My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Ignoramus6369

May 12, 2007, 12:09:54 PM5/12/07
It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Leo Lichtman

May 12, 2007, 12:24:05 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" wrote: (clip) What would be a sensible thing to do in these
lousy circumstances?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ask to see their business license, and start dialing city hall on the cell
phone. The problem is, the same brain that got your neighbor into that
situation is trying to get him out of it. The best way to get out of
trouble is to stay out in the first place.

Jeff Wisnia

May 12, 2007, 12:43:02 PM5/12/07
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

At my age, my rules for a happy life are:

1. Never stand when you can sit.

2. Never pass up an opportunity to take a leak.

3. never trust a fart.

4. Never waste an erection.

and most importantly...

5. Never pay tradesmen in advance.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

tra...@optonline.net

May 12, 2007, 12:53:03 PM5/12/07
> The speed of light is 1.98*1014 fathoms per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

And I think #5 is key here, unless he was gonna have sex with the
contractor too, then #4 would apply.

These driveby seal coat guys are well known for having a high
percentage of scammers. I would never use one period, because even
if you pay them at the end, you don't know what they put down. And
you can bet many of them use the cheapest crap that will look good
right after it goes on, but might not last a month.

Terry

May 12, 2007, 12:56:28 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:43:02 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
<jwi...@conversent.net> wrote:

>At my age, my rules for a happy life are:
>

>4. Never waste an erection.
>
>and most importantly...

I think number 4 would be the most important. I can't figure out how
to win a race with a pee hard back to bed.

Toller

May 12, 2007, 12:51:53 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.

Well, paying in advance was his first problem. After that she is pretty
well lost, assuming they are con men.

Years ago I hired a reputable landscaper to put in a 6 course retaining
wall. They put in 5 courses and said they were done. When I complained he
said he had used up all his budgeted materials, so there was nothing he
could do. I was going to sue him, and I would have certainly won, but my
wife begged me not to. It was very painful to let that go.

Nick Mueller

May 12, 2007, 1:30:06 PM5/12/07
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

> What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

Make an On-Topic posting in the right group?

Nick

Jeff Dege

May 12, 2007, 2:39:14 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:43:02 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> 5. Never pay tradesmen in advance.

If a contractor is doing work that requires him to make significant
material purchases, paying half, or paying for the materials, is perfectly
reasonable.

--
As he backed away from Maryann, away from his rope, away from his
intentions to harm her, and, hopefully, away from his image of himself

Mike Dobony

May 12, 2007, 4:29:58 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a signed
contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling the police.

Gene S. Berkowitz

May 12, 2007, 4:33:13 PM5/12/07
In article <j7KdnevMNrNPe9jb...@giganews.com>,
ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid says...

> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.

Gee, sounds like they're new at this scam; if they finished half, you'd
think they would be trying to extort another $175. Fifty bucks is only
slightly more than a decent tip.

--Gene

Rocky

May 12, 2007, 4:41:25 PM5/12/07

Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

jJim McLaughlin

May 12, 2007, 4:47:34 PM5/12/07

Dial 911.

Anthony

May 12, 2007, 4:52:09 PM5/12/07
Ignoramus6369 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in

> What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

Get license plate, start dialing police, letting them know you are doing
it. They would most likely finish it without the extra money to keep the
police out of the area. When they leave, call the police anyway and
report the scam and license so the guy a block down doesn't get taken.

Rule #1. Always get it in writing.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Steve B

May 12, 2007, 5:20:56 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

Swallow hard, take down the license plate number, and walk away a wiser man.
Then get on the phone and start calling local authorities.

Steve

Ignoramus6369

May 12, 2007, 5:35:39 PM5/12/07

Would you think that the police would have any interest?

Steve B

May 12, 2007, 5:40:06 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

It depends on the jurisdiction. In some places, they might consider it
grounds for fraud. In others, they would refer you to the proper civil
channel to connect to. And then lots of time, these guys are just "casing"
and return later to pick up loose items at houses where they know what kind
of car is parked in the driveway when someone is home, whether or not you
have a dog, etc. It really all depends on the local authorities, and you'd
have a better chance in a small town where the police are less busy than in
a big city.

HTH

Steve

tra...@optonline.net

May 12, 2007, 6:15:49 PM5/12/07
On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" <SurDO2Di...@Neptune.com> wrote:
> "Ignoramus6369" <ignoramus6...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than
waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a
contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you
like. Good luck there.

clifto

May 12, 2007, 6:31:33 PM5/12/07
tra...@optonline.net wrote:
> These driveby seal coat guys are well known for having a high
> percentage of scammers. I would never use one period, because even
> if you pay them at the end, you don't know what they put down. And
> you can bet many of them use the cheapest crap that will look good
> right after it goes on, but might not last a month.

Around here we have several companies that put flyers on the doorknobs
in advance, specifying the price and saying when they expect to come
around and do the work. We use a service which was recommended to us by
a satisfied customer (we even actually saw his driveway done before we
placed our order) and which accepts a personal check. They just did our
driveway for the third year the other day and it's great.

The fun we have is watching the changes from neighborhood to neighborhood.
Most offers on our driveway are around $45. Similar-sized driveways in
ritzier neighborhoods get quoted from $75 ro $175 by the same companies.
:)

--
Boycott KFC
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/10/nkfc110.xml

Steve B

May 12, 2007, 7:00:27 PM5/12/07

<tra...@optonline.net> wrote

> Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than
> waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a
> contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you
> like. Good luck there.

I guess you didn't read my post very well. I see that you even snipped it.
I shall repost it. This time, if you don't read it all, JUST READ THE FIRST
SENTENCE.

HTH, but I doubt it.

<repeat of my post>

It depends on the jurisdiction. In some places, they might consider it
grounds for fraud. In others, they would refer you to the proper civil
channel to connect to. And then lots of time, these guys are just "casing"
and return later to pick up loose items at houses where they know what kind
of car is parked in the driveway when someone is home, whether or not you
have a dog, etc. It really all depends on the local authorities, and you'd
have a better chance in a small town where the police are less busy than in
a big city.

Now go take a blood pressure pill and a nap.

Sheesh.

Steve

dca...@krl.org

May 12, 2007, 7:03:42 PM5/12/07

Maybe, but here I suspect they would locate them and determine if they
had a city business license.
If not they would be happy to make sure they paid the city a nice fine
for not having a license. You might not get your money back, but they
might not be able to keep the money.

Dan

Steve B

May 12, 2007, 7:12:09 PM5/12/07

<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve

Christopher Tidy

May 12, 2007, 7:26:48 PM5/12/07
On May 12, 9:41 pm, Rocky <"the rookie"> wrote:

> Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

Geez. Ever heard of being friendly with your neighbours?

Chris

hhc...@yahoo.com

May 12, 2007, 7:29:16 PM5/12/07
Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not
simply drained crankcase oil.

That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.

Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!!
Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old
enough to have sex!

Harry C.

On May 12, 12:09 pm, Ignoramus6369 <ignoramus6...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid>

Terry

May 12, 2007, 8:02:40 PM5/12/07
On 12 May 2007 16:29:16 -0700, hhc...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not
>simply drained crankcase oil.
>
>That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.
>
>Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!!
>Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old
>enough to have sex!
>
>Harry C.

Speak for yourself. Most of us didn't wait until we were 60 to get
laid.

aemeijers

May 12, 2007, 8:47:58 PM5/12/07

"Steve B" <SurDO...@Neptune.com> wrote in message
In the small towns I have lived in, yeah, the local law does roust drive-by
scammers like this pretty hard, mainly because their preferred victims
usually have gray hair. Young homeowners usually don't care how driveway
looks, or are strong enough to go to Home Despot, and get a mop and couple
5-gallon buckets of glop and do it themselves.

aem sends...

George Grapman

May 12, 2007, 8:58:02 PM5/12/07
Block the driveway with your car.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Ignoramus6369

May 12, 2007, 9:10:30 PM5/12/07

These were my own thoughts.

Shawn Hirn

May 12, 2007, 9:11:23 PM5/12/07
In article <j7KdnevMNrNPe9jb...@giganews.com>,
Ignoramus6369 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote:

> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.
>
> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.

Ignoramus6369

May 12, 2007, 9:32:17 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
> also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
> have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
> cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

Shawn Hirn

May 12, 2007, 9:35:47 PM5/12/07
In article <FfWdnW9Zb44899vb...@giganews.com>,
Ignoramus6369 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote:

It depends. Probably in smaller towns, yes. In a large urban community,
its a definite maybe.

Edwin Pawlowski

May 12, 2007, 10:03:07 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

I know that in our town they'd have some interest and maybe even make the
local news to be on the lookout for scams. If not properly licensed, they'd
at least run them out of town.

Steve B

May 12, 2007, 10:33:52 PM5/12/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

Iggy, it's hard to say. Police go to schools to learn what constitutes a
crime and what does not. It protects them from false arrest lawsuits. When
a crime has been committed, they WILL act. When it is the kind of issue
that needs to be addressed by civil channels, they will usually steer you to
someone you can make a complaint to.

The best thing to do in these situations is to call the police, tell them
that you feel you are in a threatening situation, and let them come out and
make a determination. That way, if they can do something, they do it right
then. If not, they advise the reporting person, and move on. After all,
the man was making demands for money your neighbor felt he did not owe. In
this situation, telling the workmen that you don't know what to do, so you
have called the police to come out, and you will do whatever they say. The
workmen usually vaporize right after that. I had a painter leave so fast he
left half his gear.

AS I SAID BEFORE, it really depends on where you live. Smaller towns have
more time to deal with these situations, where in a bigger city, you might
not even get anyone to respond. I don't know the size of your town, so you
would be the best judge of that.

HTH

Steve

hhc...@yahoo.com

May 12, 2007, 10:44:01 PM5/12/07
Well friend, if you waited until 60 to get laid, you are a very
exceptional person or maybe Irish. In most regions of the US, normal
kids have sex before the age of 15. I wanted to have sex since I was
12, but the girls I knew hadn't yet reached puberty. Actually, the
first real sex that I ever had was at the age of 19, and I married the
girl. We'll celebrate our 49th on July 11th.

