Re: Plummeting Dollar. What now ?

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2008, 2:17:06 PM3/14/08
Nove...@aol.com wrote:

> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the dollar is
> being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who knows where,
> to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests" of the world.

More fool you. Have fun explaining who would benefit from doing that.

> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a
> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling dollar???

Have your money in some other currency that you expect will do much better.

> Maybe buy Euros?

Yep, thats one obvious possibility.

> How can an individual buy Euros??

Plenty of obvious ways, really depends on how much money is actually involved.

With smaller amounts its best to buy them as if you were going to europe in person.

With larger amounts its more convenient to get a euro currency
account with a bank that you believe wont implode any time soon.

Or just buy physical gold and keep it in a bank safety deposit box insured etc.

> Huge commissions ???

The commissions are nothing like what you would otherwise lose as the USD sags.

Jeff

Mar 14, 2008, 2:59:51 PM3/14/08
Nove...@aol.com wrote:
> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the
> dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who
> knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests"
> of the world.
>
> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031303620.html

There are a lot of reasons for the dollars weakness, it has little going
for it other than the desire of other nations to prop it up.

what can a
> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
> dollar???
>

> Maybe buy Euros? How can an individual buy Euros?? Huge
> commissions ???

You may be a little late for gold, but it is still going up. I think
it's basically illegal to hold foreign currency in large amounts
although you can trade in FOREX. You may wish to look at investing in
other markets. I think the wisest thing is to do nothing rather than
stumble into something really bad. There's a lot of potential for big
losses. Even AAA paper is shaky. I'd trust most government bonds and
corporate paper though, anything not tied to mortgages. Or transportation.

Probably the best you can do is pay down your debt, if you have any.
Or invest in energy efficiency. (More efficient lighting, AC, heating,
car...) The worst things get, the better the return. I'd give the Stock
Market 6 months to a year to bottom, if you want to invest.

Jeff

Rod Speed

Mar 14, 2008, 5:34:59 PM3/14/08
Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote
> Nove...@aol.com wrote

>> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to
>> keep falling to who knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests" of the world.

>> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness,

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031303620.html

> There are a lot of reasons for the dollars weakness, it has little
> going for it other than the desire of other nations to prop it up.

That last doesnt happen.

>> what can a frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling dollar???

>> Maybe buy Euros? How can an individual buy Euros?? Huge commissions ???

> You may be a little late for gold, but it is still going up.

What matters is that the USD will continue to sag while ever trillions
are poured down that rat hole that Iraq has become for money.

> I think it's basically illegal to hold foreign currency in large amounts

Nope.

> although you can trade in FOREX.

You're welcome to have a foreign currency account.

> You may wish to look at investing in other markets. I think the wisest thing is to do nothing rather than stumble into
> something really bad.

More fool you.

> There's a lot of potential for big losses.

Nope, not with Euros or gold.

> Even AAA paper is shaky. I'd trust most government bonds

Trouble is that the easiest ones of those to get are in USDs.

> and corporate paper though, anything not tied to mortgages. Or transportation.

> Probably the best you can do is pay down your debt, if you have any.

Nope, not with interest rates dropping again.

> Or invest in energy efficiency. (More efficient lighting, AC, heating, car...)

Wont do as well as gold or euros and MUCH more risky than both.

> The worst things get, the better the return. I'd give the Stock Market 6 months to a year to bottom, if you want to
> invest.

We'll see.

The Henchman

Mar 14, 2008, 6:31:08 PM3/14/08

<Nove...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the
> dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who
> knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests"
> of the world.
>
> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a

> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
> dollar???

Your debt is cheaper, so since the dollar value is falling, your dollar
works harder on debt servicing and exporting.

Since American firms make more money on exports during weaker dollar
periods, why not et into some DRIPS with Coca-Cola or IBM or Nucor Steel?

Joe

Mar 14, 2008, 11:39:53 PM3/14/08
Start a business selling to Europeans and rake in the dough.

