Using laptop as full time "desktop"?

m...@privacy.net

Mar 11, 2008, 9:59:18 AM3/11/08
My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
laptop.

I don't travel for work..... and even tho I'm a student
find that dragging a full size laptop to school to be a
burden and unnecessary as campus has many desktops
setting around to use anyway.

Having said that... I can still see value in having
laptop to move from room to room..... take on car
trips.... easy to resale on used market via mail order,
etc.

Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop
mode tho:

1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
anyway, is it?

2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
being designed for that?

3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
unplugging it (hassle)?

Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

the_ver...@comcast.net

Mar 11, 2008, 11:47:35 AM3/11/08
On Mar 11, 8:59 am, m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop
> mode tho:
>
> 1.  Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
> anyway, is it?

Most manufacturers now recommed removing the battery when being used
for long periods while connected to 110 vac.

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
> without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
> house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
> that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
> being designed for that?

I have an Acer 5315 that runs pretty much 24/7. I did put a cooling
pad with two fans under it and have had no problems since I bought it
at WalMart in November 2007 ($348 Special!)

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
> day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
> the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
> unplugging it (hassle)?

Since mine runs 24/7 I can't answer this.

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

I treat mine just as a regular computer and except for the cooling pad
give it no special considerations at all.

rick++

Mar 11, 2008, 12:42:59 PM3/11/08
Another issue is ergnomoic.
Some people have neck problems and arm numbness
from looking down all the time.
Some laptops have video ports to drive regular monitors
when you are at a desk.

Just A User

Mar 11, 2008, 1:04:22 PM3/11/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:

I have had both laptops and desktops. I now use a Toshiba laptop. I
don't think I will ever go back to a desktop. I don't need a laptop too
much, but do use it sometimes on car trips and vacations. Try to do that
with a desktop.

I use a laptop cooler.
I power it down when not going to be used for more than a couple of hours.
I unplug it during those times.

My current one is over a year old and I have had no issues with it.

Seerialmom

Mar 11, 2008, 1:06:27 PM3/11/08

1. Some of the newer laptops have a "refresh" option to cycle the
battery (the older laptops had batteries that were similar to the old
cordless phones...that is, they "remember" the battery usage so if you
only use 20 minutes of battery...that's what it'll keep).

2. Well...since I use 2 laptops at work "all day long" (as do most of
my coworkers); so far it's not a big deal. But we do have "docking
stations" that are powered; external monitor is connected to the
docking station and in your case...if you want to save your LCD, I'd
connect an external monitor and use that. Most of the damage these
laptops see is from (l)users who think it's no big deal to "walk and
compute" at the same time...the result being crashed hard drives.

3. Simple answer: no. Even having the brick plugged into the wall but
not plugged into the laptop would draw juice...so how about
simplifying by plugging brick into a power strip and shutting that
off?

Bottom line answer: Laptops typically have default "power saving" and
"system saving" settings for "on battery" vs "on plug", use those as a
guideline and adjust as needed.

But you know...it'd probably be cheaper to just have a couple of
desktops for the price you pay for the lower CPU powered laptops.
Just set up desktop stations in a few rooms in the house :)

Paul M. Eldridge

Mar 11, 2008, 1:17:23 PM3/11/08

Hi Rick,

This is one reason why I continue to use a desktop at home. Once you
plug in an external mouse, keyboard and monitor you're pretty much
back at square one, and since my desktop is a mini-tower that sits on
the floor, it doesn't steal any workspace. Portability is nice, but
that's become less important to me than in the past and I can still
transfer critical work files on a small (and inexpensive) UBS drive or
by way of a network connection.

Besides, I won't ever have to worry about this:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/newsweek-report.html

Cheers,
Paul

ra...@vt.edu

Mar 11, 2008, 1:17:30 PM3/11/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
> anyway, is it?

My work laptop stays plugged in to its docking station
and running on 110V pretty much 24/7 with the battery
in it. No problems in over a year and half. My older
laptop used a wall-wart instead of a dock and I could
remove the battery while in use on the 110V. Didn't
usually do that, but it could be done and should not
hurt anything.

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
> without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
> house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
> that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
> being designed for that?

Power on and power off are harder on the electrical
components than steady state on. Battery in or out
should not make any difference. I don't know what
makes you think the cooling and internals aren't
designed for that. They certainly are.

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
> day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
> the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
> unplugging it (hassle)?