Also, by the age of 12, unless retarded and riding the short bus, most
kids know about the Gypsy Travelers, who are usually of Irish origin,
and derived from the "Tinkers", not Gypsy's at all. Most are the scum
of Ireland. If you don't know who the Tinkers are, consult an
irishman or Google.

Damn, what is it with you young people, are you mentally regarded or
simply stupid. I cannot imagine anyone today not being familiar with
the 'Irish Traveler' scam. What has been described in this thread is
precisely what they do for a living. Damn, how dumb can you get!

Harry C.

Ignoramus6369

May 12, 2007, 11:14:43 PM5/12/07

Makes sense. We live in a suburb. Not too yuppie, but in a place where
most people do mow the lawn.

Leo Lichtman

May 12, 2007, 11:37:32 PM5/12/07

<hhc...@yahoo.com> wrote: (clip) Damn, what is it with you young people,
are you mentally regarded or
> simply stupid.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do I get my choice? I'll choose "mentally regarded."

Martin H. Eastburn

May 12, 2007, 11:52:29 PM5/12/07
Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
and made money on the side... No return to sender.

I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
high in oil and doesn't setup.

We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and then
a heavy screen over it.

The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

D Murphy

May 13, 2007, 12:14:18 AM5/13/07
Ignoramus6369 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in news:8oidnaJil-
C2rtvbnZ2dn...@giganews.com:

> Would you think that the police would have any interest?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends if the cops are on the take, how busy they are,
and if the seal coaters are out and out scamming, as in spraying used motor
oil instead of driveway sealer.

In the Chicagoland area it's not at all unusual for legit companies to go
neighborhood to neighborhood sealing driveways. At least three different
companies come around our area every year. I always have a look at what
they are doing at the neighbors house first, negotiate them down a whole
bunch second, and pay them AFTER they are done and I'm happy with the job.
I can usually get it done for right around what I pay for the stuff in 5
gallon pails at Home Depot. I've never had a problem.

I find one of the best ways to get these annoying jobs done, like seal
coating or power washing, is to wait until a neighbor has hired someone.
Then mosey on over and see if you can get a deal by offering them a quick
side job. Tell him you'll pay cash, and they can start as soon as they
done with the neighbor. Unless, of course, they are doing a lousy job at
the neighbors.

YMMV.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d>

B.B.

May 13, 2007, 1:46:45 AM5/13/07
In article <46462671$0$2411$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Rocky <"the rookie"> wrote:

[...]

> Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

Are you this big an asshole in real life?

Harold and Susan Vordos

May 13, 2007, 1:54:08 AM5/13/07

"Terry" <Kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message

Grin!!

Harold

ted frater

May 13, 2007, 4:28:23 AM5/13/07

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like? Here
in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
smell of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.
Not the same as tar tho.
Hope someone can enlighten me.
Ted Dorset UK.

jJim McLaughlin

May 13, 2007, 10:36:42 AM5/13/07
hhc...@yahoo.com wrote:

BILGE SNIPPED

Racist little prick, aren't you?

Dave August

May 13, 2007, 12:08:08 PM5/13/07
In these parts we call it "Gypsy Paint" and now you know why....

--.- Dave

[snip]

dca...@krl.org

May 13, 2007, 12:30:25 PM5/13/07
On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" <SurDO2Di...@Neptune.com> wrote:

> Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done
> by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think
> differently on this. What do you think?
>
> Steve

In a small town the police would probably respond. In a big city,
they would refer you to whoever enforces city licensing requirements.
In both places there is someone who wants to make sure the city gets
money for licenses. Getting someone to respond because you lost money
is harder than getting someone to respond because the city probably
lost money.

Dan

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 1:15:33 PM5/13/07

<dca...@krl.org> wrote in message

True. I have noticed, though, in small towns, the police take note of
"traveling tradesmen" and others that are not familiar. And they have the
time to do so. They know a lot of the local people, and those from outside
the area are very noticeable.

Steve

George Grapman

May 13, 2007, 1:58:12 PM5/13/07
Correct. Many years ago I lived in a rural town and had a sales job
that sent me on the road. Once I was going door to door to businesses
and a cop asked me who I represented. He explained that I needed to come
to the station to register.He was polite and had m get in the front seat.
At the station the chief explained what is called a Green River
Ordinance which requires itinerant sales people to register (there was
no fee).
He then had the dispatcher radio the officer who drove me back to my car.

New Leaf

May 13, 2007, 2:16:48 PM5/13/07
wrote:
> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.
>
> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When
they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't
pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know
where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

Viv

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 2:19:22 PM5/13/07

"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

Thank you for the calm lucid rational answer from someone who's been there,
done that. I, also, have had experiences all over this land. I just get
aggravated when I try to bring them here, and some want to attack even the
premise.

It's like, if they've never seen the Statue of Liberty, they swear it cannot
exist.

