Saving Money on Drugs (Free Samples Aren't Really Free)

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 17, 2008, 5:42:30 PM3/17/08
We all know that generic drugs are cheaper than brand-name. And we all
think that getting free samples from the doctor is cheaper yet. But it
isn't.

The samples that the doctors get to give out are pretty much only for
those drugs that have no generics. So if you are diagnosed with
condition X that requires a maintenance drug, and the doctor says,
"Let's try drug Q; here's a month's worth of free samples," what happens
at the end of the month? If drug Q works, he or she will prescribe drug
Q--and it's available only as a name-brand. (That's why the drug
company gives out the samples.)

On the other hand, if you say up front that you want to try a generic
first, you will have to pay for the first month's supply. but if it
works, the on-going prescription will be for the (much cheaper) generic.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Heretic: someone who disagrees with you about

Al Bundy

Mar 18, 2008, 4:54:05 PM3/18/08

True enough, but not always possible. The new drug may offer symptom
control not proven with the generic. In other cases you might switch
to a generic of the same class if the free one worked. Of course, who
is not resistant to changing something that works. That's the way
marketing works. And if the new drug doesn't help, you spent nothing.
For routine stuff like infections, reflux, and high BP, generics often
prove as effective.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 18, 2008, 5:36:05 PM3/18/08

Well, yes, sometimes one needs the new drug. But my point was that if
you have something requiring a maintenance drug, starting with something
with no available generic will just mean continuing with that brand
name, even though the first month is free. Assuming the doctor has no
specific reason to prescribe something *other* than a generic, most
people will be better off starting with a generic.

Al Bundy

Mar 19, 2008, 11:24:22 AM3/19/08
I'd always start by asking for the generic and let the discussion go
from there. Then you have it covered.
Your point involved "maintenance" drugs. If you get to the point of
needing something on an ongoing basis, chances are you have gone
through a period of testing various things for efficacy.

For people who are insured, the drug policy tends to take care of this
issue in the first place by specifying generic.