Earplugs

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Sep 27, 2008, 10:29:35 PM9/27/08
Anyone wear earplugs?

I was at a social event the other day, one with a live band, where not
only could I not hear what anyone was saying but after a while each
note of the band was like someone plunging a file into the nerve of a
tooth without anesthesia. According to the "experts" man has the
innate ability to distinguish between sounds and the example given is
speech and music in circumstances similar to those I describe. Well, I
must have been behind the door when those genes were handed out.

One has to live with what one has and since I'm not likely to be able
to have all live music banned, I guess I have to take measures to
modify myself to eliminate the horrors. The logical thing seems to be
earplugs, which if the promotional blah blah is correct apparently
only cut out the loud noises. You should then be able to eliminate the
music and actually hear the guy next to you. Is that correct? I'd
settle for just eliminating the noise including the guy next to you.

However the big thing in my view doesn't seem to be addressed
anywhere: When I was just a little 'un my mommie told me never ever to
put anything in my ear! If I did, not only would I go deaf, but I'd
never get it out and satan would carry me off to hell the next day.
(OK, I made up the bit about satan...) In checking out Google no one
seems to be the slightest bit concerned you're stuffing some foam into
your ear. No one worries that it could go in too far. No one is
concerned that the plug might break off inside. No one gives advice on
how to extract the sucked-in-too-far plug (tweezers? ice pick? propane
torch? major surgery?).

I'm missing something here. Maybe Qtips are guaranteed to bust an
eardrum but earplugs are exempt? Could someone who uses earplugs
address my concerns.

Forrest

Sep 27, 2008, 11:24:56 PM9/27/08

<NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov> wrote in message

I feel your pain. The house behind ours has been under construction for
about three years. They added a huge garage and another story to it. The
asshole that owns it is trying to do as much of the work himself as he can
and it just drags on and on. He is a jerk! He has his ghetto blaster on all
day every day on a rock station and cranked up. I have tried ear plugs but
they don't seem to help much. I have the foam ones that you roll and try to
slide into the ear canal as fast as you can before they expand too much.
That's hard to do. I don't think it would be possible to get them in too
far. I guess if you did manage to do it, a cork screw would probably get
them out rather easily.

Rod Speed

Sep 28, 2008, 2:29:34 AM9/28/08

Yep.

> Maybe Qtips are guaranteed to bust an eardrum but earplugs are exempt?

Yep, as long as you dont ram them in with a stick or close.

> Could someone who uses earplugs address my concerns.

They dont break up in your ear.

Steve IA

Sep 28, 2008, 8:00:47 AM9/28/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote in

> Anyone wear earplugs?

Yes, I was 'forced' to wear them for the last 10 years or so I worked in
a factory setting. I was opposed (stubborn)to them at first, but soon
learned they are great.

> One has to live with what one has and since I'm not likely to be able
> to have all live music banned, I guess I have to take measures to
> modify myself to eliminate the horrors. The logical thing seems to be
> earplugs, which if the promotional blah blah is correct apparently
> only cut out the loud noises. You should then be able to eliminate the
> music and actually hear the guy next to you. Is that correct? I'd
> settle for just eliminating the noise including the guy next to you.

For me they dampened all noise, especially machine noise. Voice sounds
where dampened, but I learned to pay attention when someone was speaking
to me. A good (evil) thing was that if my back was turned I could pretend
to not hear people that I didn't want to talk to, and keep walking.

> However the big thing in my view doesn't seem to be addressed
> anywhere: When I was just a little 'un my mommie told me never ever to
> put anything in my ear! If I did, not only would I go deaf, but I'd
> never get it out and satan would carry me off to hell the next day.
> (OK, I made up the bit about satan...) In checking out Google no one
> seems to be the slightest bit concerned you're stuffing some foam into
> your ear. No one worries that it could go in too far. No one is
> concerned that the plug might break off inside. No one gives advice on
> how to extract the sucked-in-too-far plug (tweezers? ice pick? propane
> torch? major surgery?).

There are several kinds/styles I'm familiar with. Some soft formed rubber
and most of varing firmness degrees of foam, usually funnel or tube
shaped to fit into the external ear canal. Through experimentation I
found the style that worked best and was most comfortable to me. It
happens to be foam plugs with a plastics string attached to keep the 2
together and allow you to remove the plugs (like when going into an
office) and drape them around your neck, thus not losing them. The
strings make extraction easier,but many folks used un-corded ones and
I've never had nor heard of removal trouble. They just don't go in far
enough that you can't remove them with your fingers. I even smoosh them
in as far as I can with my little fingers to block as much sound as I
can.