Wikipedia on Green River Ordinance:

The name Green River Ordinance is given to a common American city ordinance
prohibiting door-to-door solicitation. Under such an ordinance, it is
illegal for any business to sell their items door-to-door without express
permission from the household beforehand. Some versions prohibit all
organizations, including non-profit charitable, political, and religious
groups, from soliciting or canvassing any household that makes it clear, in
writing, that it does not want such solicitations (generally with a "No
Trespassing" or "No Solicitations" sign posted.)

The ordinance is named for the city of Green River, Wyoming, the first city
to enact it.

The ordinance has been brought before the Supreme Court for challenge in
several times. While the court has upheld these ordinances when they
prohibit intrastate commerce (seeing the issue as a state's rights issue),
more recent decisions suggest that a total ban on door to door soliciting
would be found unconstitutional and unenforceable on the grounds of
religious free speech and commercial free speech when the ordinances ban
religious or interstate solicitations.

<end of Wikipedia>

So, therefore, if the person who was solicited for the driveway work lived
in a town where the Green River Ordinance was in effect, all they had to do
was call the police, and they would have taken care of the whole (eventual)
mess. Or, the town may have had their OWN ordinance. Like a fellow said,
all the town is interested in is getting their cut. For some small towns,
their radar guns and enforcement of local laws on tourists, outsiders and
the uninformed brings in revenues.

Steve

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 2:23:53 PM5/13/07

"New Leaf" <noo...@rogers.com> wrote

> I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When
> they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't
> pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know
> where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.
>
> Viv

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you drive so
they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you
have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Steve

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 2:36:43 PM5/13/07
Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote:
> "New Leaf" <noo...@rogers.com> wrote
>
>> I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
>> When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
>> wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
>> don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

> They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you

> drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you have a dog
> or not, other items convertible to cash.

> Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

clareatsnyder.on.ca

May 13, 2007, 2:51:40 PM5/13/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:35:39 -0500, Ignoramus6369
<ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony <sw...@notasarian-host.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

>>> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
>>> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
>>> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
>>> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
>>> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>>>
>>> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
>>> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
>>> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
>>> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
>>> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
>>> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
>>> $50 and they finished the work.
>>>
>>> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
>>> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
>>> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
>>> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
>>> circumstances?

Fraud. For starters. Down in the 'merican south? perhaps not. Up here
in Canada it depends how slow a day they are having. They take a
strong stand against that kind of scam in our locale.

>> Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a signed
>> contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling the police.
>>

>Would you think that the police would have any interest?

Bruce L. Bergman

May 13, 2007, 2:54:21 PM5/13/07
On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:28:23 GMT, ted frater <ted.f...@virgin.net>
wrote:

>Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like?

Home Depot? That's a big retail store that combines electrical,
plumbing, gardening and nursery, paint, lumber, millwork, roofing,
siding, tools, and cleaning supplies among other things... All in one
place so you don't have to make 10 separate stops at specialty shops
to blow your entire paycheck on home repair supplies.

But that part you probably already knew... ;-)

> Here in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
> this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
>rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
> Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
>available in 45gall barrels.
> Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
>smell of ammonia about it till dry.
>
>Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
>under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
>to an existing road surface.

They sell that same basic coal-tar emulsion coating compound, but in
the 5 US Gallon (4 Imperial) pails so you can do your own driveway.
Of course, the steel pails and lids cost $5 dollars plus, and the
shipping eats a lot more, so you're paying for the convenience.

The professional coating companies here get the same emulsion
coatings in bulk in their truck from a regional supplier. They could
probably get it in (55 Gal US/45 Imp) drums, but then you have to deal
with the mess of someone handling (~500 pounds/ ~225 Kg) tapping and
dispensing from drums, and handling & returning all the empties and
dealing with drum deposit fees... A 500-gallon tank bolted down on
the back of a truck is a lot easier and cleaner to deal with, just
open the valve.

--<< Bruce >>--

clareatsnyder.on.ca

May 13, 2007, 2:54:38 PM5/13/07
wrote:

>Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

>> Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
>> and made money on the side... No return to sender.
>>
>> I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
>> high in oil and doesn't setup.
>>
>> We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and then
>> a heavy screen over it.
>>
>> The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
>> spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
>> and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.
>>
>> Martin
>> Martin H. Eastburn
>> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net
>> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
>> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
>> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.
>> http://lufkinced.com/

Coal tar emulsion - makes nasty discolouration on light vinyl floors,
even months after application.

val189

May 13, 2007, 3:26:04 PM5/13/07

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

a. wouldn't give them another dime.

b. get someone reliable to finish the job, even if I had to redo the
whole mess.

c. see if my local newpaper would print an article alerting the
public
to the deal. ( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the
paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)

With this type of job, I get the particulars in writing beforehand,
see a license and insurance,
and MIGHT pay enough to just buy materials. I tell them I will only
pay with a cashiers check,
when they say cash only. I want a record!!

George Grapman

May 13, 2007, 3:44:24 PM5/13/07
Start out by asking for a business card with their contractors
license number on it.

Iggy 2

May 13, 2007, 5:49:13 PM5/13/07

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message

> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.
>
> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

Those were some stupid scammers.

