Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

Claude Balls

Mar 19, 2008, 4:41:42 PM3/19/08
Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

See sketch here:
http://www.geocities.com/claudeballsjr/range.html

This sketch shows the gas supply pipe coming from the wall as now is. I don't have the new range here and can't find info at frigidaire.com or from the dealer. I would like to know before the range is delivered if there is room inside the back of the range to accommodate this pipe and valve, or if I need to remove it and use a smaller one.

Problem is that the pipe will need to be cut off and I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks,
Claude

Message has been deleted

Claude Balls

Mar 21, 2008, 1:10:22 AM3/21/08
"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:srhi-BF71D3.1...@newsgroups.comcast.net...
> In article <aUeEj.7379$%Y2.3319@trnddc08>,
> Tell the dealer to provide you with the information or you will find
> another dealer who will, or call Fridgidaire's customer service to ask.

Dealer is Pacific Sales -- never answer the phone or returns calls. Super low prices though - can't have everything. The Frigidaire 800 number had a menu with only 2 options.... 'locate a dealer" or check the website. Website sucks - searching for the model number gave nothing. However, thru the website, I did find a contact form, filled it out and they responded fairly quickly and gave me a link to a webpage on their site. I don't see why it didn't come up in the search, but oh well...

Bad news in this case... the range back cavity is only 2-inches deep and 15-inches high, so we'll be doing a little pipe work this weekend.

Rod Speed

Mar 21, 2008, 1:50:21 AM3/21/08

You can usually search the website yourself using google if the web site search turns up
nothing useful and that usually works much better even when the web site search does work.

Gary Heston

Mar 21, 2008, 7:38:45 PM3/21/08
In article <2rHEj.6998$i54.6464@trnddc05>,
Claude Balls <claude...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

> Website sucks - searching for the model number gave nothing.
>However, thru the website, I did find a contact form, filled it out and
>they responded fairly quickly and gave me a link to a webpage on their
>site. I don't see why it didn't come up in the search, but oh well...

>Bad news in this case... the range back cavity is only 2-inches deep and
>15-inches high, so we'll be doing a little pipe work this weekend.

I presume you're licensed as a gas pipe fitter, then? Here (Alabama) gas
pipes can only be worked on by licensed fitters or utility crews. Seems
that mistakes can have serious consequences...

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"The lurking figure of Charles Darwin was observed fleeing the

Claude Balls

Mar 23, 2008, 12:59:40 PM3/23/08
"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message news:13u8ho5...@corp.supernews.com...

> In article <2rHEj.6998$i54.6464@trnddc05>,
> Claude Balls <claude...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > Website sucks - searching for the model number gave nothing.
> >However, thru the website, I did find a contact form, filled it out and
> >they responded fairly quickly and gave me a link to a webpage on their
> >site. I don't see why it didn't come up in the search, but oh well...
>
> >Bad news in this case... the range back cavity is only 2-inches deep and
> >15-inches high, so we'll be doing a little pipe work this weekend.
>
> I presume you're licensed as a gas pipe fitter, then? Here (Alabama) gas
> pipes can only be worked on by licensed fitters or utility crews. Seems
> that mistakes can have serious consequences...

Nope, I have plenty of pipe experience though. Your point should be heeded though. If anyone is reading this and thinking of doing it without any training, you definitely should hire a plumber. That's what I did the first time I have to deal with gas pipes in my house. The cost is a minimum charge and you can sleep easy.

By the way, gas pressure in my house was around 2 psig. The last plumper I had didn't shut off the gas and just held his thumb over the pipe when swapping fittings. Never smelled it. Not advising to others to do this -- just an interesting thing I learned. Also, you need to use the correct sealing putty..... again back to Gary's advise.... most folks should hire a plumber.

(Jeez.... I wish you could just ask a question without the disclaimers....)

Stormin Mormon

Mar 27, 2008, 8:03:18 PM3/27/08
I can't make a heck of a lot of sense out of your sketch. But, it sounds
like you've determined that you need to do some pipe fitting. Have at it!

I've seen that "change the valve on the fly" technique. And done it myself
at least a few times. Years of heating and AC work gives you the chance to
learn all kinds of new skills.

If you "cut off" the pipe with a hacksaw, or pipe cutter, you'll need to
thread the pipe end.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus