I've 3 Cheap Dial-Ups & Want To Upgrade But...

Liberal's Worst Nightmare

Aug 21, 2008, 10:49:08 AM8/21/08
The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
and downloads 24-48 kbps.

Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads 24-48, and has a nice
Usenet server.

The third one never has a busy signal but dowload speed never tops 28.

Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is now
available here.

Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.

Unfortunately, the reports about DSL product reliability and lousy
support have scared me off.

George Grapman

Aug 21, 2008, 11:48:54 AM8/21/08
I have AT&T dial up and my complaints are basically the same as when
I had dial up (email,news server).

Rod Speed

Aug 21, 2008, 1:53:44 PM8/21/08

More fool you. My DSL has been much more reliable than dialup ever was.

Gordon

Aug 21, 2008, 5:26:19 PM8/21/08
Rel...@home.net (Liberal's Worst Nightmare) wrote in

Join the 21st Century and get DSL. Plenty of people have DSL
and never experience a problem. If you like Unenet, you may
want to keep the dialup that has the good usenet server. You may
be able to log into the server from your DSL connection. Try it
and see.

Jack

Aug 21, 2008, 5:40:00 PM8/21/08

Sure would like to.

Yeah, I understand that you can keep a dial-up for back up but need to
remove the DSL stuff and revert to the dial-up wiring and connection
set-up.

Rod Speed

Aug 21, 2008, 6:19:37 PM8/21/08

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to use a decent usenet server instead.

Rod Speed

Aug 21, 2008, 6:21:16 PM8/21/08

> Sure would like to.

Depends on how reliable the DSL is and what reliability you need.

> but need to remove the DSL stuff and revert to the dial-up wiring and connection set-up.

No you dont, it will coexist with the DSL fine.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jack Bauer

Aug 23, 2008, 8:09:33 AM8/23/08
Liberal's Worst Nightmare wrote:

Who are these dial-up ISP's? It would nice to see a mini-review of
each, but with names.

Gordon

Aug 23, 2008, 8:53:06 PM8/23/08
Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote in news:48ade0ae.38614500@news-
60.giganews.com:

Nope. They can co-exist. Dial up will still use your modem and the DUN
to establish the connection. DSL will use a NIC (network connection).

I was thinking more in terms of maintianing access to the news server.
Most of the big national telcomms were blackmailed by NY state Atty
Como into dropping most of the news groups from their servers except
for the big eight hierarchies. So now it is necessary to have access
to a better news server if you want to get the alt groups. You can
buy into a priemium server it you like. But if the dialup ISP with
the good server is cheap enough, it may be worth it to maintain a
user account just to have access to their server.

Now, understand somthing. Just because the news server is maintained
by a dial up ISP, you don't have to dial into it. With your DSL link
active, you should be able to access the news server via the internet.
Just provide your user name and authentication information just like you
do now.

Dave

Aug 24, 2008, 3:25:18 AM8/24/08

"Liberal's Worst Nightmare" <Rel...@home.net> wrote in message
> [...]

DSL is much more reliable than either dial-up OR cable modem Internet
service. At the same price, I'd choose a "slower" DSL connection over
"faster" cable modem service, every time.

Lousy support is not tied to any particular technology. I've had better
service with DSL than cable modem. In one case, I had to fix a problem with
my cable modem MYSELF, as the cable company refused to believe that I had a
problem...or more likely just wanted to play dumb, hoping I would shut up.

In short, cable modem is potentially faster, but download speed varies
wildly depending on time of week and time of DAY. DSL is as fast as any
normal Internet user would ever need (even for large downloads), and
download speed never varies. Now watch someone state "but it's all shared
bandwidth". Yes, and with DSL, the sharing happens far enough away from
your individual modem that the sharing doesn't affect your download speed.
Unlike cable modem which slows significantly when the neighborhood kids get
home from school...

I can't wait until the local phone company FINALLY offers naked DSL so I can
ditch my cable modem. Sigh...

The only thing to be aware of with DSL service is that you do NOT want to
install any PPPOE software with your DSL service. Instead, get a broadband
sharing router (good ones about thirty bucks?). That will maintain your DSL
connection for you. That is, the PPPOE connection is initiated and
maintained by firmware in the router (after you enter your DSL user name and
password in the router setup menus ONCE). You should be using a router with
any broadband Internet service, but it's especially important to get one for
DSL, so that you don't have to install any extra software on your computer.

But with a router maintaining the PPPOE connection for you? You will LOVE
DSL. -Dave

aemeijers

Aug 24, 2008, 3:46:40 AM8/24/08
Uh, not always just like you do now. Some dialups or whole ISPs only
authenticate news for connections made directly to them, to lock out
people looking for freebies. Once I switched to an 8 dollar 'bring your
own connectivity' account at my dialup ISP, I had to use a special set
of server names and ports to bang their news server. Not a real big
deal, but I do this stuff for a living, and it could be confusing to a
non-techie. Note that most DSL providers also provide backup dialup
ports as part of the account price. I kept my dialup ISP to keep the
same email address, as well as for news access. If all OP wants is news
access, an account with a news server company (like giganews or similar)
may be as cheap as maintaining seperate ISP account.

Maintaining news access is just gonna keep getting harder and harder.
Only a small percentage of internet customers are even aware of it and
use it any more, and the bean counters would like it all to just go
away. The NY AG thing was just the excuse they were looking for to drop
the server-hungry binary and/or alt.* hierarchies. Next time, they will
just drop it all.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...

Dave

Aug 24, 2008, 4:08:24 AM8/24/08
> Maintaining news access is just gonna keep getting harder and harder. Only
> a small percentage of internet customers are even aware of it and use it
> any more, and the bean counters would like it all to just go away. The NY
> AG thing was just the excuse they were looking for to drop the
> server-hungry binary and/or alt.* hierarchies. Next time, they will just
> drop it all.

NEXT time? Dude, the majors have stopped peering -usenet- (all of usenet!)
already. Not just binary groups and alt.* hierarchies. All the text-based
groups have dramatically decreased traffic now. -Dave

SPAM@verizon.net Anthony Diodati

Aug 24, 2008, 6:04:54 PM8/24/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

I have had good luck with verizon's DSL.
Tony