--

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"
http://yunx.com/valk.htm

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/hmzj
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg

<Nove...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the
> dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who
> knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests"
> of the world.
>
> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a
> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
> dollar???

hchi...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2008, 12:41:05 AM3/15/08
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), Nove...@aol.com wrote:

>OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a
>frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
>dollar???

Buy lots of food and stockpile. There is some seriousness to that
one-off flippant remark.

I have never been as concerned about the economy as I am now. We
dodged a bullet back last year when the market was about to tank, and
the Fed stepped in at the last minute. We dodged another one with the
economic stimulus bill. We sort-of dodged one this past week when
there was a promise to pump billions into the economy, and we dodged
yet another with the BearStearns bailout. The bullets are coming
faster and harder and yet the market is still dropping no matter how
hard the attempts are to prop it up. There are too many negative
factors at work, and the investment community is getting closer to the
margins, especially if derivatives (the modern unsafe and unregulated
instrument) become an issue. If the investment banks start falling
like dominos, we could see economic chaos, or we could see
federalization, which could end up being even worse.

The overall economic situation isn't something that the average person
can do anything about, so my best advice is to limit exposure and make
sure all your basics are covered. Spend on what you know you will
need now, but hold back on other discretionary spending and pay off
debts while you can. With all the funny money going into bailouts and
paying for the war in Iraq, inflation has the potential to be
horrendous, and getting and keeping credit will be difficult at best.

Expect gas prices to continue to rise as people in the market look at
how companies like Hess are the ones who are gaining while the rest of
the economy is suffering.

What market sectors might benefit? Movie theatres, Netflix, and game
platforms. In down times, cheap entertainment becomes popular.

If you don't already have your financial basics in order, it is too
late. All you can do is hope that you can still make payments on
those CC bills and mortgages and car payments. If gas somehow gets to
$5/gal this summer and food prices go up 10% or more, look for the
shit to really hit the fan, as the poor start to go through the
grinder and act out. Now might also be a good time to brush up on
what FDR did in the depression to keep people from rioting and keep
some semblance of an economy functioning. In worst case scenarios,
cities are not good places to be.

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2008, 2:17:58 AM3/15/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote
> Nove...@aol.com wrote

>> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can
>> a frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling dollar???

> Buy lots of food and stockpile.

Mindlessly silly.

> There is some seriousness to that one-off flippant remark.

More fool you.

> I have never been as concerned about the economy as I am now.

Doing that wouldnt have helped with the Great Depression
and we aint about to see anything like that now.

> We dodged a bullet back last year when the market was
> about to tank, and the Fed stepped in at the last minute.

Mindlessly silly. What actually happened that the fed responded to the
credit crunch in an entirely appropriate way. There was no bullet dodged.

> We dodged another one with the economic stimulus bill.

Nope, that was what was appropriate, no bullet dodged.

> We sort-of dodged one this past week when there
> was a promise to pump billions into the economy,

No there wasnt. That was just doing something about the credit crunch and that will work too.

> and we dodged yet another with the BearStearns bailout.

Nope. And BearStearns wasnt bailed out.

> The bullets are coming faster and harder

Like hell they are. You've been watching too many westerns in your dotage.

> and yet the market is still dropping no matter
> how hard the attempts are to prop it up.

The fed aint even attempting to prop it up.

> There are too many negative factors at work, and the investment
> community is getting closer to the margins, especially if derivatives
> (the modern unsafe and unregulated instrument)

There was never any regulation of what was done before that.

> become an issue.

They wont, you watch.

> If the investment banks start falling like dominos,

They wont, because of what the fed has just done.

> we could see economic chaos,

Nope, we didnt even see that during the great depression.

> or we could see federalization, which could end up being even worse.

Pure fantasy.

> The overall economic situation isn't something
> that the average person can do anything about,

Wrong again.

> so my best advice is to limit exposure and
> make sure all your basics are covered.

Thats a stupid way to do that.

> Spend on what you know you will need now, but hold back on
> other discretionary spending and pay off debts while you can.

If everyone did that, that would sink the economy faster than anything else could, stupid.

