Seen those coupons for a Quizno's "Low Cal' Flatbread Sandwich? Think Again

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 3:37:42 PM1/24/08
As everyone knows, the USA has a lot of weight to lose. Most of it
stems from the fast food society, a culture that we seem bent on
exporting throughout the world. This does no one any good.

I think it is a SHAM the way that certain fast food corporations treat
the consumer who is trying to eat healthy. Let's use Quizno's as an
example of what I mean here.

I'm sure you've been to one of these restaurants. It's basically a
Subway with a toaster in the middle, and the sandwiches taste
relatively good although they have been criticized for the excessive
calories and fat count in most of their sandwiches. And, of course, it
goes without saying that they really push their side orders of chips
and large soda drinks as well.

But I personally never felt bad about Quizno's until their recent
round of advertising. They are now pushing a flatbread sandwich they
call the "Sammie." Have you seen these ads? The photographs are
guaranteed to get you into their franchises, especially if you are
watching calories and trying to eat healthy. There's a photo in your
Sunday paper of a Sammie Grilled Chicken Balsamic sandwich . . . the
sandwich is literally bursting at the seams, stuffed with 12 or 13
visible chunks of grilled chicken, a ton of lettuce and tomato, and
right above it -- in giant letters -- ONLY 200 CALORIES.

That, my friends, is one of the most blatant shams I've seen in a long
time.

The ad drew me into my local Quizno's franchise, where I ordered the
above sandwich and then sat there in disbelief looking at the tiny
little thing that I was served. Yes, the sandwich you GET might be
only 200 calories. The guy making the Sammie used what appeared to be
a teaspoon to dole out one level spoonful of a lettuce and tomato mix,
on top of what were 6 or 7 small bites of chicken. All of it very
carefully measured onto a tiny round piece of bread. (The sodium
content of the balsamic dressing was off the charts, giving this
little appetizer sized "meal" an overly-salty and unhealthy flavor.)

I'm a consumer advocate, so I called the 800 number on the door of my
franchise with a complaint. Oddly, the number was right below a giant
photo of the sandwich I was eating - or, I should say, the sandwich I
THOUGHT I'd be eating.

They have "never gotten a complaint about this before" according to
the Quizno's representative I spoke with. When I later spoke to the
franchise owner, he told me that he hears this same concern from
everyone, and agrees 100% with me that this is unorthodox advertising.

Looking for truly healthy and low-cal food in a fast food restaurant?
Look further than Quizno's. Those folks are false advertisers, at
best.

Dave

Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

Rod Speed

Jan 24, 2008, 4:03:24 PM1/24/08
Dave <djen...@cox.net> wrote:

> As everyone knows, the USA has a lot of weight to lose.

Yes.

> Most of it stems from the fast food society,

Nope, its a problem even with those not into fast food.

> a culture that we seem bent on exporting
> throughout the world. This does no one any good.

Wrong, it does provide a useful source of fast food.

> I think it is a SHAM the way that certain fast food corporations
> treat the consumer who is trying to eat healthy.

More fool you.

> Let's use Quizno's as an example of what I mean here.

> I'm sure you've been to one of these restaurants. It's basically
> a Subway with a toaster in the middle, and the sandwiches
> taste relatively good although they have been criticized for the
> excessive calories and fat count in most of their sandwiches.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat there.

> And, of course, it goes without saying that they really push
> their side orders of chips and large soda drinks as well.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy those.

> But I personally never felt bad about Quizno's until their recent round of advertising.

Your problem.

> They are now pushing a flatbread sandwich they call the "Sammie."
> Have you seen these ads? The photographs are guaranteed to get
> you into their franchises,

No they arent.

> especially if you are watching calories and trying to eat healthy.

Wrong again.

> There's a photo in your Sunday paper of a Sammie Grilled Chicken
> Balsamic sandwich . . . the sandwich is literally bursting at the seams,
> stuffed with 12 or 13 visible chunks of grilled chicken, a ton of lettuce
> and tomato, and right above it -- in giant letters -- ONLY 200 CALORIES.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat there.

> That, my friends, is one of the most blatant shams I've seen in a long time.

Do the decent thing and set fire to yourself inside one of their franchises.

That'll stop them.

> The ad drew me into my local Quizno's franchise, where I ordered the
> above sandwich and then sat there in disbelief looking at the tiny little
> thing that I was served. Yes, the sandwich you GET might be only 200
> calories. The guy making the Sammie used what appeared to be
> a teaspoon to dole out one level spoonful of a lettuce and tomato mix,
> on top of what were 6 or 7 small bites of chicken. All of it very
> carefully measured onto a tiny round piece of bread. (The sodium
> content of the balsamic dressing was off the charts, giving this
> little appetizer sized "meal" an overly-salty and unhealthy flavor.)

