When a company cancels your order & raises the price

OhioGuy

Jan 31, 2008, 5:14:46 PM1/31/08
Back on January 18, I placed an order for a 25 pack of Memorex DVD +RW disks
from this company:

http://www.tvsdepot.com/product_72952_.html

Total cost was $10.99, with free shipping.

When I got back from Florida yesterday, I found a cancellation email, with
no reason for the cancellation. I went to the website and found the same
item in stock, but now being sold for $19 instead of the $10.99. I was able
to add it to my cart and begin the checkout process. Availability shows as
"yes" on the website.

I called to complain and ask that they reinstate my order at the original
price. I waited on hold about 10 minutes, then the CSR I talked to claimed
that the disks are no longer in stock. I couldn't get anywhere from that
point, and eventually had to hang up the phone with the issue unresolved.

I'm pretty sure they are lying about the product not being in stock, and
perhaps they just didn't want to sell it to me for the advertised price
after they decided a price raise was in order?

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but am wondering if there are better
ways to get a company to honor prices when they sell something to you,
cancel the sale, then they have the same items in stock at higher prices.

OhioGuy

Jan 31, 2008, 5:14:53 PM1/31/08

George Grapman

Jan 31, 2008, 5:49:53 PM1/31/08

You are in control. Stop doing business with them and let them( not
the customer service rep but someone higher up) know why.

Al Bundy

Jan 31, 2008, 9:26:14 PM1/31/08

George, you are right and you mean well, but this is Ohio Guy. He is
NOT in control. He's still looking for potato chips for 2¢ per ounce
like he says he saw in Canada or trying to get a free fill on his fire
extinguisher from the garage sale. There is just no telling what he
ordered or what he said to the CSR.

Having said the above, the company with the DVDs might have had a one
time closeout purchase at a discount that they were willing to put on
sale for $10.99. They may have had to restock (same brand) at a
higher cost and pass this cost on to current customers. Therefore,
they raised the prices.

A used care salesman would rather take off his plaid coat and stomp on
it with his loafers in a puddle than have to negotiate with Ohio Guy.

PS. My local Dollar Tree sells these DVDs 2/1$, which is still pretty
good.

skar...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2008, 4:53:20 PM2/1/08

> Anyway, I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but am wondering if there are better
> ways to get a company to honor prices when they sell something to you,
> cancel the sale, then they have the same items in stock at higher prices.

Apparently there is some fineprint that allows them to do that. If you
search on the Web, you will find many instances like this.

Technically, it is quite difficult (probably impossible) to track
every order against inventory. This is mainly because nobody can tell
how long a customer keeps the item in the cart before really checking
out. If they "lock" every item because someone has put it in a cart,
they can'd do much business. First checkout, first served.

Don't get me wrong; I am not taking their side. I know how you feel;
it has happened to me also.

Regarding buying cheap DVD RW discs (at a dollar store), I would
suggest caution. I have learnt recently that DVD media life is very
limited (due to the organic dye they use for data storage) and it is
less than a couple of years for cheap ones. There are many articles on
the Web about this. If your use is data backup and if you perform
backup frequently, then cheap DVDs may be OK.

SpammersDie

Feb 1, 2008, 6:36:50 PM2/1/08

<skar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Anyway, I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but am wondering if there are
>> better
>> ways to get a company to honor prices when they sell something to you,
>> cancel the sale, then they have the same items in stock at higher prices.
>
> Apparently there is some fineprint that allows them to do that. If you
> search on the Web, you will find many instances like this.
>
> Technically, it is quite difficult (probably impossible) to track
> every order against inventory. This is mainly because nobody can tell
> how long a customer keeps the item in the cart before really checking
> out. If they "lock" every item because someone has put it in a cart,
> they can'd do much business. First checkout, first served.

The way I read the OP, the vendor cancelled after checkout had successfully
completed. So this isn't any excuse.

And I don't buy that it's so hard to come up with a reasonable
timeout/abandonment-detection policy either so there's no excuse not to lock
items placed in a shopping cart. B&M retailers have coped easily with this
for years - people expect that other shoppers won't swipe items out of their
shopping carts even while they also know they can't abandon a cart full of
stuff for hours and expect it to still be there.

skar...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2008, 5:24:20 PM2/4/08
On Feb 1, 5:36 pm, "SpammersDie" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:
> And I don't buy that it's so hard to come up with a reasonable
> timeout/abandonment-detection policy either ...

Consider a scenario in which you are the store owner and your vendor
tells you "the shelf life of the DVD spindles is expiring today,
please sell them off at 60% discount by tonight and we will send you a
new shipment tomorrow." You slash the price for the 5 spindles in your
stock, and the online deal sites (such as edealinfo.com) advertise the
sale.

Customers flock to your site and I am one of them. I first put the
item in the cart and go to Amazon to read the reviews. I spend a few
minutes on Amazon, and then decide not to buy. I just kill my browser
(your Web application won't even know of my intention and waits until
time-out occurs.)

Couple of other customers purchase the item (checkout) and then go to
Amazon. They see the bad reviews, go back to your site and cancel the
order.

You see, with all these variables, in view of profitability, you would
rather oversell and then cancel the order on some customers. Just like
airline companies oversell and bump their customers. Completely
ethical way of doing business may leave you with inventory that you
may have to write-off.

I agree that it is a bad practice and they might lose some customers
that way. It looks like it is the calculated risk they are willing to
take in view of profitability.

era...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2008, 12:29:49 AM2/5/08
ave u heard/read of "urine therapy" on google.com whose supporters
claims it reverses genetic illnesses as well as aids.cancer. ask your
doctor and the supporters of "urine therapy" or drinking one's own pee
whether it is good for children.

erach