Did Netflix raise the price of their plans?

RogB...@gmail.com

May 5, 2008, 9:38:58 AM5/5/08
Did Netflix just raise their plan prices starting in May? I was
thinking about joining, so I have been checking out their plans
lately. When I decided to join, it was at the end of April, maybe the
26th or so. I wanted to wait until May because I didn't know their
billing cycle, and did not want to pay fo the month of April if I
would not get to use it hardly. Now, I go to sign up on May 2, and the
2 movie at a time, unlimited per month is now $13.99. I swear, it used
to be $8.99 several days ago. I called them up to see if they would
give it to me, but they claim they haven't raised their prices.

Dave

May 5, 2008, 9:45:38 AM5/5/08

<RogB...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Google redbox

Fuck netflix, you could get almost 14 movies from redbox for the monthly
netflix fee. -Dave

Anthony Matonak

May 5, 2008, 10:32:33 AM5/5/08
RogB...@gmail.com wrote:
> Did Netflix just raise their plan prices starting in May?

Netflix prices have always been about $6/disc.

Anthony

Vic Smith

May 5, 2008, 10:34:47 AM5/5/08

I've got the 3 at a time plan.
Started at 17.99 last May.
Went down to 16.99 last August.
The April bill went down to 16.14.
That's what my Quicken register says, and all I know about it.

--Vic

George Grapman

May 5, 2008, 10:45:45 AM5/5/08
Where did you get that number? They do not charge per movie but by
the month. I pay something like $16 a month for up to three movies at a
time so if I rent 10 a month that comes out to $1.60 per movie.

May 5, 2008, 10:59:16 AM5/5/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

Redbox is awesome, and you can return them anywhere. I usually get a bunch
on Friday at the grocery store, then return them on Saturday and Sunday
where ever our travels take us. We watched 4 movies this weekend for $5
(kept 1 two days).

Dave

May 5, 2008, 10:57:33 AM5/5/08

> Redbox is awesome, and you can return them anywhere. I usually get a bunch
> on Friday at the grocery store, then return them on Saturday and Sunday
> where ever our travels take us. We watched 4 movies this weekend for $5
> (kept 1 two days).

I didn't know you could return them anywhere, thanks for the tip! -Dave

George Grapman

May 5, 2008, 10:59:22 AM5/5/08
Is that the same service that Safeway stores have. I have not used it
but I did see $1 a day sign.

Dave

May 5, 2008, 11:19:39 AM5/5/08

> Is that the same service that Safeway stores have. I have not used it
> but I did see $1 a day sign.

Redbox can be found in many supermarkets and Near or IN many McDonald's
restaurants. But I believe that what you saw in Safeway was probably a
similar, competing company. IF it is as good as redbox, you might want to
give it a try anyway. Redbox will charge $1 a day plus tax for each DVD.
Essentially that means you rent 3 movies for ~$3.24, or less than the cost
of one movie from any retail walk-in type chain store. -Dave

May 5, 2008, 11:27:53 AM5/5/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

Yup. You can return to any Redbox. It really couldn't get much easier.

George Grapman

May 5, 2008, 11:27:54 AM5/5/08
I like the concept but it is hard to beat the convenience if Netflix
where I walk to the mailbox. The others ,of course, give you instant
gratification.
In three years with Nextflix only two movies took more than a day to
arrive and only one DVD was defective. When I reported it a replacement
was mailed before they got the defective one.

RogB...@gmail.com

May 5, 2008, 11:49:43 AM5/5/08
The Redbox thing doesn't seem all that appealing. I don't have one
near me, only at some Walmarts that are not very convenient. They must
not have a very good selection if it doesn't have a search engine.

Dave

May 5, 2008, 12:21:49 PM5/5/08

> The Redbox thing doesn't seem all that appealing. I don't have one
> near me, only at some Walmarts that are not very convenient. They must
> not have a very good selection if it doesn't have a search engine.

Well I've watched just about every movie on DVD that hasn't been released
recently. Redbox is perfect for recent releases. There's been a couple of
movies I've wanted that were OUT at the time I got to the redbox. But for
the most part, redbox does have a pretty good selection of the movies that
most people really want to rent right now. If you are looking for older
titles, you can forget about the redbox. :) -Dave

May 5, 2008, 1:44:51 PM5/5/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message
> Well I've watched just about every movie on DVD that hasn't been released
> recently. Redbox is perfect for recent releases. There's been a couple
> of movies I've wanted that were OUT at the time I got to the redbox. But
> for the most part, redbox does have a pretty good selection of the movies
> that most people really want to rent right now. If you are looking for
> older titles, you can forget about the redbox. :) -Dave

Agreed. If the movie is more than a year old then it's not going to be
there, but you can't beat Redbox for $1 movies the day they come out. In
fact, we often use Redbox instead of On Demand, since that's $3.99.

scrapq...@gmail.com

May 5, 2008, 2:56:04 PM5/5/08
On May 5, 11:27 am, <h> wrote:
> "Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

> >> Redbox is awesome, and you can return them anywhere. I usually get a
> >> bunch on Friday at the grocery store, then return them on Saturday and
> >> Sunday where ever our travels take us. We watched 4 movies this weekend
> >> for $5 (kept 1 two days).

The main problem with Redbox is limited selection. I think it only
has about 25-30 movies to choose from in the box, right?
NetFlix has thousands and thousands of movies to choose from. My
family has been on a 'british crime dramas' kick lately. How many of
those BBC series can I rent from Redbox?
Seems like Redbox would be great if you want the most recent releases
of popular movies. But for anyone with more obscure taste, Netflix
wins hands down.

