing other crowns as part of the bridge. I just had a three tooth
bridge over a broken tooth and it was $2,300 without insurance. Years
ago a similar bridge was $1,500. but that was 30 years ago so the
inflation has not been too bad. It also helps if you can identify the
numbers of the teeth involved. All the teeth have numbers on a chart.
And there is a Google site where dentists reside that could be
helpful. The dental schools around here proclaim a 1/3 savings. I
don't consider that enough savings to drive 30 miles west and wait for
appointments on their schedule. One dental school in my area heading
east is in a neighborhood where your car or you can almost be
guaranteed of getting raped. Don't call the police either as they
ain't coming.
If you go to Mexico to save money, what do you do when you get home
and feel pain or the work fails?
I have done some of my own dental work, but that is dangerous and not
for many. I have also asked for certain types of repair work that the
dentist was at first reluctant to suggest or perform. This has save me
many hundreds of dollars. It really helps if you have a long term
relationship with your dentist so don't be too quick to write him off
because of price. Prices are negotiable.

veteran

Apr 17, 2008, 12:03:37 PM4/17/08
In article
<georgewkspam-3654...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
veteran <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

> I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
> But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
> time.
> How does one get better prices or at least ball park estimates?
> And where?

Thanks for these suggestions and feedback.
I am still "searching" for an answer.

Frank

Apr 17, 2008, 1:34:15 PM4/17/08

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:43:15 -0700, veteran
> <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>
>>I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
>>But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
>>time.

Never had a dentist wanted too little money.

>> How does one get better prices or at least ball park estimates?
>>And where?

Every time I need an estimate from a new dentest (for a preceedure my
regular dentest couldn't perform), there is an associated $100 or so to
cover consulation fee so too many estimates will chew up any savings. The
key is to find a good dentist and not the cheapest.

> Mexico. Seriously. Over the past 20 years the cost of most dentistry
> in the U.S. has skyrocketed.

Don't know why the rates are so high in the US. Had two implants done last
year, turn out it would be cheaper to take a vacation to Germany and have it
done their. Mexico would be fine if you know who does a good job from the
one who could butcher your mouth. More and more medical procedures are done
overseas.

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Apr 17, 2008, 5:03:36 PM4/17/08
Frank <nore...@nothome.net> wrote:

>... Had two implants done last year, turn out it would be cheaper to take

>a vacation to Germany and have it done their. Mexico would be fine if you
>know who does a good job from the one who could butcher your mouth.

How do you go about finding a good implanter in Europe?

Nick

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 4:49:12 PM4/17/08
On Apr 17, 7:58 am, "Chloe" <justsa...@spam.com> wrote:
> <hchick...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to pull those teeth and get some
choppers?? :-B

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 4:50:18 PM4/17/08
On Apr 17, 2:03 pm, nicksans...@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing. I wouldn't mind ditching this
stupid partial for an impant :)

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 4:51:04 PM4/17/08

I meant "implant".

Rod Speed

Apr 17, 2008, 4:50:53 PM4/17/08
nicks...@ece.villanova.edu wrote:
> Frank <nore...@nothome.net> wrote:

>> Had two implants done last year, turn out it would be cheaper to take a
>> vacation to Germany and have it done their. Mexico would be fine if you
>> know who does a good job from the one who could butcher your mouth.

> How do you go about finding a good implanter in Europe?

There's a lot more control over the duds in a place like germany.

George

Apr 17, 2008, 5:50:44 PM4/17/08
Thats actually the easy part. Unfortunately our toy currency won't buy
much there these days so the savings will likely be a wash.

Frank

Apr 17, 2008, 6:14:09 PM4/17/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I have both a bridge and implants and I tell you the implants are so much
better. If you amortized the cost over the next 20 years, it doesn't look so
bad.

Al Bundy

Apr 17, 2008, 6:55:47 PM4/17/08

Sounds good, that 20 years I mean, Frank.
Some of us are amortizing over a much shorter period.

val189

Apr 17, 2008, 8:02:57 PM4/17/08
On Apr 17, 9:43 am, veteran <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
> I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
> But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
> time.

How long ago is "first made it"? What is 'too much' money? You are
basing this opinion on what?

Lou

Apr 17, 2008, 8:14:43 PM4/17/08

"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

Whatever the period, you're not going to take the bridge or the money you
save by not getting an implant with you.

a veteran.

Apr 17, 2008, 8:16:40 PM4/17/08
In article
<e79495d3-f190-41bd...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:

any ballpark figures on implants?
I'm missing 4 upper front teeth. Can I afford to smile?

Frank

Apr 18, 2008, 12:15:48 AM4/18/08
> any ballpark figures on implants?
> I'm missing 4 upper front teeth. Can I afford to smile?
> --

I did mine around a year or year and a half ago. It was around $4k per tooth
($8K total, I really don't want to look at the bills again) and had both
molars done at the same time. I'm in the Bay Area so my cost may be higher
than other areas. All together it was about 4 hours of work - I should have
been a dentist. If you find a good doctor in Mexico or Canada, that may be a
good way to go to save some big bux.. An oral surgeon did the implants and
my regular dentist put in the crown. Make sure your regular dentist know
what they are doing as the crown for the implant is nothing like regular
crowns and she had trouble trying to fit it in. The implant crown cost twice
as much as regular crown or $1.4K each.

I didn't go for a bridge (three teeth) since I already have one and if one
of my tooth goes, I have to redo the whole bridge. The bridge would be a
little cheaper but will cost more in the long run if repairs are needed.

JonL

Apr 18, 2008, 7:39:58 AM4/18/08
veteran wrote:
> I need to replace a bridge, or is it called a partial.
> But , the dentist who first made it really wants too much money this
> time.
> How does one get better prices or at least ball park estimates?
> And where?

Imo, the best places to shop around are in working-class neighborhoods.
(Stay away from Yuppietown)

The downside of Mexico is, they may not even be licensed dentists.

Mary Mathews

Apr 18, 2008, 10:08:02 AM4/18/08

My friend had dental work done in Thailand. I don't know the details,
only that she was well pleased. mary