> With all the funny money going into bailouts

It aint funny money, its treasury paper. That survived the great depression fine.

> and paying for the war in Iraq,

No funny money invoved there either, just debt.

And thats what brought an end to the great depression too.

> inflation has the potential to be horrendous, and
> getting and keeping credit will be difficult at best.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you
dont actually have a fucking clue about the basics.

> Expect gas prices to continue to rise as people in the market
> look at how companies like Hess are the ones who are gaining
> while the rest of the economy is suffering.

That aint the reason for rising gas prices.

> What market sectors might benefit? Movie theatres, Netflix, and game
> platforms. In down times, cheap entertainment becomes popular.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.

> If you don't already have your financial basics in order, it is too late.

Nope.

> All you can do is hope that you can still make payments
> on those CC bills and mortgages and car payments.

Wrong.

> If gas somehow gets to $5/gal this summer and food prices go up 10% or more, look
> for the shit to really hit the fan, as the poor start to go through the grinder and act out.

How odd that they didnt during the great depression.

> Now might also be a good time to brush up on what FDR
> did in the depression to keep people from rioting and keep
> some semblance of an economy functioning. In worst
> case scenarios, cities are not good places to be.

In the great depression, neither were the non citys, stupid.

Logan Shaw

Mar 15, 2008, 3:26:36 AM3/15/08
Nove...@aol.com wrote:
> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the
> dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who
> knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests"
> of the world.
>
> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a
> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
> dollar???
>
> Maybe buy Euros? How can an individual buy Euros?? Huge
> commissions ???

You should probably figure out the math before choosing a scheme
like that. When the dollar is weak, like now, that means that the
Euro is *expensive*. If the dollar recovers, the Euro (your
investment) will have lost value relative to the dollar. Unless
you think the trend will continue even further, your scheme
basically amounts to "buy high, sell low". Or to put it another
way, when something is trending in a certain direction, in order
to capitalize on that, you have to get in towards the beginning
of the trend. Nobody knows if the dollar will drop further or
will recover, but to me at least, it doesn't seem like we're
in the early part of that trend.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2008, 3:44:10 AM3/15/08

Doesnt need to be the early part to benefit.

ALL that matters is whether its still got a significant amount fall relative to the Euro.

Jeff

Mar 15, 2008, 4:08:38 AM3/15/08

There's little reason for it to go up and a lot of reasons for it to
fall further.

There's a strong feeling that the FED would go another 3/4 point in
the coming meeting. What with the Europeans holding their rates up,
it'll be just another push to go lower.

Well, it looks like the yen carry trade is about dead. Which I
suppose will push the dollar lower. I was just reading a bit more about
the Japanese economy which: For the last 17 years, the Nikkei rode down
the proverbial “slope of hope”.
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article3973.html

It's an interesting story, a housing bubble that burst, and a government
that has tried to prop up the economy with super low interest rates.

Hmmm.

Jeff

> - Logan

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2008, 4:27:25 AM3/15/08

Nothing even remotely resembling anything like that has happened in the US bubble wise.

> and a government that has tried to prop up the economy with super low interest rates.

Nothing even remotely resembling anything like that has happened in the US interest rates wise.

> Hmmm.

Humming aint gunna save your bacon.

Logan Shaw

Mar 15, 2008, 11:51:54 AM3/15/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> Or to put it another
>> way, when something is trending in a certain direction, in order
>> to capitalize on that, you have to get in towards the beginning
>> of the trend. Nobody knows if the dollar will drop further or
>> will recover, but to me at least, it doesn't seem like we're
>> in the early part of that trend.

> Doesnt need to be the early part to benefit.
>
> ALL that matters is whether its still got a significant amount fall relative to the Euro.

Well, that was sort of my definition of "early". Maybe I should've
said "early enough".

The point is that usually things only move in one direction for a
certain length of time. Then they go the other direction. I
won't go so far as to say everything is cyclical, but at the same
time, generally trends don't last forever either.

- Logan

Jeff

Mar 15, 2008, 12:00:08 PM3/15/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

Rod.

