frugal easy to maintain roof

1 view

mwmil...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 2:07:26 PM4/21/08
How could you roof a home so that it wouldn't need to be reroofed
every few decades, and would still offer the quality of shelter of
say, a shingles roof?

Any helpful input appreciated,
Matt

Dave

Apr 21, 2008, 2:47:49 PM4/21/08

<mwmil...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Build underground. Hey, the basement is there, just drop it another floor
or two. -Dave

Rod Speed

Apr 21, 2008, 3:41:22 PM4/21/08
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote:

> How could you roof a home so that it wouldn't need
> to be reroofed every few decades, and would still
> offer the quality of shelter of say, a shingles roof?

Metal.

mwmil...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 4:48:11 PM4/21/08
On Apr 21, 2:41 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

Are metal roofs noisy during rain?

Seerialmom

Apr 21, 2008, 4:55:09 PM4/21/08
On Apr 21, 12:41 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

Wouldn't metal be subject to rust or general oxidation? I'd think a
composite material, sort of like the Trex decking in shingle form
would be pretty sturdy?

Rod Speed

Apr 21, 2008, 5:05:39 PM4/21/08
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote

>> Metal.

They're certainly more noisy than the alternatives.

I like the noise myself, except during a torrential downpour or hail, but we get
those so rarely that its just a very minor nuisance because they dont last long.

You can install them with insulation compressed against the underside and that
will help with the noise. I didnt bother myself, like I said that sort of very noisy
rain is rare enough and lasts for such a short time that I didnt bother.

Rod Speed

Apr 21, 2008, 5:12:06 PM4/21/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> How could you roof a home so that it wouldn't need
>>> to be reroofed every few decades, and would still
>>> offer the quality of shelter of say, a shingles roof?

>> Metal.

> Wouldn't metal be subject to rust or general oxidation?

Nope, its normally galvanised etc to stop that.

There's no corrosion in mine thats now 35 years old and quite a
bit of the flat roof has quite a dense cover of leaves etc on it from
the big collection of big trees I have just off the edge of the roof.

> I'd think a composite material, sort of like the
> Trex decking in shingle form would be pretty sturdy?

No point in farting around with shingle form, that just
makes the fixing much harder to do and doesnt last as long.

And no wood last anything like as long as galvanised metal.

Mine is long sheets that are the length of the shorter axis of
the roof, and they all interlock and are crimped into place
with a big tool that looks rather like a 4' handled bolt cutter.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 9:26:50 PM4/21/08
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:55:09 -0700 (PDT), Seerialmom
<seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

If the attic has sufficient insulation, noise isn't an issue. Rust
isn't a problem with aluminum or galvanized or enameled roofs. Even
the old metal roofs on barns and houses from years ago don't have
serious oxidation. I know, cause the ol' house on our property has
one. Eventually, after the craziness, we'll go with metal ourselves.

Logan Shaw

Apr 21, 2008, 10:02:32 PM4/21/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> No point in farting around with shingle form, that just
> makes the fixing much harder to do and doesnt last as long.
>
> And no wood last anything like as long as galvanised metal.

Hmm, on that subject, I wonder how teak shingles would work out.
I'm not suggesting they'd last as long as a metal roof, but it
seems like that could last a lot longer than other wood shingles
given how well teak works for outdoors in general.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Apr 21, 2008, 11:30:10 PM4/21/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

I've always thought that any shingles are a stupid
approach to a roof even if some last longer than others.

Its only something you see much of in north america for some reason.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 22, 2008, 2:58:29 PM4/22/08
On Apr 21, 11:30 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote

They're cheap to buy and install. They're lightweight, so the
underlying
roof structure doesn't need to be as strong as for slate (for
example).
For areas where fire is not a danger and extreme heat is not a factor,
they have distinct advantages.

Rod Speed

Apr 22, 2008, 3:38:23 PM4/22/08
Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Hmm, on that subject, I wonder how teak shingles would work
>>> out. I'm not suggesting they'd last as long as a metal roof, but
>>> it seems like that could last a lot longer than other wood
>>> shingles given how well teak works for outdoors in general.

>> I've always thought that any shingles are a stupid
>> approach to a roof even if some last longer than others.

>> Its only something you see much of in north america for some reason.

> They're cheap to buy and install.

Metal is cheaper and much easier to install.

Doesnt explain why shingles are so common in north america,
which has is one of the most affluent areas in the entire world.

> They're lightweight, so the underlying roof structure
> doesn't need to be as strong as for slate (for example).

Slate isnt that common thruout the modern first world either. Tiles are.

Its certainly true that timber houses are also much more common in north
america than elsewhere too, the main exception is the slums of the third world.

> For areas where fire is not a danger and extreme
> heat is not a factor, they have distinct advantages.

Nope, not one.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 23, 2008, 1:23:12 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 3:38 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@hotmail.com> wrote

> > Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
> >> Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote
> >> I've always thought that any shingles are a stupid
> >> approach to a roof even if some last longer than others.
> >> Its only something you see much of in north america for some reason.
> > They're cheap to buy and install.
>
> Metal is cheaper and much easier to install.

You know, I just can't help but imagine that if it were cheaper here,
people would be using it. Folks just don't find it desirable.

> Doesnt explain why shingles are so common in north america,
> which has is one of the most affluent areas in the entire world.

Of course, when I say "shingles", I'm referring to asphalt composite
shingles.

> > They're lightweight, so the underlying roof structure
> > doesn't need to be as strong as for slate (for example).
>
> Slate isnt that common thruout the modern first world either. Tiles are.
>
> Its certainly true that timber houses are also much more common in north
> america than elsewhere too, the main exception is the slums of the third world.

We have lots of trees. It's a versatile and inexpensive building
material.
The average time someone in the U.S. owns a house is 7 years, so
nobody
cares about durability.

> > For areas where fire is not a danger and extreme
> > heat is not a factor, they have distinct advantages.
>
> Nope, not one.

Apparently millions of people beg to differ with you, Rod.

Cindy Hamilton

Rod Speed

Apr 23, 2008, 2:23:10 PM4/23/08
Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@hotmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>>> They're cheap to buy and install.

>> Metal is cheaper and much easier to install.

> You know, I just can't help but imagine that if
> it were cheaper here, people would be using it.

Those with a clue do.

> Folks just don't find it desirable.

Only the fools.

>> Doesnt explain why shingles are so common in north america,

>> which is one of the most affluent areas in the entire world.

> Of course, when I say "shingles", I'm referring to asphalt composite shingles.

>>> They're lightweight, so the underlying roof structure
>>> doesn't need to be as strong as for slate (for example).

>> Slate isnt that common thruout the modern first world either. Tiles are.

>> Its certainly true that timber houses are also much more common in north
>> america than elsewhere too, the main exception is the slums of the third world.

> We have lots of trees.

So do the places that arent stupid enough to build their houses from it.

> It's a versatile and inexpensive building material.

And plenty of other building materials leave it for dead.

> The average time someone in the U.S. owns a house is 7 years,

Irrelevant to how long the house will last.

> so nobody cares about durability.

Mindlessly silly, you still have to sell it to someone when you change houses.

>>> For areas where fire is not a danger and extreme
>>> heat is not a factor, they have distinct advantages.

>> Nope, not one.

> Apparently millions of people beg to differ with you, Rod.

Nope, its just another example of how particular markets end up with
bugger all else to buy so they dont get any choice on whats on offer.

Another example is the terminally stupid cars that are available to buy.

Dennis

Apr 23, 2008, 3:56:50 PM4/23/08

Not especially. We have a standing-seam metal roof on our house. It
is comprised of long sheets of galvanized, painted metal that reach
from the peak to the eaves. The vertical sheets join at raised seams
that are overlapped and crimped together. Beneath the lap of the
seams, the sheets are screwed to half-inch plywood sheathing. With
the continuous wood surface directly below the metal, there isn't much
issue with "ringing". Plus, we have lots of insulation in the attic
which further deadens any noise. The only place there is any
noticable noise is outside dormer windows where there is roof surface
surrounding the window. And even there, there isn't that much noise.

