Senate Housing Bill Requires eBay, Amazon, Google, and All Credit Card Companies to Report Transactions to the Government

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jun 19, 2008, 5:58:07 PM6/19/08
http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571

--
----------------------
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice
cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide
everything." -- Josef V. Stalin

www.myspace.com/bodybuildinggranny

heavy on the country music. if you don't like country, scroll down for
some surprises.

nospam

Jun 19, 2008, 9:23:18 PM6/19/08
Chris Dodd wrote this language.

Dick Armey opposes it.

Do the math, and find out the real reason Republicans are trying to
block this housing bill.

Shawn Hirn

Jun 19, 2008, 10:59:51 PM6/19/08
In article <PDA6k.2853$ul.2221@trndny08>,
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571

The odds of this bill being passed with that provision in it are even
smaller than that provision ever passing constitutional muster.

Jack Bauer

Jun 20, 2008, 3:44:03 AM6/20/08
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571

FreedomWorks appears to a bit right wing. Here's one of their positions
statements:

4. A healthy environment can not exist without a healthy economy.

Excuse me! Didn't the Earth have a healthy environment before humans
came along?

Dennis

Jun 20, 2008, 12:43:22 PM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:44:03 -0700, Jack Bauer <j...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>FreedomWorks appears to a bit right wing. Here's one of their positions
>statements:
>
>4. A healthy environment can not exist without a healthy economy.
>
>Excuse me! Didn't the Earth have a healthy environment before humans
>came along?

Ask the dinosaurs. Oh wait...

Dennis (evil)

JonL

Jun 22, 2008, 1:02:09 PM6/22/08
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571

No surprise that the corporate slut-puppy , Senator Dodd, is behind this.
(this clown greased the path for Arthur Anderson to do consulting work
at the same companies they're supposed to be auditing)

Oh, it's that great Patriot, Dick Armey:

“My number one priority in foreign policy is to protect Israel.”
-Former House Speaker Richard Armey

ps: I instinctively raise my antenna when I see an org with terms such
as Freedom, Democracy, Peace, Aid.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 1:12:23 PM6/22/08
In news:485E8591...@Mayday.com JonL <Jo...@Mayday.com> wrote:

> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>> http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571
>>
> No surprise that the corporate slut-puppy , Senator Dodd, is behind
> this. (this clown greased the path for Arthur Anderson to do
> consulting work at the same companies they're supposed to be auditing)
>

> Oh, it's that great Patriot, Dick Armey:

So, you have a problem with Dodd, who "is behind this", but also with
Armey, who's exposing it?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 3:17:52 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC57C2B513...@216.250.184.7...

This is SOP for the minority party in Congress: this housing bill provides up
to $300B in federal insurance to help homeowners refinance troubled
mortgages. This is why Armey and Bush are trying to kill the bill.

From: http://forum.brokeroutpost.com/loans/forum/2/222248.htm:

The average U.S. home price fell 12.5% between the second quarter of 2006
and the first quarter of 2008, according to Fiserv Inc.'s Case-Shiller Home
Price Index and Moody's Economy.com. Prices are projected to fall another
12.5% by the second quarter of 2009, before they rise again, Economy.com
forecasts.

As interest rates on some mortgages rise, many homeowners are unable to
make their payments or refinance into cheaper loans. An estimated 2.5 million
Americans are expected to lose their homes between this year and next, more
than twice the pace during normal times, according to Economy.com.

FreedomWorks officials say the current housing bill is just the beginning of
what could be an onslaught of election-year bailout legislation. FreedomWorks
puts its copyright on AngryRenter.com and discloses on the back pages that it
is the source of the effort. The site is nonetheless designed to look underdoggy
and grass-rootsy, with a heavy dose of aw-shucks innocence.

FreedomWorks and its affiliated foundation took in $10.5 million in revenue
in 2006, the last year for which filing data are available. Much of the income
came from large donors the group declines to identify. A spokesman
described the secrecy as "standard D.C. practice."

FreedomWorks President Matthew Kibbe, a former top aide to a Republican
lawmaker, says the site is an effort to "reach out" to renters who share the
free-market views of Messrs. Armey, Forbes and others.

Mr. Forbes -- the chairman and chief executive of Forbes, a former Republican
presidential candidate and an unpaid FreedomWorks board member -- owns a
7,966-square-foot house on 9.5 acres in Bedminster, N.J., assessed by county
tax authorities at $2.78 million. He owns 111.8 more acres next door, registered
as farmland and assessed for tax purposes at $45,500. The county lists at least
half a dozen other Forbes properties in the area. The Forbes family has sold off
its private island in Fiji and palace in Morocco, but still owns a château in France.

