Frugal ways

1 view

Gina

Jul 19, 2008, 6:51:15 AM7/19/08
Curious how others make ends meet?

I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.

I recycle for the environment.

Al Bundy

Jul 19, 2008, 7:08:43 AM7/19/08

I don't use butter because it's 100% fat.
Prepared foods like TV dinners are too expensive.
I don't use less tooth paste. I use the correct amount.
Two rolls of towels at the dollar store is not very expensive.
But yes, I too use rags.

Message has been deleted

Jeff

Jul 19, 2008, 8:51:57 AM7/19/08
Al Bundy wrote:

> Gina wrote:
>> Curious how others make ends meet?
>>
>> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
>> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
>> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.
>>

>> I recycle for the environment.
>
> I don't use butter because it's 100% fat.

Even if it was 100% fat it turns out to be healthier than margarine. Who
would have thought that a tub of hydrogenated oils would have been bad
for you.

I switched to real butter a while back. It's one of those rare items
that is cheaper than it was years earlier (I guess because of there
being so much skim and low fat milk). And not only doesn't it take much,
but it tastes like the real deal because it is.

Jeff

Ken

Jul 19, 2008, 10:12:28 AM7/19/08
On Jul 19, 3:51 am, Gina <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote:
> Curious how others make ends meet?

Every time I almost manage to the ends meet, someone screws with me
and moves the ends.

In reality, don't have much of a problem in that area.
The hovel is paid for, my SO and I split most of the other expenses
(she's on SSD), have a few bucks in the bank or in coffee cans in the
backyard.

If only I could remember where I buried 'em, I'd be rich

toci

Jul 19, 2008, 10:17:22 AM7/19/08

No car. My daughter's the only driver in the household, and she
occasionally rents one. Recycle weekly. Toci

toci

Jul 19, 2008, 10:17:55 AM7/19/08
My mansion is paid for, too. Toci

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 19, 2008, 11:20:35 AM7/19/08

Our butter doesn't come in tubs, but we always have some chinese take
out containers even though we've only had chinese food a couple times
this past year. Paper towels don't have to be expensive. A case is
typically 30 rolls, and the generic brands can be had for as little as
$16/case. Newspaper also works for many clean-ups. They don't call
them fishwrap for nuthin.

Make your own tv dinners and you can save more money. If you cook
some rice, chicken, and vegetable of choice, and then parcel it out in
the amounts provided in tv dinners, you can get 20 dinners out of one
chicken.* Better yet, use small freezer containers lined with plastic
wrap to freeze individual portions of your slightly cooled mass
cooking. Once the portions are frozen into the blocklike shapes, you
can remove them from the freezer containers. That way you can have a
few boxes of mix-n-match instant dinners. Just select what you want -
turkey, chicken, beef, whatever, add a vegetable, add potato, rice or
pasta, remove from the wrap and heat.

Figuring one fryer at 4 to 5 lbs, the meat weight is conservatively
2.5 lbs, the portion size is 2 oz. Cost of fryer on sale -$5. Cost
of 1 lb bag of rice -$1 Cost of 1 lb bag of frozen peas - $1.50.
Total cost for twenty meals $7.50 plus electricity and wrap, or 45
cents per meal, compared to at least $1 for the cheapest tv dinners.
(Portion out Mac-n-cheese and you can make tv dinners for 20 cents per
portion or less.) On top of that, if you boil the chicken, you get a
quart or more of chicken stock, and schmaltz to spread on bread if you
are so inclined. The remains can be whizzed and added to the compost
- by doing so, the dogs will smell the chicken and dig in the compost
to aerate it for you for free, and yet not be dragging out bones or
animal parts. To answer your question, YES, animal matter CAN be
added to compost. It is done all the time on farms. The fear of
attracting rats, possums, 'coons, or other vermin is the primary
reason why people are told not to add such material to small home
piles of compost. If you make the animal residue fine enough, and mix
it with lots of vegetable waste/ paper/ etc., or bury it deep in the
pile, it won't feed the vermin.

If you are REALLY anal about recycling, you can soak the used plastic
wrap in a bleach and water solution, rinse, dry and re-use.

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 10:19:39 AM7/19/08

"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

Being of Scotch descent I'm just naturally in favor of all variety of
frugalities !!!

But, please tell me-- what, exactly, is the "correct" amount of toothpaste
to use?? I don't have all that many teeth left so I think I should be
authorized to use a rather small amount of the toothpaste.

TV dinners are way too expensive and their contents are near inedible (IMHO,
of course).....

