clothesline

Stephanie

Jul 28, 2008, 1:48:04 PM7/28/08
VERY approximately how long does it take to dry regular clothes on the line?
I am having my husband install a clothesline to lessen our reliance on the
dryer. I want to know if it is nice in the am, but going to be rainy in the
pm, does it make sense to put the clothes out? I am talking order of
magnitude here. It could be an our or 12 hours as far as I know!

Thanks.

Jeff

Jul 28, 2008, 5:08:39 PM7/28/08

And it could be both!

For most items, a few hours on a somewhat sunny day suffice. Clothes
will dry fine in cold weather as long as you have some sun. A breeze helps.

Heavy weight items take longer. The only killer is damp/wet weather.

If I'm doing several loads, I'm regularly taking items off the line
that I had put on earlier.

Jeff

> Thanks.

E Z Peaces

Jul 28, 2008, 5:17:02 PM7/28/08
It depends on the relative humidity, wind, sun, and fabric. Sometimes
clothes can be dry in twenty minutes.

Cotton can be especially hard to dry because it's hydrophilic.
Depending on the relative humidity, it may not be completely dry in
several hours. If you have to finish drying with a few minutes in a
dryer, hanging clothes on the line first still saves energy and wear on
the clothes.

No

Jul 28, 2008, 5:32:15 PM7/28/08

The other posters mentioned a broad variation of outdoor drying time
and my experience is the same. I have been hanging up my clothes to
dry as pften as possible for over 35 years. I even have a couple of
lengths of short clothesline in the basement for haning things up in
the winter. It all depends on the humidity. I live in an area where
there is a significant Amish polulation and they hang their clothes
out year 'round! One word of caution (and I find this incredibly
amusing in this day of energy conservation): some neighborhoods/
developments have what are variously known as "deed restrictions" or
"deed covenants." If you have one of the aforementioned existing on
your property, you may be in for some civil action from your
neighbors. Other typical deed restricitons are: No parking motorhomes
or trailers in your yard; none of those small steel, utility sheds; or
no cars regularly parked in your driveway (all of them have to be in
the garage). Good luck!

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 28, 2008, 6:43:15 PM7/28/08

Where do you live, what is your humidity and temperature like?

Here in California where it doesn't rain all summer and it gets very
hot, I tend to hang laundry in the evening and take it down at about 10
am. The evening heat and breezes dry it but don't put in wrinkles, and
the sun isn't on it so long that it starts fading it.

If you have dry heat, which you might not if it rains in the summer
where you live, your laundry will dry very fast.

If it is 80s where you are and breezy, your laundry will dry before it
rains at night.

Rod Speed

Jul 28, 2008, 7:04:22 PM7/28/08
Stephanie <ha...@noway.net> wrote:

> VERY approximately how long does it take to dry regular clothes on the line?

Varys with the weather. They can dry in a lot less than
an hour when its over 110F with a strong hot dry wind.

I never wash when it looks like it might rain and even in winter, its always
dry by the time it starts to cool off in the later afternoon, with the wash hung
out first thing, as soon as the sun has come up outside so its warm enough.

> I am having my husband install a clothesline to lessen our reliance on the dryer. I want to know if it is nice in the
> am, but going to be rainy in the pm, does it make sense to put the clothes out?

In the summer, yes. Not in the winter.

imascot

Jul 28, 2008, 9:01:34 PM7/28/08
"Stephanie" <ha...@noway.net> wrote in

I hang all my laundry to dry in my unfinished basement. Where I live, it's considered almost odd not
to "finish" your basement, but ours is much more useful as is. I have four collapsible drying racks, one
long rope and two short ones, plus a couple of PVC pipes and three old-fashioned one-piece metal
towel racks attached to the bottom of the floor joists above, on which I hang plastic hangers. I can
hang five or six loads up at the same time (for a family of four).
In the summer, I open all the windows down there, and the clothes smell like they were outside in the
breeze. In the winter, the furnace keeps it so dry down there that the clothes dry overnight, and
never get musty. BTW, the house came with a dryer.