Generally, we go to Chinese restaurants once a week, to get used vegetable
oil to spray. We charge the restaurant $100 to haul it away.

We tell the consumer it's a mineral-colloid-stabilized, emulsified refined
coal tar suitable for use as a weather-protective.

Once we get started, we always find some wide cracks. We then tell the
consumer, it's going to take an extra $125 to fill the cracks permanently.
I ramble on to the consumer about this special fill used for asphalt. It's
nothing more than drywall compound (Durabond 30).

When we leave the job which was originally quoted @ $150 - $200, it is
always at least $500 + . The stupid ass consumer has a nice shiny driveway
for about a year, and little knowledge of what was really applied to it.

Between the 4 crews each doing about 4 drives a day, you can make a pretty
good $ on stupid people.

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 5:49:57 PM5/13/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You don't get out a lot, do you? Lots and lots of rapes, murders,
burglaries, and other things committed by people posing as someone they're
not. Facts, not mindless paranoia. If you can't read the newspapers,
there's local TV news each evening at around six. Don't own a TV? Well, I
guess you are going to have to splurge $10 on a cheap AM radio. They have
news on the hour every hour.

Steve

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 6:05:23 PM5/13/07

"Iggy 2" <Ig...@nospam.google> wrote in message

Good grief! Now, even with all the obsessive perfectionists, "honest"
people, the anal, the netnannies, and grumps, we got morphing trolls.

Bye.

Steve

Oren

May 13, 2007, 6:45:04 PM5/13/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 04:36:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote:
>> "New Leaf" <noo...@rogers.com> wrote
>>
>>> I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
>>> When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
>>> wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
>>> don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.
>
>> They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
>> drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you have a dog
>> or not, other items convertible to cash.
>
>> Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.
>
>Mindless paranoia.

Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor
twist the door knob?

I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was taught to
kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.

>You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
>work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

--
Oren

Nancy Young

May 13, 2007, 7:24:58 PM5/13/07

"Oren" <Or...@home.yes.us> wrote

> Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor
> twist the door knob?

A number of towns around me started implementing laws
that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a couple
of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she let him in for
a glass of water.

I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

nancy

Stormin Mormon

May 13, 2007, 7:27:09 PM5/13/07
Shoot the bastards. It was probably also used crank case oil.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in
message news:j7KdnevMNrNPe9jb...@giganews.com...

: It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and

:
: i

Stormin Mormon

May 13, 2007, 7:32:43 PM5/13/07
Racking slide on shotgun sure helps keep your door closed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Oren" <Or...@home.yes.us> wrote in message
:
: Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the

solicitor
: twist the door knob?
:
: I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was
taught to
: kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.

:
: --

Oren

May 13, 2007, 7:50:05 PM5/13/07
On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:24:58 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
>register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.
>
>nancy

You are so right. It don't happen in Las Vegas - all the time. They
pass out flyers (strip) for me to have an erotic escort. Hell I'm
local with no need.

The police know they are there and might even understand when I push
the guy out of my space or on his ass when I walk the street.

Just like me answering the front door. The person ought to really know
what he is up against. Don't get me wrong. I don't cut or shoot
everyone knocking on the door.

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 8:22:25 PM5/13/07
Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote
>>> New Leaf <noo...@rogers.com> wrote

>>> They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
>>> drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools,

>>> Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

>> Mindless paranoia.

>> You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
>> work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

> You don't get out a lot, do you?

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> Lots and lots of rapes, murders, burglaries, and other things committed by people posing as
> someone they're not.

Yes, but its just not feasible to never ever let anyone anywhere
near your house just in case its one of those. And fuck all of
those you mention above are spraying scammers or even just
door to door sales fools anyway. Too easy to identify those.

> Facts, not mindless paranoia.

Your claim that you should ensure that no one can get anywhere
near your house is just completely mindless paranoia.

> If you can't read the newspapers, there's local TV news each evening at around six. Don't own a
> TV? Well, I guess you are going to have to splurge $10 on a cheap AM radio. They have news on
> the hour every hour.

And those report fuck all spraying scammers doing anything more than con the stupid, stupid.

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 8:25:08 PM5/13/07
Oren <Or...@home.yes.us> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote
>>> New Leaf <noo...@rogers.com> wrote

>>> They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
>>> drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools,
>>> mowers, if you have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

>>> Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

>> Mindless paranoia.

> Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor twist the door knob?

Not even possible here, no rotating door knob, the front door is a big sliding glass patio door.

> I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was
> taught to kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.

More fool you. Just another utterly mindless paranoid loon.

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 8:27:42 PM5/13/07

Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 8:48:31 PM5/13/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Rod Speed?

Is that the speed of your dick typing?

Steve

Steve B

May 13, 2007, 9:06:49 PM5/13/07

"Oren" <Or...@home.yes.us> wrote

>Just like me answering the front door. The person ought to really know
> what he is up against. Don't get me wrong. I don't cut or shoot
> everyone knocking on the door.
>
> --
> Oren

Me neither, but I get one every once in a while. I have a nice looking
round headed big nail on the backside of my front door. It's for hanging a
holster. I talk with people now and then at the front door, and they have
no idea I have a gun in my right hand. I also write down license plates.
Just a hobby for us paranoid fools.

