I just discovered this newsgroup. Need hair shampoo hints.

J. Harris

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

I just discovered this newsgroup today. I've already got some good tips
from it.

Can anyone tell me how much shampoo is too much. I have a child with
long hair it takes her forever to wash her hair. I think she uses
too much shampoo, thinking more will get her hair clearner.

Does anyone deliute shampoo to strech it?

Greeting from the Louisville, KY area. We are having a heat wave today
is will be at least 73. Hoory

Jean

--
J. Harris

r...@usa.pipeline.com

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and not
name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a beautician.
She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points out
that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's needed!

Any other thoughts on these points?
Helen

Cazares

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
On Feb 24, 1996 16:50:00 in article <Re: I just discovered this newsgroup.
Need hair shampoo hints.>, 'r...@usa.pipeline.com(r...@usa.pipeline.com)'
wrote:

>Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
>about the expensive shampoos.

That was a fun segment, especially where they went around comparing
expensive salon "magic formulas" with supermarket/drug store products.

One point I wish someone had raised about shampoos - the ingredients
are quite the same as dishwashing liquid. Take a look at the cost
difference - it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, I developed contact dermatitis from a couple of
cheapie brands I picked up for $4 a gallon at Price Club. <G> I fixed it
with a Suave shampoo that declared it was meant to remove gunk left by
other shampoos. It worked as well as the Neutrogena shampoo I used to use.
That was a hard decision: shall I pay $1 for a bottle of Suave, or $7 for a
bottle of Neutrogena half the size?

V. Goss

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
>In an article: r...@usa.pipeline.com(r...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
>
>Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
>about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and not
>name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a beautician.
>She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points out
>that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's needed!
>
>Any other thoughts on these points?
>Helen

Helen,
you are wise to shop for ingredients, I do the same thing. But please
*do not dilute the shampoos* to save money. All products
contain preservatives, and by diluting them you could be putting
your health at risk; ie. eye/skin infections. The reason that I
know these is that I used to work as a cosmetic chemist. A product like
shampoo is a good medium for bacteria since it contains cellullose.
If you still insist on diluting the shampoo do so at each use,
but do not leave diluted shampoo standing in your bathroom.

--
Vesna E. Goss
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sara VanLooy

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
r...@usa.pipeline.com (r...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
> Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
> about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and not
> name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a beautician.
> She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points out
> that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's needed!

A few years back Consumers Reports did a study of shampoos. They
determined that one of the most effective, cheapest things toouse was
dilute dish detergent. The only difference between shampoo and dish soap
is the fancy perfumes.

Remember, most of the other stuff is padding. I laugh every time I see
those ads that talk about "Feeding your hair vitamins it needs to make it
shiny and healthy." The only way you could feed your hair vitamins to
make it stronger is if you took vitamin pills while it was being formed
in your follicles. Once its out of your scalp, its DEAD. Rubbing
vitamins on it is just silly.

sus...@usa.pipeline.com

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
On Feb 24, 1996 16:50:00 in article <Re: I just discovered this newsgroup.
Need hair shampoo hints.>

Consumer Reports did an article on shampoo a year or two ago. Your local
library should have it.

Susan Hagadorn

Kathryn J Litherland

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
ba...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (V. Goss) writes:

>>In an article: r...@usa.pipeline.com(r...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
>>
>>Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
>>about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and not
>>name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a beautician.
>>She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points out
>>that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's needed!
>>

>>Any other thoughts on these points?
>>Helen

>Helen,
>you are wise to shop for ingredients, I do the same thing. But please
>*do not dilute the shampoos* to save money. All products
>contain preservatives, and by diluting them you could be putting
>your health at risk; ie. eye/skin infections. The reason that I
>know these is that I used to work as a cosmetic chemist. A product like
>shampoo is a good medium for bacteria since it contains cellullose.
>If you still insist on diluting the shampoo do so at each use,
>but do not leave diluted shampoo standing in your bathroom.

