Cheesecake without the mix?

OhioGuy

Sep 19, 2007, 4:55:51 PM9/19/07
I was making a cherry cheesecake today using a cheesecake mix. I tasted
it before putting it in the refrigerator, and thought it tasted a bit like
half banana pudding, half vanilla pudding, with cream cheese.

This got me to wondering - could I make a similar cheesecake by using a
couple of packets of each variety of pudding, then mixing in half a package
of cream cheese?

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Wooly

Sep 19, 2007, 5:04:30 PM9/19/07

If you're going to use creamed cheese anyhow just toss in a couple of
eggs and make a REAL cheesecake. It ain't rocket science!

Goomba38

Sep 19, 2007, 5:12:03 PM9/19/07
Those aren't cheesecakes. They might loosely be described as "cream
cheese pies".....? And I think you'd have to use a bit more than just a
half package (4 oz??) of cream cheese to make it stand out as even
containing any cream cheese.
Try looking at the Philadelphia Cream Cheese website for recipes ideas.
They sell the stuff, they've probably got folks there inventing recipes
and ways to use it. I bet you'll find something along those lines there.

Dennis

Sep 19, 2007, 6:15:28 PM9/19/07
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:55:51 -0400, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:

> I was making a cherry cheesecake today using a cheesecake mix. I tasted
>it before putting it in the refrigerator, and thought it tasted a bit like
>half banana pudding, half vanilla pudding, with cream cheese.
>
> This got me to wondering - could I make a similar cheesecake by using a
>couple of packets of each variety of pudding, then mixing in half a package
>of cream cheese?

Basic cheesecake is so simple to make from scratch that I don't know
why you would bother. Four ingredients for the filling, mix, bake.
How could it get much easier?

Dennis (evil)

George

Sep 19, 2007, 6:20:44 PM9/19/07
Cheesecake has to be one of the easiest things to make without needing
any of those industrial better living through chemistry mixes sold at
the big box mart.

Gordon

Sep 19, 2007, 11:04:33 PM9/19/07
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:fcs2ct$hig$1...@aioe.org:

News Flash!
You don't need the mix to make cheese cake.

Google "Cheese Cake Recipe" to find out how.

OhioGuy

Sep 20, 2007, 3:40:12 PM9/20/07
>Basic cheesecake is so simple to make from scratch that >I don't know why
>you would bother. Four ingredients >for the filling, mix, bake. How could
>it get much easier?

Well, for one thing, I don't want to bake it. When the house is already
85 degrees, the last thing I want is for the oven to be on adding more heat
to the house.

Currently, I can use the no bake mix to make a cheesecake in an hour.

I was wondering if I could use pudding mix with a bit of cream cheese,
still have it no bake, STILL have it only take an hour (from start to eating
it), and maybe save a buck by using generic pudding, instead of the name
brand cheesecake mix.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever experimented with this, to get
some feedback/ideas, before trying it on my own.

Dennis

Sep 20, 2007, 4:00:30 PM9/20/07

Ah, I see -- you are satisfied with cheesecake-like pudding substance.
If that's what you like, best of luck with your experimenting. :-)

J. Davidson

Sep 20, 2007, 4:17:10 PM9/20/07
I think this is a very reasonable idea, and I would use instant vanilla or
perhaps lemon pudding with the cream cheese, and put it in a graham cracker
crust. Maybe a 4th less milk in the instant pudding.

I do black and white cake by using instant chocolate and inst vanilla,
putting some rum flavoring in the chocolate which of course goes on the
bottom, the vanilla on top, and coolwhip on top of that when serving.
Experiment and have fun.
Jjackie

Don K

Sep 20, 2007, 6:18:43 PM9/20/07
"Dennis" <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I've had cheesecake ice cream and cheesecake snowballs.

They sort of remind me of cheesecake in the same way that
a pop-tart reminds me of French pastry.

Don

Wooly

Sep 20, 2007, 6:23:02 PM9/20/07
OhioGuy wrote:
>> Basic cheesecake is so simple to make from scratch that >I don't know why
>> you would bother. Four ingredients >for the filling, mix, bake. How could
>> it get much easier?
>
> Well, for one thing, I don't want to bake it. When the house is already
> 85 degrees, the last thing I want is for the oven to be on adding more heat
> to the house.

I guess you've got your priorities...