Do you really think I'm paying any attention to someone who's only
purpose is to troll up some response. And you do that by using such
insightful comments as "Fool you" and "Nope".

Not to mention that you couldn't possibly be more removed from the US
than where you are.

Jeff

rod...@runawayrod.com

Mar 15, 2008, 1:03:42 PM3/15/08
Testing a bot to autoreply to Roddie. Like Rod's reply, no brains
were used in generating the response.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:17:58 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>hchi...@hotmail.com wrote
>> Nove...@aol.com wrote
>
>>> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can
>>> a frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling dollar???
>
>> Buy lots of food and stockpile.
>
>Mindlessly silly.

You can wipe that egg off your silly little face now.

>> There is some seriousness to that one-off flippant remark.
>
>More fool you.

You are indeed, some silly kid with his dick in his hand.

>> I have never been as concerned about the economy as I am now.
>
>Doing that wouldnt have helped with the Great Depression
>and we aint about to see anything like that now.

Still got nothing to do with the original claim that criminal gangs
are necessary for a sane society.

>> We dodged a bullet back last year when the market was
>> about to tank, and the Fed stepped in at the last minute.
>
>Mindlessly silly. What actually happened that the fed responded to the
>credit crunch in an entirely appropriate way. There was no bullet dodged.

If you cant actually manage to grasp that very basic stuff for
yourself, you'll just have to keep wanking in that sheltered workshop
you infest boy.

>> We dodged another one with the economic stimulus bill.
>
>Nope, that was what was appropriate, no bullet dodged.

Who knows ? Who cares ? It wasnt what was being discussed.

>> We sort-of dodged one this past week when there
>> was a promise to pump billions into the economy,
>
>No there wasnt. That was just doing something about the credit crunch and that will work too.

In that case it was most likely all you povs using stolen mobiles and
not giving a damn about the cost of the calls.

>> and we dodged yet another with the BearStearns bailout.
>
>Nope. And BearStearns wasnt bailed out.

The bolshy barstards should be taken out the back and shot.

>> The bullets are coming faster and harder
>
>Like hell they are. You've been watching too many westerns in your dotage.

If you are too stupid to understand, thats entirely your problem.

>> and yet the market is still dropping no matter
>> how hard the attempts are to prop it up.
>
>The fed aint even attempting to prop it up.

You admitted yourself below it aint. Even you should be able to
bullshit better than that boy.

>> There are too many negative factors at work, and the investment
>> community is getting closer to the margins, especially if derivatives
>> (the modern unsafe and unregulated instrument)
>
>There was never any regulation of what was done before that.

Corse there isnt even the slightest hint of any of that from you eh ?

>> become an issue.
>
>They wont, you watch.

That was a joke, Joyce. Thats why it had one of those funky smiley
things on the end of it.

>> If the investment banks start falling like dominos,
>
>They wont, because of what the fed has just done.

Utterly mindless bullshit.

>> we could see economic chaos,
>
>Nope, we didnt even see that during the great depression.

You're always welcome to make a VERY spectacular fool of yourself
attempting to guess something like that from a usenet post. And flaunt
the fact that you're so stupid you havent even noticed the risk in
doing that.

>> or we could see federalization, which could end up being even worse.
>
>Pure fantasy.

Pathetic really, even you should be able to bullshit better than that
boy. If you enrol in a course in wanking, anyway.

>> The overall economic situation isn't something
>> that the average person can do anything about,
>
>Wrong again.

Wrong again. Its much more likely to be more childish lying.

>> so my best advice is to limit exposure and
>> make sure all your basics are covered.
>
>Thats a stupid way to do that.

You get to like that or lump it. Thats the way we do it here.

>> Spend on what you know you will need now, but hold back on
>> other discretionary spending and pay off debts while you can.
>
>If everyone did that, that would sink the economy faster than anything else could, stupid.

You get to like that or lump it or piss off to some place thats stupid
enough to have that sort of a nanny state, if they're stupid enough to
have you.

>> With all the funny money going into bailouts
>
>It aint funny money, its treasury paper. That survived the great depression fine.

It the usual utterly bogus comparison that only a completely rabid
totally one eyed mouth frothing zealot would attempt.

>> and paying for the war in Iraq,
>
>No funny money invoved there either, just debt.

Wow, just another pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist. We aint lucky
at all.

>And thats what brought an end to the great depression too.

No one actually gives a FRF what you'd rather boy. You made the
claims, you get to substantiate those claims. Thats how it works.

>> inflation has the potential to be horrendous, and
>> getting and keeping credit will be difficult at best.
>
>Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you
>dont actually have a fucking clue about the basics.

like I said, that a pathetically useless substantiation for that
original claim you made.

>> Expect gas prices to continue to rise as people in the market
>> look at how companies like Hess are the ones who are gaining
>> while the rest of the economy is suffering.
>
>That aint the reason for rising gas prices.

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable

>> What market sectors might benefit? Movie theatres, Netflix, and game
>> platforms. In down times, cheap entertainment becomes popular.
>
>Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.

Pity you cant even manage to get the simplest stuff right.

>> If you don't already have your financial basics in order, it is too late.
>
>Nope.

Yeah, 'pathetic' really.

>> All you can do is hope that you can still make payments
>> on those CC bills and mortgages and car payments.
>
>Wrong.

In your pathetic little drug crazed dreams, trollchild.

>> If gas somehow gets to $5/gal this summer and food prices go up 10% or more, look
>> for the shit to really hit the fan, as the poor start to go through the grinder and act out.
>
>How odd that they didnt during the great depression.

terminally stupid fuckwit

>> Now might also be a good time to brush up on what FDR
>> did in the depression to keep people from rioting and keep
>> some semblance of an economy functioning. In worst
>> case scenarios, cities are not good places to be.
>
>In the great depression, neither were the non citys, stupid.

Pity you cant even manage to get the simplest stuff right.

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2008, 1:51:49 PM3/15/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote

>>> Or to put it another
>>> way, when something is trending in a certain direction, in order
>>> to capitalize on that, you have to get in towards the beginning
>>> of the trend. Nobody knows if the dollar will drop further or
>>> will recover, but to me at least, it doesn't seem like we're
>>> in the early part of that trend.

>> Doesnt need to be the early part to benefit.

>> ALL that matters is whether its still got a significant amount fall relative to the Euro.

> Well, that was sort of my definition of "early".

Nope.

> Maybe I should've said "early enough".

Wouldnt help. What happens late has nothing to do with what happened early.

> The point is that usually things only move in one direction for a certain length of time.

What matters is whether its got more to fall. Bet it has.

> Then they go the other direction.

Not necessarily with currency relativitys.

> I won't go so far as to say everything is cyclical, but at the same time, generally trends don't last forever either.

Bet they will last long enough to benefit with the USD from now.
Essentially because there is a reason its sagged already and
those reasons wont be changing soon.

Rod Speed

Mar 15, 2008, 1:54:24 PM3/15/08
Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote

> Rod.

> Do you really think I'm paying any attention to someone

You've just proved that you do.

> who's only purpose is to troll up some response. And you do that by using such insightful comments as "Fool you" and
> "Nope".

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> Not to mention that you couldn't possibly be more removed from the US than where you are.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to observe what
happens outside your immediate surrounds, if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 16, 2008, 1:47:27 PM3/16/08
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:
> hchi...@hotmail.com wrote in

>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), Nove...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what
>>> can a frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
>>> dollar???
>>
>> Buy lots of food and stockpile. There is some seriousness to that
>> one-off flippant remark.
>>
>> I have never been as concerned about the economy as I am now.
>
> You and me both.
> We just bought a place with five and a half acres that we're fixing up
> to move into.
> All work stops, however, when it's time to put in a hefty garden.
> That's going to be our number one priority along with a large freezer
> and some chickens for our own eggs and meat.

> In worst case scenarios, cities are not good places to be.

In the worst scenarios, no where is.

> I'm extra glad now that I'm no longer around New Orleans.
> Except for the food. I miss that but I can at least cook most of the cuisine myself.