The power brick is a transformer. There will always be
some small current unless it is unplugged. This small
current is negligible if the computer is turned off.
Seriously, you are talking a few cents per year in
electricity costs.

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

This is becoming the standard where I work. Most people
here have a laptop as their primary computer and they stay
plugged in and powered up most of the time.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Anthony Matonak

Mar 12, 2008, 1:21:51 AM3/12/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
> anyway, is it?

Most laptops should work fine without the battery installed.

A proper charging circuit shouldn't ever "cook" the battery
and I know lots of folks who leave their laptop plugged in
99% of the time without problems.

If you do remove the battery then you might want to invest
in a small UPS to handle brownouts and power fluctuations.
You'll also want to remember to recharge the battery every
few weeks to keep it topped up.

Regardless of what you do, all the lithium batteries used
for laptops today are the kind that self destruct in about
3 to 5 years even if they're just sitting on a shelf.

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
> without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
> house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
> that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
> being designed for that?

Who says they aren't designed for that? As the other fellow
said, you can always get a cooling pad to put under it.

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
> day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
> the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
> unplugging it (hassle)?

You can use a power strip with a switch to turn off everything.

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

I've known folks to put their laptop up on a stand and use a
regular keyboard and mouse attached to it.

Anthony

max

Mar 11, 2008, 1:40:43 PM3/11/08
In article <c14dt31tgcb7cii65...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
wrote:

> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
> laptop.

Great idea!

Most of the people where i work (the main control room of the Fermi
particle accelerator) and myself, have ditched desktop units for
laptops, for both work and home. That's a lot of tech-savvy people and a
lot of laptops.

As far as battery stuff: follow mfr. instructions. You do not need to
worry about "cooking" batteries -- that's more of a NiCad problem and
laptops are all hydride-based now.

My laptop, a newer MacBookPro (bought last september), will sit in
standby/sleep mode for many days on a battery charge. I plug in the
charger when i'm near an outlet. Battery life is not an issue.

I DO NOT shut down my mac everyday, neither do my coworkers I put it to
sleep by closing the top -- when i'm ready to use it again, i open the
top and it's ready within 5 seconds. Much faster than rebooting.

One thing i like about my mac is the magsafe power cord -- it doesn't
plug in, it sticks on to the side magnetically, and if i tug on the
cord, it comes off w/o damaging the connector or pulling my computer off
the table.

There's also a bit to be said for being able to use your computer from
your comfy chair at home (like i am right now) or at the library or a
coffee shop or Panera Bread, where you can get *free* -- legitamitely
free, not stolen -- *free* internet access. Because I work very
strange hours, and am often off during the daytime during the week, i
have come to greatly enjoy hanging out at Panera, munching on a bagette
and drinking too much coffee and ...posting here among other things.

I recommend you buy a laptop, get a well padded carry case (ii use a
swiss army knapsack), treat it with a modicum of care. I assure you you
will never want another desktop unit.

You will probably be happier with a lighter one vs. a heavier one. Ask
your friends...

.max

This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

Zuke

Mar 11, 2008, 2:23:31 PM3/11/08
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, max wrote:

> In article <c14dt31tgcb7cii65...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
> wrote:
>
>> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
>> laptop.
>

>Oneike about my mac is the magsafe power cord -- it doesn't

> plug in, it sticks on to the side magnetically, and if i tug on the
> cord, it comes off w/o damaging the connector or pulling my computer off
> the table.

This is the problem with my laptops, they run through power cords
like candy. My daughter has a MAC and I noticed that magnetic
feature. It seemed like a great idea.

Does anybody have any suggestions to keep the power cord from
going on the fritz? Maybe putting some extra tape on it or
something where it goes into the computer?

m...@privacy.net

Mar 11, 2008, 3:42:48 PM3/11/08
"rick++" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have the above problem as well but was thinking I
could use a laptop "stand" to alleviate that. see link

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=189502&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4

m...@privacy.net

Mar 11, 2008, 3:44:37 PM3/11/08
Paul M. Eldridge <paul.e...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>This is one reason why I continue to use a desktop at home. Once you
>plug in an external mouse, keyboard and monitor you're pretty much
>back at square one, and since my desktop is a mini-tower that sits on
>the floor, it doesn't steal any workspace. Portability is nice, but
>that's become less important to me than in the past and I can still
>transfer critical work files on a small (and inexpensive) UBS drive or
>by way of a network connection.