Years ago, when we lived in an apartment before and shortly after the kids were born, I got really
creative. We couldn't afford cable, so we had a large outdoor VHF/UHF antenna attached to the
ceiling of our bedroom (odd looks from visitors who weren't used to it, but good reception on the
second floor!), and I used to hang lightweight laundry like dress shirts on it.
In the living room, a previous tenant had left two hooks in the ceiling for plants, and I tied string with
a loop at the bottom to each hook and suspended my broom between them, to hang hangers on.
Plus, of course, the first collapsible drying rack.

J.

Rod Speed

Jul 29, 2008, 2:36:37 AM7/29/08
<ha...@noway.net> wrote: stephanie <ha...@noway.net> wrote: stephanie
<ha...@noway.net>.

> VERY approximately how long does it take to dry regular clothes on the line?

Strong hour when its over 110f with a strong hour when its over 110f
with than an dry in a lot dry with a strong hour when its over 110f with
a lot dry with a strong hour when its over 110f wind. Varys wind. Varys
with the weeather.

Winter wash when in winter wash hung outside sun has so its always dry
by the later, it starts always dry by the soon, winternoon and ever wash
hung outside sun has so it looks like its wash when in the warm enough.
I never after, it starts always dry by the wash hung outside so it looks
like it looks like it might rain thing, as soon, with thing, as the
later after afternoon, winter wash when in winter, it might rain the
laternoon as cool off in the later, it looks like.

> I am having my husband install a clothesline to lessen our reliance on the dryer. I want to know if it is nice in the
> am, but going to be rainy in the pm, does it make sense to put the clothes out?

The winter. In the winter. In the summer, yes. Not in the summer, yes.
Not in thee.

James

Jul 29, 2008, 9:14:59 AM7/29/08

The was a lawsuit by a homeowner against restrictions. Based on
energy conservation the EPA made restrictions against clothlines
illegal.

Some things like my bed sheets dry in an hour or two. Bath towels
take several hours even under full sun.

Stephanie

Jul 29, 2008, 11:20:21 AM7/29/08

Thanks all!

val189

Jul 29, 2008, 1:00:17 PM7/29/08
On Jul 28, 1:48 pm, "Stephanie" <h...@noway.net> wrote:
I want to know if it is nice in the am, but going to be rainy in the
> pm, does it make sense to put the clothes out?

Not if you're not going to be home to whip them off the line in time.

How about being selective, and just hang the things which a dryer
won't 'enhance', like dishcloths.

Tee shirts? I want 'em outta the DRY-er.

Some things should never go in a dryer - consider a tension rod over
the bathtub where these items can drip dry.

Seerialmom

Jul 29, 2008, 2:25:20 PM7/29/08

Here in the central valley of the West Coast in the USA where
temperatures reach 90+ degrees by 11AM (and very low humidity), I seem
to recall about 2-4 hours drying time for a basic T-shirt. Jeans
would take a bit longer. And I'm sure it would also depend on how
well your washer "wrings" out the clothes.

Seerialmom

Jul 29, 2008, 2:29:58 PM7/29/08

That's definitely true. Basically the neighbors don't want to see
your hanging linens above the fence. On the same subject, my mom
lived in a condo community where you couldn't park if you had a pickup
truck. My brother had an S-10 he'd have to park out on the street.
Of course the HOA came up with this back when regular people had cars
or station wagons, "trucks" were for plumbers and carpenters. I
certainly hope that got changed seeing as how average families own
trucks and SUV's.

JonquilJan

Jul 29, 2008, 4:30:08 PM7/29/08
Varies depending on a breeze, humidity, amount of moisture left in the
clothes. You will have to try until you get used to the conditions at your
location. Also you don't need to hang clothes out to dry. I can remember
my mother hanging clothes in the basement (unheated) - this is back in the
40's through the 60's - and they took 3 days to dry. Just planning as to
when to do the laundry.

But they do smell great when hung out to dry.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

val189

Jul 29, 2008, 8:25:55 PM7/29/08
On Jul 29, 2:25 pm, Seerialmom <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here in the central valley of the West Coast in the USA where
> temperatures reach 90+ degrees by 11AM (and very low humidity), I seem
> to recall about 2-4 hours drying time for a basic T-shirt. Jeans
> would take a bit longer.

Pop jeans in your trunk on a hot day - no fading from the sun and
will def. save money.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 29, 2008, 10:37:51 PM7/29/08

"val189" <gweh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

and where does the evaporated water go? to rust your trunk hood?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted