How to choose a nursing home?

Ji Soo Yi

May 15, 2008, 12:43:08 PM5/15/08
// Sorry for cross-posting

My name is Ji Soo Yi, and I am a Ph.D. student in the Health Systems
Institute at Georgia Tech. Our research team and I have developed a
tool to help people choose a nursing home. I wrote this message in
this newsgroup since I believe that some of people here might be
interested in this project.

As many of you already know, choosing a nursing home is an emotion-
laden, difficult decision that can be often made under enormous stress
and time pressure. To make matters worse, there are so many things to
consider in choosing a good one among so many nursing homes. I noticed
that many people were misguided and ended up choosing a bad one for
their loved ones even though there is so much information on the
Internet these days.

Thus, we have developed a tool to help people crunch numbers and
information, so that they can make a better decision. We tried to use
some cutting-edge interactive technologies, called information
visualization and make the tool easy to use. However, we have focused
too much on new technologies, so we might fail to see the perspectives
of the real decision makers. Thus, we need your help. Please let us
have your opinions and insights, so that we can make this tool better.

In order to collect your opinions more effectively, we made the
following separate website:

http://nhc.hsi.gatech.edu/

This website has a couple of surveys to collect your experiences and
stories about how to choose the best nursing home. It also has a small
experiment that allows you to experience the tool and let us have your
feedback on how it works for you. Anybody who has previous experience
in choosing a nursing home, or anticipates having a need to do so in
the future is welcomed. It will take about 30 minutes to complete the
surveys and experiment.

Further more, if you complete the surveys and experiment, we would
like to provide you with a user account that allows you to use the
current version of our tool, which has the following complete
features.

1) An interactive nursing home locators: you can find nursing homes in
your neighborhoods with a zip code or street address.
2) Quality information of about 16,000 nursing homes: the website
provides the quality information of real nursing homes in the US.
3) The complete version of the visual tool: you can utilize the
complete version of the visual tool you just experienced.

It would provide you with actual helps to make a better and informed
decision, and you could have observe the evolution of the website
nurtured by your feedback and input.

Please also feel free to forward this message to someone who may be
interested in this study as well.

If you have any other questions, please email me.

Thank you very much once again for your time and consideration!!!

Best regards,

Ji Soo Yi
Ph.D. Candidate
Health Systems Institute
Georgia Institute of Technology

Al Bundy

May 15, 2008, 7:28:35 PM5/15/08

Ji Soo Yi wrote:
> // Sorry for cross-posting
>
> My name is Ji Soo Yi, and I am a Ph.D. student in the Health Systems
> Institute at Georgia Tech. Our research team and I have developed a
> tool to help people choose a nursing home. I wrote this message in
> this newsgroup since I believe that some of people here might be
> interested in this project.
>
> As many of you already know, choosing a nursing home is an emotion-
> laden, difficult decision that can be often made under enormous stress
> and time pressure. To make matters worse, there are so many things to
> consider in choosing a good one among so many nursing homes. I noticed
> that many people were misguided and ended up choosing a bad one for
> their loved ones even though there is so much information on the
> Internet these days.
>
> Thus, we have developed a tool to help people crunch numbers and
> information, so that they can make a better decision. We tried to use
> some cutting-edge interactive technologies, called information
> visualization and make the tool easy to use. However, we have focused
> too much on new technologies, so we might fail to see the perspectives
> of the real decision makers. Thus, we need your help. Please let us
> have your opinions and insights, so that we can make this tool better.
>
> In order to collect your opinions more effectively, we made the
> following separate website:

Gee, Yi
I just did a quick GIS on nursing homes and found all kinds of tips
and ratings on all 16,000. Why would anybody need to spend 30 minutes
going through your survey just to view your illustrious creation in
its beta form?
Splain that to me, Lucy.
You are free to waste your time. Don't waste ours too.