My concerns above as well

I'm thinking abt building a small cheap Shuttle based
desktop

Then using a N810 or PC as cheap mobile device since
they are REALLY small

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2008, 4:02:01 PM3/11/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a laptop.

Hardly anyone does today.

> I don't travel for work..... and even tho I'm a student find that dragging
> a full size laptop to school to be a burden and unnecessary as campus
> has many desktops setting around to use anyway.

The most obvious advantage of that approach is that you take the work
you are working on with you, tho its definitely a nuisance to cart it around.

> Having said that... I can still see value in having laptop to move from room to room.....

Yes, I use mine for that, in addition to two desktop systems, one
thats the PVR and the other is the main PC that I normally use.

> take on car trips....

Yes, thats much more convenient than a desktop system.

> easy to resale on used market via mail order, etc.

They dont have a great resale value tho.

> Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop mode tho:

> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being in unit?

Yes.

> It's best not to "cook" the battery all day long if the laptop
> is plugged in and used as a desktop anyway, is it?

Its not cook so much as the charger may not
treat the battery ideally when its fully charged.

I dont care, I leave the battery in the system all the time
and just unplug it from the power for maximum convenience
around the house for a hour to two and leave the system
charging almost all the time, and accept the fact that that
may reduce the battery life a bit for the convenience.

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and without battery ON all day long?

Yes.

> Say you leave the house for a few hrs..... just leave it on......
> will that be hard on the internals and cooling fan?

Well, the fan will get used more like that, but the rest will be fine.

> not being designed for that?

Plenty are now.

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the day.....
> anyway to stop the phantom current flow form the power brick
> being plugged into the wall versus just unplugging it (hassle)?

I dont care about this power use, but then I
have two desktop PCs on 24/7 as well anyway.

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a laptop
> as a desktop" all day long without causing any damage?

Anything reasonable will be fine.

> and make it convenient as a desktop?

Few find laptop keyboards as convenient to use as a decent separate keyboard if you type much.

I prefer 19" screens too.

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2008, 4:05:10 PM3/11/08

That isnt seen anymore, it was only seen with older NiCad batterys.

> 2. Well...since I use 2 laptops at work "all day long" (as do most of
> my coworkers); so far it's not a big deal. But we do have "docking
> stations" that are powered; external monitor is connected to the
> docking station and in your case...if you want to save your LCD, I'd
> connect an external monitor and use that. Most of the damage these
> laptops see is from (l)users who think it's no big deal to "walk and
> compute" at the same time...the result being crashed hard drives.

> 3. Simple answer: no. Even having the brick plugged into the wall but
> not plugged into the laptop would draw juice...so how about simplifying
> by plugging brick into a power strip and shutting that off?

> Bottom line answer: Laptops typically have default "power saving" and
> "system saving" settings for "on battery" vs "on plug", use those as a
> guideline and adjust as needed.

> But you know...it'd probably be cheaper to just have a couple of
> desktops for the price you pay for the lower CPU powered laptops.
> Just set up desktop stations in a few rooms in the house :)

Not if you go for a low end laptop.

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2008, 4:07:24 PM3/11/08
Zuke <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, max wrote:
>
>> In article <c14dt31tgcb7cii65...@4ax.com>,
>> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
>>> laptop.
>>

>> Oneike about my mac is the magsafe power cord -- it doesn't
>> plug in, it sticks on to the side magnetically, and if i tug on the
>> cord, it comes off w/o damaging the connector or pulling my computer
>> off the table.
>>

> This is the problem with my laptops, they run through power cords
> like candy. My daughter has a MAC and I noticed that magnetic
> feature. It seemed like a great idea.

> Does anybody have any suggestions to keep the power cord from going on the fritz?

Dont yank the cord out by holding onto the cord itself, hold onto the connector instead.

> Maybe putting some extra tape on it or something where it goes into the computer?

Not necessary if you dont yank it out by pulling on the cord.

barbie gee

Mar 11, 2008, 5:00:19 PM3/11/08

If you get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, then you're only plugging in a
monitor. Or you could go with a docking station, and have the best of
both worlds.

Lou

Mar 11, 2008, 8:55:17 PM3/11/08

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
> laptop.
>
> I don't travel for work..... and even tho I'm a student
> find that dragging a full size laptop to school to be a
> burden and unnecessary as campus has many desktops
> setting around to use anyway.
>
> Having said that... I can still see value in having
> laptop to move from room to room..... take on car
> trips.... easy to resale on used market via mail order,
> etc.
>
> Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop
> mode tho:

I've had a laptop (supplied by the company) for the last few years, and
here's what I've done:

> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
> anyway, is it?