The Real Bev

May 5, 2008, 4:52:15 PM5/5/08
Anthony Matonak wrote:

Not if you work at it, have morning delivery and a nearby mailbox with
afternoon pickup and are only a day away from their depot! Best deal is
Blockbuster if you have one of those nearby. The urge to minimize cost
is strong :-)

--
Cheers,
Bev

Seerialmom

May 5, 2008, 5:00:51 PM5/5/08

I don't like the idea of giving a credit card to some random machine
in the store. But then again, I understand "why" they take the
payment that way in case you don't return the movie. They have those
in Safeway and Raley's here in Northern Ca.

Seerialmom

May 5, 2008, 5:01:53 PM5/5/08

Plus with On Demand movies you don't get the extras like blooper reels
and outtakes :)

George Grapman

May 5, 2008, 5:27:01 PM5/5/08
On the other hand DVDs sometime offer comments from
directors,producers and actors.

Dave

May 5, 2008, 6:22:21 PM5/5/08

The main problem with Redbox is limited selection. I think it only
has about 25-30 movies to choose from in the box, right?

(snip)

I'd have to guess that the number is somewhere between 150 and 200 recent
releases. There are like 15 on a page, and about a dozen pages to scroll
through. -Dave

Dennis

May 5, 2008, 8:15:44 PM5/5/08

Netflix gave everyone a discount (I think it was 5%) because their
system was down one day in April.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

The Real Bev

May 5, 2008, 9:32:42 PM5/5/08
George Grapman wrote:

> On the other hand DVDs sometime offer comments from
> directors,producers and actors.

...many of which are embarrassingly awful. It actually hurts to listen
to actors talk about the characters they play. If they have to explain,
they've failed. "How it was made" features are completely different, of
course.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly,

Anthony Matonak

May 6, 2008, 12:13:31 AM5/6/08
The Real Bev wrote:

> Anthony Matonak wrote:
>>
>> Netflix prices have always been about $6/disc.
>
> Not if you work at it, have morning delivery and a nearby mailbox with
> afternoon pickup and are only a day away from their depot! Best deal is
> Blockbuster if you have one of those nearby. The urge to minimize cost
> is strong :-)

I guess I should have said $6/disc-at-a-time per month.
I thought this was obvious but I guess it was just me. :)

Here is the monthly pricing from the Netflix website.
2 at a time $14 / 2 = $7
3 at a time $17 / 3 = $5.67
4 at a time $24 / 4 = $6
5 at a time $30 / 5 = $6
6 at a time $36 / 6 = $6
7 at a time $42 / 7 = $6
8 at a time $48 / 8 = $6

Clearly the 3 at a time plan is the most cost effective.

From what I've heard, if you really work hard, you can get
two shipping cycles per week or about 8 movies for each
'disc-at-a-time' per month. With the 3 at-a-time plan, this
works out to some 24 movies a month. I'm told they will delay
shipment to people who return movies too quickly so this
number might not be possible anymore.

The hard part is finding that many movies you would want
to watch in a year, let alone a single month. The things
they put out on DVD these days are mostly garbage and
various kinds of torture.

Anthony

George Grapman

May 6, 2008, 12:28:25 AM5/6/08

You also have to factor in the savings in time gas,parking meters
and late fees.With the store if I am at the return date I have three
choices,watch the movie now,pay a late fee or return it unwatched. With
Netflix I stop when I want to and continue when I feel like it.

Marsha

May 7, 2008, 9:17:21 PM5/7/08
George Grapman wrote:

It would be difficult for me to find 3 movies a month that I would like
to see. You can only watch the old ones so many times, and there just
aren't that many new ones that are worth watching, IMO.

Marsha/Ohio

Evelyn C. Leeper

May 14, 2008, 7:23:10 PM5/14/08

It's awesome only if you want something from their pathetic selection.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test

Dave

May 15, 2008, 6:45:23 AM5/15/08

> It's awesome only if you want something from their pathetic selection.

What do you call pathetic? They have everything you will find in the new
release section of any B&M video rental shop. Plus some. In other words,
they have all the movies that most people are interested in renting. -Dave

Chloe

May 15, 2008, 9:15:15 AM5/15/08
> enting. -Dave

Good example of the frugality principle of not buying more than you actually
need. DH and I use our Netflix subscription for other types of rentals than
new movie releases. But if what you rent's limited to that kind of thing,
then Netflix may not be the best alternative.

Evelyn C. Leeper

May 15, 2008, 10:00:14 AM5/15/08

Well, I rarely rent from the new (studio film) release section,
preferring instead independent and foreign films, so when I look at the
box, I find nothing I'm interested in.

Obviously, YMMV.

May 15, 2008, 10:19:00 AM5/15/08

"Evelyn C. Leeper" <ele...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> It's awesome only if you want something from their pathetic selection.
>>>

>> What do you call pathetic? They have everything you will find in the new
>> release section of any B&M video rental shop. Plus some. In other
>> words, they have all the movies that most people are interested in
>> renting. -Dave
>
> Well, I rarely rent from the new (studio film) release section, preferring
> instead independent and foreign films, so when I look at the box, I find
> nothing I'm interested in.
>
> Obviously, YMMV.

We prefer to see the foreign/indie films at the local artsy place which
offers $3 saturday matinees. There are only about 8-10 films a year that
fall into that category. For the standard Hollyweird fare we spend $1 at
Redbox. 1/4 the price of On Demand.