Warning about Veterinarians

me

Dec 7, 2007, 2:33:31 PM12/7/07
For a discussion of the money grubbing tactics of tucson veterinarians,
see recent threads in rec.pets.cats.health+behavior ,
rec.pets.cats.community and alt.pets.cats.

Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
beyone animal welfare. Since many of the people who frequent the usenet
pets groups work in vet clinics, I thought I was largely alone until I
happenstanced on this web page, put up by someone I do not know who has
worked in vet clinics. http://tinyurl.com/2gqn3f

And check out the shoddy job the Arizona State Licensing Board does with
oversight of AZ Veterinarians (typical do nothing State Gov. with no
standards) http://tinyurl.com/yq7f9r

andur

Dec 7, 2007, 2:58:28 PM12/7/07
And this is how the American Veterinary Medical Association's handles
dissent within it's ranks. http://tinyurl.com/2wecdc

This is the type of leadership in this so-called "profession"

Dec 7, 2007, 6:33:24 PM12/7/07
me wrote:

> Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
> beyone animal welfare.

We have vets like that in our community as well, but I personally know
of two vets who do not have that mindset, and there are probably more.
Of course, my general neighborhood is probably far more populous than
Tucson (probably at least 300K people within a 5-mile radius of where I
live as the crow flies and undoubtedly just as densely populated for at
least twice that far), but if you hunt far enough, certainly you should
be able to find someone.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Stan Brown

Dec 8, 2007, 3:58:36 AM12/8/07
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:33:31 +0000 (UTC) from me <m...@me.org>:

> Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
> beyone animal welfare.

If you're trying to convince anybody of anything, the way to do it is
not by making broad generalizations like this.

Tucson is a big place; it's awfully hard to believe you know the main
concern" of every vet in the area. So we're left to assume you've had
a bad experience with one or two, and are tarring all the rest with
the same brush. That reflects on you, not them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

cybercat

Dec 8, 2007, 9:09:40 AM12/8/07

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:33:31 +0000 (UTC) from me <m...@me.org>:
>> Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
>> beyone animal welfare.
>
> If you're trying to convince anybody of anything, the way to do it is
> not by making broad generalizations like this.

Argue with idiots much, Stan?

Bill

Dec 8, 2007, 11:25:55 AM12/8/07
> For a discussion of the money grubbing tactics
> of tucson veterinarians...

Same thing these days with dentists, doctors, air conditioning/heating
repair people, etc.

This is why I research and learn about things on the internet first. Then I
know if someone is giving me a line of whooey...

Chuck Whealton

Dec 8, 2007, 2:39:58 PM12/8/07
On Dec 7, 2:33 pm, me <m...@me.org> wrote:
> For a discussion of the money grubbing tactics of tucson veterinarians,
> see recent threads in rec.pets.cats.health+behavior ,
> rec.pets.cats.community and alt.pets.cats.
>
> Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
> beyone animal welfare. Since many of the people who frequent the usenet
> pets groups work in vet clinics, I thought I was largely alone until I
> happenstanced on this web page, put up by someone I do not know who has
> worked in vet clinics.http://tinyurl.com/2gqn3f

> And check out the shoddy job the Arizona State Licensing Board does with
> oversight of AZ Veterinarians (typical do nothing State Gov. with no
> standards)http://tinyurl.com/yq7f9r

Guy, there are probably a lot of vets that DO NOT put profit above all
else. I know how irritating it can be. The vet I've been using for
years left the practice she was at and at her new one (much further
away) they don't even take parrots.

As a result, I'm left going to a place that, as you mentioned, puts
profit above everything else.

I take my Orange Wing Amazon there and each time they want to sock me
with all these checkup charges, charge me outrageous prices for
medications, etc.

It's ridiculous. My bill has gone from around $40 to these jokers
wanting over $100 each time I go there, and right now, I can't find
any other vet that does parrots.

Ironically, as I type this, I see their advertisement to the right of
my screen. Figures...

