Dry aging beef at home.

James

Aug 30, 2007, 8:17:40 AM8/30/07
Who here eat home aged beef without stomach distress? Google resulted
in articles on how to and other articles on why not to.

Anyone here ever got sick eating home aged beef?

Is the meat that's turned color on the grocer's shelf actually more
tender and have better flavor?

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Aug 30, 2007, 2:12:52 PM8/30/07
James <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Who here eat home aged beef without stomach distress?

I never ever get 'stomach distress' from food.

> Google resulted in articles on how to and other articles on why not to.

> Anyone here ever got sick eating home aged beef?

> Is the meat that's turned color on the grocer's
> shelf actually more tender and have better flavor?

Yep, thats why its done.

Clinton Wasylishen

Aug 30, 2007, 2:29:11 PM8/30/07
On Aug 30, 12:12 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote

The colour that the meat turns is natural - when exposed to air, that
is how it is supposed to look.

The red colour you see is not natural... not at all. They go the
extra mile to be sure that your meat looks as red as possible...
because that is what we have been conditioned to think is normal.

:o)

st...@bantrel.com

Paul M. Cook

Aug 30, 2007, 8:04:47 PM8/30/07

"James" <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Who here eat home aged beef without stomach distress? Google resulted
> in articles on how to and other articles on why not to.
>
> Anyone here ever got sick eating home aged beef?

Not if it is done right.

> Is the meat that's turned color on the grocer's shelf actually more
> tender and have better flavor?

The key us dryness. Some decomposition is going on but the dryness keeps
that to a minimum. You are removing excess moisture and allowing the meat
to partially break down its connective fibers. Roting and aging are two
different things. Dry aged beef is more purple, rotten meat is brown.

Paul

James

Aug 30, 2007, 10:01:06 PM8/30/07
On Aug 30, 8:04 pm, "Paul M. Cook" <pmBERMUDA_SHORTSc...@gte.net>
wrote:
> "James" <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

T-bone or porterhouse on sale $5/lb for labor day. Good time to try.

Pennyaline

Sep 4, 2007, 12:04:18 PM9/4/07

Dry aged beef still smells like meat. Rotten meat smells foul and
obviously spoiled.

I grew up on "hung" beef (be quiet Sheldon!). My great-uncle, a butcher
in Jersey City, was proud of his ability to obtain and prepare the best
meats available. The minute he knew company was coming for dinner, he
would cut and hang fine steaks in anticipation. There is no taste equal
to that of a well-aged steak.