McDave

AndyS

Jul 19, 2008, 11:05:21 AM7/19/08

Nixon.D wrote:
> Being of Scotch descent I'm just naturally in favor of all variety of
> frugalities !!!

Andy comments:

Your ancestor was a bottle of whiskey ???

I think you mean " of SCOTTISH descent ".......

..... a true Scotsman wouldn't make that mistake :>)))

Andy in Eureka, whose paternal has it's genealogy
traced back to Daniel Charles Sharpe, a Scottish
immigrant who came to the new world in 1720, and was
later a hero in the Revolutionary War ( on the American side )...

:>)))))))))))))))))))

High Miles

Jul 19, 2008, 11:26:02 AM7/19/08

If you don't let your "ends" get too far apart, the meeting thing gets
a whole lot easier.
I think people who were once really poor fare better when money
becomes a bit tight.
The skills you learn from being poor last a lifetime.
Saving money is more important now than ever.
Of course - gold might be a better thing to save at the rate our
dollar is being driven down.

Dorothy

High Miles

Jul 19, 2008, 11:27:01 AM7/19/08

I live right between you and Ken.
Neither hovel nor mansion..........................but free and clear.

Joan F (MI)

Jul 19, 2008, 1:45:34 PM7/19/08
I have a lovely matched set of plastic containers of various sizes that came
with food in them. I brush my teeth with water, hate toothpaste. I do use
a Kleenex when I need a napkin, can't stand cloth napkins. Only use paper
towels to dry food I have washed, not for cleaning tasks. I buy toilet
paper made from recycled paper, used to buy Green Forest but Kroger (who was
the only one that carried it) discontinued it and replaced it with Sunrise
which I think I like a bit better. Most of this is motivated less by saving
money than the fact that I hate waste.

We recycle our newspapers and a few other things, don't have curbside
recycling so we have to take it to the recycling center.

Joan F (MI)

Jul 19, 2008, 1:48:10 PM7/19/08
Oh, yes, forgot to mention that I never buy things like TV dinners. I do
use butter, I buy real food and cook most of our meals, only buy a couple of
things once in a while already made that are too much bother to make
yourself like fried chicken, I could never duplicate Popeye's spicy Cajun
chicken.

Joan F (MI)

Jul 19, 2008, 1:51:02 PM7/19/08
My dentist told me it was not necessary to use toothpaste, it is the
brushing that is important. I always have very good checkups. If you
really think you need something more than water try baking soda.

Shawn Hirn wrote:

| Good for you. Just be careful on using less toothpaste. Your savings
| there financially might cost you a lot more in the long-run if you end
| up with big dentist bills.

High Miles

Jul 19, 2008, 2:04:22 PM7/19/08
Joan F (MI) wrote:
> Oh, yes, forgot to mention that I never buy things like TV dinners. I do
> use butter, I buy real food and cook most of our meals, only buy a couple of
> things once in a while already made that are too much bother to make
> yourself like fried chicken, I could never duplicate Popeye's spicy Cajun
> chicken.

One of my few weaknesses, and just about the only truly unhealthy meal
I enjoy on a regular basis.
Love that jalepeno gravy on mashed taters too.

Message has been deleted

th...@anhywhere.usa

Jul 19, 2008, 2:59:49 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:05:21 -0700 (PDT), AndyS <andys...@juno.com>
wrote:

Actually, if you listen carefully, a Scotsman will say "Sccot-sh",
which sounds very close to "Scotch". It is spelled s-c-o-t-s, but
many there pronounce the final "s" as "sh". And the "t" so close
invites the "tch" sound.

th...@anhywhere.usa

Jul 19, 2008, 3:11:07 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:35:59 -0700, lis...@privacy.net wrote:

>Use water instead of TP

I understand that in some countries, a water spray system is installed
in toilets for this purpose. Some Americans think is it a misplaced
bidet, but it is for That.

Al Bundy

Jul 19, 2008, 3:55:50 PM7/19/08
On Jul 19, 8:51 am, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
> Al Bundy wrote:
>
> > Gina wrote:
> >> Curious how others make ends meet?
>
> >> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
> >> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> >> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.
>
> >> I recycle for the environment.
>
> > I don't use butter because it's 100% fat.
>
> Even if it was 100% fat it turns out to be healthier than margarine. Who
> would have thought that a tub of hydrogenated oils would have been bad
> for you.
>
> I switched to real butter a while back. It's one of those rare items
> that is cheaper than it was years earlier (I guess because of there
> being so much skim and low fat milk). And not only doesn't it take much,
> but it tastes like the real deal because it is.
>
> Jeff

There's no need to use margarine either. I've heard the health claims
for butter. I just don't chose to wear it.

