Problems signing up with Citibank online banking

AllstonPar...@hotmail.com

Jul 4, 2007, 4:39:48 PM7/4/07
So I recently decided to break my never-click-on-banner-ads rule and
clicked on an ad for a Citibank web-based bank account that appeared
when I was logged into my Citibank credit card's site. They were
offering a $50 bonus for signing up for their Ultimate Savings
Account, which was supposed to have no fees and no minimums, and I
have no complaints about their credit card (except that they reduced
their cash back offer for supermarkets, drug stores, and gas from 5%
to 2%).

I thought it would be a straightforward web-based application process,
but two weeks later, the account still isn't working properly. After
I applied, the website said I had to print and fax a signature card
and a copy of a utility bill, and that they'd call me to verify my
phone number. I knew right away that both of these steps would cause
big problems.

I faxed the stuff right away. A week and a half later, I hadn't
gotten the phone call, and I got a welcome package in the mail that
said I still needed to fax the signature card. I called them up, and
since it was outside business hours, I could only reach their call
center in India, who could tell me that something was blocked on my
account but they couldn't see why. They told me I had to call the
direct banking number during business hours. (I've never reached an
Indian call center that could accomplish anything I needed.)

So I called back during the workday, and they said I had to fax the
signature card again, as well as a copy of my driver's license. I
asked how I could find out if they actually got the fax this time, and
they said it takes them 3 days to process the fax and I should call
back then. They also said I could expect the phone call the next day,
but it still hasn't happened. And they wouldn't let me give them my
work phone number so I could actually be there to get the call (even
though I could have given them that number in the first place if I'd
known).

In short, don't use Citibank's web-based bank. It's far more hassle
than ING Direct or Emigrant Direct (which was a bit of a hassle
itself).

-Apr

http://www.crhut.com

Jul 5, 2007, 12:46:52 AM7/5/07

5% cash back? Wow! Seriously, the best I got was 2% (not from
CitiBank). I wouldn't go too harsh on them as probably they sent you
the package before they received your signature. I hope that they
resolve your problem and you'd get your $50 (everyone loves such
offers).

http://www.crhut.com - The Credit Repair Hut

thai...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2007, 6:36:06 PM7/23/07

Hello,

I have had the same problems. I started to open my account with
Citibank by phone. It has now been nearly a month and my account is
still not activated. I mailed them my last two pay stubs, phone bill,
signature card and initial deposit on July 5. After a week my account
was still not activated. I called. This time they said my paystubs
(from a large State University) could be verified. Now they wanted a
letter on letterhead from my employer. So called HR and they gave me
that. I faxed it on Monday July 16. Two days later still no
activation. Call on Wed, they say 24 to 48 hours. 24 hours later no
luck. Call again on Friday. Now they say it takes two to three
business days. Monday I talk to Customer Service in India. I get
the fellow to promise me that the account will be activated by
evening. He talks to his supervisor and promises me that it will be.
I call a 4:00 to find out the status. Why haven't I been called? I
had been told that before activation that they would call me and give
me an activation code, which I must then call Citibank and by phone
tell them my activation code. I get customer service in the US. They
do some checking. The girl then tells me she has "Vinnie" with Direct
Banking on the line. The call is transferred. I say Hi to Vinnie.
Then I get cut off. I know in my heart that the reason I got cut off
was that it was two minutes until 5:00 PM and Vinnie just wanted to go
home. I called back hoping to reach someone in the US Center (San
Antonio). No luck my call goes to India. This time I get Akash.
Akash verifies my info and says my account will be activated tonight.
I don't believe him. I think he justs wants to get ready and pretend
everything is taken care of. Its not ok. I am PO'd. Stay away from
Citibank unless you have at least 30 days to wait to get your account
open. Dang I hate them! This has caused me so many problems.