Never ran it without the battery in it. The thing would be plugged in all
day at the office, sometimes all weekend at home, never had any hint of a
problem. Couple of times, when the power "blinked" the battery acted as an
UPS and I didn't lose any work. Leave the battery in.

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
> without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
> house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
> that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
> being designed for that?

See above - never had any problem.

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
> day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
> the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
> unplugging it (hassle)?

You find pulling a plug a hassle? No wonder you don't want to carry a
laptop around. But the thing shouldn't be plugged into a wall anyway - you
should have a power strip thing that will protect the machine from surges.
Can you exert yourself enough to press a button or rocker switch twice a
day, once to turn it on, once to turn it off?

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

It's a computer. The biggest conveniences of the typical desktop machine
are the large monitor, full size keyboard, and mouse. You can still use
these with a laptop, but if you're reluctant to go to the trouble of pulling
a plug, I'd suggest getting a docking station. The biggest convenience of a
laptop is the portability, there's no way a desktop can compare. With
either machine, I wouldn't count much on resale - a machine a year or two
old is out of date and a good deal (most?) of it's value has vanished.

Lou

Mar 11, 2008, 9:00:07 PM3/11/08

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I've tried various stands in the past (though not the one you've linked
above). They don't work, for me anyway. That is, the hold the machine as
advertised, but the overall ergonomics aren't any better, may be worse. How
often do you type with your hands at chin level, or on an extremely tilted
keyboard?

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2008, 11:14:15 PM3/11/08

Those who use them mostly use a proper keyboard as well.

John Weiss

Mar 12, 2008, 2:29:11 PM3/12/08
<m...@privacy.net> wrote...

> Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop
> mode tho:
>
> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
> anyway, is it?

Once the battery is charged, the power supply regulates the charge so it doesn't
"cook" any more. Technology has evolved significantly in the past 10 years.

SOME laptops will run without a battery installed. However, that will severely
limit your moving it around...

> 2. Is it Ok to leave a laptop plugged into 110 vac and
> without battery ON all day long? Say you leave the
> house for a few hrs..... just leave it on...... will
> that be hard on the internals and cooling fan? not
> being designed for that?

It's designed for that. My old HP has been running continuously for 3 years,
after an initial 3 years of intermittent travel and full-time running. Since
the second battery no longer takes a good charge, I leave the battery out most
of the time now. My 3-year-old IBM runs continuously when I'm home or in a
hotel.

> 3. When shutting the laptop down at the end of the
> day..... anyway to stop the phantom current flow form
> the power brick being plugged into the wall versus just
> unplugging it (hassle)?

A VERY minor consideration... You can unplug it from the laptop, and the brick
MIGHT use a miniscule amount of power, depending on design.

> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?

Get a good laptop. A cheapo may not have sufficient cooling for long life and
continuous use. Find one with a top-end mobile Core2Duo CPU, sufficient (1.5 -
2 GB) RAM, and discrete ATI or nVidia mobile graphics.

Have a wireless router (and enable WPA encryption) so you have Internet access
all the time, and you don't have to unplug a cable to move it.

Get a wireless (Bluetooth?) keyboard and mouse, so you have the full-size
versions to use when at the desktop.

Refine the power management schemes for desktop and mobile (on battery) use, to
suit your usage. Using less than full CPU power and monitor brightness when
mobile will reduce heat and increase battery life.

Otherwise, just use it!

m...@privacy.net

Mar 12, 2008, 4:04:41 PM3/12/08
"rick++" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I will be using STAND up desk for all my computing
soon. Setting down is bad for you

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2008, 4:17:58 PM3/12/08

Fark.

> Setting down is bad for you

So is standing up all the time.

m...@privacy.net

Mar 12, 2008, 4:28:51 PM3/12/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I will be using STAND up desk for all my computing soon.
>
>Fark.
>
>> Setting down is bad for you
>
>So is standing up all the time.

Ha

Well if I do set down it will be in a front room chair!

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2008, 4:44:01 PM3/12/08
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> m...@privacy.net wrote

>>> I will be using STAND up desk for all my computing soon.

>> Fark.

>>> Setting down is bad for you

>> So is standing up all the time.