Only a fool wouldnt expect anything else with that many calories.

> I'm a consumer advocate,

Nope, just a wanker.

> so I called the 800 number on the door of my franchise with a complaint.
> Oddly, the number was right below a giant photo of the sandwich I was
> eating - or, I should say, the sandwich I THOUGHT I'd be eating.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat there again.

> They have "never gotten a complaint about this before"
> according to the Quizno's representative I spoke with.

That means that there arent as many wankers around as you. Fortunately.

> When I later spoke to the franchise owner, he told me that he hears this same
> concern from everyone, and agrees 100% with me that this is unorthodox advertising.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat there again.

> Looking for truly healthy and low-cal food in a fast food restaurant?
> Look further than Quizno's. Those folks are false advertisers, at best.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat there again.

Siskuwihane

Jan 24, 2008, 4:29:14 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 4:03 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

The only wanker is Rod Speed giving a Blow-By-Blow response to
something he knows nothing about.

William Souden

Jan 24, 2008, 4:31:40 PM1/24/08

I recently read they have a new CEO who is trying to turn things
around. So far his biggest move is to limit coupons to 4 times a year
rather than almost every other week.
It seems when customers see a coupon regularly they stop going when
it is not there. He is hoping that after a few weeks they will give in.
Might work, on the other hand they might just wait, something I used to
do with Boston Market when there was one near my office.

William Souden

Jan 24, 2008, 4:37:37 PM1/24/08
Siskuwihane wrote:

> The only wanker is Rod Speed giving a Blow-By-Blow response to
> something he knows nothing about.

Yep, even if they were in Australia he would never see the coupons
because he never looks at a newspaper as facts upset him.

William Souden
racetrack bum and sales fool.

George

Jan 24, 2008, 4:47:04 PM1/24/08

What you described is what I find wrong with big box industrial
restaurants and really shows the power of marketing. Just keep saying
something enough and people will believe it.

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 5:02:45 PM1/24/08

I have that guy filtered out. He's always been a bit flagrant. Must
have a very boring life, eh?

Dave

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 5:03:49 PM1/24/08
> > Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

>     I recently read they have a new CEO who is trying to turn things
> around. So far his biggest move is to limit coupons to 4 times a year
> rather than almost every other week.
>    It seems when customers see a coupon regularly they stop going when
> it is not there. He is hoping that after a few weeks they will give in.
> Might work, on the other hand they might just wait, something I used to
> do with Boston Market when there was one near my office.

Thanks William, that may explain it. I think the new CEO hired a new
advertising agency, one with absolutely no scruples,

Dave

KarlMarx_MiddleClass_Ipod_HipHop

Jan 24, 2008, 6:08:04 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 4:31 pm, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I recently read they have a new CEO who is trying to turn things
> around. So far his biggest move is to limit coupons to 4 times a year
> rather than almost every other week.
> It seems when customers see a coupon regularly they stop going when
> it is not there. He is hoping that after a few weeks they will give in.
> Might work, on the other hand they might just wait, something I used to
> do with Boston Market when there was one near my office.

A Quiznos opened near where I worked a few years ago. Co-workers would
on occasion use the coupons to get food there. They often remarked
how expensive the place was. No surprise that it closed down after
less than a year in business. Maybe the steep lease rent was what did
them in there. I just could not see spending $8 for a sandwich and
small bag of chips and drink. No way.

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 9:49:57 PM1/24/08
On Jan 25, 9:08 am, KarlMarx_MiddleClass_Ipod_HipHop

I guess the question would be "what is expensive", because their
current deal is to show a giant sandwich and then offer something that
is, quite literally, three bites for $2. So, is a $2 sandwich which
should cost $1 any "cheaper?" Not really!

Dave

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:17:15 PM1/24/08
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

The old marketing firm had scruples?

If you thought that you need to reexamine the old ads...they were just
as bad.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:19:19 PM1/24/08
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

A suggestion....when you are handed the Mimi Me sandwich...point to
the picture on the wall and tell that is what you ordered...and then
demand you get what they advertixe.

If more people did that, this sham would not continue.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:20:11 PM1/24/08

Welcome to the probusiness world that Bush loves.

The customer means nothing...profits are king...at your expense.

And wait till inflation starts kicking big time during this
recession...you will consider your current sandwich a bargain.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:23:16 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 2:37 pm, Dave <djense...@cox.net> wrote:

Dave...it just occurred to me...are you complaining about the too
expensive sandwich OR not getting a sandwich as pictured OR not
getting a sandwich as pictured that has 200 calories?

You might also want to point out to the owner that is not forced to
post the picture of the sandwich.