The Real Bev

Jul 19, 2008, 5:53:48 PM7/19/08
Gina wrote:

> Curious how others make ends meet?
>
> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.

Use rags? If you have anything left big enough to clean with when your
clothes are worn out you're not wearing them long enough!

Cloth napkins? NAPKINS? LOOOOOOXURY! When I was a kid we didn't have
napkins, we didn't even have FOOD! If we wanted to eat we hung out at
the laundromat and dipped soup out of the washers when nobody was looking.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 6:34:21 PM7/19/08

My Dear Andy;

Your abysmally naive response to my post cannot be ignored !!

The Scotch drink you refer to is NOT "whiskey" it is whisky. ONLY
Scotland is allowed by international law to call their spirits WHISKY.
"Whiskey" is probably something they bastardized in Texas as they gradually
lost the civilizing protocols and living standards of Scotland.

Scotch; (noun); The people of Scotland (American Heritage Dictionary). One
of which you more than likely are. And, as I am myself which I am most
proud to proclaim.

My Scottish ancestors made their way, by unknown means, to the place now
known as Horse Cave, Kentucky sometime back in the 1700's. They kept very
few records there in those olden days but they were a hearty/hardy/thrifty
and independent folk that did not tolerate any anti-American horse shit !
They were never slave-holders so we have never felt any "guilt" about that
mess of crap nor have we ever been inclined to fork over any
reparations" - - - and frugality demands that we NEVER do that ! ......
<chuckle thrice>

But, I think you really should go check out that "Daddy Danny Sharpe" again.

McDaveOfMerryland

.
..... .

"AndyS" <andys...@juno.com> wrote in message

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 6:37:24 PM7/19/08

<th...@anhywhere.usa> wrote in message

And, no . . . I did NOT mean "Scottish Descent". I meant SCOTCH.
That's the way we here in America spell and pronounce that. Look in the
American Heritage dictionary.

McDaveOfMerryland

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 6:43:40 PM7/19/08

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in >

> If you are REALLY anal about recycling, you can soak the used plastic
> wrap in a bleach and water solution, rinse, dry and re-use.
====================================

I don't know what "anal" means in this context but if you want to be really
frugal you'll do like we do; marinate the plastic wrap and styrofoam in a
container overnight and eat it the next day as a sandwich-snack! I goes
quite good with a can of kippers.

McDaveOfMerryland

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 6:51:37 PM7/19/08

You better be careful about those raggedy clothes! They'll git' you for
indecent expotions.

McDaveOfMerryland

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 6:48:43 PM7/19/08

Heh, heh, heh,,,,,

Your post reminds of my good fortune in not having to worry any longer about
toilet paper.

With my intractible back pain I can no longer use it.

There's some kind of good to be found in almost every situation.

McDaveOfMerryland

"Joan F (MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> wrote in message

California Poppy

Jul 19, 2008, 7:21:57 PM7/19/08
On Jul 19, 3:48�pm, "Nixon.D" <nixo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Heh, heh, heh,,,,,
>
> Your post reminds of my good fortune in not having to worry any longer about
> toilet paper.
>
> With my intractible back pain I can no longer use it.
>
> There's some kind of good to be found in almost every situation.
>
> McDaveOfMerryland
>
> "Joan F (MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> wrote in messagenews:2P-dndWjCqvUtR_V...@giganews.com...

> >I have a lovely matched set of plastic containers of various sizes that
> >came
> > with food in them. �I brush my teeth with water, hate toothpaste. �I do
> > use
> > a Kleenex when I need a napkin, can't stand cloth napkins. �Only use paper
> > towels to dry food I have washed, not for cleaning tasks. �I buy toilet
> > paper made from recycled paper, used to buy Green Forest but Kroger (who
> > was
> > the only one that carried it) discontinued it and replaced it with Sunrise
> > which I think I like a bit better. �Most of this is motivated less by
> > saving
> > money than the fact that I hate waste.
>
> > We recycle our newspapers and a few other things, don't have curbside
> > recycling so we have to take it to the recycling center.
>
> > Gina wrote:
> > | Curious how others make ends meet?
> > |
> > | I reuse all I can. �Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
> > | tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> > | napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). �Use rags.
> > |

> > | I recycle for the environment.- Hide quoted text -

Do you mean that you no longer deficate? Or is it that you use
something other than TP?