> Ha

I was serious. It can be a problem for those who have to stand for their work etc.

> Well if I do set down it will be in a front room chair!

I compute from mine, dont use a normal desk etc.

Warren Block

Mar 12, 2008, 6:24:48 PM3/12/08
John Weiss <jrweiss98...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
><m...@privacy.net> wrote...
>>
>> Some questions abt using a laptop in full time desktop
>> mode tho:
>>
>> 1. Can a laptop run on 110 vac without battery being
>> in unit? It's best not to "cook" the battery all day
>> long if the laptop is plugged in and used as a desktop
>> anyway, is it?
>
> Once the battery is charged, the power supply regulates the charge so it doesn't
> "cook" any more. Technology has evolved significantly in the past 10 years.

But the heat generated by the computer continues to degrade the battery.
After a year or so, people are often surprised that the battery they've
"never used" doesn't hold much of a charge any more.

> SOME laptops will run without a battery installed. However, that will severely
> limit your moving it around...

But if you're using it as a desktop, why move it?

>> Bottom line.... what habits are worthwhile to use a
>> laptop as a desktop" all day long without causing any
>> damage? and make it convenient as a desktop?
>
> Get a good laptop. A cheapo may not have sufficient cooling for long life and
> continuous use. Find one with a top-end mobile Core2Duo CPU, sufficient (1.5 -
> 2 GB) RAM, and discrete ATI or nVidia mobile graphics.

All of which have a sizable cost premium over desktop components.

Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off
with a desktop. Notebooks make many compromises to be portable, which
make them more fragile and more expensive than a desktop.

Anthony Matonak

Mar 13, 2008, 12:53:38 PM3/13/08
Warren Block wrote:
> John Weiss <jrweiss98...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>> <m...@privacy.net> wrote...
>>>
>> Once the battery is charged, the power supply regulates the charge so it doesn't
>> "cook" any more.
>
> But the heat generated by the computer continues to degrade the battery.
> After a year or so, people are often surprised that the battery they've
> "never used" doesn't hold much of a charge any more.

Current style Lithium batteries self destruct all on their own.
If I recall correctly, they lose something like 20% of their
capacity every year. After two or three years they are toast
even if you've really never used them.

There are some new versions on the market, currently only used
in power tools, that don't self destruct like this but I don't
think they've made it to laptops yet.

> Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off
> with a desktop. Notebooks make many compromises to be portable, which
> make them more fragile and more expensive than a desktop.

What if you already own the laptop? Why buy a desktop when the
computer you already have can do the job?

Anthony

Warren Block

Mar 13, 2008, 1:12:04 PM3/13/08
Anthony Matonak <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
>
>> Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off
>> with a desktop. Notebooks make many compromises to be portable, which
>> make them more fragile and more expensive than a desktop.
>
> What if you already own the laptop?

I thought the question was about buying a laptop to use as a desktop.

> Why buy a desktop when the computer you already have can do the job?

Reusing a laptop as a desktop is an alternative, although if you have to
add much in the way of peripherals a real desktop can quickly become
cost-effective.

m...@privacy.net

Mar 13, 2008, 3:09:39 PM3/13/08
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

>Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off
>with a desktop.

I agree with the above but I think what turns most
people off including myself from using desktops is that
they are so bulky and so many wires!

If someone would come out with a sleek small desktop
unit with built in TV tuner they'd have a winner I
think.

What you think?

m...@privacy.net

Mar 13, 2008, 3:10:34 PM3/13/08
wrote:

>What if you already own the laptop? Why buy a desktop when the
>computer you already have can do the job?

The question was directed at someone who didn't own ANY
computer and was trying to decide what to buy

Rod Speed

Mar 13, 2008, 3:30:07 PM3/13/08
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote

>> Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off with a desktop.

> I agree with the above but I think what turns most people off including
> myself from using desktops is that they are so bulky and so many wires!

What turns many off using laptops all the time is the rather
crummy keyboards and the inevitable cost of batterys.

> If someone would come out with a sleek small desktop
> unit with built in TV tuner they'd have a winner I think.

> What you think?

That most want a much bigger screen than that today.

And if you add a decent monitor and keyboard, there goes most of the advantage of the laptop.

Warren Block

Mar 13, 2008, 6:10:48 PM3/13/08
m...@privacy.net <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>>Unless you really need the portability of a notebook, you're better off
>>with a desktop.
>
> I agree with the above but I think what turns most
> people off including myself from using desktops is that
> they are so bulky and so many wires!

