Frugal red eye travel advice

bar...@amnia.com

May 11, 2008, 10:15:11 PM5/11/08
I am flying the red eye from CA to NYC next week. I often do this
because it allows me to have a full day of work on the departure day and
a full day of activity on the arrival date. In this case I leave at
10:30 p.m. PT and arrive at 7 a.m. ET. This assumes that ,like me, you
are fortunate to to be able to sleep on planes even while sitting up.

1- Remember "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?. do not sleep during the
day or evening of the trip. You want to be really tired when you board.

2- Always book an aisle seat. The extra few inches of room help. Try
to get the next to last row for two reasons. People tend to fill up the
front first so they can run off and wait for their bags. You have a
better chance of an empty middle seat or all three in the rear.People
rarely want the last row because the seats do not recline. If that row
is empty as soon as the seat belt sign goes off grab those seats and lie
down.

3- Bring your own food. It is cheaper and better than what is being
served and you can eat on your schedule instead of the airlines. The
only thing I do not get in advance is a bottle of water.

4- When you get to your destination do what you normally do in the
morning, in my case, shower, have breakfast,read the paper and go for a
walk. Do activities that keep you mentally active,if you sleep you
defeat the whole idea. Maybe take a nap late in the afternoon and go to
be a little earlier but that is it.

5- Take an early evening/late afternoon flight back. I am leaving at 5
p.m. ET,arriving around 8 PT, will be home by 9 ,asleep by 10 and ready
for work in the morning.