Guide to Outdoor Camping

mwmil...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2008, 12:08:35 PM4/29/08
Is there any sort of helpful printed or online guide to camping in the
outdoors? I haven't camped since the boy scouts, but would like to
return to the outdoors in a tent. Topics I am foggy on would include
hoisting a 'bear bag' to keep food items safe from wild animals, and
how to pitch the tent step by step, though I may need other help with
other topics, i forget just what it is to be camping after so long.

Any helpful input appreciated,
Matt

Rod Speed

Apr 29, 2008, 3:20:28 PM4/29/08
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there any sort of helpful printed or online guide to camping in the outdoors?

Corse there must be.

> I haven't camped since the boy scouts, but would like to return to
> the outdoors in a tent. Topics I am foggy on would include hoisting
> a 'bear bag' to keep food items safe from wild animals,

Makes more sense to keep the food in the car.

> and how to pitch the tent step by step,

Varys with the tent. With mine, you just lay it out flat on the
ground, put a peg at each corner, go inside with the pole, put
that up in the center. You can do that even in a howling gale.

> though I may need other help with other topics,
> i forget just what it is to be camping after so long.

You're unlikely to have forgotten if you do it again, unless the altzhiemers has got you.

mwmil...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2008, 4:01:57 PM4/29/08
On Apr 29, 2:20 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

> mwmiller...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Is there any sort of helpful printed or online guide to camping in the outdoors?
>
> Corse there must be.
>
> > I haven't camped since the boy scouts, but would like to return to
> > the outdoors in a tent.  Topics I am foggy on would include hoisting
> > a 'bear bag' to keep food items safe from wild animals,
>
> Makes more sense to keep the food in the car.

The car is like a candy wrapper for the average bear.

William Souden

Apr 29, 2008, 4:06:41 PM4/29/08
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2:20 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> mwmiller...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Is there any sort of helpful printed or online guide to camping in the outdoors?
>> Corse there must be.
>>
>>> I haven't camped since the boy scouts, but would like to return to
>>> the outdoors in a tent. Topics I am foggy on would include hoisting
>>> a 'bear bag' to keep food items safe from wild animals,
>> Makes more sense to keep the food in the car.
>
> The car is like a candy wrapper for the average bear.

In some national parks like Yosemite you can be fined for leaving
food in your car. What is not taken with you is to be put in bear proof
receptacles.

Rod Speed

Apr 29, 2008, 4:24:24 PM4/29/08
mwmil...@gmail.com wrote

>>> Is there any sort of helpful printed or online guide to camping in the outdoors?

>> Corse there must be.

>>> I haven't camped since the boy scouts, but would like to return
>>> to the outdoors in a tent. Topics I am foggy on would include
>>> hoisting a 'bear bag' to keep food items safe from wild animals,

>> Makes more sense to keep the food in the car.

> The car is like a candy wrapper for the average bear.

Bullshit.

William Souden

Apr 29, 2008, 4:40:59 PM4/29/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> mwmil...@gmail.com wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>>> mwmiller...@gmail.com wrote

>>> Corse there must be.

>>> Makes more sense to keep the food in the car.
>
>> The car is like a candy wrapper for the average bear.
>
> Bullshit.

You make it too easy,welfare boy.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E5DE1E3AF933A05752C1A961958260

In the past two months, bears have been popping out windows at an
alarming rate, crawling into as many as 15 cars a night and, if they
smell food in the trunks, ripping through the rear seats. Hondas, Dodge
Caravans and older Toyotas have been favorite targets, but one
late-model BMW convertible sustained $5,000 in damage.

The bears are not easily discouraged. Males at this time of year can
weigh over 350 pounds, females 250 pounds; some can stand 6 feet tall on
their hind legs. Rangers say there may be 350 to 550 bears in the park.
About 20 of them are considered ''campground bears,'' virtually addicted
to human food.

Some bears have broken into cars that contained no food. Rangers
speculate that the bears were drawn by leftover food smells, the scent
of perfume or suntan lotion. Perhaps -- the most worrisome possibility
-- the bears simply enjoyed it.

Rod Speed

Apr 29, 2008, 5:25:43 PM4/29/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> mwmil...@gmail.com wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The car is like a candy wrapper for the average bear.
>>
>> Bullshit.

> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E5DE1E3AF933A05752C1A961958260

> In the past two months, bears have been popping out windows at an
> alarming rate, crawling into as many as 15 cars a night and, if they
> smell food in the trunks, ripping through the rear seats. Hondas,
> Dodge Caravans and older Toyotas have been favorite targets, but one
> late-model BMW convertible sustained $5,000 in damage.

> The bears are not easily discouraged. Males at this time of year can
> weigh over 350 pounds, females 250 pounds; some can stand 6 feet tall
> on their hind legs. Rangers say there may be 350 to 550 bears in the
> park. About 20 of them are considered ''campground bears,'' virtually
> addicted to human food.

> Some bears have broken into cars that contained no food. Rangers
> speculate that the bears were drawn by leftover food smells, the scent
> of perfume or suntan lotion. Perhaps -- the most worrisome possibility
> -- the bears simply enjoyed it.

Nothing anything like a CANDY WRAPPER, you stupid race track bum.

William Souden

Apr 29, 2008, 5:39:46 PM4/29/08

A figure of speech which went over your head.
Welfare boy, do they show the Kentucky Derby on Australian TV? My
guess is one of the racing channels has it. Take a look this weekend at
the crowd and tell me if you think they look like bums.

William Souden
sales fool/race track bum

Gordon

Apr 29, 2008, 11:37:36 PM4/29/08