Propane vs Gasoline powered generators

Foxy Lady

Jun 10, 2008, 2:34:45 PM6/10/08
I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of using one over the other.

We have a 3600 sq. ft. home and recently installed a Briggs & Stratton 8K
portable gasoline generator to run the basic things like refrigerator,
lights, fans, septic pump, water, furnace (propane), etc. During this
incredible heat wave in South Central PA we had blackouts on Sunday afternon
until late in the evening. The generator would run for less than 5 minutes
and turn off. I saw how much trouble my husband went through getting
gasoline, hitting switches, disconnecting the cable, etc. so I want out of
it since I'm never going to touch that sucker when he isn't home and most of
the blackouts are during the day while he's a state away working.

We have a 500 gallon, underground propane tan that we keep as full as
possible at all times. I want to change to a standby, automatic transfer
generator because I live by the K.I.S.S. rule. We returned the adequately
named BS generator yesterday for a full refund and will apply that money to
a new system.

Main question is, how much does it cost to run a 16K propane generator? I've
read so much conflicting info on the internet that I'm at a loss. My husband
believes that it would empty the tank in 2.5 days costing us around $1,000
for the pleasure. I've found data that it uses .75 gallons per hour of use
and that's significantly much lower than the former equation.

Can someone help me with this, or post a link where I can find an answer to
this question?

Thank you,

Sandra

Rod Speed

Jun 10, 2008, 2:57:09 PM6/10/08
Foxy Lady <for...@the-merrimans.net> wrote:
> I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of using one over the
> other.
> We have a 3600 sq. ft. home and recently installed a Briggs &
> Stratton 8K portable gasoline generator to run the basic things like
> refrigerator, lights, fans, septic pump, water, furnace (propane),
> etc. During this incredible heat wave in South Central PA we had
> blackouts on Sunday afternon until late in the evening. The generator
> would run for less than 5 minutes and turn off. I saw how much
> trouble my husband went through getting gasoline, hitting switches,
> disconnecting the cable, etc. so I want out of it since I'm never
> going to touch that sucker when he isn't home and most of the
> blackouts are during the day while he's a state away working.
> We have a 500 gallon, underground propane tan that we keep as full as
> possible at all times. I want to change to a standby, automatic
> transfer generator because I live by the K.I.S.S. rule. We returned
> the adequately named BS generator yesterday for a full refund and
> will apply that money to a new system.

> Main question is, how much does it cost to run a 16K propane generator?

Should be cheaper than gasoline, otherwise LPG wouldnt be used in cars to save money.

> I've read so much conflicting info on the internet that I'm at a loss. My husband believes that it would empty the
> tank in 2.5 days

You cant get the cost by numbers like that pulled out of his arse.

> costing us around $1,000 for the pleasure. I've found data that it uses .75 gallons per hour of use and that's
> significantly much lower than the former equation.

So where did he get the 2.5 days from ?

Foxy Lady

Jun 10, 2008, 3:07:41 PM6/10/08

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

From calculations using the info on Consumer Reports, but I just can't
believe that. I think he fudged the math and can't - or won't - see it.

Jeff

Jun 10, 2008, 4:10:57 PM6/10/08
Foxy Lady wrote:
> I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of using one over the other.
>
> We have a 3600 sq. ft. home

And you are reading mic.consumers.frugal.living?

and recently installed a Briggs & Stratton 8K
> portable gasoline generator to run the basic things like refrigerator,
> lights, fans, septic pump, water, furnace (propane), etc. During this
> incredible heat wave in South Central PA we had blackouts on Sunday afternon
> until late in the evening. The generator would run for less than 5 minutes
> and turn off. I saw how much trouble my husband went through getting
> gasoline, hitting switches, disconnecting the cable, etc. so I want out of
> it since I'm never going to touch that sucker when he isn't home and most of
> the blackouts are during the day while he's a state away working.
>
> We have a 500 gallon, underground propane tan that we keep as full as
> possible at all times. I want to change to a standby, automatic transfer
> generator because I live by the K.I.S.S. rule. We returned the adequately
> named BS generator yesterday for a full refund and will apply that money to
> a new system.
>
> Main question is, how much does it cost to run a 16K propane generator? I've
> read so much conflicting info on the internet that I'm at a loss. My husband
> believes that it would empty the tank in 2.5 days costing us around $1,000
> for the pleasure. I've found data that it uses .75 gallons per hour of use
> and that's significantly much lower than the former equation.

