Panasonic KX-6051B - base speaker noise

P.Schuman

Dec 26, 2007, 1:31:48 PM12/26/07
Just picked up a new Panasonic TG6054B 5.8Ghz cordless phone system
with 4 handsets (KX-TGA600) and the single answering base unit.... KX-6051

Wonder if there are any other more appropriate newsgroups for "cordless phones"
?

It works great.... the feature I wanted was the ability to have Caller ID
match up to an internal phone book entry, like on a cell phone.
We noticed that more and more calls were coming from cell phones,
and we just couldn't remember everyone's number as it appears on CID,
and the "names" displayed were just generic "cellular" in most cases.

Anyway - the system works great.... there are some minor issues,
like when copying the phonebook entries to other handsets,
you don't have to the option to walk thru all the other handsets at once,
but must walk thru the entire keyboard process for each.

Recently - (reason for posting)
noticed something "weird" on the small base unit.
When using any handset...
the "speaker" on the base unit has a random spurt of raspy sound
like when someone talks loud on the handset,
and it is only for a split second (peak)
then comes out on the base speaker.....
It's random, and for just a split second....

Don K

Dec 28, 2007, 1:40:54 AM12/28/07
"P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message

> Just picked up a new Panasonic TG6054B 5.8Ghz cordless phone system
> with 4 handsets (KX-TGA600) and the single answering base unit.... KX-6051
>
> Wonder if there are any other more appropriate newsgroups for "cordless phones"
> ?
>
> It works great.... the feature I wanted was the ability to have Caller ID
> match up to an internal phone book entry, like on a cell phone.
> We noticed that more and more calls were coming from cell phones,
> and we just couldn't remember everyone's number as it appears on CID,
> and the "names" displayed were just generic "cellular" in most cases.
>
> Anyway - the system works great.... there are some minor issues,
> like when copying the phonebook entries to other handsets,
> you don't have to the option to walk thru all the other handsets at once,
> but must walk thru the entire keyboard process for each.

Are you sure about that?
I have an older version and I can copy the entire phonebook from
any handset to any other handset with a few keystrokes.
Menu (down-down-down-down)
copy phonebook (select)
copy one item (down)
copy all items (select)
enter extension (1,2,3)

> Recently - (reason for posting)
> noticed something "weird" on the small base unit.
> When using any handset...
> the "speaker" on the base unit has a random spurt of raspy sound
> like when someone talks loud on the handset,
> and it is only for a split second (peak)
> then comes out on the base speaker.....
> It's random, and for just a split second....

I've had no problem like that.
Try toggling the "voice enhancer" on or off.

Don

Rod Speed

Dec 28, 2007, 2:39:00 AM12/28/07
Don K <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
> "P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message
>> Just picked up a new Panasonic TG6054B 5.8Ghz cordless phone system
>> with 4 handsets (KX-TGA600) and the single answering base unit....
>> KX-6051 Wonder if there are any other more appropriate newsgroups for
>> "cordless phones" ?
>>
>> It works great.... the feature I wanted was the ability to have
>> Caller ID match up to an internal phone book entry, like on a cell
>> phone. We noticed that more and more calls were coming from cell phones,
>> and we just couldn't remember everyone's number as it appears on CID,
>> and the "names" displayed were just generic "cellular" in most cases.
>>
>> Anyway - the system works great.... there are some minor issues,
>> like when copying the phonebook entries to other handsets,
>> you don't have to the option to walk thru all the other handsets at
>> once, but must walk thru the entire keyboard process for each.
>
> Are you sure about that?
> I have an older version and I can copy the entire phonebook from
> any handset to any other handset with a few keystrokes.
> Menu (down-down-down-down)
> copy phonebook (select)
> copy one item (down)
> copy all items (select)
> enter extension (1,2,3)

It wants to copy to all handsets, not just one handset.