California Poppy

Jul 19, 2008, 7:44:52 PM7/19/08
I save by eating at the Senior Center for lunch every day. It costs
$5, but I have a container and always put one-half if it away
immediately, so then I eat the rest in the evening. There are a few
things I will pay a little more for...my Yuban coffee, for instance.
Otherwise, I use store brands. Otherwise, I drive very little...only
to the senior center and to Kaiser. They are building a new Kaiser
clinic near me and I will go there after the end of the year. I buy
no new clothes and will just wear what I have until it is gone, or I
am.

The Real Bev

Jul 19, 2008, 8:04:52 PM7/19/08
Nixon.D wrote:

> Heh, heh, heh,,,,,
>
> Your post reminds of my good fortune in not having to worry any longer about
> toilet paper.
>
> With my intractible back pain I can no longer use it.
>
> There's some kind of good to be found in almost every situation.

OK, curiosity wins. Have you invented some kind of tool? Do you have a
friend who will, um, solve the problem for you? Do you just let the
deposits build up? Something else?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Lou

Jul 19, 2008, 8:07:32 PM7/19/08

"Gina" <m...@privacy.net.invalid> wrote in message

> Curious how others make ends meet?
>
> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.

Use less toothpaste? If that means you don't always brush after eating, it
could be penny wise, pound foolish. If it means a little less on the brush
each time you use it, I doubt if you'd notice the difference in cost in a
year.

Is butter in tubs cheaper than butter in sticks? Those tubs don't seal real
well - I'd rather use containers with tight lids. Once you buy them, they
last for years.

TV dinner containers - tv dinners don't seem like a bargin to me.

This is all nit-picky though - chasing after fractions of a cent. The big
expenditures are likely to be things like food, utilities, transportation,
and possibly clothing.

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 8:09:11 PM7/19/08
Nixon.D <nix...@comcast.net> wrote

> My Dear Andy;

> Your abysmally naive response to my post cannot be ignored !!

> The Scotch drink you refer to is NOT "whiskey" it is whisky. ONLY Scotland is allowed by international law to call
> their spirits WHISKY.

Wrong, no such 'international law'

th...@anhywhere.usa

Jul 19, 2008, 8:39:50 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:53:48 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Gina wrote:
>
>> Curious how others make ends meet?
>>
>> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
>> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
>> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.
>
>Use rags? If you have anything left big enough to clean with when your
>clothes are worn out you're not wearing them long enough!
>
>Cloth napkins? NAPKINS? LOOOOOOXURY! When I was a kid we didn't have
>napkins, we didn't even have FOOD! If we wanted to eat we hung out at
>the laundromat and dipped soup out of the washers when nobody was looking.

No food? Sheee-yet, gal. When I was a kid, we was so po' that when
the neighbors were eatin' beans, we stood ourselves outsdie they
windows and smelled their farts for supper.

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 9:04:02 PM7/19/08

"California Poppy" <GoldenSt...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Jul 19, 3:48?pm, "Nixon.D" <nixo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Heh, heh, heh,,,,,
>
> Your post reminds of my good fortune in not having to worry any longer
> about
> toilet paper.
>
> With my intractible back pain I can no longer use it.
>
> There's some kind of good to be found in almost every situation.
>
> McDaveOfMerryland
>
> "Joan F (MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> wrote in
> messagenews:2P-dndWjCqvUtR_V...@giganews.com...
>

> >I have a lovely matched set of plastic containers of various sizes that
> >came
> > with food in them. ?I brush my teeth with water, hate toothpaste. ?I do
> > use
> > a Kleenex when I need a napkin, can't stand cloth napkins. ?Only use
> > paper
> > towels to dry food I have washed, not for cleaning tasks. ?I buy toilet

> > paper made from recycled paper, used to buy Green Forest but Kroger (who
> > was
> > the only one that carried it) discontinued it and replaced it with
> > Sunrise
> > which I think I like a bit better. ?Most of this is motivated less by

> > saving
> > money than the fact that I hate waste.
>
> > We recycle our newspapers and a few other things, don't have curbside
> > recycling so we have to take it to the recycling center.
>
> > Gina wrote:
> > | Curious how others make ends meet?
> > |
> > | I reuse all I can. ?Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less

> > | tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> > | napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). ?Use rags.

> > | I recycle for the environment.- Hide quoted text -

Do you mean that you no longer deficate? Or is it that you use
something other than TP?

I just do just like all the other primates do------- stand naked out in the
rain when the opportunity arises. Same way they do in Texas.

McDaveOfMerryland

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 8:54:53 PM7/19/08

"California Poppy" <GoldenSt...@aol.com> wrote in message

You're probably drinking too much of that Yuban coffee. That's the reason
you're so excited and aroused all the time.