And that he can charge you what the sandwich is actually worth. ;<)

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:25:25 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 5:08 pm, KarlMarx_MiddleClass_Ipod_HipHop

Quiznos has been having a tough time...their price/value has always
been poor.

With the upcoming recession, they are going to get creamed.

TMT

George

Jan 25, 2008, 7:19:01 AM1/25/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

> A suggestion....when you are handed the Mimi Me sandwich...point to
> the picture on the wall and tell that is what you ordered...and then
> demand you get what they advertixe.
>
> If more people did that, this sham would not continue.
>
> TMT

I always think of the movie "Falling Down" each time I see big box
restaurant advertising.

George

Jan 25, 2008, 7:25:25 AM1/25/08
Dave wrote:

> Thanks William, that may explain it. I think the new CEO hired a new
> advertising agency, one with absolutely no scruples,
>
> Dave

What surprises me is why you think this is new. Big box advertising
always paints a picture that is bigger than life. It works on the proven
theory that if you tell most people something enough times they believe
it. Can you think of any big box restaurant that resembles their
advertising?

Do you think you are in Italy when you go to olive garden? Or do you
imagine that tjfridays is your "neighborhood place"? or somehow even
imagine that aplebees (or whichever one claims it) is a "great American
restaurant"?

Logan Shaw

Jan 25, 2008, 10:38:51 AM1/25/08
George wrote:
> Dave wrote:

>> Thanks William, that may explain it. I think the new CEO hired a new
>> advertising agency, one with absolutely no scruples,

> Do you think you are in Italy when you go to olive garden? Or do you

> imagine that tjfridays is your "neighborhood place"? or somehow even
> imagine that aplebees (or whichever one claims it) is a "great American
> restaurant"?

Sort of on this subject, if you have not seen "Fast Food: Ads vs.
Reality", it's kinda amusing:

http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm

- Logan

George

Jan 25, 2008, 11:37:26 AM1/25/08

The sad part is places that can't afford to buy mindshare as the big box
places can are overlooked or even looked down upon.

Take sandwiches for example. There is a mom & pop deli near me that
makes fantastic quality sandwiches and subs to order at reasonable
prices using great rolls from an Italian bakery and quality meats. They
also have a real soup of the day that they make not the thaw out a bag
of frozen industrial soup served at the big box place.

I often tell people about the place and usually get the deer in
headlight look because they haven't been programmed to go there.

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2008, 11:47:38 AM1/25/08

Its more likely they are just considering your credibility and whether
its likely that you are accurately stating what the operation is like.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 25, 2008, 1:35:27 PM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 3:37 pm, Dave <djense...@cox.net> wrote:

> The ad drew me into my local Quizno's franchise, where I ordered the
> above sandwich and then sat there in disbelief looking at the tiny
> little thing that I was served. Yes, the sandwich you GET might be
> only 200 calories. The guy making the Sammie used what appeared to be
> a teaspoon to dole out one level spoonful of a lettuce and tomato mix,
> on top of what were 6 or 7 small bites of chicken. All of it very
> carefully measured onto a tiny round piece of bread. (The sodium
> content of the balsamic dressing was off the charts, giving this
> little appetizer sized "meal" an overly-salty and unhealthy flavor.)

Dave, 200 calories worth of anything besides celery is going to be a
very
small amount. There are 70 calories in single ordinary slice of white
bread. You just weren't using your common sense.

Please allow me a little rhetorical hyperbole on that "anything but
celery".
Of course many vegetables have negligible amounts of calories.

Cindy Hamilton

SMS

Jan 25, 2008, 1:41:31 PM1/25/08
Dave wrote:

> The ad drew me into my local Quizno's franchise, where I ordered the
> above sandwich and then sat there in disbelief looking at the tiny
> little thing that I was served. Yes, the sandwich you GET might be
> only 200 calories. The guy making the Sammie used what appeared to be
> a teaspoon to dole out one level spoonful of a lettuce and tomato mix,
> on top of what were 6 or 7 small bites of chicken. All of it very
> carefully measured onto a tiny round piece of bread. (The sodium
> content of the balsamic dressing was off the charts, giving this
> little appetizer sized "meal" an overly-salty and unhealthy flavor.)

The photos of the "Sammie" intentionally lack any object that would give
perspective to their actual size.