Mr. Forbes didn't respond to repeated interview requests through his
spokeswoman.

Mr. Armey, FreedomWorks's chairman, left Congress in 2003 and now lobbies
his former colleagues as a senior policy adviser at DLA Piper, an international law
and lobbying firm. He earns $100,833 a year for four hours a week working for
FreedomWorks Inc., the organization's advocacy arm, and an additional $403,333
for 32 hours a week working for FreedomWorks Foundation, its tax-deductible,
educational wing, according to federal tax filings.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 3:39:38 PM6/22/08
In news:YcSdnWRsYsZhOcPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
<nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> This is SOP for the minority party in Congress: this housing bill
> provides up to $300B in federal insurance to help homeowners refinance
> troubled mortgages.

Why should people who borrowed more than they can pay back be bailed out
at the taxpayer's expense?

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 4:28:08 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC59522E31...@216.250.184.7...

> In news:YcSdnWRsYsZhOcPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
> <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:
>
> > This is SOP for the minority party in Congress: this housing bill
> > provides up to $300B in federal insurance to help homeowners refinance
> > troubled mortgages.
>
> Why should people who borrowed more than they can pay back be bailed out
> at the taxpayer's expense?

I had the same question for Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines
etc etc.

About time we paid ourselves.

You know, if I were king I'd immediately print $1,000,000 for
every American citizen over the age of 18. Pay off all your debts,
live the way you choose to live etc. Our currency would STILL
be the most prized in the world.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 4:34:23 PM6/22/08

Nope, thats been tried and it doesnt produce that result.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 4:55:50 PM6/22/08
In news:ZoudnR_6RMvuKMPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
<nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> "Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message
>> In news:YcSdnWRsYsZhOcPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
>> <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:
>>
>> > This is SOP for the minority party in Congress: this housing bill
>> > provides up to $300B in federal insurance to help homeowners
>> > refinance troubled mortgages.
>>
>> Why should people who borrowed more than they can pay back be bailed
>> out at the taxpayer's expense?
>
> I had the same question for Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines
> etc etc.

So, you liked it so much, you thought we should do it again?

> About time we paid ourselves.

With money stolen from your more thoughtful neighbors.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 4:59:54 PM6/22/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6c7raiF...@mid.individual.net...

When has it been tried in the U.S., and what result did it produce?

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:01:09 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC5A20E3E7...@216.250.184.7...

> In news:ZoudnR_6RMvuKMPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
> <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:
>
> > "Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

> >> Why should people who borrowed more than they can pay back be bailed
> >> out at the taxpayer's expense?
> >
> > I had the same question for Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines
> > etc etc.
>
> So, you liked it so much, you thought we should do it again?

Yes.

> > About time we paid ourselves.
>
> With money stolen from your more thoughtful neighbors.

The banks --and the government who deregulated the industry --
are to blame for this mess. Not consumers. If you hold out a
dollar for people to take, don't turn around and blame them for
taking it.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:03:49 PM6/22/08
nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
>>> Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote

>>> I had the same question for Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines etc etc.

>>> About time we paid ourselves.

>>> You know, if I were king I'd immediately print $1,000,000 for
>>> every American citizen over the age of 18. Pay off all your debts,
>>> live the way you choose to live etc. Our currency would STILL
>>> be the most prized in the world.

>> Nope, thats been tried and it doesnt produce that result.

> When has it been tried in the U.S.,

Never said it had been.

> and what result did it produce?

The countrys that tried that didnt even up with the most prized in the world for some odd reason.

And the USD isnt the most prized in the world anymore even without that terminal stupidity.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:08:15 PM6/22/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6c7t1nF...@mid.individual.net...

> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
> >> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote

> >> Nope, thats been tried and it doesnt produce that result.
>
> > When has it been tried in the U.S.,
>
> Never said it had been.

Thanks for admitting your straw man.

> And the USD isnt the most prized in the world anymore even without that terminal stupidity.

Actually it is, if you knew what the hell you were talking about.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 5:08:03 PM6/22/08
In news:WM-dnYKbs-atIMPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
<nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> The banks --and the government who deregulated the industry --
> are to blame for this mess. Not consumers.

That's funny.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 5:09:07 PM6/22/08

> If you hold out a dollar for people to take,

We're talking about loans, not gifts.

> don't turn around and blame them for taking it.

I only blame them for not paying it back, as agreed to.

In addition to having no common sense, do you have no honor?