P.Schuman

Dec 30, 2007, 2:43:41 PM12/30/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Don K <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
>> "P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message
>>> Just picked up a new Panasonic TG6054B 5.8Ghz cordless phone system
>>> with 4 handsets (KX-TGA600) and the single answering base unit....
>>> KX-6051 Wonder if there are any other more appropriate newsgroups for
>>> "cordless phones" ?
>>>
>>> It works great.... the feature I wanted was the ability to have
>>> Caller ID match up to an internal phone book entry, like on a cell
>>> phone. We noticed that more and more calls were coming from cell phones,
>>> and we just couldn't remember everyone's number as it appears on CID,
>>> and the "names" displayed were just generic "cellular" in most cases.
>>>
>>> Anyway - the system works great.... there are some minor issues,
>>> like when copying the phonebook entries to other handsets,
>>> you don't have to the option to walk thru all the other handsets at
>>> once, but must walk thru the entire keyboard process for each.
>>
>> Are you sure about that?
>> I have an older version and I can copy the entire phonebook from
>> any handset to any other handset with a few keystrokes.
>> Menu (down-down-down-down)
>> copy phonebook (select)
>> copy one item (down)
>> copy all items (select)
>> enter extension (1,2,3)

wants to copy to all handsets, not just one handset at a time..
CORRECT

>>> Recently - (reason for posting)
>>> noticed something "weird" on the small base unit.
>>> When using any handset...
>>> the "speaker" on the base unit has a random spurt of raspy sound
>>> like when someone talks loud on the handset,
>>> and it is only for a split second (peak)
>>> then comes out on the base speaker.....
>>> It's random, and for just a split second....
>>
>> I've had no problem like that.
>> Try toggling the "voice enhancer" on or off.
>>
>> Don

now - the random raspy interference is not happening right now,

but.... when ANY handset goes on TALK, there is a "speaker pop" on the base
unit.
Then when ANY handset is turned OFF, there is another "speaker pop",
and then when the radio connection is idled, about 4 seconds later, there is
another speaker pop....
SO - when any of the 4 handsets are being used, the base unit emits these
"speaker pops".

Lastly, the base unit ringer sounds like someone gargling....

Will probably contact Panasonic after the holdidays quiet down...

P.Schuman

Dec 30, 2007, 5:03:08 PM12/30/07
just getting a couple more searchable Panasonic cordless phone model number
tags....
KX-TG6054B KX-TG6051B KX-TG6052B KX-TG6053B

"P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message

> Just picked up a new Panasonic KX-TG6054B 5.8Ghz cordless phone system

> with 4 handsets (KX-TGA600) and the single answering base unit....

> KX-TG6051

Don K

Dec 30, 2007, 11:13:07 PM12/30/07

> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Are you sure about that?
>>> I have an older version and I can copy the entire phonebook from
>>> any handset to any other handset with a few keystrokes.
>>> Menu (down-down-down-down)
>>> copy phonebook (select)
>>> copy one item (down)
>>> copy all items (select)
>>> enter extension (1,2,3)
>
> wants to copy to all handsets, not just one handset at a time..
> CORRECT

It's quite reasonable that it is not configured to work that way.

There is apparently some "handshaking" going on when each
phonebook is being updated. That is, the remote sends back
a signal that it has received the update ok. I base this on the
fact that if a remote phonebook memory gets filled, I get
that message back that the remote memory is full.

If all phonebook memories were updated simultaneously
there would have to be a more complex (i.e. costly) multiplexing
scheme to enable a simultaneous update with 2-way handshake.

> now - the random raspy interference is not happening right now,
>
> but.... when ANY handset goes on TALK, there is a "speaker pop" on the base unit.
> Then when ANY handset is turned OFF, there is another "speaker pop",
> and then when the radio connection is idled, about 4 seconds later, there is another
> speaker pop....
> SO - when any of the 4 handsets are being used, the base unit emits these "speaker
> pops".
>
> Lastly, the base unit ringer sounds like someone gargling....
>
> Will probably contact Panasonic after the holdidays quiet down...

Yeah, unfortunately it sounds like a defective base unit that will have
to be replaced. Probably something involving a noisy signal switch
or squelch circuit is defective.

Don

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2007, 1:06:59 AM12/31/07

He didnt say simultaneously. Its perfectly possible to do automatically
what he has to do manually, copy to each handset in turn automatically.

Not a shred of rocket science required whatever.

And it would be even better to be able to replace the handset
phonebook with the new phone book if thats what the user wants
to do, so it cant overflow unless the handsets are different too.