In my area, the best deals are on Vietnamese sandwiches, though those
have gone up in price as well. At Lee's Sandwiches, they are served on a
10" freshly baked baguette, and they are under $3. However they really
overcharge for their famous Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk.
People started just asking for water so they stopped giving out water.
"http://www.leessandwiches.com/"

A lot of Quizno's franchises are struggling. I know someone that has two
stores in Northern California, and he's at least breaking even, but many
of the stores are in poor locations. I.e. the one closest to me is in a
heavily Indian and Chinese neighborhood. The Chinese don't like a lot of
cheese, and don't eat sandwiches for dinner no what, and aren't that
fond of them for lunch either. Most of the Indian's don't eat beef, and
many are complete vegetarians. Also, there are many ethnic restaurants
around that are a lot less than the cost of a Quizno's meal.

timeOday

Jan 26, 2008, 3:24:31 PM1/26/08
I agree with you entirely EXCEPT one thing... the Sammie's are only $2.
That's your hint that you're supposed to buy a few of them.

As for healthy/low fat I do agree... you can't sell the same old stuff
in tiny portions and call it low fat. What I like to do is go by the %
of RDA, I try to eat foods with a higher % of RDA for protein than fat
and carbs. That way I'll hopefully be eating something that will stick
to my ribs for a while, thus reducing the calorie count overall.

Gene S. Berkowitz

Jan 27, 2008, 1:46:24 AM1/27/08
In article <7ac92abf-cdc4-42fa-8739-187ba7120732
@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, djen...@cox.net says...

> The ad drew me into my local Quizno's franchise, where I ordered the
> above sandwich and then sat there in disbelief looking at the tiny
> little thing that I was served. Yes, the sandwich you GET might be
> only 200 calories. The guy making the Sammie used what appeared to be
> a teaspoon to dole out one level spoonful of a lettuce and tomato mix,
> on top of what were 6 or 7 small bites of chicken. All of it very
> carefully measured onto a tiny round piece of bread. (The sodium
> content of the balsamic dressing was off the charts, giving this
> little appetizer sized "meal" an overly-salty and unhealthy flavor.)

Okay, here's the nutrition information from Quiznos' web site for the
"balsamic chicken flatbread sammie" (not including the dressing):

Calories: 170
Fat Calories: 30
Fat (g): 3.5
Saturated Fat (g): 0.5
Trans Fat (g): 0
Cholesterol (mg): 15
Sodium (mg): 410
Carbohydrates (g): 24
Fiber (g): 1
Sugar (g): 1
Protein (g): 11

We can pretty much assume that most of the protein is coming from the
chicken. For cooked white chicken meat, that works out to 38 grams of
chicken, or about 4 1/3 tablespoons.

So, the chicken contributes ~72 calories.

A slice of commercial white bread is about 70 calories. I expect that
the sammie bread is higher, because it appears denser. Maybe 90
calories?

So, that leaves 10 calories to dole out among the lettuce and tomatoes.

> I'm a consumer advocate, so I called the 800 number on the door of my
> franchise with a complaint. Oddly, the number was right below a giant
> photo of the sandwich I was eating - or, I should say, the sandwich I
> THOUGHT I'd be eating.
>
> They have "never gotten a complaint about this before" according to
> the Quizno's representative I spoke with. When I later spoke to the
> franchise owner, he told me that he hears this same concern from
> everyone, and agrees 100% with me that this is unorthodox advertising.
>
> Looking for truly healthy and low-cal food in a fast food restaurant?
> Look further than Quizno's. Those folks are false advertisers, at
> best.
>
> Dave

They're not lying about what they're selling, they're showing you a
photograph of a sandwich created from the actual ingredients by a food
stylist. So, the amount of chicken shown very likely was the same AMOUNT
by weight that you got, but trimmed, adjusted, stacked, and posed to
appear like more.

Big Macs don't look look their pictures, either, and I've never had a TV
dinner that more than vaguely resembled the one on the outside of the
box.

If you're really a consumer advocate, you're either new at this or very
naive.

Let's compare with some of the lowest calorie offerings from McDonald's:

Hamburger:
100 grams, 250 calories

Grilled [chicken] Snack Wrap® with Honey Mustard:
124 grams, 260 calories

Caesar Salad (without chicken):
213 grams, 90 calories

Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken:
311 grams, 220 calories
(so 98 grams of chicken adds 130 calories)

The real problem is that American "super-sized" portions have completely
distorted our view of what a "serving" of anything should be.

Since we can buy a half gallon of soda that contains no measureable
calories, some people seem to be under the impression that we should be
able to do the same with a pound of corn-fed meat.

On the Quiznos web site, the banner headline over the sammies photograph
is: "Big Bold Taste. Smaller Size". Sounds like they're being
ridiculously honest there.

--Gene

clams_casino

Jan 27, 2008, 6:42:29 AM1/27/08
timeOday wrote:

>I agree with you entirely EXCEPT one thing... the Sammie's are only $2.
> That's your hint that you're supposed to buy a few of them.

A bit like ordering one one White Castle slyder.