Thank China for cheap Thanksgiving Black Friday shopping

david_h...@hotmail.com

Nov 27, 2007, 4:11:41 PM11/27/07
All you American consumers should reflect on the post-Thanksgiving
week on the fact, that the "cheap Chinese" your gov't complains about
all the time fuels your economy. I bet you wouldn't pay as cheap for
a home-made product. Just think about it when your government seeks to
limit investments by Chinese companies in US assets. Just bear in mind
that your government owes us 2 trillion dollars in T-bonds; squeak
about trade deficit, but it's us that are ascending. So have a merry
Christmas , but always remember at the back of your collective heads
who really is the master of your economy.

David Huang

Brablo

Nov 27, 2007, 5:19:37 PM11/27/07
It's not $2T, but more like $1.4T.

Oh yeah, why do the Chinese buy our bonds when it appears that our
currency is over-valued? Why don't they buy Euros, Rupees, or even
Yens? I realize that the Japanese pay very little in rates, but the
Fisher Parity Laws are at work.

Finally, there was something in macroeconomics that I never could
understand regarding China and trade deficits. I realize that the
trade imbalance with China is about $200B. But what if the exports to
China are very profitable (i.e. 30% profit margins) compared to China,
who are selling at losses (i.e. -5% proft margins, let's say for
example). So China is losing money to the USA, and this is, in a way,
has the same net-effect as a charity to the USA from China. Am I
missing something here?

I know why China sells at a loss to the USA: To capture market share,
and so foreigners like USA can help set up industries there and teach
them best practices of an industry/corporation.

Rod Speed

Nov 27, 2007, 5:28:32 PM11/27/07
Brablo <gestureo...@yahoo.com> wrote

> It's not $2T, but more like $1.4T.

> Oh yeah, why do the Chinese buy our bonds when
> it appears that our currency is over-valued? Why
> don't they buy Euros, Rupees, or even Yens?

Because those arent running the deficits that the US is, and so
dont have bonds available in anything like the volume they need.

Some countrys dont even have deficits currently
and arent selling bonds anymore because they dont.

> I realize that the Japanese pay very little in rates,

Which might just be why no one is interested in their bonds.

> but the Fisher Parity Laws are at work.

Nope.

> Finally, there was something in macroeconomics that I never could
> understand regarding China and trade deficits. I realize that the
> trade imbalance with China is about $200B. But what if the exports to
> China are very profitable (i.e. 30% profit margins) compared to China,
> who are selling at losses (i.e. -5% proft margins, let's say for example).

That aint what is happening on either count.

> So China is losing money to the USA,

No they arent.

> and this is, in a way, has the same net-effect
> as a charity to the USA from China.

No it aint.

> Am I missing something here?

Yep, china isnt selling at a loss to the US for starters.

> I know why China sells at a loss to the USA:

They dont.

> To capture market share, and so foreigners like USA can help set up
> industries there and teach them best practices of an industry/corporation.

That isnt what is happening either.

James

Nov 27, 2007, 7:02:49 PM11/27/07
On Nov 27, 5:19 pm, Brablo <gestureofresp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's not $2T, but more like $1.4T.
>
> Oh yeah, why do the Chinese buy our bonds when it appears that our
> currency is over-valued? Why don't they buy Euros, Rupees, or even
> Yens? I realize that the Japanese pay very little in rates, but the
> Fisher Parity Laws are at work.
>
> Finally, there was something in macroeconomics that I never could
> understand regarding China and trade deficits. I realize that the
> trade imbalance with China is about $200B. But what if the exports to
> China are very profitable (i.e. 30% profit margins) compared to China,
> who are selling at losses (i.e. -5% proft margins, let's say for
> example). So China is losing money to the USA, and this is, in a way,
> has the same net-effect as a charity to the USA from China. Am I
> missing something here?
>
> I know why China sells at a loss to the USA: To capture market share,
> and so foreigners like USA can help set up industries there and teach
> them best practices of an industry/corporation.

It's the yankee trader who's making China sell at no profit. If the
Chinese factory owner tries to charge a penny more a piece, Walmart
will just order from someone else or maybe buy from Vietnam or India.
The Chinese government allows this because an underpaid Chinese is
better than an unemployed Chinese.

rst0wxyz

Nov 27, 2007, 7:22:07 PM11/27/07

"underpaid" depends on "cost of living standard". If this Chinese
worker can live relatively well and still able to put away some money
in a savings account, then this worker is not underpaid.