Bulky? Put the computer on the floor and only the
monitor/keyboard/mouse take any desk space. Or look at the small form
factor types, although they have some laptop-type tradeoffs.

The laptop does away with most of the wires at the cost of not being
able to position things where they're the most comfortable. You can add
those external peripherals, but then you've got the disadvantages of
both desktop and laptop.

(You can go with wireless keyboard and mouse. Cheap Logitech ones are
okay at short range, more expensive Bluetooth versions are much better
if you're more than a few feet from the computer.)

> If someone would come out with a sleek small desktop unit with built
> in TV tuner they'd have a winner I think.
>
> What you think?

I thought Apple had something like that, but can't find anything on
their web page. Dell has this:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_one?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

The price is steep: $1299. If it were me, I'd get one of the $450
lower-end systems (including monitor) and add a $100 DVR card.

max

Mar 13, 2008, 6:27:36 PM3/13/08
In article <slrnftj9j8....@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> The laptop does away with most of the wires at the cost of not being
> able to position things where they're the most comfortable.

this is manifestly not true. Your statement assumes much. I can use my
macbook very effectively from my semi-reclined comfy chair just fine,
and i am far more comfortable than at any ergonomic workstation or
console or desk that i've ever used. YMMV, depending on how much paper
handling you need to do, but if you don't need to handle paper much,
it's superior.

There is no law that says you need to use your laptop at your kitchen
table or wherever. Try different places.

> You can add
> those external peripherals, but then you've got the disadvantages of
> both desktop and laptop.

In a great many instances those peripherals are unused most of the time.
I've asked around and that's the consensus at work. For me, most of the
time means i use those things less than once a month; complaining about
peripherals with a laptop is not necessarily on the mark.

.max

Warren Block

Mar 13, 2008, 7:07:36 PM3/13/08
max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article <slrnftj9j8....@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> The laptop does away with most of the wires at the cost of not being
>> able to position things where they're the most comfortable.
>
> this is manifestly not true. Your statement assumes much. I can use my
> macbook very effectively from my semi-reclined comfy chair just fine,
> and i am far more comfortable than at any ergonomic workstation or
> console or desk that i've ever used.

Your statement assumes that what works for you works for everyone.
Different people may want the display higher, or farther away, and that
just isn't possible on the average notebook.

> YMMV, depending on how much paper
> handling you need to do, but if you don't need to handle paper much,
> it's superior.
>
> There is no law that says you need to use your laptop at your kitchen
> table or wherever. Try different places.

Or just get a computer that works where you want it. It should adjust
to your comfort, not the other way around.

>> You can add
>> those external peripherals, but then you've got the disadvantages of
>> both desktop and laptop.
>
> In a great many instances those peripherals are unused most of the time.

Agreed.

> I've asked around and that's the consensus at work. For me, most of the
> time means i use those things less than once a month; complaining about
> peripherals with a laptop is not necessarily on the mark.

But they were suggested earlier as a way to make the laptop more
comfortable.

Let me sum up my opinion, because I don't really want to prolong this
much more:

If you need portability, buy a laptop. Otherwise, desktops are tougher,
easier to expand, nicer to use, and cheaper.

max

Mar 14, 2008, 3:59:12 AM3/14/08
In article <slrnftjcto....@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > In article <slrnftj9j8....@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> > Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The laptop does away with most of the wires at the cost of not being
> >> able to position things where they're the most comfortable.
> >
> > this is manifestly not true. Your statement assumes much. I can use my
> > macbook very effectively from my semi-reclined comfy chair just fine,
> > and i am far more comfortable than at any ergonomic workstation or
> > console or desk that i've ever used.
>
> Your statement assumes that what works for you works for everyone.

absolutely, perfectly and completely wrong. i wrongly assumed that "i
can use my" made clear that i was simply speaking for myself as a
counterexample. Clearly i should have included the verbose ymmv.

Message has been deleted

m...@privacy.net

Mar 14, 2008, 12:28:27 PM3/14/08
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

>Bulky? Put the computer on the floor and only the
>monitor/keyboard/mouse take any desk space. Or look at the small form
>factor types, although they have some laptop-type tradeoffs.

Agree. The small form factor usually wont take a full
size TV tuner card tho.... and that limits the cards
available for that purpose

>The laptop does away with most of the wires at the cost of not being
>able to position things where they're the most comfortable.