$5 is a bit steep for a Senior Center lunch. Around here it is $1.50 (or
free if you tell 'em you don't want to pay or cannot afford to pay).

I eat there occasionally just to be friendly with my peers but most of the
time I skip lunch; I find that if I don't eat lunch I can eat all I want of
anything I want for dinner and still never have to worry about putting on
unnecessary weight.

What is a "Kaiser Clinic" ? Whatever it is you're probably going to
have to wear your clothes.

McDaveOfMerryland

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 8:43:25 PM7/19/08

OK, OK, OK, OK, already !!!

International "Agreement" ----- Please don't bug me with trivials... !

McDaveOfMerryland

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 9:08:21 PM7/19/08

> Nixon.D wrote:
>
>> Heh, heh, heh,,,,,
>>
>> Your post reminds of my good fortune in not having to worry any longer
>> about toilet paper.
>>
>> With my intractible back pain I can no longer use it.
>>
>> There's some kind of good to be found in almost every situation.
>
> OK, curiosity wins. Have you invented some kind of tool? Do you have a
> friend who will, um, solve the problem for you? Do you just let the
> deposits build up? Something else?

It's best to do as the Texans do. Pay attention to the weather forecasts
and arrange to stand out in the rain whenever possible. That's the way the
Cowboys did it back in the days of yesteryear.

McDaveOfMerryland

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 9:16:40 PM7/19/08
Nixon.D <nix...@comcast.net> wrote:

> OK, OK, OK, OK, already !!!

> International "Agreement"

Still a lie. No such animal does anything of the sort.

> Please don't bug me with trivials... !

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 9:17:50 PM7/19/08
Rod Speed, ye grotesque dullest peasant in the camp, your purpled hands
do reek and smoke, ye poured out:

> do some guys make out that they dont like a girl or are not bothered
> by girl when they actually do like her if they are really shy? if so,
> why?

Nixon.D

Jul 19, 2008, 9:15:29 PM7/19/08

<th...@anhywhere.usa> wrote in message

You are a disgrace to this newsgroup. Good grief !!! Some of the
stuff you write would even make ol' Cornbread or her "Kenny" toss their
cookies !

McDaveOfMerryland

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 9:22:49 PM7/19/08
Rod Speed, ye infected unadvised scold, this is the silliest stuff that
I ever heard, ye vacillated:

> I've been dead before.

Message has been deleted

Gene S. Berkowitz

Jul 19, 2008, 10:45:05 PM7/19/08
In article <LNKdnR_PCIVyahzV...@comcast.com>,
nix...@comcast.net says...

> Being of Scotch descent I'm just naturally in favor of all variety of
> frugalities !!!
>

> But, please tell me-- what, exactly, is the "correct" amount of toothpaste
> to use?? I don't have all that many teeth left so I think I should be
> authorized to use a rather small amount of the toothpaste.

Generally, a blob the size of a garden pea should be plenty.

When toothpaste was first sold in tubes, the opening was made with a
narrow slot in it, so that the toothpaste would come out as a flat
ribbon. Over the years, marketing changed that to a plump caterpillar-
shaped blob, with a soft-serve ice-cream tip garnish on the end.

--Gene

th...@anhywhere.usa

Jul 20, 2008, 6:45:25 AM7/20/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:15:29 -0400, "Nixon.D" <nix...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Well, damn, they sure as hell make me puke with their phony liberal
palaver. They parrot the same old Liberal Manure that the colleges
and press have been excreting since 1900, and call themsleves
"independent thinkers".
Hasten Jason, bring the basin!!

AndyS

Jul 20, 2008, 7:03:05 AM7/20/08

Nixon.D wrote:

> And, no . . . I did NOT mean "Scottish Descent". I meant SCOTCH.
> That's the way we here in America spell and pronounce that. Look in the
> American Heritage dictionary.
>
> McDaveOfMerryland

Andy writes:

Ah, there's the rub...

I was looking in the Scottish Heritage dictionary :>))))

I'm glad to see you have assimilated into the American culture.
So many immigrants fail to do so....

:>))))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

AndyS

Jul 20, 2008, 7:15:21 AM7/20/08

***** And I don't blame you at all for not ignoring it !!!!!!

> The Scotch drink you refer to is NOT "whiskey" it is whisky. ONLY
> Scotland is allowed by international law to call their spirits WHISKY.
> "Whiskey" is probably something they bastardized in Texas as they gradually
> lost the civilizing protocols and living standards of Scotland.

