They're spoiling christmas

timeOday

Nov 4, 2007, 12:59:35 AM11/4/07
Here it is, only the first few days of November, and I can't go into a
store without be bombarded by Christmas advertising. I like Christmas,
but it's hard not to get sick of it before Dec 25th with marketing gone
amok. I wish there would be a consumer backlash to force Christmas back
until after Thanksgiving. But I guess spoiling Christmas for the
majority doesn't matter to advertisers so long as it gets a few people
to shop.

Sarah Gray

Nov 4, 2007, 2:21:21 AM11/4/07

You could be Jewish, like me :)
I have to admit, I like all the cookies, though.

--

Sarah Gray

joe brown

Nov 4, 2007, 4:31:55 AM11/4/07
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

Do the decent thing and set fire to yourself in 'protest' or sumfin.

That will get them to change their ways for sure.

Don K

Nov 4, 2007, 7:34:32 AM11/4/07
"timeOday" <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in message

Which is a good reason to stay out of those malls and stores as much
as possible.

I don't go holiday shopping until I'm in the mood to do so, which for
me, is a lot closer to the holidays. Until then, I have no trouble staying
away from malls and such.

Don

Marsha

Nov 4, 2007, 10:25:39 AM11/4/07
Don K wrote:
> "timeOday" <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in message
>>Here it is, only the first few days of November, and I can't go into a
>>store without be bombarded by Christmas advertising. I like Christmas,
>>but it's hard not to get sick of it before Dec 25th with marketing gone
>>amok. I wish there would be a consumer backlash to force Christmas back
>>until after Thanksgiving. But I guess spoiling Christmas for the
>>majority doesn't matter to advertisers so long as it gets a few people
>>to shop.
>
> Which is a good reason to stay out of those malls and stores as much
> as possible.
>
> I don't go holiday shopping until I'm in the mood to do so, which for
> me, is a lot closer to the holidays. Until then, I have no trouble staying
> away from malls and such.
>
> Don

It's easy enough to stay away from the malls, but even
the grocery stores around here brought out the candy
canes and Christmas decorations last week. You can't
avoid grocery shopping.

Marsha/Ohio

mavigozler

Nov 4, 2007, 11:48:27 AM11/4/07
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in misc.consumers.frugal-
living:

I would bet that if someone does a study, they will find that the time that
the marketing of Christmas by retailers begins is dependent upon the
expectations of those retailers about how glum or optimistic they are about
the forecasted sales.

My view is that the earlier they start, the more pessimisstic they are
about the Xmas (commercialized Christmas) season.

I hear "economists"---cheerleaders for the government's present economic
policy who make (probably paid) appearances on CNBC---say that Christmas
2007 is going to be hopeful for retailers, which contrasts with my belief
that starting the Christmas shopping season before the Friday after
Thanksgiving day (the "official" opening of the Xmas season) is a sign that
they are not hopeful.

Anthony Matonak

Nov 4, 2007, 11:53:12 AM11/4/07
Marsha wrote:

> It's easy enough to stay away from the malls, but even the grocery
> stores around here brought out the candy canes and Christmas decorations
> last week. You can't avoid grocery shopping.

You can avoid almost anything except death and taxes. They're
working on the death part. :)

A lot of places you can get your groceries delivered.

Anthony

Jon v Leipzig

Nov 5, 2007, 9:17:50 AM11/5/07

Think yer spot on. Was on the tube yesterday (CNN), the reason for the
early start is that the major retailers, such as Walmart are "nervous"
about the Xmas shopping season.