Would you buy this car?

James

Oct 14, 2008, 7:11:28 PM10/14/08
The mini car produced by Zhejiang's 001 Group was designed to target
the increasingly serious energy crisis. The group has so far produced
over 10 such cars and each of them will sell for 38,000 yuan (US
$5,560).

http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/content_16609473.htm

rst0wxyz

Oct 14, 2008, 7:27:01 PM10/14/08

Rod Speed

Oct 14, 2008, 8:19:21 PM10/14/08

> http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/content_16609473.htm

Dont believe the price claim, and some of the other claims are meaningless gobbledegook,
like the car can absorb 95 percent of the solar energy it takes in' whatever thats supposed
to mean. It cant be absorbing anyting like that percentage of what falls on the car, since
the solar collector is only a small part of the area of the car.

It isnt even clear if it will even get enough of a charge while
at work to get you home and back to work again next day etc.

Al Bundy

Oct 15, 2008, 8:37:38 AM10/15/08
> http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/co...

Unfortunately, the sun never reaches the ground in many places where
they drive in China. The mileage claims seem greatly exaggerated and
would depend on direct sun for 30 hours. It could take all week to
charge if you were lucky. Reports from China constantly announce what
they think is news, progress, or an oddity. Put this in the oddity
category. College students around the world have been building solar
cars for years.
PS. I liked the submarine that a man made in his backyard out of 55
gallon apple juice drums welded together. Now that was more of a death
trap than this kitty car with the ping pong table mounted on top.

Lou

Oct 15, 2008, 8:59:42 AM10/15/08

"James" <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Let's see, the car will travel roughly 93 miles after sitting in the sun for
30 hours. Taking nighttime, cloudy days, and seasonal variations into
account, you might average 6 hours of sun a day. My round trip daily
commute is 80 miles, 5 days a week.

Looks like I'd need 5 of these cars just to get back and forth to work.
That doesn't count driving for weekly errands like groceries, trips to the
hardware store, or travelling to amusements. Also, that 6 hours of sun a
day is just an average - if it's overcast for a week, I still have to go to
work. So I'd need at least one spare (I'd feel better with two, but let's
not go overboard).

So that's a total of 6 cars at $5,560 each, or $33,360. That's a lot of
money and parking space. In return, I wouldn't have to spend money on gas.
My car averages 33.41 miles per gallon, I drive 400 miles per week, so
that's about 12 gallons a week. At $3/gallon that comes to $36/week, or
$1,800 a year (allowing 2 weeks vacation). At zero interest, the gas
savings would pay for the cars in only 18.5 years.

Will these cars last that long? Maybe - after all, I'd only be using each
one for one day a week. But it doesn't look like a good substitute for my
present car for me. Lastly, there's my wife - her commute is 600 miles a
week. She'd need a dozen of these cars, since the 93 mile range wouldn't
give her one round trip a day.

I wouldn't buy the car - it's not suitable for my needs. As an aside,
people have been building solar powered cars occasionally at least since I
was in my teens some 50 years ago. The cost has come down, but so far the
range hasn't changed appreciably - there's only so much energy per square
yard of sunny surface, and even if you could convert it all into electricity
it wouldn't be enough to run the average lawnmower.

A "That One"

Oct 15, 2008, 10:46:41 AM10/15/08
In article
<b9b0e485-5a29-418c...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
James <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote:

ya know the first Prius could not be charged from a solar panel. or your
home outlet.
they changed that.,
I assume this attempt can be charged at work or at home form the house
current or a battery charger.
or will be by popular demand.
No.?
--
Money; What a concept !

Al Bundy

Oct 15, 2008, 1:57:15 PM10/15/08

Good point. The article does not say it, but it could easily be
charged using wall current. If it really does go 93 miles on a charge,
that doubles the battery powered distance of the GM volt that will
sell for just under $40K if Lutz can be believed, which he often
cannot. Even the battery supplier sees the deficiency of the GM Volt
with a 40 mile battery. They hope to double that by introduction.

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Oct 15, 2008, 1:57:50 PM10/15/08
Lou <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"James" <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote

>> The mini car produced by Zhejiang's 001 Group was designed to target
>> the increasingly serious energy crisis. The group has so far produced
>> over 10 such cars and each of them will sell for 38,000 yuan (US $5,560).

http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/content_16609473.htm

Sounds good to me. When can I buy one in the US?

>Let's see, the car will travel roughly 93 miles after sitting in the sun for
>30 hours. Taking nighttime, cloudy days, and seasonal variations into
>account, you might average 6 hours of sun a day. My round trip daily
>commute is 80 miles, 5 days a week.
>
>Looks like I'd need 5 of these cars just to get back and forth to work.