I retired 4 years ago and still wear earplugs when I'm around noisy
things: Tractors, lawn mowers, power tools, snoring wife.
Protecting your hearing is REALLY important. Once it's gone, it's gone.
Someday the kids with there BOOM-BOOM car stereos are gonna wake up and
say, "Huh?"

Steve
SouthIowa

--
I don't know half of you half as well as I'd like;
And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

- Bilbo Baggins

Al Bundy

Sep 28, 2008, 9:35:55 AM9/28/08

Earplugs made for industrial use can't get stuck in your ear. They
also have strings attached to pull the plugs out. You have a choice of
orange or yellow as a rule. They are readily available at certain
hardware stores or big box outlets. They could be in with safety
equipment or near the chain saws.

Don Klipstein

Sep 29, 2008, 12:31:51 AM9/29/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote in

> Anyone wear earplugs?

> One has to live with what one has and since I'm not likely to be able

> to have all live music banned, I guess I have to take measures to
> modify myself to eliminate the horrors. The logical thing seems to be
> earplugs, which if the promotional blah blah is correct apparently
> only cut out the loud noises. You should then be able to eliminate the
> music and actually hear the guy next to you. Is that correct? I'd
> settle for just eliminating the noise including the guy next to you.

> However the big thing in my view doesn't seem to be addressed

> anywhere: When I was just a little 'un my mommie told me never ever to
> put anything in my ear! If I did,

> (in short ruin your ears and maybe die and go to hell)

I have used them. I have seen them mandated in noisy areas in
workplaces in order to comply with OSHA requirements, even at a military
facility.

Live music can get loud enough to need them. I have seen 102 dB
averaged throughout a set at the outer edge of the dance floor in a rock
club once!

They are also used at drag race events sanctioned by NHRA and IHRA. I
found foam earplugs hardly adequate (maybe a little inadequate) at front
row seats near the starting line when "Top Fuel" dragsters and
same-fuel-same-engine ("Top Fuel" or "Nitro") funny cars take off!

There are also headphone-like hearing protection devices, and I got one
from Harbor Freight. I find those adequate for loud live music and loud
nightclubs.
Those need to be combined with earplugs in even louder locations,
possibly such as front row seating near starting line at drag races, and
definitely for those who work the starting line at drag races, those who
work near running jet engines, and possibly jackhammer operators and those
who use power saws on 1/16 inch thick aluminum.

=======================================

Hearing protection is also necessary for training and target
practice/competition use of many, possibly most firearms. However, if you
encounter a weapon-wielding burglar/rapist/robber, worry about causing
your ears a bit of damage should not deter you from giving the felon
trying to victimize you a fatal case of acute lead poisoning!
(Or from causing you to use a noisy weapon to deter a felon to retreat
so quickly as to maybe rely on greater unfairness and greater illegality
of shooting the perp in the back for "self-defense"/"home defense"; AND I
think there is 24/7/365 "open season" on offending criminals that take
longer than about half a second to flee with complete and clear and
obvious abandmondment of further felony progress when the intended victim
presents defensive force of any kind that has any chance of being upheld
as legal by a jury!
Better to shoot victimizers quickly enough to not need to explain why
you shot them in the back!)

A few favorite signs of mine:

1. Trespassers beware of flying objects - they will be bullets!

2. Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

3. Shoplifters will be beaten, kicked, stabbed and shot. Surviving ones
will be prosecuted.

4. In God we trust. All others pay cash.

5. We accept personal checks up to $50.00 if you are at least 65 years
old, have at least 6 pieces of government-issued photo ID including
passports from at least 3 UN member countries, and both your parents, all
4 of your grandparents and all 8 of your great-grandparents personally
vouch for your identity and residential address, AND you submit a $100
cash deposit until the check clears! (Or something like that, definitely
just a little milder.)

6. Never mind the dog - beware of owner! (Along with close-up frontal
view of a handgun.)

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Forrest

Sep 29, 2008, 2:03:06 AM9/29/08

"Don Klipstein" <d...@manx.misty.com> wrote in message
Well, I too am a second amendment supporter, so I guess, this being a frugal
living group, you should have pointed out that you are such a good shot that
you would have only had to use one, maybe two rounds to do the job.