**** How can you say that when Texas gave the world "Red Dog" beer
and
other masterpieces, such as the country's first one-story whorehouse
(which totally eliminated all the fucking overhead )) ???

> Scotch; (noun); The people of Scotland (American Heritage Dictionary). One
> of which you more than likely are. And, as I am myself which I am most
> proud to proclaim.

***** Sharpe is a sept of Clan Stuart (but not the royal
ones)......And I am
pretty much the stereotype of a Scottish engineer....... so even
the
rumors are true....

> My Scottish ancestors made their way, by unknown means, to the place now
> known as Horse Cave, Kentucky sometime back in the 1700's. They kept very
> few records there in those olden days but they were a hearty/hardy/thrifty
> and independent folk that did not tolerate any anti-American horse shit !
> They were never slave-holders so we have never felt any "guilt" about that
> mess of crap nor have we ever been inclined to fork over any
> reparations" - - - and frugality demands that we NEVER do that ! ......
> <chuckle thrice>

**** In fact, we should CHARGE the descendants of the slaves for the
compassion and benevolence our clan showed their ancestors...
..... mainly by not buying them and beating them.....
But what Scotsman would pay to own anything he would have to
feed, clothe, house, and give medical care to.... when all he has to
do
is work a little harder and save the money.

> But, I think you really should go check out that "Daddy Danny Sharpe" again.

**** I have a 57 typewritten page genealogy, complete with gravestone
pictures and references, documenting my ancestry back to Daniel.....
I suspect that you are not really Scottish, but merely Irish, and are
prone
to loud bragging, tremendous prejudice, and hard drinking.......
Do you deny it ???

:>))))))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS A shelleleigh is no match for a claymore....... :>)))

Jul 20, 2008, 9:49:06 AM7/20/08

> Nixon.D wrote:
>

>> And, no . . . I did NOT mean "Scottish Descent". I meant SCOTCH.
>> That's the way we here in America spell and pronounce that. Look in
>> the
>> American Heritage dictionary.
>>
>> McDaveOfMerryland

Umm, not in Argyle, NY they don't. They are SCOTTISH or SCOTS, not
"scotch". Scotch is what they drink. Are you sure you're not from Texas?

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 12:13:23 PM7/20/08

"AndyS" <andys...@juno.com> wrote

> **** In fact, we should CHARGE the descendants of the slaves for the
> compassion and benevolence our clan showed their ancestors...
> ..... mainly by not buying them and beating them.....
> But what Scotsman would pay to own anything he would have to
> feed, clothe, house, and give medical care to.... when all he has to
> do is work a little harder and save the money.
>

> **** I have a 57 typewritten page genealogy, complete with gravestone
> pictures and references, documenting my ancestry back to Daniel.....
> I suspect that you are not really Scottish, but merely Irish, and are
> prone
> to loud bragging, tremendous prejudice, and hard drinking.......
> Do you deny it ???
>
> :>))))))) Andy in Eureka, Texas
>
> PS A shelleleigh is no match for a claymore....... :>)))

Our Scottish Clan had nothing more to do with the Irish than absolutely
necessary and that was very little indeed. The Nixon (Nyckson, Nykson,
Nixon, other spellings) clan was a sub-clan of the great and all powerful
Armstrong Clan; the greatest of all the border clans and much greater than
your clan. We were right there on the Northern English border and in the
midst of most all of the conflicts.

I must agree with you re. the claymore. My maternal Grandfather used to
lean back on the front porch in the summer shade, spitting Red Mule tobacco
juice into a Folgers coffee can, and tell stories handed down through the
decades of how they were used by several of his ancestors in the Battle of
Killiecrankie in the late 17th Century. Apparently, they we really good
"cutters" but were a bit cumbersome from horseback.

If that damned "Bonnie Prince Charley" had stayed sober more of the time
instead of constantaly sipping on that Dram Buie we would have won those
Border Wars and we would not, could not, have been forced over to Ireland (a
sad and depressing land indeed). But, we left there as soon as we could;
made our way to the wild and wooly forests of Appalachia and Horse Cave,
Kentucky and eventually had the pleasure of seeing one of our members place
the first human foot on the surface of the MOON !!!!

Has any of your clan done anything notable?

McDave;OKIEAtLargeInMerryland

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 11:32:14 AM7/20/08

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

Argyle, NY. . . . ? That explains your nitpicking attitude.

No. It is Andy that is from Texas. I remain an OKIE At Large in
Merryland

McDave

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 11:26:12 AM7/20/08

Heh, heh, heh.....