American people have a tendency to compare our pay-scale to China's
average worker's pay-scale. Earlier, someone bitterly complained
about Nike paying Chinese workers $1,50/hr, and yet sell their shoes
for US$120.00 per pair. I did the calculation for 1.50 x 40 hours per
week x 52 weeks a year x USdollar to RMB conversion, and it came out
to 24,960RMB per year. This is good income for a Chinese worker in
China.

mercuryinfe...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2007, 8:48:33 PM11/27/07
On Nov 27, 4:11 pm, david_huang2...@hotmail.com wrote:

Reflect on the massive, polluted shithole your country is becoming.
Putrid water, lakes so thick with algae you could walk across them,
coal plants spewing tons of mercury into your air that your children
ingest while thousands of miners die underground. Have a Merry
Christmas while you choke on your polluted air, drink from your
polluted water supplies and eat your chemical and insecticide laden
food.

mercuryinfe...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2007, 8:56:27 PM11/27/07
On Nov 27, 4:11 pm, david_huang2...@hotmail.com wrote:

Of the 20 most polluted cities in the world, 16 are in China. Enjoy.

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-6-10/42510.html

"Environmental problems have become a main factor affecting China's
national security and social stability."

The most polluted city in the world is Linfen, China

webs...@cox.net

Nov 27, 2007, 9:50:42 PM11/27/07

It isn't too smart that the US has allowed one-sided trade laws that
allowed this.
I actually take the time to look to see where things are made. It's
getting tougher to find anything other than "China".
But get off your high horse there, dude.
Too much of our electronic trash is sent to China for processing,
because China allows it to be done improperly and therefore cheaply.
We keep finding things such as lead in toys. Even US consumers aren't
dumb enough to let that continue forever.
Our environmental laws keep our country less polluted and safer. You
may be able to produce things more cheaply, but if one of the reasons
is poisoning and pollution, you will lose big-time.
You are getting off the bicycles and into the cars. You will become
fat like us very soon, and the air will be that much worse.
And your money will also go to OPEC.

China is very competitive because of the currency value imbalance.
But it would be great for China if they recognized the things that the
US has to clean up, and not go down that road.

All things are cyclical. 25 years ago the US was worried that Japan
was selling us everything and buying up the place.

James

Nov 28, 2007, 1:05:39 PM11/28/07
> > better than an unemployed Chinese.- Hide quoted text -

I'm talking about the REALLY underpaid ones. People who mortgage
their health to earn less than it will cost to recover from their job
induced illness. People who recycle electronic garbage without
protection from the poisons. Miners who routinely get kill for about
US$20K death benefits. Factory workers who can only afford to live in
dorms packed like sardines. These people are economically below the
US burger flipper.

Rod Speed

Nov 28, 2007, 2:35:11 PM11/28/07

> I'm talking about the REALLY underpaid ones.

Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

Particularly when you consider what alternate employment is available to them there.

> People who mortgage their health to earn less than
> it will cost to recover from their job induced illness.

Pity about the hordes more that are actually stupid enough to smoke there.

> People who recycle electronic garbage without protection from the poisons.

There's fuck all of them involved in doing that.

> Miners who routinely get kill for about US$20K death benefits.

No one is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to work in jobs like that.

And the vast bulk of mining isnt done in china anyway, they mostly import what they use now.

> Factory workers who can only afford to live in dorms packed like sardines.

Or they choose to live like that.

> These people are economically below the US burger flipper.

Duh. Thats what third world countrys are like, stupid.

William Souden

Nov 28, 2007, 4:05:39 PM11/28/07

Ever heard of forced labor,welfare boy? Of course the idea of labor
makes you ill.

>> These people are economically below the US burger flipper.
>
> Duh. Thats what third world countrys are like, stupid.

This from welfare boy who could not last half a day at his one adult
job,working at a fast food place.

rst0wxyz

Nov 28, 2007, 4:11:44 PM11/28/07
On Nov 28, 1:05 pm, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
> > Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.
>
> > Particularly when you consider what alternate employment is available to them there.
>
> >> People who mortgage their health to earn less than
> >> it will cost to recover from their job induced illness.
>
> > Pity about the hordes more that are actually stupid enough to smoke there.
>
> >> People who recycle electronic garbage without protection from the poisons.
>
> > There's fuck all of them involved in doing that.
>
> >> Miners who routinely get kill for about US$20K death benefits.
>
> > No one is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to work in jobs like that.
>
> > And the vast bulk of mining isnt done in china anyway, they mostly import what they use now.
>
> >> Factory workers who can only afford to live in dorms packed like sardines.
>
> > Or they choose to live like that.
>
> Ever heard of forced labor,

When you talk about forced labor, how much do you think American
prisoners make while doing their time? Is this any kind of comparison
to ordinary working people?