George

Sep 20, 2007, 6:33:43 PM9/20/07
OhioGuy wrote:
>> Basic cheesecake is so simple to make from scratch that >I don't know why
>> you would bother. Four ingredients >for the filling, mix, bake. How could
>> it get much easier?
>
> Well, for one thing, I don't want to bake it. When the house is already
> 85 degrees, the last thing I want is for the oven to be on adding more heat
> to the house.
>
> Currently, I can use the no bake mix to make a cheesecake in an hour.

But thats not even close to a cheesecake. Its just a clone of something
you could get at the big box mart and many industrial restaurants.

Vic Smith

Sep 20, 2007, 6:30:04 PM9/20/07
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:18:43 -0400, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com>
wrote:

Everybody sure has different tastes. I wouldn't dream of eating
instant pudding. Pudding is easy to cook, and you can get the scum on
top too, if you like.
The oddest thing of all is "Lite" beer. WTF?
A fat guy eats 10 containers of instant pudding, then thinks a few
"Lite" beers will fix him up?

--Vic

Dennis

Sep 20, 2007, 7:08:34 PM9/20/07
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:30:04 -0500, Vic Smith
<thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Everybody sure has different tastes. I wouldn't dream of eating
>instant pudding. Pudding is easy to cook, and you can get the scum on
>top too, if you like.
>The oddest thing of all is "Lite" beer. WTF?
>A fat guy eats 10 containers of instant pudding, then thinks a few
>"Lite" beers will fix him up?

Yeah, I don't get that one either.

How come the rough-tough rugged men who wear the big Stetson hats and
shit-caked boots back in the cowboy states drink Coors lite beer and
girlie coffee-colored-water, while us sensitive new-age guys out here
in Portland drink real beer and real coffee? Seems all backwards.

Gordon

Sep 20, 2007, 8:03:32 PM9/20/07
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:fcuibp$b8i$1...@aioe.org:

OK, I see.
Well there are recipies for no-bake cheese cakes. They are more
like cheese pies. But yummy non-the-less.

For what you are trying to do I would take two packages of cream
cheese,two tablespoons of milk, and a tablespoon or so of suger.
Whip it with an electric mixer untill it is creamy. Then I would
slowly add half a package of instant vinilla pudding mix and a cup
of milk (?? check the package) while you keep the mixer going.
You can experiment with using between half and a full package
of instant pudding mix (I'm talking about the small packages).

Chloe

Sep 20, 2007, 8:15:06 PM9/20/07
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:fcuibp$b8i$1...@aioe.org...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/CakesPiesCheesecakes/CheesecakesNo-Bake/index.html

Rick

Sep 20, 2007, 9:20:25 PM9/20/07

This thread should have been called "Cheesecake without the cheese"...

I can't imagine this working. 4 ounces of cream cheese into 2 cups of
milk won't be enough to taste of cheese anything. Plus the puddings you
are planning to use have far too much sugar in them - too sweet. You're
likely to end up with "very sweet vanilla tasting thick stuff." But
nothing close to even a bad imitation of "cheesecake in a box." That is,
assuming the pudding will set with the addition of a foreign ingredient
like the cream cheese. All you can do is try it... (I know, I know - I
can hear everyone muttering "Why?")

Rick

Message has been deleted

Don

Sep 21, 2007, 5:29:44 PM9/21/07

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:fcs2ct$hig$1...@aioe.org...

Ingredients
1 cup HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/3 cups fruit juice*
2 cups sliced, fresh strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed

Preparation
MIX crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and butter; press onto bottom of 9-inch
springform pan. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes if using a silver springform
pan; cool. (Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes if using a dark nonstick springform
pan.)

BEAT cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar with electric mixer on
medium speed until well blended. Add fruit juice; mix until blended. Gently
stir in berries and whipped topping.

POUR over prepared crust. Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Let
stand at room temperature 15 minutes before cutting to serve.

http://cheesecake-recipes.kraftfoods.com/cheesecake_03.html

spacer.gif

ChairMan

Sep 22, 2007, 12:36:33 AM9/22/07
In news:46f2f2b6$0$28818$4c36...@roadrunner.com,
Wooly <nobody@nunya>spewed forth:

and no standards<g>

< its a sacrilege >

Phred

Sep 22, 2007, 6:16:41 AM9/22/07

>>> Well, for one thing, I don't want to bake it. When the house is
>>> already 85 degrees, the last thing I want is for the oven to be on
>>> adding more heat to the house.

FYI here's a copy of a recipe I posted recently in rec.food.cooking
(Including the link to the introductory graphics. :)

<quoting myself>

</quoting myself>

Cheers, Phred.

--