Don't know about where lots of folks live, but where Oren and I do, home
invasion is a common thing. Occasionally ending someone's death. It is
also common to be attacked in your garage with the door open. I have a
loaded gun in four different areas. I also carry pepper spray almost all of
the time. Violent crimes happen in big cities, rural, and small town
America. Anyone who thinks not is a troll or just mentally not all there.

Glad I'm moving out of this hell hole soon. Taking a big load of furniture
to Utah in the morning. Tools are going to take about two loads. Looking
forward to life in a town of 935 people. Maybe I'll forget about all this,
and start posting that everyone who carries a gun or thinks they can be
assaulted or preyed upon are just paranoid fools.

Nah. Last year there was a homicide in that little town of 935.

I was a part time coroner's investigator for a while. As a newcomer and a
part timer, all of my calls were "natural" deaths. But I was a part of the
office that deals with the dark side of what one human does to another, and
heard and saw a lot of things first hand. We had a word for people who
walked around thinking everyone was paranoid, and that nothing could happen
to THEM: prey.

Steve

Nancy Young

May 13, 2007, 9:07:57 PM5/13/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> A number of towns around me started implementing laws
>> that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
>> magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
>> bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
>> criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
>> up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
>> this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a
>> couple of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she
>> let him in for a glass of water.
>>
>> I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
>> register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.
>
> Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

The point is they are breaking the law if they knock on your door
and the police will respond if they are reported.

> Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
> who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling shit, you think I
care if they're inconvenienced?

> If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
> to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
> the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

I'm not paranoid. But thanks for playing.

nancy

Mike Dobony

May 13, 2007, 9:50:11 PM5/13/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony <sw...@notasarian-host.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> "Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message
>>> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
>>> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
>>> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
>>> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
>>> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>>>
>>> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
>>> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
>>> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
>>> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
>>> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
>>> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
>>> $50 and they finished the work.
>>>
>>> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
>>> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
>>> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
>>> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
>>> circumstances?

>> Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a
>> signed
>> contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling the police.
>>

> Would you think that the police would have any interest?

It would get the attention of the scammers and get them registered.
Depending on the community, it might get them followed and they will head
out of town. All depends on the police department.

Vic Smith

May 13, 2007, 9:59:02 PM5/13/07
On 12 May 2007 16:29:16 -0700, hhc...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not
>simply drained crankcase oil.
>
>That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.
>
>Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!!
>Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old
>enough to have sex!

Good movie called Traveller with Bill Paxton and Mark Wahlberg.
Pretty funny scene when they collected their cash and ran like hell
because it started to rain. The "blacktop sealer" they had just
applied was running into the gutter just as fast.

--Vic

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 10:08:05 PM5/13/07
Some gutless paranoid fuckwit desperately cowering behind
Steve B <ExSurD...@Neptune.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed?

> Is that the speed of your dick typing?

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Rod Speed

May 13, 2007, 10:12:37 PM5/13/07
Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>>> A number of towns around me started implementing laws
>>> that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
>>> magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
>>> bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
>>> criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
>>> up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
>>> this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a
>>> couple of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she
>>> let him in for a glass of water.

>>> I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
>>> register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

>> Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

> The point is they are breaking the law if they knock on your door

No they arent if they have registered.

> and the police will respond if they are reported.

And you have no practical way of checking if they have registered with the cops or not.

>> Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
>> who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

> Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling shit, you think I care if they're
> inconvenienced?

The crims that matter arent, fool.

>> If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
>> to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
>> the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

> I'm not paranoid.

Corse you are.

> But thanks for playing.

Pathetic.

Martin H. Eastburn

May 13, 2007, 10:57:34 PM5/13/07
That is the same stuff we used. So it seems.

As I recall - If you are having it done - ask about Type I and Type II.

One is under the stone and the other is over the stone. Over is best.
And we did it every 4-5 years or in sections as needed. A storm dropping
20 inches in a couple of days might blow out some road...

I'm out of the rain forest and into the rain plains.

ted frater wrote:
> Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
>
>> Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
>> and made money on the side... No return to sender.
>>
>> I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
>> high in oil and doesn't setup.
>>
>> We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and
>> then
>> a heavy screen over it.
>>
>> The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
>> spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
>> and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.
>>
>> Martin
>> Martin H. Eastburn
>> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net
>> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
>> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
>> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.
>> http://lufkinced.com/

Leo Lichtman

May 13, 2007, 11:08:02 PM5/13/07

"Rod Speed" (clip) And you have no practical way of checking if they have
registered with the cops or not. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't they get paperwork that they are required to show on demand?

Jon Danniken

May 13, 2007, 11:35:07 PM5/13/07
"val189" wrote:
> ( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the
> paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)

Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was in college - thanks to
the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half price!

Jon

Nancy Young

May 14, 2007, 12:19:19 AM5/14/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>> and the police will respond if they are reported.

> And you have no practical way of checking if they have registered with the
> cops or not.