After living with it for 10 years, I would choose the same type of
roof again.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

jtno...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2008, 3:44:45 AM4/24/08
On Apr 23, 12:56 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You can have the inside of the roof sprayed with urethane foam, that
will insulate and deaden noise too. A small solar panel used for
cathodic protection will about double its rust resistance life, long
after you and I are in the grave. Why shingles? Tradition, limited
construction worker skills, building codes, and increasingly, those
pesky HOA rules. Social attitudes regard metal roofs as lowbrow and
white trashy, which is just blind prejudice.-Jitney

Dennis

Apr 24, 2008, 3:40:28 PM4/24/08
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:44:45 -0700 (PDT), jtno...@yahoo.com wrote:

>You can have the inside of the roof sprayed with urethane foam, that
>will insulate and deaden noise too. A small solar panel used for
>cathodic protection will about double its rust resistance life, long
>after you and I are in the grave.

Interesting. My metal roofing is galvanized plus a couple coats of
baked on paint. It is warranted for 50 years, so I expect that it
will still be in good shape well after I've lost mine. ;-)

>Why shingles? Tradition, limited
>construction worker skills, building codes, and increasingly, those
>pesky HOA rules. Social attitudes regard metal roofs as lowbrow and
>white trashy, which is just blind prejudice.-Jitney

Agreed. We put the metal roof on our (nice, modest) new house after
being impressed by the similar roof a friend put on his (large,
upscale) house. We were going for a country farmhouse look, and I
think the horizontal lap siding in white with the dark green, steep
pitched (12-12) standing-seam metal roof in dark green fits the bill.

scrapq...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2008, 1:09:13 AM4/25/08
On Apr 24, 3:40 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed.  We put the metal roof on our (nice, modest) new house after
> being impressed by the similar roof a friend put on his (large,
> upscale) house.  We were going for a country farmhouse look, and I
> think the horizontal lap siding in white with the dark green, steep
> pitched (12-12) standing-seam metal roof in dark green fits the bill.

Our metal roof does tend to be loud during a heavy rainstorm, but it
is over a cathdral celiling (no attic above the living area), so that
intensifies the sound. However, in a cathedral ceiling situation,
even a traditional shingle style roof is extremely loud in a heavy
rainstorm, too.

Also, noone has mentioned the great advantage of the metal roof in
areas where there is heavy snow: the snow slides right off the roof
eliminating the need to rake the roof. With a shingle style roof in a
heavy snow area, one needs to montior the snow on the roof carefully
and remove it before it causes damage.

Dennis

Apr 27, 2008, 1:40:08 PM4/27/08
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:09:13 -0700 (PDT), "pep...@prodigy.net"
<scrapq...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 24, 3:40 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Agreed.  We put the metal roof on our (nice, modest) new house after
>> being impressed by the similar roof a friend put on his (large,
>> upscale) house.  We were going for a country farmhouse look, and I
>> think the horizontal lap siding in white with the dark green, steep
>> pitched (12-12) standing-seam metal roof in dark green fits the bill.
>>

>Our metal roof does tend to be loud during a heavy rainstorm, but it
>is over a cathdral celiling (no attic above the living area), so that
>intensifies the sound. However, in a cathedral ceiling situation,
>even a traditional shingle style roof is extremely loud in a heavy
>rainstorm, too.

Hmm, we have vaulted ceilings in the great room and master bedroom,
but the noise is no worse than elsewhere in the house. No shortage of
heavy rains here, either (NW Oregon :-). As with other areas, there
is sturdy support and plenty of insulation under the metal.

>Also, noone has mentioned the great advantage of the metal roof in
>areas where there is heavy snow: the snow slides right off the roof
>eliminating the need to rake the roof. With a shingle style roof in a
>heavy snow area, one needs to montior the snow on the roof carefully
>and remove it before it causes damage.

Just don't leave patio furniture under the eaves. We learned this the
hard way after losing a chair and a small table to falling clumps of
wet snow last winter.

The steeply pitched metal roof also sheds leaves and needles well,
plus it's fireproof. Nice features when you live in a forest as we
do. It doesn't grow moss, but it does grow a little algae on the
north side.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.