A cool idea for sleeping at night . . .

1 view

Tockk

Jul 9, 2007, 6:56:32 PM7/9/07
I saw a movie where some folks went to bed with hot water bottles to keep
warm in winter. That got me thinking . .

So, I took one of the blue ice bags in my freezer, wrapped it in a small
towel, and slept with that in this hot weather. I won't say that it's the
cure for the hot weather sweats, but it helps.

pc

Jul 9, 2007, 7:18:30 PM7/9/07

We were just talking about this last night.

I have a wacky internal thermostat and that, combined with the Florida
heat and humidity, has me awaken in a major sweat at least six times a
night.

I really like a cold pillow. And I recently saw two pillows that sort
of verged on fixing the hot pillow problem.

One had an opening through the side where you could put an icepack.
But, I didn't like the idea of the dampness that would seep into the pillow.
The other was made with 'Coolmax' material which wicks moisture away.
It claimed it would keep you cooler..but I don't really think it would
make a difference.

Too bad there isn't some sort of dry ice that I could put inside the pillow!

PC [missing Vermont these days!]

Tockk

Jul 9, 2007, 7:25:16 PM7/9/07

"pc" <p...@somewhere.com> wrote

> But, I didn't like the idea of the dampness that would seep into the
> pillow.

I had another idea (that's a long story) that generated a lot of
condensation. But, I found if you wrap a frozen blue ice thingy in a towel
(I keep it bundled up with a large rubber band), the condensation is
minimal. The towel gets a little damp, but that's about it.
YMMV . . .

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Jul 9, 2007, 7:33:29 PM7/9/07
pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote:

>I really like a cold pillow. And I recently saw two pillows that sort
>of verged on fixing the hot pillow problem.
>
>One had an opening through the side where you could put an icepack.
>But, I didn't like the idea of the dampness that would seep into the pillow.

A plastic pillowcase could fix that, but it would feel yucky.

A heat-conductive pillow would feel cooler. Stuff it with copper sponges?

One colonial coffin design had a copper ice tray under
a 2-part lid which left the face of the body exposed.

Too kinky?

Nick

hchickpea

Jul 9, 2007, 9:02:33 PM7/9/07

"pc" <p...@somewhere.com> wrote in message > We were just talking about this

last night.

> I have a wacky internal thermostat and that, combined with the Florida
> heat and humidity, has me awaken in a major sweat at least six times a
> night.
>
> I really like a cold pillow. And I recently saw two pillows that sort
> of verged on fixing the hot pillow problem.
>
> One had an opening through the side where you could put an icepack.
> But, I didn't like the idea of the dampness that would seep into the
pillow.
> The other was made with 'Coolmax' material which wicks moisture away.
> It claimed it would keep you cooler..but I don't really think it would
> make a difference.
>
> Too bad there isn't some sort of dry ice that I could put inside the
pillow!

> PC [missing Vermont these days!]

Hi PC! (waves)

You could were a cool hat to bed (GDR)

We found a three way powered fan at WalMart for about $40. We were able to
run one of these at night with the air crossing the bed, and stay reasonably
comfortable until we got power for night-time AC.

Oh yeah, with two of us, the water lugging is about 25 gal per day for our
glorious travel trailer hovel.

teleflora

Jul 9, 2007, 10:10:12 PM7/9/07
I finally broke down and bought a Chillow last year. I don't think I could
sleep without it now.

http://www.smarthome.com/3203.html

Cindy

"pc" <p...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

hchickpea

Jul 10, 2007, 12:04:24 PM7/10/07

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message

> "hchickpea" <hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Oh yeah, with two of us, the water lugging is about 25 gal per day for
our
> >glorious travel trailer hovel.
> Hey! Good to read you! Elsewhere, you wrote:
> >We had a storm today that deposited about
> >3" of rain in the area. The creek is full, and audible from the road
> Suggested thought(s) for the day:
> catchment(s);
> ram pump.
> Got pictures?
> --
> Derald

The trailer is on the other side of the county road, and the creek water is
brown with mud and over 1000 feet away, so using the water from it isn't
feasable. We have an old well on this side of the road that I've got to get
working for irrigation and animals, and might use for shower water but not
drinking. If lugging water becomes too much of a burden, there is county
water available.

No pics right now, the card is full and needs to be offloaded. Besides, for
various reasons, I probably won't make images of the property available on
the web.