Just last week I had this new thing installed, it's called a phone.
People use it to report suspicious activity.

>> Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling shit, you think I
>> care if they're inconvenienced?
>
> The crims that matter arent, fool.

Crims, is that a new word?

>>> If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
>>> to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
>>> the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.
>
>> I'm not paranoid.
>
> Corse you are.

Another new word.

>> But thanks for playing.
>
> Pathetic.

Indeed.

nancy

Nancy Young

May 14, 2007, 12:22:34 AM5/14/07

"Leo Lichtman" <l.lic...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

Yes, and people who have it can't wait to show it to you.

I wouldn't ask for it if they didn't, I'd say no thanks, then call after
they left. Luckily we get very few door to door people, mostly
Jehovah, and the occasional kid selling candy or cookies.

nancy

Rod Speed

May 14, 2007, 1:08:45 AM5/14/07
Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The point is they are breaking the law if they knock on your door

>> No they arent if they have registered.

>>> and the police will respond if they are reported.

>> And you have no practical way of checking if they have registered with the cops or not.

> Just last week I had this new thing installed, it's called a phone.
> People use it to report suspicious activity.

Hardly anyone bothers to do with every door to door monkey.

>>> Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling shit, you think

>>> I care if they're inconvenienced?

>> The crims that matter arent, fool.

> Crims, is that a new word?

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to
work out what its a contraction of in the context.

>>> I'm not paranoid.

>> Corse you are.

> Another new word.

Like it or lump it.

>>> But thanks for playing.

>> Pathetic.

> Indeed.

Pathetic.

Leo Lichtman

May 14, 2007, 1:31:29 AM5/14/07

"Jon Danniken" wrote: Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was
in college - thanks to the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half
price!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is that different from aging, which sells for MORE?

jJim McLaughlin

May 14, 2007, 10:41:54 AM5/14/07
Rod Speed wrote:

MORE DRIVEL

Rod, you have nothing positive to contribute.

<PLONK>

Bye.

William Souden

May 14, 2007, 10:47:47 AM5/14/07

What would you expect from a welfare loser whose work history
consists of a few hours at a fast food job.
Door to door people never bother Rod because they take one look at
his hovel and see he can not afford even a magazine subscription.

William Souden

May 14, 2007, 10:49:07 AM5/14/07
By the way, those magazine ales people often become victims. They are
placed in roach motels,their pay is withheld and they are abused.

Nancy Young

May 14, 2007, 10:58:42 AM5/14/07

"William Souden" <sou...@nospam.com> wrote

> By the way, those magazine ales people often become victims. They are
> placed in roach motels,their pay is withheld and they are abused.

You are correct. I really don't understand how the whole thing
works, but it's a nasty little business all around.

nancy

George Grapman

May 14, 2007, 11:56:14 AM5/14/07
From news stories I have read they recruit kids with the promise of
seeing the country while making money. They aim for those who a e
vulnerable (abusive families,criminal records,etc,). They travel in vans
from city to city and only after they start are they told that expenses
are being deducted from their pay, The stories also reported beatings
and other abuse.
Each outfit on the chain starting with the magazines hire independent
contractors to shield them from liability.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Mike Berger

May 14, 2007, 12:40:20 PM5/14/07
Yes, committing a serious crime is the best way to make up
for your own ignorant mistakes. Preventing them from leaving
is unlawful restraint.

George Grapman wrote:
> Ignoramus6369 wrote:

>> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
>> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
>> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
>> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
>> circumstances?

> Block the driveway with your car.

Mike Berger

May 14, 2007, 12:34:08 PM5/14/07
Your local police must be very skilled and have a lot of time
on their hands if they get involved in civil small claims issues
and are expert enough to evaluate the chemicals the workers are
using. In most jurisdictions they wouldn't have the expertise
or authority.

D Murphy wrote:
> Ignoramus6369 <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in news:8oidnaJil-
> C2rtvbnZ2dn...@giganews.com:

>> Would you think that the police would have any interest?
>

> Maybe, maybe not. Depends if the cops are on the take, how busy they are,
> and if the seal coaters are out and out scamming, as in spraying used motor

George Grapman

May 14, 2007, 12:44:33 PM5/14/07
Mike Berger wrote:
> Yes, committing a serious crime is the best way to make up
> for your own ignorant mistakes. Preventing them from leaving
> is unlawful restraint.

Somehow I do not envision them calling the police about the blocked
driveway.

> George Grapman wrote:
>> Ignoramus6369 wrote:
>>> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
>>> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
>>> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
>>> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
>>> circumstances?
>> Block the driveway with your car.

Mike Berger

May 14, 2007, 12:41:50 PM5/14/07
What's the difference? They may have "interest" but their
ability to do anything (other than demand they obey local
licensing ordinances) is minimal. It would not get your
neighbor a refund.

Ignoramus6369 wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
>> also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
>> have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
>> cops.
>
> My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

Melissa

May 14, 2007, 1:58:00 PM5/14/07

"Ignoramus6369" <ignora...@NOSPAM.6369.invalid> wrote in message
> It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
> them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
> asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
> thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
> some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.
>
> He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
> ($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
> all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
> expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
> the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
> driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
> $50 and they finished the work.
>
> So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
> "drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
> poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
> finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
> circumstances?

