Photo scanning service?

m...@privacy.net

Jul 30, 2007, 11:58:00 AM7/30/07
I have abt 100 family photos of various shapes and
sizes (old) that Id like to have scanned and digitized

I don't have the time or equip to do myself.

Any advise on services that can do this?

Jessica V.

Jul 30, 2007, 1:29:07 PM7/30/07

Check with the local mom & pop camera store and see if it's a service
they do on site or if there is anyone nearby who performs scanning
service at their location, not mailed off to who knows where. I'd be
very hesitant to send them off for fear that they'd be lost. Friends
and relatives who are photo buffs or family historians, might have the
equipment to do the job and be willing to do it for a reasonable
price.

lee houston

Jul 30, 2007, 2:16:35 PM7/30/07

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

WalMart and Walgreens often have 'self-scan' kiosks
to scan photos to CD. Call 'em and check prices.

lee

www.Queensbridge.us

Jul 30, 2007, 6:00:34 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 11:58 am, m...@privacy.net wrote:

Why not buy a scanner on sale and do it yourself?

I bought a scanner for ten dollars after rebate from Staples and am
very happy with it.

Scan at 300DPI if you want to keep photos at same size.

--
Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or

m...@privacy.net

Jul 31, 2007, 10:28:42 AM7/31/07
"www.Queensbridge.us" <NOTv...@Queensbridge.us> wrote:

>Why not buy a scanner on sale and do it yourself?

No computer at home to hook scanner up to

PaPaPeng

Jul 31, 2007, 12:47:11 PM7/31/07

Then what you really want to do is to copy the photos on a color
copier using photographic grade paper. Ask Kinko's or any self
service photocopy shop if they have a suitable copier. The color
pigments are polymer based and therefore permanent, unlike inkjets.
You can probably save quite a lot of money and effort by maximizing
the number of photos that can fit into one standard paper page. This
helps in organising your photo collection too. Another advantage is
you can enlarge selected photos and/or crop them.

m...@privacy.net

Jul 31, 2007, 3:10:17 PM7/31/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Then what you really want to do is to copy the photos on a color
>copier using photographic grade paper.

I only need electronic files for the moment

rick++

Jul 31, 2007, 6:42:59 PM7/31/07
Kinkos rents such, but I dont know if that is cheapest.
I recall its by the hour.

scrapq...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2007, 11:20:15 PM7/31/07
On Jul 30, 11:58 am, m...@privacy.net wrote:

Find a local teenager or anyone you know with a scanner and a computer
equipped with a CD burner. Call in a favor, trade for something you
can do for them, or pay them some cash.

Anthony Matonak

Aug 1, 2007, 1:04:16 AM8/1/07

If you don't have a computer then what do you need with electronic
files? You won't be able to actually use them without using some
kind of computer somewhere.

That said, do you have any friends with computers? Scanners can
be found pretty cheap if they don't already have one.

Anthony

Rick

Aug 1, 2007, 1:39:44 AM8/1/07

You'd need to check into specialty photo processing places - either Mom
& Pop independent stores or a chain like Ritz camera to find a place to
do it. But keep in mind that having them do it won't be cheap. Even if
you could find a place to do it at $2.00 a photo without anything but
the most basic color corrections involved... The problem is there's a
lot of manual labor involved. It's not like running a pile of 8.5x11"
paper through an automated copier. Each one of those photos has to be
manually placed into a scanner, scanned, saved and then all burned onto
a CD once it's all done. Digitizing just about *any* other format -
slides, negatives, video tape or 8mm film - is a lot less labor
intensive than individual photos. They key here - and cost - is having
someone else do it.

Rick

Parallax

Aug 1, 2007, 10:44:26 AM8/1/07
Anthony Matonak wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>> PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Then what you really want to do is to copy the photos on a color
>>> copier using photographic grade paper.
>>
>> I only need electronic files for the moment
>
> If you don't have a computer then what do you need with electronic
> files? You won't be able to actually use them without using some
> kind of computer somewhere.

Most if not all DVD players will display jpg files, standalone or
slideshow-style.

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 1, 2007, 10:49:28 AM8/1/07
Rick <rick...@rcn.com> wrote:

>Each one of those photos has to be
>manually placed into a scanner, scanned, saved and then all burned onto
>a CD once it's all done. Digitizing just about *any* other format -
>slides, negatives, video tape or 8mm film - is a lot less labor
>intensive than individual photos. They key here - and cost - is having
>someone else do it.

Yep

It IS manually intensive....as you said each print has
to be inserted into the scanner

Rick

Aug 5, 2007, 10:24:45 PM8/5/07

So I was in a Walgreens Friday and checked things out. You can scan the
photos yourself and get a CD created for only $2.99. Again though - the
key here to the $2.99 frugal part is standing there and scanning the
photos yourself. Originally you were asking about having someone else do
it so I don't know if this option will interest you.