PaPaPeng

Jul 10, 2007, 12:26:49 PM7/10/07

When I was in hospital the nurse asked if I wanted a warm blanket.
Its rare that anyone fusses over me so I said yes. She took one from
a warming cabinet and it felt really warm and toasty comfortable. Now
apply the same idea to cooling. Perhaps store a light blanket in a
cold box and use that to get to sleep fast. May have to repeat with
fresh cold blankets throughtout the night but at least you do get to
catch some zzzs sometime.

Message has been deleted

syynik

Jul 10, 2007, 1:52:07 PM7/10/07

Before getting central air, I'd wet a t-shirt, put it on, and fall
asleep on top of the covers. The bed does get a little damp, but in
140 degrees and 9 million % humidity, who cares...

Syynik

hchickpea

Jul 10, 2007, 5:25:12 PM7/10/07

> "hchickpea" <hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We have an old well on this side of the road that I've got to get
> >working for irrigation and animals, and might use for shower water but
not
> >drinking.
> Mercy, you've not had it tested?

First I have to get some water out of it. The home will be on the other
side of the road. What we are doing now is temporary, so lugging water is
cheaper and easier. The well was used for a number of years for drinking
water, but has been unused for the last four or so. The hoophouse will use
a lot of water, so restarting it will keep from wasting the county water
(which is a smallish pipe for a long stretch of road).

Chois...@search.aol.com

Jul 10, 2007, 10:12:07 PM7/10/07
syynik <syy...@hotmail.com> in

> On Jul 9, 6:56 pm, "Tockk" <t...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I saw a movie where some folks went to bed with hot water bottles to keep
>> warm in winter. That got me thinking . .
>>
>> So, I took one of the blue ice bags in my freezer, wrapped it in a small
>> towel, and slept with that in this hot weather. I won't say that it's the
>> cure for the hot weather sweats, but it helps.
>
> Before getting central air, I'd wet a t-shirt, put it on,

drape wet towel over your body. may have to rewet it from nearby bucket, but
eventually you'll fall asleep.

>and fall
> asleep on top of the covers. The bed does get a little damp, but in
> 140 degrees and 9 million % humidity, who cares...
>
> Syynik

imitate dogs.
midday nap on a cool shaded concrete slab, mmmm

pc

Jul 13, 2007, 5:47:45 PM7/13/07

Waves back Mr. Chickpea! So sorry we couldn't get together again before
your grand adventure. Tell Mrs. Chickpea that the seeds from Gene
Joyner are doing great..as is the spider plant she gave me. The lotus
was a no go. Am trying Arabica coffee now. Hmm..visions of sipping my
morning cuppa a few years from now. Haha.
Do you remember when I lugged water from the spring in VT? It was quite
a chore. I feel your pain!

But..I digress. Apologies.
We have a ceiling fan that we run at night. I also have a great little
clip on fan that I sometimes put on the headboard and position my way.

These don't help much when my internal thermostat goes into overdrive.
But, pillow flipping does.

Maybe Nick is onto something. If I could replace the innards of my
pillow with something like copper scrubbies, the heat might dissipate
quicker.
The 'Chillow' cooling mat that Teleflora recommended also seems
interesting. But, I want to research it some more before spending the
money [thanks for the info Teleflora].

Anything involving ice or water in hot and humid Florida is probably not
going to be a good solution.

If I come up with a good solution, I'll post it here.

Rgds..

..PC

pc

Jul 13, 2007, 5:50:46 PM7/13/07

Naps are great. I already do that every day.
But, I still have to flip the friggin pillow. :-)

pc

Jul 13, 2007, 5:52:33 PM7/13/07

I'm going to come to Texas and have you give me a Sinead OConner! :-)

Auntielle

Jul 15, 2007, 3:45:07 AM7/15/07
Just a warning about the "Chillow" pillow. First of all, my husband
bought me 4 of them, when I was going thru some medical difficulties
that caused me to be unbearably hot. I rotated them during the night,
and they were HEAVENLY!!!
However, I made the mistake of sleeping on my side, with a Chillow in
direct contact with my ear. I ended up with a ruptured eardrum, due to
fluid collecting as a result of my ear getting too cold. The pain was
unbelievable.
So please, the chillow is great... just don't sleep with it directly
on your ear.
Good luck,
Auntielle
*I know, I should've known better, but I was so unbearably HOT, I just
wanted relief!

> > PC [missing Vermont these days!]- Hide quoted text -

teleflora

Jul 17, 2007, 4:17:41 PM7/17/07
Wow! I don't believe I've ever heard of that before. That would be
miserable and we aren't allowed to scream and cry like toddlers do with an
ear infection!

Cindy> are we?

"Auntielle" <aunti...@yahoo.com> wrote in message