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:12:59 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC5A44E866...@216.250.184.7...

> In news:WM-dnYKbs-atIMPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
> <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:
>
> > If you hold out a dollar for people to take,
>
> We're talking about loans, not gifts.

Same principle. It was and is the bank's responsibility to lend
responsibly.

> > don't turn around and blame them for taking it.
> >

> I only blame them for not paying it back, as agreed to.
>
> In addition to having no common sense, do you have no honor?

An appropriate question for banks.

krw

Jun 22, 2008, 5:15:23 PM6/22/08
In article <WM-dnYKbs-atIMPV...@comcast.com>,
nos...@comcast.invalid.net says...

I don't. I do blame them for whining about not being able to afford
that "free dollar" later.

--
Keith

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:16:15 PM6/22/08
nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

So the economy doesnt end up with another great depression.

>>> When has it been tried in the U.S.,

>> Never said it had been.

> Thanks for admitting your straw man.

You wouldnt know what a straw man was if one bit you on your lard arse.

>> And the USD isnt the most prized in the world anymore even without that terminal stupidity.

> Actually it is,

Actually, it aint.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:19:55 PM6/22/08
"krw" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message news:MPG.22c88af91...@news.individual.net...

No one said anything about "free" dollars. It was and is the bank's
responsibility to lend responsibly. Period. End of story.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:19:54 PM6/22/08
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote
> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote

>> If you hold out a dollar for people to take,

> We're talking about loans, not gifts.

It aint that black and white when the interest rate is derisory.

>> don't turn around and blame them for taking it.

> I only blame them for not paying it back, as agreed to.

Most of them assumed they could refinance at the same derisory rates
when the interest rate was due to go thru the roof. Stupid assumption, but
thats what so many of the spivs and con men pushing the loans claimed.

> In addition to having no common sense, do you have no honor?

The banks clearly didnt have anything like that to lend to those in the first place.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 5:38:31 PM6/22/08
In news:6c7tvtF...@mid.individual.net "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote
>> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
>
>>> If you hold out a dollar for people to take,
>
>> We're talking about loans, not gifts.
>
> It aint that black and white when the interest rate is derisory.

I really doubt that any lenders were openly mocking their customers with
an offer of a loan.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:46:33 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC5A94B054...@216.250.184.7...

Bert, millions of defaults prove otherwise. The bottom line is, these
loans were made to people who couldn't afford them. And to blame
simple human nature (i.e. you offer something, I accept it) is beyond
absurd.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 5:48:24 PM6/22/08
In news:etGdnft3ltpOWsPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
<nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> And to blame simple human nature (i.e. you offer something, I accept
> it) is beyond absurd.

Really? Why do you want to be treated as a child?

Are you a child? Are you incompetent?

In what other areas of your life are you incapable of acting
effectively?

Should you and your sort simply be institutionalized?

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:49:28 PM6/22/08
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote
>>> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote

>>> We're talking about loans, not gifts.

>> It aint that black and white when the interest rate is derisory.

> I really doubt that any lenders were openly mocking their customers with an offer of a loan.

No one said they were. Its the INTEREST RATE thats derisory, stupid.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 5:57:03 PM6/22/08
"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message news:Xns9AC5AAF7313...@216.250.184.7...

> In news:etGdnft3ltpOWsPV...@comcast.com "nospam"
> <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:
>
> > And to blame simple human nature (i.e. you offer something, I accept
> > it) is beyond absurd.
> >

> Really? Why do you want to be treated as a child?
>
> Are you a child? Are you incompetent?
>
> In what other areas of your life are you incapable of acting
> effectively?
>
> Should you and your sort simply be institutionalized?

If Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines etc are worthy of "investment",
the American people certainly are. Banks and supply siders are
doing everything they can to disavow responsiblity for this mess,
but the responsibility is squarely on their heads -- and nobody else's.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:56:38 PM6/22/08
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote
> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote

>> The bottom line is, these loans were made to people who
>> couldn't afford them. And to blame simple human nature

>> (i.e. you offer something, I accept it) is beyond absurd.

> Really?

Yep.

> Why do you want to be treated as a child?

He doesnt.

> Are you a child? Are you incompetent?

Plenty are vulnerable to spivs and con men that tell them that they will be
able to refinance at the same derisory interest rates when the interest
rate is about to go thru the roof when the spivs and con men are only
interested in securitizing the loans so they can get stinking rich on the
commissions and dont have to worry about what happens if the market
tanks and the suckers get stuck with the original loan and cant refinance
it before the interest rate goes thru the roof.