Why would diluted shampoo be more likely to develop bacteria than undiluted?
Obviously, the concentration of whatever preservative is not going to be
as strong, but then neither is the concentration of the bacteria-growing
medium.
--
Kathy Litherland | People make their own history, |
Dept. of Anthropology | but they do not make it exactly | No hacemos el amor;

ariadna a solovyova

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96

>Remember, most of the other stuff is padding. I laugh every time I see
>those ads that talk about "Feeding your hair vitamins it needs to make it
>shiny and healthy." The only way you could feed your hair vitamins to
>make it stronger is if you took vitamin pills while it was being formed
>in your follicles. Once its out of your scalp, its DEAD. Rubbing
>vitamins on it is just silly.

No, it is isn't. Topical hair treatments (herbs, honey, eggs, etc.) have
been used in all cultures for ages. They make a huge difference. Your
skin can absorb nutrients; and many times applying them externally is
more efficient than increasing the amount you eat.
Ari

r...@usa.pipeline.com

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
I appreciate the warning about diluting shampoos because of the possibility
of bacteria growth. I'll refrain from diluting the whole bottle and keep
reading for more info.
Helen

Bev

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
ba...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA wrote:
> you are wise to shop for ingredients, I do the same thing. But please
> *do not dilute the shampoos* to save money. All products

> If you still insist on diluting the shampoo do so at each use,
> but do not leave diluted shampoo standing in your bathroom.

Why bother to dilute it at all? Why not just use less shampoo (cheap
liquid detergent, actually) and more water on your hair?

Bev bas...@ktb.net
"I drive entirely too fast to be worried about the food I eat."
-- M. Carlton

Teri Miller

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <4gnfjo$6...@news1.usa.pipeline.com>,

r...@usa.pipeline.com <r...@usa.pipeline.com> wrote:
>Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
>about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and not
>name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a beautician.
>She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points out
>that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's needed!

At the risk of having Proctor and Gamble come and have me arrested,
I'll admit that I have used Orvus on my hair.

It's main ingredient seems to be sodium lauryl sulfate, which is,
as I recall, the main ingredient in shampoos. The difference is
that a little Orvus goes an amazingly long way, and it rinses out
like a dream.

I stopped using it because it got my hair too clean. I need the
extra conditioners and such that other shampoos have. I find that
a shampoo with lots of conditioner, like Pert, is best for my hair.

I have been using the rest of the jug of Orvus (available at feed
and pet stores) for washing quilts, washing pets, and washing
fabrics.

A biochemist I know says that it is a very strong detergent, that
is harsh to proteins, so I can't recommend it for using on your
self or your hair.

However, due to my experiment, nowadays, when I'm looking for a
shampoo with lots of cleaning power and little conditioner, I
look for sodium lauryl sulfate high up in the ingredients list.

Teri

--
Teri Miller sha...@rahul.net
I believe that bartering is a system where both parties win.

Phyllis Harbst

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
One thing I've done to reduce the amount of shampoo my kids use was to
put it in a pump bottle. The boys use about 1/2 pump and my daughter
(long hair) uses a full pump. I've been through several brands, the
cheapest and longest lasting has been Mane 'n' Tail $6.00 for 32 oz.
lasted for 6 mos. no problems on the kids hair, but did change the
texture/tint of my colored hair so I quit using it. I still haven't
found a good economical brand of shampoo for all of us, but I did find
a nice conditioner. It is called Cholesterol, by Le Kare (possibly Le
Kair) it comes in a 16 oz. jar, is orange in color, you only need a
little and it lasted 5 months for me. Just $1.97 at Wal Mart. It
contains several oils and keratin protein. I wouldn't recommend using
it often if you have oily hair, but for my course, curly hair it works
great.

Lance Voss

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <Dn8us...@iglou.com>, tu...@iglou.iglou.com says...
We use a 50/50 mix of water and shampoo and it works just fine. Just
remember to put it in a small opening, squirt type bottle, rather than a
large opening, pour type. The dilute shampoo comes out in a rush from a
pour type bottle and it won't help your frugality if your daughter just
uses twice as much.

lance Voss

Lance Voss

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
In article <DnAnL...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ba...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
says...

