PrinterAnywhere

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Aug 17, 2007, 10:13:45 AM8/17/07
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64307/description.html?tk=nl_ddxd

Send files to someone else's printer -- around the corner or around the
world.

Want to print a document directly on a buddy's printer, anywhere in the
world?
If you're both online, you can do it with PrinterAnywhere. The free utility
installs
on both PCs and you can choose the PrinterAnywhere printer from any
application.
An encrypted version shoots through the 'Net and prints on your buddy's
printer.
Turn the idea around and you can share your printer with anyone. It's ideal
for
sending confidential docs (the file's encrypted when sent) and unlike
e-mail,
it can't be forwarded.

simon

Aug 17, 2007, 2:29:43 PM8/17/07
AllEmailDeletedImmediately <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64307/description.html?tk=nl_ddxd
>
> Send files to someone else's printer -- around the corner or around the world.

No thanks, it makes a lot more sense to send a file that
can be printed if the recipient wants to print it instead.

And the last thing I want is to allow anyone to print on my printer.

> Want to print a document directly on a buddy's printer, anywhere in the world?

Nope.

> If you're both online,

Another massive downside. Makes a lot more sense to make a file available
so that the recipient can get it any time its convenient for them to do that.

> you can do it with PrinterAnywhere. The free utility installs on both PCs and you can choose the
> PrinterAnywhere printer from any application.
> An encrypted version shoots through the 'Net and prints on your buddy's printer.
> Turn the idea around and you can share your printer with anyone. It's ideal for
> sending confidential docs (the file's encrypted when sent) and unlike e-mail,
> it can't be forwarded.

And if the printer stuffs up, you'll never know.

Logan Shaw

Aug 17, 2007, 8:22:23 PM8/17/07
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> An encrypted version shoots through the 'Net and prints on your buddy's
> printer.
> Turn the idea around and you can share your printer with anyone. It's ideal
> for
> sending confidential docs (the file's encrypted when sent) and unlike
> e-mail,
> it can't be forwarded.

If, when they say, "can't be forwarded" what they mean is that it's
somewhat harder to forward it, then I'll agree. If they actually
mean "can't be forwarded", then they're nuts, and wrong.

- Logan

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 19, 2007, 12:27:16 AM8/19/07
In article <46c63bb9$0$24124$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, lshaw-
use...@austin.rr.com says...

Like pull it out of the printer, put it in a scanner, and forward
the image embedded in email?

That wouldn't give me much conference in the confidentiality.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 19, 2007, 1:44:04 AM8/19/07
In article <MPG.21316646b...@nntp.aioe.org>,
Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG says...

> In article <46c63bb9$0$24124$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, lshaw-
> use...@austin.rr.com says...
> > AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> > > An encrypted version shoots through the 'Net and prints on your buddy's
> > > printer.
> > > Turn the idea around and you can share your printer with anyone. It's ideal
> > > for
> > > sending confidential docs (the file's encrypted when sent) and unlike
> > > e-mail,
> > > it can't be forwarded.
>

> > If, when they say, "can't be forwarded" what they mean is that it's
> > somewhat harder to forward it, then I'll agree. If they actually
> > mean "can't be forwarded", then they're nuts, and wrong.
>

> Like pull it out of the printer, put it in a scanner, and forward
> the image embedded in email?
>
> That wouldn't give me much conference in the confidentiality.

I don't have much confIDence in my spell checker, either...

Logan Shaw

Aug 19, 2007, 5:37:46 AM8/19/07
Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
> In article <46c63bb9$0$24124$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, lshaw-
> use...@austin.rr.com says...
>> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

>>> Turn the idea around and you can share your printer with anyone. It's ideal
>>> for
>>> sending confidential docs (the file's encrypted when sent) and unlike
>>> e-mail,
>>> it can't be forwarded.

>> If, when they say, "can't be forwarded" what they mean is that it's
>> somewhat harder to forward it, then I'll agree. If they actually
>> mean "can't be forwarded", then they're nuts, and wrong.

> Like pull it out of the printer, put it in a scanner, and forward
> the image embedded in email?

That would work. I was thinking more in the digital realm. The most
obvious thing to do would be to use one of those "print to PDF" pseudo-
printer devices. Another way would be to share a Postscript printer,
then run a network protocol analyzer like Wireshark while your computer
sends the job to the printer. Since Wireshark can reconstruct a TCP
stream and save it to a file, you can just grab the document right off
the network as it goes by. Once you have a Postscript file, it's pretty
easy to convert that to a PDF.

- Logan