Or one, with a wall plug :-)

Nick

Rod Speed

Oct 15, 2008, 3:13:40 PM10/15/08
nicks...@ece.villanova.edu wrote

> Lou <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote
>> James <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> The mini car produced by Zhejiang's 001 Group was designed
>>> to target the increasingly serious energy crisis. The group has
>>> so far produced over 10 such cars and each of them will sell
>>> for 38,000 yuan (US $5,560).

>>> http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/content_16609473.htm

> Sounds good to me.

More fool you.

> When can I buy one in the US?

Never, you watch. Cant possibly meet the safety standards for starters.

>> Let's see, the car will travel roughly 93 miles after sitting in the
>> sun for 30 hours. Taking nighttime, cloudy days, and seasonal
>> variations into account, you might average 6 hours of sun a day.
>> My round trip daily commute is 80 miles, 5 days a week.

>> Looks like I'd need 5 of these cars just to get back and forth to work.

> Or one, with a wall plug :-)

Bet it wouldnt even do his range with a wall plug.

Rod Speed

Oct 15, 2008, 3:15:27 PM10/15/08
A "That One" <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote
> James <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote

>> The mini car produced by Zhejiang's 001 Group was designed to target
>> the increasingly serious energy crisis. The group has so far produced
>> over 10 such cars and each of them will sell for 38,000 yuan (US $5,560).

>> http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/content_16609473.htm

> ya know the first Prius could not be charged from a solar panel. or your home outlet.
> they changed that.,
> I assume this attempt can be charged at work or at home form the house
> current or a battery charger.
> or will be by popular demand.
> No.?

Looks like they are too stupid to do it like that.

And it isnt registerable in any first world country anyway even if they did.

Lou

Oct 15, 2008, 10:01:12 PM10/15/08

"A "That One"" <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote in message
So, if it can be charged from a wall plug, what's the charge time, and
what's the range per charge?

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 1:25:11 AM10/16/08

That obviously depends on the charger.

> and what's the range per charge?

It should be as good as a full charge from the solar panel.

Bet they're lying about that tho.

rst0wxyz

Oct 16, 2008, 1:41:29 AM10/16/08
On Oct 15, 10:25 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lou <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "A "That One"" <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote in message

> > So, if it can be charged from a wall plug, what's the charge time,
>
> That obviously depends on the charger.
>
> > and what's the range per charge?
>
> It should be as good as a full charge from the solar panel.
>
> Bet they're lying about that tho.

Support your local electric auto maker. Buy Tesla. Built in San Jose
with a over 200-mile range for a single charge, for only $109,000.
Tesla is laying off workers.

phil scott

Oct 16, 2008, 4:22:43 AM10/16/08
On Oct 15, 12:13 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> nicksans...@ece.villanova.edu wrote
>
> > Lou <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote
> >> James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote

> > Sounds good to me.
>
> More fool you.
>
> > When can I buy one in the US?
>
> Never, you watch. Cant possibly meet the safety standards for starters.
>
> >> Let's see, the car will travel roughly 93 miles after sitting in the
> >> sun for 30 hours.  Taking nighttime, cloudy days, and seasonal
> >> variations into account, you might average 6 hours of sun a day.
> >> My round trip daily commute is 80 miles, 5 days a week.
> >> Looks like I'd need 5 of these cars just to get back and forth to work.
> > Or one, with a wall plug :-)
>
> Bet it wouldnt even do his range with a wall plug.

the solar panel area can be trippled with fold outs etc... and you
would have grid voltage available to charge also... for china, often
not a lot travel it might work pretty well... in the US we drive way
too much for that.

Hybreds work though. a big deal... adding just a very small gas
engine, say 15 hp, would allow the car to travel at 30 mph almost
indefinitely in a pinch.. with stored solar as a boost you might get a
range of 50 or 100 miles at speeds over 50 mph... that would work.

its a first interation...no doubt the hybed features will be
added...GM had better get their ass in gear or china will eat their
lunch on this. imo

Phil scott (mech/electrical engr)

phil scott

Oct 16, 2008, 4:26:43 AM10/16/08
On Oct 15, 7:01 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "A "That One"" <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote in messagenews:georgewkspam-38CA...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net...
>

> > In article
> > <b9b0e485-5a29-418c-b3a8-1b32f3898...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> > James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The mini car produced by Zhejiang's 001 Group was designed to target
> >> the increasingly serious energy crisis. The group has so far produced
> >> over 10 such cars and each of them will sell for 38,000 yuan (US
> >> $5,560).
>
> >>http://www.china.org.cn/environment/health_green_living/2008-10/14/co...