> In what other areas of your life are you incapable of acting effectively?

He didnt say he has one of those loans himself.

> Should you and your sort simply be institutionalized?

You'd be howling about the cost of the taxes required to pay for that if they were.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 5:58:24 PM6/22/08
nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
> Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote
>> nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote

>>> And to blame simple human nature (i.e. you offer something, I accept it) is beyond absurd.

>> Really? Why do you want to be treated as a child?

>> Are you a child? Are you incompetent?

>> In what other areas of your life are you incapable of acting effectively?

>> Should you and your sort simply be institutionalized?

> If Chrysler, the S&L industry, airlines etc are worthy of "investment",
> the American people certainly are. Banks and supply siders are
> doing everything they can to disavow responsiblity for this mess,
> but the responsibility is squarely on their heads -- and nobody else's.

Its that sort of mentality that produced the great depression.

Bert Hyman

Jun 22, 2008, 5:59:21 PM6/22/08
In news:V7mdnUVgA_PXV8PV...@comcast.com "nospam"
<nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> Banks and supply siders are doing everything they can to disavow
> responsiblity for this mess, but the responsibility is squarely on
> their heads -- and nobody else's.

OK; you're a child.

Good luck.

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 6:06:50 PM6/22/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6c8082F...@mid.individual.net...

It was a lack of regulation that caused it, little else.

Rod Speed

Jun 22, 2008, 6:17:07 PM6/22/08
nospam <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Wrong.

krw

Jun 22, 2008, 6:28:08 PM6/22/08
In article <182dnY-Pd-oIXMPV...@comcast.com>,
nos...@comcast.invalid.net says...

Actually, you did.

> It was and is the bank's
> responsibility to lend responsibly. Period. End of story.

It is also the borrower's responsibility to borrow responsibly. If
neither is responsible they both get what's coming to them. That's
how grownups operate.

--
Keith

nospam

Jun 22, 2008, 8:40:38 PM6/22/08
"krw" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message news:MPG.22c89c061...@news.individual.net...
> > It was and is the bank's
> > responsibility to lend responsibly. Period. End of story.
> >
> It is also the borrower's responsibility to borrow responsibly.

Utter nonsense. People have always tried and will always try to qualify
for the best house they can get. It's the bank's job to properly qualify
these home loan applications. The breakdown in this case occurred in
the latter half of that equation, not the former.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 22, 2008, 9:59:45 PM6/22/08
nospam wrote:
>>> It was and is the bank's
>>> responsibility to lend responsibly. Period. End of story.
>>>
>> It is also the borrower's responsibility to borrow responsibly.
>
> Utter nonsense. People have always tried and will always try to qualify
> for the best house they can get. It's the bank's job to properly qualify
> these home loan applications. The breakdown in this case occurred in
> the latter half of that equation, not the former.

But the bank did not sit down and twist the borrower's arm behind his
back to force him to sign, and the borrower even has three days after
the signing to rescind it.

Mark Anderson

Jun 22, 2008, 10:08:31 PM6/22/08
In article nos...@comcast.invalid.net says...

> You know, if I were king I'd immediately print $1,000,000 for
> every American citizen over the age of 18. Pay off all your debts,
> live the way you choose to live etc. Our currency would STILL
> be the most prized in the world.

LOL. I suggest you take a basic course in high school economics and get
back to us.

krw

Jun 22, 2008, 10:15:44 PM6/22/08
In article <JdSdnQ0nKd8_bcPV...@comcast.com>,
nos...@comcast.invalid.net says...

> "krw" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message news:MPG.22c89c061...@news.individual.net...
> > In article <182dnY-Pd-oIXMPV...@comcast.com>,
> > nos...@comcast.invalid.net says...
> >
> > > It was and is the bank's
> > > responsibility to lend responsibly. Period. End of story.
> > >
> > It is also the borrower's responsibility to borrow responsibly.
>
> Utter nonsense.

Wrong!

> People have always tried and will always try to qualify
> for the best house they can get.

That somehow absolves them of any responsibility?

> It's the bank's job to properly qualify
> these home loan applications. The breakdown in this case occurred in
> the latter half of that equation, not the former.

If the borrowers were being responsible they wouldn't have borrowed
more than they could pay. Kinda the definition of being
"responsible".

--
Keith

Rod Speed

Jun 24, 2008, 12:58:44 AM6/24/08

Hey guy, sorry about all that, I just get bitchy sometimes.

Rod Speed

Jun 24, 2008, 5:03:43 AM6/24/08
Oh wait! That's actually correct! I'm sorry!