>>In an article: r...@usa.pipeline.com(r...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
>>
>>Last night 20/20 did a piece on hair products and debunked all the hype
>>about the expensive shampoos. They suggest to shop "ingredients" and
not
>>name,scent or price. I dilute shampoo at the suggestion of a
beautician.
>>She said that shampoo is very powerful and can be diluted. 20/20 points
out
>>that a sudsing agent is added because we like it not because it's
needed!

>>Any other thoughts on these points?
>>Helen
>
>Helen,
>you are wise to shop for ingredients, I do the same thing. But please
>*do not dilute the shampoos* to save money. All products
>contain preservatives, and by diluting them you could be putting
>your health at risk; ie. eye/skin infections. The reason that I
>know these is that I used to work as a cosmetic chemist. A product like
>shampoo is a good medium for bacteria since it contains cellullose.
>If you still insist on diluting the shampoo do so at each use,
>but do not leave diluted shampoo standing in your bathroom.
>
>--
>Vesna E. Goss
>Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Interesting. I didn't know this.

We pour the full strength stuff out of a big bottle into a small one for
diluting and the diluted shampoo rarely lasts more than a week or ten
days. Is this a short enough time? We've never had any problem.

Lance Voss

tsa...@netcom.com

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
In article <asolovyo.825272626@nickel>,
^^^^^

>more efficient than increasing the amount you eat.
>Ari

Sure. Skin is ALIVE. Hair is DEAD. Nuff said.

You would get the same effect claimed by shampoos, if you rubbed it on
linoleum. You cannot rejuvenate the dead.

Ellyn Whitehouse

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
Teri Miller <sha...@rahul.net> wrote:

>At the risk of having Proctor and Gamble come and have me arrested,
>I'll admit that I have used Orvus on my hair.
>
>It's main ingredient seems to be sodium lauryl sulfate, which is,
>as I recall, the main ingredient in shampoos. The difference is
>that a little Orvus goes an amazingly long way, and it rinses out
>like a dream.
>
>I stopped using it because it got my hair too clean. I need the
>extra conditioners and such that other shampoos have. I find that
>a shampoo with lots of conditioner, like Pert, is best for my hair.
>
>I have been using the rest of the jug of Orvus (available at feed
>and pet stores) for washing quilts, washing pets, and washing
>fabrics.
>
>A biochemist I know says that it is a very strong detergent, that
>is harsh to proteins, so I can't recommend it for using on your
>self or your hair.
>
>However, due to my experiment, nowadays, when I'm looking for a
>shampoo with lots of cleaning power and little conditioner, I
>look for sodium lauryl sulfate high up in the ingredients list.
>
>Teri

Orvus is great! Use it to bathe my horses. You can add a little vinegar to
shampoo to make sure it all rinses out. It's far more economical to order it
from Jeffer's Vet Supply (I am not associated with them, despite the fact that I
recommend them constantly.) You can get a 7.5 pound jug of the Orvus paste for
$12.95 from Jeffers (plus shipping, which isn't too bad). Just get a little on
your fingertips and you're set. You can use the Orvus as a base to create your
own shampoos.

A friend of mine uses Mane 'N Tail shampoo that she orders from Jeffers. It
smells a little like apples...very fresh. You can get a gallon of the stuff for
$10.50 plus shipping from Jeffers. They now sell it in Wal-Mart, etc as a human
shampoo for *much* more than Jeffers does for their economy jug. I plan to order
some as soon as my present supply dwindles.

My problem is finding a hair conditioner that works. I have long, thick hair
(saves me money because I don't visit the beauty parlor...just have my hubster
trim it for me). The *only* conditioner that works on my hair is Infusium.
Anyone have any ideas on how to make my own or get something just as effective
for less money? I am considering trying the Mane 'N Tail conditioner (I should
have a sample coming from the company, so we'll see.)

Well, sorry to go on...would like to hear other's comments!

EW

Marsh

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
If their is a Canned Foods or Grocery Outlet in your area, they sell
toiletries at amazingly low prices - I haven't paid more the 1.50 for a
bottle of shampoo in ages (and that was for the good stuff - Vidal
Sassoon I think). Most prices run about .99 for the usual 16 oz.