Well that's a big generator, and depending on the model it should use
2 1/2 gallons/hr under load. It will use less under lower loads, but not
proportional, it might uses 1 1/2 gallons/hr at half load. That would be
about two weeks for your 500 gallons. Your .75 gallon figure might be at
idle. You should be able to get all the specs on this.

Jeff

Dennis

Jun 10, 2008, 4:42:15 PM6/10/08

Simple - just work through his calculations and point out to him where
he made a mistake. It's just simple arithmetic.

Dennis (evil)

Rod Speed

Jun 10, 2008, 4:49:46 PM6/10/08
Foxy Lady <for...@the-merrimans.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Foxy Lady <for...@the-merrimans.net> wrote

Yeah, very likely.

Likely he's not comparing equal power generators, gasoline and propane powered.

Foxy Lady

Jun 10, 2008, 5:54:54 PM6/10/08

"Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote in message

> Foxy Lady wrote:
>> I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of using one over the other.
>>
>> We have a 3600 sq. ft. home
>
> And you are reading mic.consumers.frugal.living?

How do you think we were able to buy it? Certainly via many frugal
endeavors.

The plus side is that we bought it before this housig situation (3 years
ago), it's a LOT of house for the buck, and it's in PA where our retirement
benefits aren't taxed. The acre of land is also a plus for vegetable
gardening, fruit trees, cutting flowers, and in the midst of so many farms
that if I run out of the produce I grow, I just need to walk down the road
to a neighboring farmer who sells from a stand.

Thanks for your info. I'm certain hubby's calculations are mistaken...

Sandra

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Jun 11, 2008, 7:11:57 AM6/11/08
Foxy Lady <for...@the-merrimans.net> wrote:

>... I'm certain hubby's calculations are mistaken...

What's the local price of propane? A friend in Elverson PA just got 80
gallons at $4.40/gallon, the heat equivalent of oil at $6.35/gallon.

Nick

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jun 11, 2008, 9:42:48 AM6/11/08

Geeze Louise, price here this spring could be locked in at $2.30/gal.

Jeff

Jun 11, 2008, 9:03:27 AM6/11/08

I found this:

http://www.homeheatingoilprices.com/

Current
Fuel Prices Last
Year Last
Week Current +/-
Oil $2.50 $3.46 $3.71 Last Year ($1.21) / Last Week($0.25)
Propane $2.03 $2.41 $2.66 Last Year ($0.63) / Last Week($0.25)
Kerosene $2.86 $3.55 $3.65 Last Year ($0.79) / Last Week($0.10)

and this:

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/energy.html

Propane 1 gallon = 91,500 BTU
1 cubic foot = 2,500 BTU
1 pound = 21,500 BTU
4.24 lbs = 1 gallon
36.39 cubic feet = 1 gallon
Natural Gas 1 cubic foot = 1,050 BTU
Gasoline 1 pound = 19,000 BTU
1 gallon = 125,000 BTU
1 gallon = 6.1 lbs
Oils 1 gallon kerosene = 135,000 BTU
1 gallon #2 oil = 138,500 BTU
1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
1 gallon #6 oil = 153,200 BTU

In my area it looks like heating oil is a better value BTUs/dollar.

I suppose local factors can be considerable (heating oil is little
used here, it's mostly natural gas or propane if you are in the sticks).
Also, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the first website.

Any way we go, solar (and added insulation) just keeps looking better
and better.

Jeff

> Nick

Stormin Mormon

Jun 16, 2008, 9:32:43 AM6/16/08
This may be some help.

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=propane+generator+f
uel+consumption+&btnG=Google+Search

has a length of 91 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which
has a length of 25 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/4jg7fn
[Open in new window]

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Foxy Lady" <for...@the-merrimans.net> wrote in message

max

Jun 16, 2008, 10:32:29 AM6/16/08
In article <48566c13$0$30171$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

your husband's figures sound like 100% full load values. I.e, 16kW
continuous load for 2.5 days. Such a number is waaaay waaaaay over the
top for a house. That is an astonishingly huge power draw.

I doubt you could draw 16 kW load in your house if you turned on every
single electrical thing you own.

You might, for an interval of 1.5 seconds, get 16 kw load if all of the
motors (fridge, freezer, sump etc) turned on at the exact same instant,
but it's not credible to analyze for a steady state load in the 16 kW
range. (hint: look at your electric bills and see what the avg. daily
load is).

your number is more reasonable than his, 500 gallons of propane will
keep the lights on and the fridge cold for more than a couple of days.
Guarenteed.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.