Pretty sneaky aren't you . . . . ?

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 11:37:50 AM7/20/08

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.commie> wrote in message

> Rod Speed, ye infected unadvised scold, this is the silliest stuff that
> I ever heard, ye vacillated:
>
>> I've been dead before.

=================================
And still is in all likelihood.

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 11:36:42 AM7/20/08

Switch to Dram Buie. It'll clear your feeble mind. Bonnie Prince Charley
wasn't much of a warrior but he sure knew his spirits !

McDave

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

AndyS

Jul 20, 2008, 12:20:29 PM7/20/08

Nixon.D wrote:
MOON !!!!

> Has any of your clan done anything notable?
>
> McDave;OKIEAtLargeInMerryland

Andy writes:
Not lately.....

I think I had a distant uncle who was a bootlegger, and an aunt
who married a descendant of the Armstrong Clan after being a
prostitute for several years...... but nothing worth mentioning....

How about you ?

:>)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS The Armstrong Clan might have been bigger, but the Sharpe
sept of the Stuart Clan was smarter and better looking.....

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 12:22:09 PM7/20/08

I've read that just a dash of salt on the brush is superior to any of these
"toothpastes" they have convinced people are necessary. I believe that.

Toothpaste. Just more con-job for gullible consumers.

McDave
==================================

"Gene S. Berkowitz" <first...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Nixon.D

Jul 20, 2008, 12:34:47 PM7/20/08

> Nixon.D wrote:
> MOON !!!!
>>
>> Has any of your clan done anything notable?
>>
>> McDave;OKIEAtLargeInMerryland
>
> Andy writes:
> Not lately.....
>
> I think I had a distant uncle who was a bootlegger, and an aunt
> who married a descendant of the Armstrong Clan after being a
> prostitute for several years...... but nothing worth mentioning....
>
> How about you ? Andy in Eureka, Texas

Naw. . Guess not. Nothing other than win the Korean War and the Cold
War against the violent, aggressive, nuclear-powered, hateful, and genocidal
Union of Soviet Socialistic Republics.

McDave

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2008, 3:35:18 PM7/20/08
Nixon.D <nix...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Switch to Dram Buie.

No thanks, I prefer a decent single malt myself.

> It'll clear your feeble mind.

Unlike you, not possible to clear ear to ear dog shit even with acid.

> Bonnie Prince Charley wasn't much of a warrior but he sure knew his spirits !

Wrong, as always.

Capitalist Pig

Jul 20, 2008, 5:31:59 PM7/20/08
On 20 juil, 00:34, "Nixon.D" <nixo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> My Dear Andy;
>
> Your abysmally naive response to my post cannot be ignored  !!
>
> The Scotch drink you refer to is NOT "whiskey"  it is whisky.      ONLY
> Scotland is allowed by international law to call their spirits WHISKY.
> "Whiskey" is probably something they bastardized in Texas as they gradually
> lost the civilizing protocols and living standards of Scotland.
>
> Scotch; (noun); The people of Scotland (American Heritage Dictionary).   One
> of which you more than likely are.  And, as I am myself which I am most
> proud to proclaim.
>
> My Scottish ancestors made their way, by unknown means, to the place now
> known as Horse Cave, Kentucky sometime back in the 1700's.    They kept very
> few records there in those olden days but they were a hearty/hardy/thrifty
> and independent folk that did not tolerate any anti-American horse shit !
> They were never slave-holders so we have never felt any "guilt" about that
> mess of crap nor have we ever been inclined to fork over any
> reparations"  - - -  and frugality demands that we NEVER do that !    ......
> <chuckle   thrice>
>
> But, I think you really should go check out that "Daddy Danny Sharpe" again.
>
> McDaveOfMerryland
> ===========================================================================­===
>
> .
> .....     .
>
> "AndyS" <andysha...@juno.com> wrote in message

> > Nixon.D wrote:
> >> Being of Scotch descent I'm just naturally in favor of all variety of
> >> frugalities !!!
>
> > Andy comments:
>
> >  Your ancestor was a bottle of whiskey ???
>
> > I think you mean "  of SCOTTISH descent ".......
>
> > ..... a true Scotsman wouldn't make that mistake   :>)))
>
> >   Andy in Eureka,    whose paternal has it's genealogy
> > traced back to Daniel Charles Sharpe, a Scottish
> > immigrant who came to the new world in 1720, and was
> > later a hero in the Revolutionary War  ( on the American side )...
>
> >    :>)))))))))))))))))))- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Then what do the Irish drink? My bottle of Jamison's clearly says
"whiskey"

AndyS

Jul 20, 2008, 10:29:01 PM7/20/08

Nixon.D wrote:

> Naw. . Guess not. Nothing other than win the Korean War and the Cold
> War against the violent, aggressive, nuclear-powered, hateful, and genocidal
> Union of Soviet Socialistic Republics.
>
> McDave

Andy comments:

Wasn't the Cold War the one that didn't have any fighting ??