VERY good point!! Good thinking.... thanks you are
right!

m...@privacy.net

Mar 14, 2008, 12:34:02 PM3/14/08
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> Dell has this:
>
>http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_one?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>The price is steep: $1299. If it were me, I'd get one of the $450
>lower-end systems (including monitor) and add a $100 DVR card.

Yeah I was looking at one at Staples the other day.

NICE units.... but many drawbacks that I can see....
propriety keyboard, costly, etc

m...@privacy.net

Mar 14, 2008, 12:34:55 PM3/14/08
max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>this is manifestly not true. Your statement assumes much. I can use my
>macbook very effectively from my semi-reclined comfy chair just fine,
>and i am far more comfortable than at any ergonomic workstation or
>console or desk that i've ever used.

why not have BOTH desktop and cheap ultra portable
laptop such as eePC tho? best of both worlds and less
money overall

Jeff

Mar 14, 2008, 12:55:17 PM3/14/08
Zuke wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, max wrote:
>
>> In article <c14dt31tgcb7cii65...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My computer usage is such that I really do not NEED a
>>> laptop.
>>

>> Oneike about my mac is the magsafe power cord -- it doesn't
>> plug in, it sticks on to the side magnetically, and if i tug on the
>> cord, it comes off w/o damaging the connector or pulling my computer off
>> the table.
>>

> This is the problem with my laptops, they run through power cords
> like candy. My daughter has a MAC and I noticed that magnetic
> feature. It seemed like a great idea.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions to keep the power cord from
> going on the fritz? Maybe putting some extra tape on it or

> something where it goes into the computer?

The trouble with plugs is that you have to pull them straight out.
What they used to do on motorcycles with headsets is have a short cord
to plug into. Maybe you can find or make one (an extension), and anchor
the laptop end to the laptop.

If you forget to unplug, the cord will straighten and pull apart
easily. At least you'll never damage the laptop.

Jeff

Jeff

Mar 14, 2008, 1:04:36 PM3/14/08

Well you can buy micro case desktops, but they have a considerably
premium over a regular desktop.

Now, as far as the TV tuners, they are here. I have one ($9) plugged
into a USB port (it plugs right and the the antenna plugs into that).
You need a fast computer though for all the HDTV modes...

What I did was trade my old monitor for an LCD. I have the monitor on
a table on a long cord and have a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Works for me. But I can't take it with me to get a Latte at Starbucks.

Jeff

> What you think?

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2008, 2:04:58 PM3/14/08
m...@privacy.net wrote
> max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote

Thats essentially what I do, tho I have a low end laptop instead of
the eePC, for very little extra cost wise and much more capability.

I may get an eePC as well for ebook reading, particularly out of the house.

Dennis

Mar 14, 2008, 2:15:09 PM3/14/08

I recently built a PVR out of one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057

To this I added CPU, RAM and hard drive (all bought on sale), plus a
DVD drive, tuner cards and software that I already had. It makes a
pretty compact, quiet PVR. I can record two HD channels and one SD
feed (from a satellite receiver) simultaneously, as well as watch a
video or surf the internet at the same time.

It has onboard video with VGA, DVI and TV outputs, gigabit LAN and HD
audio. There does seem to be a problem with the DVI output -- it
doesn't work with all displays/TVs, but otherwise, video quality is
great.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

m...@privacy.net

Mar 14, 2008, 2:36:19 PM3/14/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I may get an eePC as well for ebook reading, particularly out of the house.

They have a Windows version coming out very soon

m...@privacy.net

Mar 14, 2008, 2:37:35 PM3/14/08
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I recently built a PVR out of one of these:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110057

Did it take a full size TV tuner card?

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2008, 5:36:14 PM3/14/08

I can do it now, but the linux version would be fine for ebook reading.

Dennis

Mar 14, 2008, 11:02:17 PM3/14/08

I have a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and an Avermedia A180, both full-size PCI
tuner cards, installed in it. The Hauppauge card is slightly larger
than most PCI cards and it took some minor massaging of the chassis to
get it to fit, but it is in and working fine now.

There are only two PCI slots available. If I didn't already have the
two PCI tuner cards, I would probably look at an external tuner like
the HDHomerun. It connects via ethernet.

BTW, I resolved my DVI problem today -- all it took was a $0.20
resistor and a soldering iron, and it's up and running. Woo hoo!