Linux Laptop

mwmil...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2007, 3:47:35 PM7/12/07
Is there a laptop that can run / or comes installed with linux or some
version of unix? available to the common consumer?

Any help appreciated

Brontide

Jul 12, 2007, 3:53:29 PM7/12/07

There is this small company called Dell that is now selling one or two
laptops with linux preinstalled.

-Eric

Rod Speed

Jul 12, 2007, 4:33:32 PM7/12/07
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a laptop that can run / or comes installed with linux
> or some version of unix? available to the common consumer?

Corse there is. Most laptops will run linux fine.

larry

Jul 12, 2007, 5:05:43 PM7/12/07
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote:

There are several Linux "distros" that can be downloaded and
burned to cd. you can then boot from the cd and run Linux
to see how you like it without changing your laptop os. if
you like it, you can tell the cd to load Linux to the laptop.

I've been using it for months, nice not having all the damn
M$ crashes. i also found "freedos", a dos 6.x 32bit file
compatible upgrade. i still get much more done faster with
my 20 year old dos programs that uncle bill has tried his
best to render useless. he is still trying to convince
everyone windows doesn't have dos ;-)

-larry / dallas

Daniel T.

Jul 12, 2007, 6:03:43 PM7/12/07
On Jul 12, 3:47 pm, mwmiller...@gmail.com wrote:

All Apple Macintoshes come installed with a version of unix called
Darwin.

Ken

Jul 13, 2007, 1:23:51 AM7/13/07
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote in

> Is there a laptop that can run / or comes installed with linux or some
> version of unix? available to the common consumer?
>
> Any help appreciated

Madtux.org at the following address has several desktop computers and one
laptop. I just received my Freespire PC yesterday and I'm putting it thru
its paces.

http://store.madtux.org/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=298

Enjoy.
Ken
________

Darth Chaos

Jul 26, 2007, 12:32:03 AM7/26/07
On Jul 13, 12:23 am, Ken <klope...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> mwmiller...@gmail.com wrote innews:1184269655.7...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Is there a laptop that can run / or comes installed with linux or some
> > version of unix? available to the common consumer?
>
> > Any help appreciated
>
> Madtux.org at the following address has several desktop computers and one
> laptop. I just received myFreespirePC yesterday and I'm putting it thru

Ever since I started using Ubuntu, I have to say I like GNOME better
than KDE. Of course I tried the most recent Release Candidate of
Freespire 2.0 on my laptop, and everything on my laptop (except for
the dial-up modem) worked out of the box...even wifi worked out of the
box. The modem drivers were readily available on linuxant.com, and it
uses the same modem drivers that Ubuntu uses (since Freespire and
Linspire are now based on Ubuntu).

I thought it was pretty good. If you want the newest Freespire, you
can either wait for the official release of Freespire 2.0 or download
the most recent Release Candidate.