I'm sure my ancestors wanted no part of a war like that.....

.... and if we won the Korean War,....... howcome we still have
a North and a South Korea.......?????

Looks more like we just declared victory and left......sort of
like Vietnam.......

Andy in Eureka, where bagpipes are an accessory for those
who have had a colostomy....

Nixon.D

Jul 21, 2008, 1:22:33 AM7/21/08

"Capitalist Pig" <cochon-ca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On 20 juil, 00:34, "Nixon.D" <nixo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> My Dear Andy;
>
> Your abysmally naive response to my post cannot be ignored !!
>
> The Scotch drink you refer to is NOT "whiskey" it is whisky. ONLY
> Scotland is allowed by international law to call their spirits WHISKY.
> "Whiskey" is probably something they bastardized in Texas as they
> gradually
> lost the civilizing protocols and living standards of Scotland.

Then what do the Irish drink? My bottle of Jamison's clearly says
"whiskey"

I suspect you are referring to JamEson's Whiskey. That is not real Whisky.
Scotland produces real whisky.

But God only knows what those damned "mackeral snapping" Irish might drink!
Most of them are Catholic you know. They've been known to drink everything
from Anti-Freeze to shaving lotion.

Settle yourself in with a big ol' jug of Drambuie, a box of Ritz crackers,
and a block of bleu cheese. You'll be living the good life for sure and
your worries will soon fly away like little migrating butterflies.

McDaveOfMerryland

Capitalist Pig

Jul 21, 2008, 1:57:32 AM7/21/08
On 21 juil, 07:22, "Nixon.D" <nixo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Capitalist Pig" <cochon-capitali...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

France is about 90% Catholic. The national hard spirit here is Pastis
which you drink with water. Judging by all the available varities
available Whisky (Scotch) is popular. There are about as many
varieties of sea salt available as there are of Scotch whiskey. There
are maybe 800 cheeses, they are made from pasturized or unpasturized
cow, sheep and goat's milk.

Nixon.D

Jul 21, 2008, 7:23:20 AM7/21/08

"Capitalist Pig" <cochon-ca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You're all set then. All, you lack is a big ol' box of Ritz crackers and
you'll be off and running.
If they don't have them there I could send you a box.

<chuckle>
McDave

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 21, 2008, 1:06:07 PM7/21/08
On Jul 19, 3:55 pm, Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote:

>  There's no need to use margarine either. I've heard the health claims
> for butter. I just don't chose to wear it.-

Well, there's no NEED to do anything but lay down and die. However,
most people aren't willing do exercise that option.

A little butter won't hurt most people.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 21, 2008, 2:25:34 PM7/21/08

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well...I suppose you could just stand up and die instead :)

Nixon.D

Jul 21, 2008, 4:45:27 PM7/21/08

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton
====================================

You're entirely correct, Cindy. Butter is good for a person. Probably
much better than that damned hydrogenated crude oil they call
"margarine".....

McDave

Nixon.D

Jul 21, 2008, 4:46:56 PM7/21/08

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

Yep. Eva'body wanna' go to th' Heav'n. No body wanna' go today !!!

McDave
====================================

clams_casino

Jul 19, 2008, 2:41:11 PM7/19/08
Joan F (MI) wrote:

>My dentist told me it was not necessary to use toothpaste, it is the
>brushing that is important.

Considering how cheap it is - I bought a 6 oz tube of Colgate Total at
Walmart yesterday for $1 after a $1 off coupon.

Stephanie

Jul 23, 2008, 5:04:46 PM7/23/08
Gina wrote:
> Curious how others make ends meet?
>
> I reuse all I can. Butter tubs, tv dinner containers, use less
> tooth paste, cheap TP, use cloth napkins rather than buy paper
> napkins, don't use paper towels (WAY TOO expensive). Use rags.
>

> I recycle for the environment.

- No fancy cleaning stuff. A can of comet and a spray bottle of vinegar and
water.

- Shop meat and produce from the stores' fliers. Buy LOTS of the loss
leaders and freeze them.

- I actually maintain a price book sicne I cannot remember anything about
the price of stuff.