Personally, we never do any business from people who call or knock on our
door selling stuff. This includes those guys selling meat from pick-up
trucks. "You're neighbor down the street ordered too much meat...".
Usually, there is not even a neighbor home when these guys stop here. If we
need something fixed, painted, sealed etc. we search out reputable locally
owned companies.

Melissa

Kurt Ullman

May 14, 2007, 12:58:49 PM5/14/07
In article <f2a30j$pe$1...@roundup.shout.net>,
Mike Berger <ber...@shout.net> wrote:

> Your local police must be very skilled and have a lot of time
> on their hands if they get involved in civil small claims issues
> and are expert enough to evaluate the chemicals the workers are
> using. In most jurisdictions they wouldn't have the expertise
> or authority.

They would have the authority in an jurisdiction in the US. It is
called criminal fraud. The expertise is another kettle of fish, but that
is easily bought on the open market.

Ignoramus20083

May 14, 2007, 1:03:04 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:41:50 -0500, Mike Berger <ber...@shout.net> wrote:
> What's the difference? They may have "interest" but their
> ability to do anything (other than demand they obey local
> licensing ordinances) is minimal. It would not get your
> neighbor a refund.

My own thinking is that these people probably have other issues with
"the law" and do not want contact with the police.

George Grapman

May 14, 2007, 1:04:48 PM5/14/07

A California it is a misdemeanor for a unlicensed contractor to
perform a job in excess of $500 which gives the police a valid interest .

George Grapman

May 14, 2007, 1:07:12 PM5/14/07

Simple rules to avoid this problem.

Never deal with door to door contractors.
Upon your initial contact with a contractor get their business card.In
most states it must have their contractors license number.
Do not pay until the job is completed.
Use a credit card to pay.

Kurt Ullman

May 14, 2007, 1:09:39 PM5/14/07
In article <4H02i.8816$rO7...@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:

Call local building dept see if licensed properly. Ask for and
followup with references. Run in the opposite direction.

clifto

May 14, 2007, 1:19:25 PM5/14/07

When they age meat, they put it in a place full of mold so that it gets
all moldy.

--
Boycott KFC
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/10/nkfc110.xml

George Grapman

May 14, 2007, 1:25:43 PM5/14/07
Another risk with an unlicensed contractor:

If they are not licensed they may be breaking other laws such as not
having insurance or workers comp. If a worker gets injured on the job
you could be sued.

jJim McLaughlin

May 14, 2007, 2:02:48 PM5/14/07
William Souden wrote:

Bill, you have nothing positive to contribute.

<PLONK>

Bye.

fl...@andrew.seeemmyou.eeedeeyou

May 14, 2007, 2:07:50 PM5/14/07
(crosspost to rec.crafts.metalworking broken)

"Leo Lichtman" <l.lic...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> "Jon Danniken" wrote: Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was
> >in college - thanks to the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half
> >price!

> How is that different from aging, which sells for MORE?

The conditions for aging meat are very controlled... temp, air circulation,
and humidity. In a dry age, there is typically a layer of fat that
is later trimmed off (along with any mold growth).

There is also wet aging, which is under shrink wrap. That is usually what
happens between slaughterhouse and store.

At the store, the wet aged meat is then opened and processed.
You'll loose the fat layer, and the meat is exposed to more bacteria.

I've had plenty of "use today or freeze" meats... and i've eaten a good
bit of meat that's gone a bit towards the slimey side.

Properly aged meat is no comparison.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Rod Speed

May 14, 2007, 2:18:33 PM5/14/07
Kurt Ullman <kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote
> Mike Berger <ber...@shout.net> wrote

>> Your local police must be very skilled and have a lot of time on
>> their hands if they get involved in civil small claims issues and
>> are expert enough to evaluate the chemicals the workers are using.
>> In most jurisdictions they wouldn't have the expertise or authority.

> They would have the authority in an jurisdiction in the US. It is called criminal fraud.

That expertise is required to work out the difference between
deliberate criminal fraud and just plain hopeless operators that
dont have enough of a clue to use the appropriate materials.

> The expertise is another kettle of fish, but
> that is easily bought on the open market.

Its MUCH more complicated than that with the proof beyond reasonable
doubt required to prove alleged criminal fraud as opposed to incompetance.

Rod Speed

May 14, 2007, 2:21:09 PM5/14/07
Ignoramus20083 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.20083.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:41:50 -0500, Mike Berger <ber...@shout.net>
> wrote:
>> What's the difference? They may have "interest" but their
>> ability to do anything (other than demand they obey local
>> licensing ordinances) is minimal. It would not get your
>> neighbor a refund.
>
> My own thinking is that these people probably have other issues with
> "the law" and do not want contact with the police.

Maybe not, but that doesnt mean you will get a refund or the job dont properly either.

And like the worst of them will be happy to tell you, they know where you live.

It is loading more messages.