Re: Web site for product reviews?

Message has been deleted

Shawn H.

Nov 27, 2007, 6:17:43 PM11/27/07
In article <Xns99F542AAED...@130.133.1.4>,
Ken Knecht <kenk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a trustworthy web site like Consumer Reports magazine that
> covers less expensive items, like heaters, to help make buying decisions?

Why not check Consumer Reports' web site? They review a wide range of
products, including less expensive items such as space heaters.

m...@privacy.net

Nov 27, 2007, 7:03:32 PM11/27/07
>Why not check Consumer Reports' web site?

Speaking of which..... does anyone have a subscription
to the CR web site and think it worth it?

John Weiss

Nov 27, 2007, 7:44:03 PM11/27/07
<m...@privacy.net> wrote...

> >Why not check Consumer Reports' web site?
>
> Speaking of which..... does anyone have a subscription
> to the CR web site and think it worth it?

Had one; dropped it. It wasn't worth the $$ they charged for piss-poor tech
support and a Microsoft-dependent site. To add even more insult, they continued
the "auto-renewal" on my credit card even after I cancelled!

CR is getting to be too much like some of the "bad" companies they report on!

Logan Shaw

Nov 27, 2007, 10:48:13 PM11/27/07
John Weiss wrote:
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote...
>>> Why not check Consumer Reports' web site?
>> Speaking of which..... does anyone have a subscription
>> to the CR web site and think it worth it?
>
> Had one; dropped it. It wasn't worth the $$ they charged for piss-poor tech
> support and a Microsoft-dependent site. To add even more insult, they continued
> the "auto-renewal" on my credit card even after I cancelled!

I had a similar mildly bad experience with Consumer Reports. They stated that
they auto-renewed the subscription, so I avoided that by using a "virtual
account number" generated by on my credit card's web site. The virtual account
numbers always expire the month following when they're created, so they're
great for anything that tries to auto-renew: by the time they try to run
the charge for auto-renewal, the number is expired, the charge won't go
through, and they conveniently cancel the service for you. :-)

Anyway, I didn't get stuck with an auto-renewal for that reason, but I did
waste money. I had bought their new car buying guide (which, by the way, was
really helpful), and they had incomplete information about a first model year
car I was interested in. They had plastered all over the book that I could
get updated information by subscribing to their web site, so I spent $30 or
whatever to do so, only to find that though it had been 6+ months since they
published the book, the web site's info hadn't been updated in that time.
So much for updated information. I basically spent $30 for nothing, based
on the silly idea that their web site would be updated more than once a year.

- Logan

Steve

Nov 28, 2007, 2:22:43 AM11/28/07
"John Weiss" <jrweiss98...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>> Speaking of which..... does anyone have a subscription
>> to the CR web site and think it worth it?
>
>Had one; dropped it. It wasn't worth the $$ they charged for piss-poor tech
>support and a Microsoft-dependent site. To add even more insult, they continued
>the "auto-renewal" on my credit card even after I cancelled!

And every 2-3 days they send me a "Special Offer" of "only $1 per
month" for their site. grrrr

--

Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.

...Garrison Keillor

Steve

Nov 28, 2007, 2:23:16 AM11/28/07
Ken Knecht <kenk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there a trustworthy web site like Consumer Reports magazine that
>covers less expensive items, like heaters, to help make buying decisions?

Why not just check customer reviews on Amazon or whatever...

Message has been deleted

Ken Knecht

Nov 28, 2007, 10:26:17 AM11/28/07
Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in

> [...]
> Add comfort with ease
>
> The Holmes Quartz Tower, Pelonis Disc Furnace, DeLonghi SafeHeat Flat
> Panel and Honeywell Low Profile Convection space heaters.
>
> Our tests of the latest electric space heaters show that they provide
> more-consistent heat than those we last tested. And while they're also
> safer, space heaters still account for 40 percent of the deaths and 30
> percent of the injuries each year in this country that are heating
> related, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Fuel-fired models
> carry their own risks (see Safety risks).
>
> All of the tested space heaters will comfortably warm a chilly room.
> But remember, the only way to potentially save money is to use a
> heater in one room and leave the rest of the house chillier.
>
> Temperature control is key. Most of the heaters controlled room
> temperature well. Eight models with a thermostat excelled, maintaining
> temperature within 3° F or less. Buy a space heater without one, and
> you'll have to turn it off at the desired temperature and on again to
> heat. Heaters with multiple output settings let you choose the lowest
> one that keeps a room comfortable, saving energy.
>
> Safety varies among models. One space heater distinguishes itself with
> a sensor that turns off the unit when the grille is touched. A
> tip-over switch that shuts down a knocked-over heater is another
> desirable feature; five tested models lack one.
>
> High-priced models disappoint. Two heaters earned the lowest overall
> scores. One provided only fair temperature control and ease of use.
> Its boast that it can cut heating bills by up to half is questionable.
> The other, equipped with an air purifier, provided lackluster
> temperature control, cleaned the air poorly, and lacks an
> overheat-protection feature.
>
> CR Quick Recommendations
> The Ratings rank models by overall performance within types. Quick
> Picks lists models with performance and value.
>

> Quick Picks
> If you want a small or thin unit:
> DeLonghi SafeHeat Flat Panel Micathermic HHP 1500 $80
> Pelonis Disc Furnace VHC-461 $110
> Honeywell Mini Tower 360 Surround HZ-2200 $30
>
> All three models deliver excellent temperature control. The flat-panel
> DeLonghi is quieter since it lacks a fan, and this lightweight model
> can be mounted on a wall. The diminutive Pelonis and Honeywell have
> longer power cords, providing more placement options without an
> extension cord. The Honeywell is very noisy.
>

> If you prefer a baseboard look:
> Honeywell Low Profile Convection Heater HZ-519 $60, CR Best Buy
>
> This heater is designed for placement along a wall, keeping it out of
> the middle of the room. Very safe to use, this model runs quietly and
> offers excellent temperature control.
>
> If you want direct heat:
> Holmes Quartz Tower HQH319 $60, CR Best Buy
>
> Using quartz-tube elements to heat, the Holmes offers excellent
> temperature control and 750- and 1,500-watt settings.

Thank you very much!

--
When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
remember that it is still an evil.

Max Lerner

m...@privacy.net

Nov 28, 2007, 1:21:16 PM11/28/07

Hmmm...sorry to hear that.

They just sent me an offer to get the online version
for only $12 extra a month as I already get their
magazine.

What did you pay for your online sub?

And.....cant use it with Firefox huh?

m...@privacy.net

Nov 28, 2007, 1:22:16 PM11/28/07
>Anyway, I didn't get stuck with an auto-renewal for that reason, but I did
>waste money. I had bought their new car buying guide (which, by the way, was
>really helpful), and they had incomplete information about a first model year
>car I was interested in. They had plastered all over the book that I could
>get updated information by subscribing to their web site, so I spent $30 or
>whatever to do so, only to find that though it had been 6+ months since they
>published the book, the web site's info hadn't been updated in that time.
>So much for updated information. I basically spent $30 for nothing, based
>on the silly idea that their web site would be updated more than once a year.

wow

dose NOT sound good for CR!

m...@privacy.net

Nov 28, 2007, 1:22:52 PM11/28/07
>And every 2-3 days they send me a "Special Offer" of "only $1 per
>month" for their site. grrrr

yep

just got that one myself yesterday.... hence the
question if its worth doing.