> >> 09473.htm
>
> > ya know the first Prius could not be charged from a solar panel. or your
> > home outlet.
> > they changed that.,
> > I assume this attempt can be charged at work or at home form the house
> > current or a battery charger.
> > or will be by popular demand.
> > No.?
>
> So, if it can be charged from a wall plug, what's the charge time, and
> what's the range per charge?- Hide quoted text -

charge time etc is a function of what you choose to install... not
much of an issue, better simply runs costs up marginally.... the
chinese will make a hybred out of this...most car companies are hot on
such a program...with superb offerings, but at 30k or so... the
chinese wlll come in at a fifth of that... meeting US and world safety
standards shouldnt be an issue.

other car companies do it all the time.

Phil scott

Phil scott

phil scott

Oct 16, 2008, 4:28:22 AM10/16/08

the tesla is a world class sports car though... a humble peoples car
neednt be so expensive.. in the 20k for US mfgr at our labor rates...
5k or so in china at their labor rates.

Phil scott

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 5:32:45 AM10/16/08
phil scott <ph...@philscott.net> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> nicksans...@ece.villanova.edu wrote
>>> Lou <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote

>> More fool you.

>>> When can I buy one in the US?

>> Never, you watch. Cant possibly meet the safety standards for starters.

>> Bet it wouldnt even do his range with a wall plug.

> the solar panel area can be trippled with fold outs etc...

It doesnt appear to have those.

> and you would have grid voltage available to charge also...

You dont know that last.

> for china, often not a lot travel it might work pretty well...

Dunno, the pollution levels might well see the solar a lot worse than usual.

> in the US we drive way too much for that.

> Hybreds work though.

It isnt a hybrid.

> a big deal... adding just a very small gas engine, say 15 hp, would
> allow the car to travel at 30 mph almost indefinitely in a pinch..

Fraid not.

> with stored solar as a boost you might get a range of 50
> or 100 miles at speeds over 50 mph... that would work.

Not at that price it wouldnt.

> its a first interation...no doubt the hybed features will be added...

I doubt it. It appears to be a pure electric car.

It might well have grid charging added, but I bet it never becomes
a hybrid and it wouldnt be anything like that price if it did.

And it STILL wouldnt be registerable in any first world country either.

> GM had better get their ass in gear or china will eat their lunch on this.

Bet it doesnt. Bet its just another complete dud that never gets manufactured in volume.

It makes absolutely no sense to be solar powered. Bet it isnt even viable when grid powered.

> imo

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 5:36:46 AM10/16/08
rst0wxyz <rst0...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Lou <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote
>>> "A "That One"" <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote

>>> So, if it can be charged from a wall plug, what's the charge time,

>> That obviously depends on the charger.

>>> and what's the range per charge?

>> It should be as good as a full charge from the solar panel.

>> Bet they're lying about that tho.

> Support your local electric auto maker.

No thanks. I'll stick with gasoline and might add LPG if the gasoline
price goes thru the roof. I deliberately chose a very economical
gasoline powered car and the price of gasoline would have to be
about 5 times higher than what it peaked at to bother with LPG.

> Buy Tesla.

No thanks.

> Built in San Jose with a over 200-mile range for a single charge, for only $109,000.

That is a terminally stupid price. Its 10 times what I just paid for a brand new gasoline powered car.

> Tesla is laying off workers.

Their problem. At that price that will only continue.

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 5:37:58 AM10/16/08

Not with such a flimsy vehicle they dont.

Lou

Oct 16, 2008, 11:36:06 AM10/16/08

"phil scott" <ph...@philscott.net> wrote in message

Phil scott (mech/electrical engr)
Pretty hard to believe that signature line - if China eats lunch, at least
part of the reason will be that their engineers are educated enough and
careful enough to write gramatically correct sentences where the words are
correctly spelled.

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 12:53:54 PM10/16/08

You clearly haven't had much to do with real engineers.

jisseigh

Oct 16, 2008, 1:55:53 PM10/16/08
I'd buy it for, say, $500 U.S. -- no more. It's a typical piece of
Chink junk. Probably made from a lot of lead. And they don't say if
it has passenger seats.

Truthfully, the only product of China I'd really desire to purchase
would be a Chinee shrunken head. Maybe a dozen.

Wait! My brother the lawyer says make it five dozen!