preparing meals ahead of time

OhioGuy

Aug 27, 2007, 1:04:39 PM8/27/07
Last night, I prepared twenty something meals ahead of time. One of my
friends gets these meals and after eating them, they clean the paper things
the meal came in out. I have meant to reuse them for some time, so I had a
pile of them. They are just compressed paper with 3 compartments for
different foods.

I fixed a huge batch of mashed potatoes, and also had fish sticks, rice
with meatballs, turkey nuggets, and several miscellaneous vegetables which I
put in the packs.

The only problem I have is sealing them. One of my friends suggested
using plain old white glue, smearing it around the top, then laying reynolds
wrap on it. That didn't work so great - the glue didn't set up or
something - evidently I was worried about the food spoiling, and put it in
the freezer before the glue could set up. I allowed it an hour and a half,
but evidently that wasn't enough.

My wife thinks we should just wrap the reynold's wrap around several
times, but I think there must be a better way. Besides, I'd prefer to
minimize how much of the plastic wrap we have to use.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? I'd like some suggestions.
Thanks!

Wooly

Aug 27, 2007, 2:56:16 PM8/27/07
OhioGuy wrote:

Cheaper yet in the long run are Sterilite or Rubbermaid meal totes:
divided plates with plastic covers. They're freezer-safe (and stack
nicely!), go into the microwave too if one remembers to crack the seal
first. The initial cost looks steep but in the long run you'll save
money on paper plates, wrapping, etc.

IIRC Tupperware used to make a set of stacking meal totes: several
partitioned plates that sealed together, with a single lid for the one
on top of the stack.

Rod Speed

Aug 27, 2007, 3:10:59 PM8/27/07

I use plastic containers with snap on plastic lids. They last a lot
longer and the lids are much easier than what you are attempting.

I think the commercial ones you are trying to reuse are
heat sealed and that isnt that easy for you to replicate.

Shawn Hirn

Aug 27, 2007, 8:10:56 PM8/27/07

Using those paper trays again is not sanitary. I suggest you go with the
idea of using Tupperware or other plastic containers that are designed
for exactly what you want to do.

OhioGuy

Aug 28, 2007, 6:18:55 PM8/28/07
> idea of using Tupperware or other plastic containers that are designed
> for exactly what you want to do.

Nope, I want to reuse something that would otherwise be thrown away after
1 use, not buy something new.

Plus, I don't microwave in plastic, ever. I am convinced that cooking in
plastic causes health problems.

John Weiss

Aug 28, 2007, 6:26:25 PM8/28/07
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote...

> I want to reuse something that would otherwise be thrown away after 1
> use, not buy something new.

The plastic bags that overwrap produce can be reused. So can plastic
containers from butter, cottage cheese, etc.

Use the bags to cover plates, bowls, etc for the freezer. Suck as much air out
as you can with your mouth, then tie a knot to seal it. Use the containers
with their own covers.

> Plus, I don't microwave in plastic, ever. I am convinced that cooking in
> plastic causes health problems.

What information leads you to that conclusion? What plastics are involved?

In any case, you can transfer frozen foods to a plate or bowl for reheating in
the microwave, after [partially] thawing on the counter or in water in the
sink. Cover with a napkin or waxed paper as desired.

Dennis

Aug 28, 2007, 7:08:09 PM8/28/07

There is a type of plastic wrap available (maybe "Press-n-Seal" or
something similar) that has a sticky coating on one side. If the
containers are clean, it would probably stick well enough to do what
you want.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Rick

Aug 29, 2007, 1:32:16 AM8/29/07

So, microwaving a reused paper type container with an application of
Elmer's glue on the edges is healthier because...?

Why not just freeze the meals in plastic and transfer the contents to a
glass container if you are opposed to microwaving in plastic?

The problem I see is that you want to re-use items that are, by design,
made for only a single use and not designed to be cleaned. You know -
that health problem concern when the paper container starts to absorb
more contaminants than you can wash off. It may just not be practical.
Reusing resealable tubs that deli salads come in? Absolutely. Resuing
cardboard-y trays from Michelina's entrees that you have to rip the
cover off to open? Not gonna happen.

But it's your call.

Rick

larry

Aug 29, 2007, 10:12:11 PM8/29/07

> The plastic bags that overwrap produce can be reused. So can plastic
> containers from butter, cottage cheese, etc.

I think reusing glass containers is a better idea, some
(most?)paper or plastic is now designed to decompose.

> Use the bags to cover plates, bowls, etc for the freezer. Suck as much air out
> as you can with your mouth, then tie a knot to seal it. Use the containers
> with their own covers.

Used to use plastic frig containers to store things like 5
oz portions of (can) spaghetti sauce etc. Froze in 5 oz cups
used as forms. But found 50 count sandwich zipper bags @ $1
at the $G/A$ stores work much better. Will hold 3 servings
each and take up less space in freezer. They get smaller as
you use servings and at 2 cents, just trash them. Also, use
a soda straw inserted along zip to draw out the air.

Freeze "egg pucks" (2 oz egg omelet mix microwaved 3-5 min
medium power* in glass ashtrays) freeze and zipper bag. Also
bake big biscuits and freeze and bag them. To use, zap puck
45 sec, slice biscuit, add puck, zap 20 secs more. (Add
sausage if desired, isn't the egg bad enough?)

* start low power and short times, otherwise you get to
clean up an eggsplosion!

Sautee chopped onion and mushrooms and freeze/bag 3oz pucks
for quick mushroom burgers. Do when boss will be away for
hours, I like HOT skillet sautee. Put smoke alarm on
vacation ;-)

-larry / dallas

val189

Aug 30, 2007, 4:30:15 PM8/30/07
Wen I've done some marathon cooking, I store the results this way.
Place 2 person portions in gallon size ziplock bags, then stack these
in a Rubbermaid container base and freeze. The food will take the
shape of the Rubbermaid container, and save a lot of space in your
freezer. When they're frozen, remove from the Rubbermaid and restack
in your freezer. Be sure to label them with date and name of entree.