protecting books and papers in storage

john westmore_______

Jul 9, 2008, 12:17:15 PM7/9/08
I want to store some papers and some books in the house roof space and also
the garden shed. Being in the U.K. both places can get a bit damp.

So I thought I would wrap well in a plastic bag to keep out the damp, and
then put aluminium cooking foil around them (i'm told this would stop any
mice
chewing into it).

Are these these the best things to do? Thanks for any advice.

RicodJour

Jul 9, 2008, 12:26:05 PM7/9/08
On Jul 9, 12:17 pm, "john westmore_______" <blues...@mail.invalid>
wrote:

Use one of those vacuum clothes storage bags. Throw in some silica
gel desiccant bags for good measure. Then do whatever you need to do
to keep the critters away.

Palindrome

Jul 9, 2008, 12:30:23 PM7/9/08
I use bags meant for storage, of the type where you suck out the air
with a vacuum cleaner. Works a treat. Easy to open, take something out
and reseal in a jiffy.

I doubt that cooking foil works, having seen some of the things they
will chew their way through, if it suits them.

--
Sue

Bert Hyman

Jul 9, 2008, 12:31:43 PM7/9/08
blue...@mail.invalid (john westmore_______) wrote in

> I want to store some papers and some books in the house roof space
> and also the garden shed. Being in the U.K. both places can get a
> bit damp.
>
> So I thought I would wrap well in a plastic bag to keep out the
> damp, and then put aluminium cooking foil around them (i'm told this
> would stop any mice chewing into it).

Many plastics contain chemicals which are destructive of papers over
the long term, and mice chew through walls.

> Are these these the best things to do? Thanks for any advice.

Your local or regional historical society will likely have all sorts of
information and resources for preserving your documents.

For example, the Minnesota Historical Society has a number of papers on
the subject, available here:

http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/bookspaper.html

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | be...@iphouse.com

Tim Smith

Jul 9, 2008, 8:31:48 PM7/9/08
In article <Xns9AD67547CB7...@127.0.0.1>,

Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> blue...@mail.invalid (john westmore_______) wrote in
>
> > I want to store some papers and some books in the house roof space
> > and also the garden shed. Being in the U.K. both places can get a
> > bit damp.
> >
> > So I thought I would wrap well in a plastic bag to keep out the
> > damp, and then put aluminium cooking foil around them (i'm told this
> > would stop any mice chewing into it).
>
> Many plastics contain chemicals which are destructive of papers over
> the long term, and mice chew through walls.
>
> > Are these these the best things to do? Thanks for any advice.
>
> Your local or regional historical society will likely have all sorts of
> information and resources for preserving your documents.

Another place that might be useful is your local comic book store.
Comic collectors are greatly interested in preserving their collections,
and a good comic store should have bags available that won't contain
chemicals that will damage paper.

--
--Tim Smith