However, to the point - not all vets are like the bad ones that you
(and I) are stuck going to. I just hope you have more choice for your
animal than I do.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

ok

Dec 8, 2007, 4:13:42 PM12/8/07
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:33:31 +0000 (UTC) from me <m...@me.org>:
>> Being in Tucson I find the vets main concern here is PROFIT above and
>> beyone animal welfare.
>
> If you're trying to convince anybody of anything, the way to do it is
> not by making broad generalizations like this.
>
> Tucson is a big place; it's awfully hard to believe you know the main
> concern" of every vet in the area. So we're left to assume you've had
> a bad experience with one or two, and are tarring all the rest with
> the same brush. That reflects on you, not them.

You have a point. However I called about 20 vets in Tucson. Not ONE
offered to do time payments, nor reduced fee for those on low fixed
income. NOT ONE. Some said, pay upfront. I said, you mean, like a common
prostitute? They have this kickback scam going with some credit card
company where they take all you personal information and issue you a
credit card from some shyster third party company. None of them do pro
bono work that I was told of. Bunch of mercernaries, imnsho.

nope

Dec 8, 2007, 4:19:08 PM12/8/07
"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in

>> For a discussion of the money grubbing tactics
>> of tucson veterinarians...
>>

> Same thing these days with dentists, doctors, air conditioning/heating
> repair people, etc.

Human doctors still sometimes reduce fees for services, and offer
payment plans. But they have the Hippocratic Oath. The vets in Tucson
subscribe to the oath: SHOW ME THE MONEY, FIRST! Air cond. and other
tradesmen are not doctors and someone's health does not necessarily
depend on them. There are not sites on the net, albeit not very good
ones that rate and give consumer reviews for doctors and dentists. We
need such a site for vets so that people know which ones are the most
unprofessional. The horseshit state licensing agencies aren't going to
do anything, nor are the sham professional associations like the AMVA.

yeah

Dec 8, 2007, 4:22:06 PM12/8/07
ok, I know ALL vets are not bad. The vet I had in my home state of MN
would treat an animal regardless of the owners ability to pay. Ditto one
I met in N.M. I never said "ALL", I SAID the vets in Tucson, AZ.

Chuck Whealton <chuck_w...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Anthony Matonak

Dec 8, 2007, 7:50:37 PM12/8/07
ok wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>> Tucson is a big place; it's awfully hard to believe you know the main
>> concern" of every vet in the area.
>
> You have a point. However I called about 20 vets in Tucson. Not ONE
> offered to do time payments, nor reduced fee for those on low fixed
> income. NOT ONE. Some said, pay upfront. I said, you mean, like a common
> prostitute?

Around here (Los Angeles) all the gas stations require payment up front.
I never would have thought to compare the practice with prostitutes even
if one might be called the town pump.

Here is a thought. If someone can't afford to keep an animal, which
includes paying for it's medical care, perhaps they shouldn't keep
one. Perhaps it's more compassionate to take the animal away from
someone who can't care for it properly than to leave it suffering in
bad living conditions.

Anthony

Dec 8, 2007, 8:42:55 PM12/8/07
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>> Tucson is a big place; it's awfully hard to believe you know the main
>> concern" of every vet in the area.
>
> You have a point. However I called about 20 vets in Tucson. Not ONE
> offered to do time payments, nor reduced fee for those on low fixed
> income. NOT ONE. Some said, pay upfront. I said, you mean, like a common
> prostitute?

The vets here will do things like that for someone they have an existing
relationship with, but I think they have had too many new patients walk
to do it with someone they don't already know.

ohyeah

Dec 10, 2007, 8:01:44 PM12/10/07
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
in news:475b481f$0$84212$742e...@news.sonic.net:

> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
>>> Tucson is a big place; it's awfully hard to believe you know the
>>> main concern" of every vet in the area.
>>
>> You have a point. However I called about 20 vets in Tucson. Not ONE
>> offered to do time payments, nor reduced fee for those on low fixed
>> income. NOT ONE. Some said, pay upfront. I said, you mean, like a
>> common prostitute?

see the other posts on this subject, along with a url for a person who
verifies this attitude in his/her webpage. the one in NM did not know
the pet owner and treated the dog anyways. the one in MN I knew, but
that was his policy no matter who it was if the animal was suffering.
Tucson vets just don't care, the 20 or so I contacted. They are pigs
really and have their staff do the dirty work of turning pets down for
treatment or witholding treatment or worse. there are so many vets here,
probably they are so hard up for cash, this is the only way they can
survive. (no offense to the four legged variety).