I didn't fully check out how flexible this is but I did find out a
couple things:

You are limited to pre-set, standard scan sizes. You can pick from the
usual standard photo formats: 3.5x5, 4x6, 5x7" etc. If you have old
format 110 or 126 photos you will have to adapt and work with that,
probably ending up with a blank "frame" on either side of the photo.
(What was the old 110 format? 3.25" square? No preset options for the
older formats.)

I didn't see any options to set a scan resolution. Whatever default the
scanner is set to use is what you get. If you wanted to make the photos
appear larger for on-screen viewing, but the scanner is stuck at
something like 96 dpi, the photos won't appear any larger on screen than
the size of the original. A DVD player with a zoom feature can make them
look larger, but that may make them look just blurry as well if these
kiosks don't scan any higher than 96 dpi.

The person I asked didn't say what format the files are stored in - and
couldn't care less to actually answer the question. If they are actually
creating Kodak Photo CD format then you could do a batch of 20 or so at
a time, bring the same CD back, and do another batch and have those
added to the same CD in another "album." It would cost $2.99 each time
you do that. If it's just .JPG images dumped on a CD then it would cost
$2.99 for each new CD and you would end up with the images dumped on
separate CD's that need to be kept track of. One way or the other, this
would help to break the labor part into more manageable batches.

Good idea to bring your own spray cleaner and a soft cloth. These stores
aren't known for actually cleaning the scanner glass. It was disgusting
in this store - looked like it hadn't been Windexed in a good six
months.

HTH

Rick

hchi...@hotmail.com

Aug 5, 2007, 10:39:52 PM8/5/07
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:24:45 -0400, Rick <rick...@rcn.com> wrote:

>Good idea to bring your own spray cleaner and a soft cloth. These stores
>aren't known for actually cleaning the scanner glass. It was disgusting
>in this store - looked like it hadn't been Windexed in a good six
>months.

Not good for those Greek wedding pics...

m...@privacy.net

Aug 6, 2007, 11:27:45 AM8/6/07
Rick <rick...@rcn.com> wrote:

>So I was in a Walgreens Friday and checked things out. You can scan the
>photos yourself and get a CD created for only $2.99. Again though - the
>key here to the $2.99 frugal part is standing there and scanning the
>photos yourself. Originally you were asking about having someone else do
>it so I don't know if this option will interest you.

Yes.... thanks so much for your report Rick!

I am the guy who posted abt scanning and saving old
photos. I don't have ANY computer equip to do myself
at the moment.

Anyway..... yes.... the resolution the Walgreens and
Walmart kiosks save in does concern me. I do need a
good "archival" quality resolution as these photos are
very old BW photos.

I'm a poor starving college student.... not working, no
income right now

I do, however, have some money to spend and could buy
my own flatbed scanner to hook up to someone elses or
the colleges computer I guess.

What brand/model all in one scanner/printer would you
advise? Any god all in ones with a god scanner
portion?

m...@privacy.net

Aug 6, 2007, 11:29:09 AM8/6/07
Rick <rick...@rcn.com> wrote:

>Good idea to bring your own spray cleaner and a soft cloth. These stores
>aren't known for actually cleaning the scanner glass. It was disgusting
>in this store - looked like it hadn't been Windexed in a good six
>months.

yeah....another god reason for me to just break down
and buy equip to my myself!

Dennis

Aug 6, 2007, 12:25:23 PM8/6/07

Have you recently found religion, or do you just have a flakey 'o'
key?

Dennis (evil)

m...@privacy.net

Aug 6, 2007, 12:59:24 PM8/6/07
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>yeah....another god reason for me to just break down
>>and buy equip to my myself!
>
>Have you recently found religion, or do you just have a flakey 'o'
>key?

sorry..flaky spell check

The Real Bev

Aug 6, 2007, 9:10:18 PM8/6/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> What brand/model all in one scanner/printer would you
> advise? Any god all in ones with a god scanner
> portion?

I'm happy with my Canon Canoscan 8400F which I've had since June 2005.
<http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=120&modelid=10242>

Does prints, 35mm and 2.25 slides and negatives, and can work as a slow
copier. Lowest price I saw was $140+shipping etc., but I didn't look very
hard. I wasn't interested in normal printing or faxing, but it's fine for
scanning.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rick

Aug 7, 2007, 1:28:01 PM8/7/07

So I was in Ritz camera yesterday. Originally I was guestimating on the
$2.00 cost per photo if you had someone else do it. Turns out I was
right. That's what Ritz camera charges - $2.00 per scan - if you have
them do the job for you. That includes no retouching services at all. So
your question is: It this worth the $200.00 to you to have someone else
scan those 100 photos?

In another post you mentioned being in school. Doesn't the school have a
media lab where you can do this kind of stuff, possibly for a nominal
fee?

Rick

orinoco...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2007, 11:02:02 PM8/8/07
> Why not buy a scanner on sale and do it yourself?
>
> I bought a scanner for ten dollars after rebate from Staples and am
> very happy with it.

Really? Where? How? Thanks!