Snowbound

Mar 16, 2008, 10:38:18 PM3/16/08
In article
Nove...@aol.com wrote:

> I'm one of those psychotic conspiracy nuts who believes that the
> dollar is being tanked on purpose, and is going to keep falling to who
> knows where, to benefit the agenda of the infamous "special interests"
> of the world.
>

> OK, whatever the motive, if any, for the dollar's weakness, what can a
> frugal person do to cope with, and/or benefit from the falling
> dollar???

Sell cheap crap on Usenet through spam.

> Maybe buy Euros? How can an individual buy Euros?? Huge
> commissions ???

Travelers checks.

Inflation is the saver's curse and the debtor's blessing. You may have
no debt. You may even have savings for retirement. You may exemplify
fiscal responsibility. But when inflation erodes all your years of good
work away in mere weeks or months (or in some cases, even just days),
your time and effort all goes to waste. Becomes worthless. Your family
and you go hungry.

And none of it is your fault. You did everything right. It is, *all* of
it, due to bad economic and political policies.

Think of the word "incompetent". How many times have you seen it used in
association with the Bush presidency?

P T

Mar 16, 2008, 11:19:50 PM3/16/08
Noveau67 wrote
>...How can an individual buy Euros??
>Huge commissions ???

There is an instrument with the ticker symbol FXE, which mirrors the
value of the Euro. You buy and sell it like a stock. There are online
brokers who will execute a trade for you for $7, and I recently saw a
firm who claimed they would do trades for free, with a relatively low
minimum account, though I don't know if they are legit. A site like
bigcharts.com will allow you to see how the value FXE fluctuates.

Similarly, there is a ticker symbol GLD which is trade, which follows
gold. Also, silver is available at a modest price, compared to gold.

I started watching FXE not long ago when it was about 135, and I thought
it was too late to get involved with it. Then it zoomed into the 140s,
and I thought it was too late to get involved in it. Now it's in the
150s.

Sadly, it was only a few years ago that this would have sold in the 90s.
The dollar is shrinking alarmingly. One day people are going to realize
that the rising price of gas is related to the shrinking dollar.

P T

Mar 16, 2008, 11:32:10 PM3/16/08
someone wrote

>If gas somehow gets to $5/gal this
>summer and food prices go up 10%
>or more, look for the shit to really hit
>the fan, as the poor start to go
>through the grinder and act out.

and Rod replied

>How odd that they didnt
>during the great depression.

Yes, and events such as the New Orleans hurricaine suggest that many
people are far less resourceful than during our grandfathers' era, more
likely to expect someone to hand them food on a platter so they can stay
fat, dumb, and happy, and more likely to turn feral when the social net
erodes.

George Grapman

Mar 16, 2008, 11:51:26 PM3/16/08
Sounds like a description of the top executives at Bear Stearns.

Rod Speed

Mar 17, 2008, 12:41:10 AM3/17/08
P T <Petep...@webtv.net> wrote:
> someone wrote

>> If gas somehow gets to $5/gal this summer and food prices
>> go up 10% or more, look for the shit to really hit the fan, as
>> the poor start to go through the grinder and act out.

> and Rod replied

>> How odd that they didnt
>> during the great depression.

> Yes, and events such as the New Orleans hurricaine suggest that
> many people are far less resourceful than during our grandfathers' era,

Natural disasters are completely different to high gas prices.

> more likely to expect someone to hand them food on
> a platter so they can stay fat, dumb, and happy, and
> more likely to turn feral when the social net erodes.

It aint gunna erode just because the gas price gets to $5/gal, you watch.

In spades with food prices increasing 10%

We dont even get riots when food prices increase anymore.

Bill Bowden

Mar 17, 2008, 2:43:38 AM3/17/08

GLD is gold, SLV is silver, and USO is US oil. They are all
commodities and move pretty much the same way, up 50 percent last
year. Just pick one and ride out the bear market with 100 percent gain
or more. Don't bother buying gold coins that need to be safe guarded
and appraised. Much easier to own shares of GLD, or SLV that can be
sold with a click of the mouse.

-Bill